• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Stage Discussion

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby, Stages, & You

Instead of adding a new section to The Competitive Kirby, I decided to make this new thread for Stage analysis. This should make things easier to find, read, and disscus.

Updates:
2007-06-13: Added Final Destination
2007-02-09: Added Jungle Japes

Random Select stages
  • Final Destination - Special Stages
This is perhaps the most commonly played Neutral stage. The wide, flat formation of this stage and its lack of any random aspects all contribute to it's popularity. Unfortunately for Kirby players, it is not a very favorable stage as its most beneficial to fast, spammy, or combo-driven characters - Fox being an obvious example.

Kirby is not fast, doesn't have any projectiles to spam, and is far from being seen as a "combo" character. So what's a Kirby player to do? Well, you have to know what to expect from your opponent, and then find something to do against it.

For instance, it's likely - expected, even - that Fox and Falco will start Short Hopping Lasers at you right from "Go". Your options here are to crouch under them as you approach... or I suppose you could just Power Shield all of them. Seeing as crouching is much easier than 100% Power Shielding, I suppose that's a good way to start. If they shoot lasers low enough to hit a crouching Kirby, (power) shield it and continue onward.

Other forms of spammy projectiles are much easier to deal with. Turnips, pills, boomarangs, etc., take time to execute, can be caught, knocked away with an attack, and/or have lag in their use. Making your way toward these characters is much easier than against Fox and Falco. The exception perhaps being Shiek because her needles can be shot downward from the air and land-canceled like Fox and Falco's. Unlike Fox and Falco, though, she can't hit a crouching Kirby from far off. This just means that she's more limited in how to hit Kirby, so you'll know she'll have to jump into the air before using Needle Storm as you get close, which is a good time to move in for an attack.

Mobility is another problem for Kirby on Final Destination. Fast characters can take advantage of the wide space so much better than Kirby can. Captain Falcon, for instance, can run from one side of the stage to the other before Kirby can get his fat butt into gear. On top of it, other characters who aren't fast, but have a long slide, can use that in place of their dashes - I'm talking about Ice Climbers and Luigi specifically.

The best way to deal with these charactes is to be patient and to keep them guessing. Fast characters - aside from the "spammy" ones mentioned earlier - aren't especially adept at camping from a distance. Captain Falcon will have to move in for the attack at some point, Ice Climbers can't shoot blocks of ice at you forever, and Luigi's fireball is pretty lame. Keep your distance, and keep your guard up. You have to know what they'll approach with, and when they'll do it. Most of the time, fast characters will dash dance and then move in for a quick aerial attack - Ice Climbers will probably slide back and forth before coming in with a d-smash, jab, or grab usually accompanied by a desynch'd Ice Shot or Blizzard. You just have to know what to do in each of these situations and for each character.

Characters who are neither fast, nor spammy, are much easier to deal with on Final Destination. Specifically this includes Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Roy,Yoshi, Ness, Game & Watch, Zelda, Bowser, and Mewtwo. These are about as "fair" of a fight as you'll find on FD.

Counter Pick Stages
  • Jungle Japes - DK Island
Kirby's Best Stage Counterpick: Jungle Japes

It's important for you to know what your options are when counterpicking a stage. This is, of course, dependant of the rules of the tournament. It wouldn't, for instance, be very helpful to know a banned stage is a good counterpick. You're in luck, though, because Kirby's best stage is commonly allowed for a counter-pick. Jungle Japes!

The first question that you want answered is probably "Why Jungle Japes?" Or maybe it's "Which stage is that"? The answer to the later is "it's the Donkey Kong level with the river - not the waterfall - and the blue claptrap that jumps up and kills people." (the claptrap is affectionally nicknamed "Skill").

As for why, well, there are a number of reasons. First of all, Jungle Japes has an amazingly tall ceiling (tallest in the game), which does well for keeping floaty Kirby alive. Secondly, the whole stage in itself is a mindgame. Many people rarely play on this stage, and even if they do it still holds many advantages for Kirby, which I will now talk about.

The river adds an major obstacle to recovery. No longer can people expect to drop down safely and return to the top. This goes along with Kirby's D-air meteor exceptionally well. In addition, fast fallers such as Fox and Falco (banes of Kirby) have some of the most difficult of times recovering out of the river. Kirby, on the other hand, is floaty and actually benefits from the river's current allowing him to move horizontally under the wooden planks and recover at leisure. (just watch out for Skill!)

What's more is that the stage design helps making Kirbycides all that much easier! Two small platforms and a smallish main platform means lots of ledges, and we all know how much Kirby loves ledges! Backdrops, Forward Suplexes, and Swallowcides are all within easy reach now. But wait, there's more! Each and every ledge allows Kirby to U-throw Kirbycide quickly and easily. If you catch someone at the edge of one of the platforms, don't bother with damage, just do a U-throw and kill them mercilessly! In fact, players completely unfamilar with this level will often times SD by their own actions (Do It Yourself Kirbycide). :evil:

Edge Guarding is amplified as well. Dsmashes work great on an opponent who has to maneuver around your Edge Guarding, the river's current, and Skill's jaws. What's more, the platforms are so thin that they're hard to wall-tech from, and wall-grapplers like Samus and Link will find it exceptionally difficult to latch onto.

There are other advantages Kirby has on this level, which I will go into detail at a later time. For now, here are some videos of Kirby on Jungle Japes to show how Kirby can use this stage to his advantage.

Kirby vs Pikachu
Jungle Japes (Teams)

Upcoming Stage Discussion:
  • Battlefield - Special Stages
  • Yoshi's Story - Yoshi's Island
  • Fountain of Dreams - Dream Land
  • Dreamland - Past Stages
  • Pokemon Stadium - Kanto
Counter Pick Stages
  • Rainbow Cruise - Mushroom Kingdom
  • Green Greens - Dream Land
  • Brinstar - Planet Zebes
  • Mute City, F-Zero Grand Prix
  • Poke Floats - Kanto Skies
  • Kongo Jungle - Past Stages
Banned Stages
  • Flatzone - Superflat World
  • Icicle Mountain - Infinite Glacier
  • Temple - Hyrule
  • Great Bay - Termina
  • Fourside, Eagleland
  • Yoshi’s Island - Yoshi's Island
  • Brinstar Depths - Planet Zebes
  • Big Blue - F-Zero Grand Prix
  • Mushroom Kingdom
  • Mushroom Kingdom II
  • Venom - Lylat System
  • Corneria - Lylat System
  • Yoshi's Island - Past Stages
  • Princess Peach's Castle - Mushroom Kingdom
  • Kongo Jungle - DK Island
  • Onett - Eagleland

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
Sounds interesting. Unfortunately for me, Jungle Japes is banned for the Calgary Bi-weeklies IIRC. I'll check it out, though.

I myself have always had success on Fountain of Dreams and Kirby 64 for neutral stages. I know, two very different stages.Fountain of Dreams, you can't Kirbycide with ease. However, the randomly rising platforms often help me, as Kirby can easily use them to his advantage when most other characters cannot. Large, techable surface is an issue, but i tend to focus on off edge edgeguard, or I try to. Unfortunately, it's easy for Samus and Link to recover.

However, Marth is an issue, and Peach can be too. To Marth, it's kinda like a second Yoshi story. Peach CAN use these platforms for dangerous Down smashes, but they also can spontaneously mess up her float cancel, and turnip game. It's one of my favourite counterpicks against pesky Space animals. ESPECIALLY Falco.

Kirby 64 leaves a lot of room to recover, so it isn't that great against Peach, Samus or Jiggs. However, if you're survival skills (DI, teching, Meteor cancelling) are good, you can survive for awhile. The large boundaries aren't as much of a problem because Kirby relies heavily on edgeguard for kills anyway.

Counterpick wise, I've had some success on Green Greens. You can use the apples, you can take advantage of the bombs with your Rock. Kirbycides can be used easily, if you know what you're doing. Howeverm the small boundaries are a big problem.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Green Greens is a terrible Kirby stage. :p
I had trouble against a scrubby Fox and only won because he walked right into my Kirbycides and didn't break out.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
Ok, in my school I made it to the finals of a tourney (I posted a link for this in the Video Discussion), and the person I'm going to play against plays an aggresive falco. The match is best of five. I'm going to play kirby against it (along with some gw). The rules are that the person who loses is allowed to change his character, while the winner is not. The loser is also allowed to choose a counterpick stage (: . Anyone have any ideas for a good counterpick stage against a falco? (The banned stage list is the same as mlg)

So far I was thinking about Kongo Jungle (the old 64 stage) because it has a high ceiling. And kirby, with his good vertical jumping, can creatively recover through the floor of the stage, and also use the barrel to his advantage. The slight hills on the base of the stage also could screw up falco's shl a little.

Any other thoughts for stage vs falco?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I would suggest Jungle Japes, but I don't know if you're comfortable fighting there or not. Otherwise, Kongo Jungle 64 could be a good choice (make sure he doesn't spike you through the ground as you recover). Mute City and Rainbow Cruise could also work well for you.

Mute City has those cars that juggle fast fallers (and the moving floor). It also has a part where the stage becomes a platform that Kirby can "mole" under the same way as KJ64. It also allows easy edge guarding with spikes and D-smash against Falco because there is no ledge for him to aim his recover moves onto.

Rainbow Cruise is good because lasers are easier to avoid. The stage is also broken up and moves around after the ship making for many ledges to go for Kirbycides. Also, you can turtle and play defensive until the stage loops back to the ship so that you can U-throw Kirbycide when you have high-damage.

But, yeah, if it were me, I'd definately take an aggressive Falco to Jungle Japes and laugh as you SD'd into the water.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
DK 64 is great for Kirby against just about anyone.

RC not so much against space animals unless you like losing. They're quickness and manuverability are just to much on moving stages. RC is a great space animal stage. Don't go there.

And unless you swallowcide on the right edge of the level, you'll die before you can recover on Jungle Japes. The current will sweep you away.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
He said his tournament is at his school, and we all know that school tournaments don't have the highest level of play. >_>
So, Rainbow Cruise would be perfectly fine. I would bet the Falco player doesn't even know Falco can shine Kirby off the top of the screen.

And I'd swap stock with a good Fox or Falco on Jungle Japes any day. If I can recover after a Swallowcide, so much the better.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
He said his tournament is at his school, and we all know that school tournaments don't have the highest level of play. >_>
So, Rainbow Cruise would be perfectly fine. I would bet the Falco player doesn't even know Falco can shine Kirby off the top of the screen.

And I'd swap stock with a good Fox or Falco on Jungle Japes any day. If I can recover after a Swallowcide, so much the better.
For RC it has a lot to do with how quickly the spacies can go from one platform to the next and then position them selves to hit you as you try to move with the stage, not as much on techniques and combos.

And who said his school had bad players? If it was at my school I know there'd be like 5 really good players that could all hold their own, if not beat, some of the big name players. I know because it has happened at our local tournaments that the CoK and Gamer Guild have attended. So :p to that!

And the Jungle Japes thing... I know, I was just saying it because so many people on here were like, "Japes!? What!?" so I thought I'd explain a fine point of the level.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Yeah, but, U-throw to Kirbycide is priceless when your opponent has never seen it before. ^_^

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I've always been a fan of DK64. A good number of fun tricks with that stage.

As far as RC, it's fine against Fox, but I wouldn't recommend it against Falco. A moving stage is actually useful against space animals because it makes them actually have to come after you... which, IMO, is how they're most easily dealt with. Uthrow suicides (and a few key points for non-suicides :Þ ) can be a nice equalizer or finisher.

Dodger

Smash Ace
Wow I had no idea JJ had such a high ceiling. I'll definitely have to try that in the future.

I once played a doc player who beat me down on a regular stage, but I beat him pretty convincingly on Mute City.

And pokefloats is fun too. Although it has short ceilings/walls so you have to be careful.

Metal_man69

Smash Cadet
After I read this I tried Jungle Japes against my friend's Marth, and I dont recommend it. The platform in the middle is perfect for Marth and he can just barricade himself under it, (His sword goes through, so you aren't safe even if you land on it.), making any sort of approach extremely hard. So I was just wondering what people consider a good stage to counterpick against Marth.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I'm bumping this thread cause I wanted to start a stage discussion, but rather than make a new topic and "take all the credit" - ill go with what's already been said cause I really dont have a **** clue about Kirby's stages.

______

I personally believe that Kirby's recovery is OK (not good enough, cause it's not god or anything) to fit kirby into the "floatie" category (Floatie's being samus/jiggs/peach). Because of that, I personally like Kirby 64 and Mute City when i'm playing Kirby, because I can use the same advantages that the other floaties use.

Beyond that, I dont really know what all works for kirby (yet). I personally like Rainbow Cruise, cause of the horribly gimp kirbicides you can get on the cruise ship (especially the Rainbowcide. . . . NOBODY expects the rainbowcide.)

But other than that, i dont really know anything good for kirby.

Since I just saw this thread, i'm gunna go try jungle japes sooner or later and see how I like it. D:

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I actually like Yoshi's level (the unbanned one obviously... well actually both but still...) because of the close sides and platforms against certain characters. Kirby can edge-guard and use the platforms well. But only against certain characters, like Jiggs or Peach or spacies.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
People tend to think Dreamland is good for Kirby and Yoshi's Story is bad because of the size of the boundries of the two stages. They neglect to notice that Dreamland is much easier to play keep-away from Kirby, which practically any character can do against him. Yoshi's Story also has a short bottom, which makes it much more difficult to foil Kirbycides and Spikes. :)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Hmm.

Well lemme ask you this t!mmy.

Would you be willing to allow kill characters to go to Yoshi's story so you can save you ban for something else? And when I say kill characters, I mean ones like Marth, Ganon, Doc - ones that really get all the pluses of the stage?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
It's small, so it helps doc terrible recovery, and kirby's not a kill character, so a doc player would be less likely to worry about it.

And yeah, bowser does **** yoshi's story. I've seen it with my own eyes.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Every character is a "kill" character against Kirby.

Yes, I've been u-air'd by Fox and KO'd at ~60%, and tippered by Marth on Yoshi's Story and killed ~40%, but those instances are seen about as much as me Kirbyciding someone at 0% - actually, I've Kirbycided people at 0% much more often.

In other words, a smaller, more dangerous stage is better for Kirby than a larger one since he's so light a few more hits won't make up for other advantages.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Especially vs. Bowser. I hate getting camped and chain grabbed by him on Final Destination. >_>

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
I usually only play Final D because i cant stand platform stages especially against marth. the platforms are like barriers that protect the enemy. They just hide under it and then i cant like do full jumps to attack them so it limits my approach. Kirbies movement through platforms is just so slow. that the lag from that always gets me punished. And if u tech on platforms then u get screwed again cuz then they can get u easily cuz u got nowhere to go. I found my experience against falco on FOD to be a very bad one cuz of falcos platform combos and my limited approach. I have found some advantages though of platforms so i have gotten a little bit better with them, but I personally like Final D.

Another stage that i think sucks for kirby is Poke stadium. At first i thought it was ok, but dam was i mistaken. When the stage changes it completely screwed up my game. I was playing a good falco on that stage and when the stage turned into the one with the rock i got completely messed up. i was on the left side of the rock and the falco destroyed me cuz i culdnt see wat was happening and i had no were to go. Then i come back and i get destroyed again because of the weird platforms. I am never gonna play that stage ever again.

I never ever thought about those DK counter stages for kirby though. they are quite good. Ill have to try that out.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Where would be a good stage to take DK? I usually go Battlefield because of the high ceiling and the edge that messes with his recovery, but what else works?

I'm a little bit scared of going Yoshi's because DK's kill capacity is much, much greater than Kirby's. Usually I counterpick Battlefield, Fountain or Dreamland64 with the hope that the high ceiling will spare me from cargo u-throw to u-air kills and the smaller two stages are small so I can pressure easier, but what else works? I'm usually banning Pokemon Stadium because of the space and low ceiling, but is there something else in the neutrals I should be more concerned with?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Kirby vs. DK (Neutral Stages)

Final Destination
DK doesn't have donkey lasers, banana missiles, and other such spammy attacks like other characters do. Final D has a pretty deep bottom, but that works in Kirby's favor since DK's vertical recovery is garbage and cheap kills are more likely to go unthwarted. The main disadvantage in this stage is the open area which helps DK's mobility more than Kirby's.
Final Destination works best for a Kirby who is good at spacing his attacks and can move quickly.

Dreamland
Spikes/Kirbycides not withstanding, DK takes a while to KO on Dreamland. However, the high ceiling guarentees that Kirby won't be easily killed from a cargo throw -> U-air combo which will let Kirby survive to higher percents making it easier to escape from the next throw -> u-air combo. This generally forces DK to try to land a single, stronger hit (smashes, giant punch, etc).
Dreamland works well for a Kirby who can be evasive and patient enough to build up damage without taking hits and is adept at edge-guarding and cheap kills.

Fountain of Dreams
The close quarters and changing platforms make this an obvious "pressure" stage, and perhaps the better choice out of the "small" stages. Recovering from a Swallowcide is difficult on this stage, but DK's large size helps make up for it. DK will find it harder to hit Kirby on this level because the platforms can give Kirby mobility, overhead protection, and more chances to tech or tech-roll out of combos.
FoD is most advantageous to Kirby players who can move in and out of attacks easily, are very good at timing Swallowcides, and play unpredictably.

Pokemon Stadium
The wider area of the Stadium gives DK more breathing room, so you have to know how to use the platforms to your advantage. KOing DK on this takes a little more effort since his weight will work against you. Try to knock DK off the side at a lower angle and use the stages' jutting ledges against his horizontal recovery. If the stage changes formation, don't hesitate to camp in the small areas - Kirby can get hits in those places better than DK can.
Pokemon Stadium is good for a well-rounded Kirby who can fight in a variety of situations.

Battlefield
I would classify this as a short-ceiling stage, which is something to look out for in the Kirby vs DK match-up. The platforms are just out of reach of one of Kirby's full jumps which makes his maneuvers a tad slower, but they still work great for quick u-air attacks. The main benefit of this stage is that there's always a chance that DK goes under the stage's ledge rather than grabbing it.
Battlefield is best for a Kirby who can combo and air-guard well.

Yoshi's Story
It would probably be a good idea to not go to stages with shorter ceilings since Kirby doesn't KO off the top easily and DK would like nothing better than to land a U-air. So Yoshi's Story is at the bottom of my list. Kirby has to use the small stage to his advantage by attacking quickly and making sure to avoid attacks and grabs from DK. Use the small boundaries to your advantage and try to get low-percent kills with U-air and B-air. DK's recovery is slightly compromised since the sides are really short and his Up-B is easier to intercept.
Yoshi's Story is best for a Kirby who can move quickly and out-think his opponent.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I was playing Kirby yesterday and paying attention to the qualities of stages and came to the conclusion that Rainbow Cruise, as fun as it can be, really is not that great of a Kirby stage. Especially against Ganondorf. Any benefits Kirby has - aside from the Rainbowcide - mostly comes from the opponent's unfamiliarity with the stage.

I'm going to update the first post with some comments on the stages when I get the time.

Edit: The first post has been updated. Everyone check it out.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I'm still a fan of my rainbowcides, so i'm not gunna give up RC. D:

I do 'ppreciate you makin the big update though. This'll be real helpful.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
FoD is the worst neutral to take DK and I know because I main DK. I personally despise FoD because I don't play well there and I destroy Kirby's there. I don't think I've ever lost there to a Kirby, which is the match-up I play most by far.

U-air combo kills better than you think and the platforms just set Kirby up for easy u-b kills on the side. The platforms also help DK to tech from hit and survive whereas Kirby not so much. Kirby can not take advantage of the moving platform heights vs DK well.

Dreamland isn't bad at all as long as Kirby refuses to fight in the middle of the stage, which isn't hard because DK has no projectiles! Platforms are too high for u-b and actually help Kirby escape potential hits from DK. The large level certainly helps also because Kirby edge-guards DK easy because of his poor vertical recovery and Kirby lives longer.

Battlefield I don't play because it is just a lame Dreamland so I can't help you there. I imagine it is much the same only Kirby dies easier.

PS- contrary to what T!mmy said, stay off the platforms because you will just get u-air or, more likely, u-b off the stage probably to death. Do try and camp the tighter areas though.

FD, meh. It's pretty striaght-forward. If you don't know how to fight there already quit the game.

Try to avoid YS. The small level kills Kirby easily and he can be u-b on the inner half of the platform. The small stage helps Kirby however as it is easier to get DK off the stage and edge-guard him.

To be honest, stage selection does not matter much in the end as far as character selection goes. Any character can use any stage to some degree, most quite well. Selection should be based more on playstyle of you and your opponent than on who they play as. This is the real determining factor of success on a given stage.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
PS- contrary to what T!mmy said, stay off the platforms because you will just get u-air or, more likely, u-b off the stage probably to death.
This is not in contrast.

Re-reading what I wrote about FoD though, I noticed there was a part where I said it was a "better" stage choice. Originally I was going to talk about the "small" stages in one category which is where FoD is a "better" choice, but now they're not in any particular order, so I'm going to go clarify that now.

Thanks for the input. It's great not only having a DK player with his vantage point, but one who has experience fighting Kirby as well.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Ok, by "better" I though you meant one of the better ones to chose from period.

And for PS you said Kirby has to use the platforms well. DK kills up plus u-b owns faces so Kirby should stay off them. If that's what you mean by using them to Kirby's advantage then... I concur!

Foom

Smash Cadet
I think that kirby is a sitting duck when he is above an opponent, especially when the opponent is someone like marth, or someone with good range or priority. Platforms only hinder kirby when he is on them IMO (when opponent is below). He also moves through them so slowly. When the opponent is on them it isnt that bad though, as kirby can float with mulitple Uairs under the platforms. Then again I really don't know much on platforms as I only play FD.

(Sorry this is Skellitorman on my Bro's account)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
DK kills up plus u-b owns faces so Kirby should stay off them. If that's what you mean by using them to Kirby's advantage then... I concur!
Obviously if Kirby lets DK hit him with Up-B from below, that's not using platforms very well. What I was thinking, specifically, was mobility, such as sliding off of them and hitting an opponent with a b-air, or timing u-airs through the bottom should DK get knocked up and onto a platform.

Kirby's actually pretty bad while standing overhead his opponent on a platform. He has D-smash and... that's about it. (Sucking someone up from below with Swallow is hilarious, though).

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i like using platforms on fod and battle feild becuase of mindgames and platform dropped nairs and bairs.

Top Bottom