• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Stage Discussion

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, I think this thread should be stickied. And updated. Either/or. Knowing where to fight with Kirby is definitely a good thing. Until today, I wasn't sure about Kirby counterpicks at all. Never thought about Japes.

But here's a question: how does Kirby fare against DK on Japes? Because apparently, Japes is a very good Kirby stage, but I also think that Japes is an above-average DK stage. Who gets more of the advantage there? Initially, I want to think Kirby does due to the extremely high ceiling, all the ledges, and the river... But I note that it wasn't on the list of counterpicks against DK. So is it actually in Kirby's disadvantage to pick Japes against DK?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
A sticky might be a good thing, since even I forgot about this thread. If it doesn't get stickied, I can always update The Competitive Kirby with links to corresponding threads.

But here's a question: how does Kirby fare against DK on Japes?... But I note that it wasn't on the list of counterpicks against DK. So is it actually in Kirby's disadvantage to pick Japes against DK?
There'sa list of counterpicks against DK? Where?

I think we should stay away from debating if Kirby does well or not against characters based on stages... Kirby does not do well against characters in general. What we should do is discuss various advantages (or lack thereof) that Kirby might have against specific characters or in general.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
t!Mmy whats your opinion of FD? I've always said its one of, if not, the worst stage for Kirby. He has no real approach there and gets spammed into oblivion. I was just hoping I could get some input/help on the stage because absolutely EVERYONE(other than kirby mains) just loves FD and when I bring up the argument about it not be even I get flamed, so I was hoping I could get some intelligent opinions on the stage.

Edit: I have a habit of banning FD, but is there a different stage I should worry about more?

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere near the bottom of page 2, you made a post about Kirby vs. DK stages. And while true, Kirby tends not to fare well against anyone else pretty much at all, there are places that you can pick that work to your advantage and your opponent's disadvantage. Because c'mon, Kirby needs all the advantages he can get. Since Kirby vs. DK was a topic on page 2, I figured I'd bring it up, but I guess it's not that important. I have a DK friend to test the idea on anyway. ^_^

As for FD, I think I have to agree with you, Pink Reaper. At least, for the most part. I don't know if it's the outright worst stage for Kirby, but I think it tends to be a bad one. Hard to do much of anything against the quicker characters that can take advantage of the large, flat surface, and it just doesn't seem to work to his advantage.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Final Destination is one of my least favorite stages. It's absolutely horrible for Kirby... at least outside Kirby dittos.

The reason is because all other characters are going to have some major advantage that they can exploit even better on that stage than any other. If it's speed, they can run circles around Kirby. If it's projectiles, they can spam with extra distance. If it's combos, they have extra floor space and no obstructions.

On Kirby's side of things, he has nothing that benefits from a big, empty battleground. The best he can hope for is that his opponent is not especially fast, has no spammable projectile, no chain-grabs, and is poor at comboing. This basically means his best match-ups on this stage would be Bowser, Mewtwo, Zelda, Roy, and Donkey Kong. Even Jigglypuff will have an easy time because she can abuse her aerial mobility against Kirby, using the extra ground space to her advantage.

Personally, I think even Yoshi's Story is better than FD for Kirby. V_V

Zane, feel free to give input on any DK info you have. There's no DK main in my entire state. o_o

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I'll agree that FD isnt a good counterpick for kirby, but i wont go as far as to say it's a bad stage.

Sure, other characters are going to have advantages, but they're going to have them regardless of the stage. You're still kirby. :(

__

I myself do like stages with platforms, though. U.tilt -> u.air because so much better when you read their techs on platforms.

__

I still say Rainbow Cruise is the end-all kirby stage, though. XD

Sandwich

Smash Ace
I think Rainbow Cruise is a good counterpick.
It keeps moving and the space created from the movement makes for some good Kirbycides and stuff.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
I agree fullheartedly with you on FD, T!mmy. Kirby just can't exploit an advantage there as well as nearly any other character.

As for Kirby vs. DK though? Perhaps if I knew more about the ape, but as it stands, his DK destroys my Kirby for the most part. Gonna have to try Japes on him. I'll be playing him on Saturday, so I'll put in some Kirby vs. DK stuff, see what I can figure out. ^_^

Me14k

Smash Lord
Kirby has advantage over DK.

Why? DK's grab misses a standing kirby, and we all know that DK is all about the grab-uair or the bair.

About that bair, Kirby's bair surprizingly out prioritizes DK's bair.

UpB edge gaurd is usefull against a DK. DK's need to meet the edge even with it..upB is an easy hit/kill on the DK.

BTW: Zane, can't you only have one main and one second? Perhaps your main is sheik, second is kirby, tercery ganon, 4th marth, 5th jigs, 6th g&w?...Just a thought.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Why? DK's grab misses a standing kirby, and we all know that DK is all about the grab-uair or the bair.
So according to that logic, not only does kirby have an advantage over DK, who's game is apparently built around cargo grab to u.air.

Kirby also has the advantage over sheik, who's game is built around chaingrabs (and needles) to fair,

and ganon.

........ XD MANG!!!

But yeah, the range of DK's b.air completely ***** kirby. I mean ****, the range of DK's b.air almost ***** marth. That says something.

Zane Fleia

Smash Journeyman
Kirby has no advantage over DK. Or pretty much anyone. Ever. You don't play Kirby and assume to have an advantage. Kirby's Bair doesn't outdo DK's. Saying Kirby has an advantage over any other character is pretty much lying.

Also, I have two mains and four secondaries. Deal. ^_^

Top Bottom