• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby is quite lucky....

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I've already stated this, but aside from the brokeness that is Meta Knight and their SSE importance, it isn't necessarily what Kirby got that is unfair, it is what the other more important series (DK) did not get. Don't try to pull out the excuse that DK is part of Mario; because Rare stopped making good DK games, DK has simply turned into a crappy Mario-spin off character with a few DS joke games here and there.
The DK represtation was improved from Melee as well. DK stickers, MORE DK trophies featuring both new and old DK characters

And of course, Pokemon have a whopping SIX reps. More than Mario and NO ONE complains about it.

Maybe if anti-Kirby people stop being hypocritical, they wouldn't look foolish.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The DK represtation was improved from Melee as well. DK stickers, MORE DK trophies featuring both new and old DK characters

And of course, Pokemon have a whopping SIX reps. More than Mario and NO ONE complains about it.

Maybe if anti-Kirby people stop being hypocritical, they wouldn't look foolish.
Kirby and DK both got the short end of the stick in Melee. If Diddy and Dedede were added then, I doubt anyone would be complaining.

As a Mario fanboy, I am astounded that they didn't add Bowser Jr. / Shadow Mario to balance out Mario to Pokemon. Heck, they could make them half-a**ed clones and nothing would happen.

I see no one being hypocritical; if you're referring to me sticking up for the underdog, DK, I am suggesting that it simply get one more character (K.Rool) to make it equal to Kirby (which doesn't lose any representation at all, except for Meta Knight's insanity), and preferably stages that better represent the series as a whole, not just the less important sub-series (spin-off: Rumble Falls, arcade: 75m, although this is not important). And of course the trophy total would be buffed for all series represented. DK is not a problem here (it doesn't need more trophies or stickers), but Kirby has many many ability trophies, making it second to Pokemon (which is understandable) in trophy totals.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
In order the most popular series would go like this.
Mario Bros (including Yoshi, DK, and Wario)
Pokemon
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
F-Zero
Earthbound
Fire Emblem
Pikmin
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
G&W

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
In order the most popular series would go like this.
Mario Bros (including Yoshi, DK, and Wario)
Pokemon
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
F-Zero
Earthbound <- I love these games a lot but they basically have a cult following.
Fire Emblem <- Gigantic in Japan and growing rapidly over here, much higher than EB and F-Zero.
Pikmin <- One of Miyamoto's favorites and one of the best sellers for GC, should be higher than the MOTHER series at least.
Ice Climber <- More popular that KI and G&W?
Kid Icarus <-Two games with basically a cult following=more popular than G&W?
G&W Game & Watch Gallery was popular enough to make four installments (five if you count Game & Watch Collection but not a lot of people know about that one so eh...) of it plus it several of the games were used for the failed e-Reader.
Comments beside bold print...and they're just my opinions =)

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
I've already stated this, but aside from the brokeness that is Meta Knight and their SSE importance, it isn't necessarily what Kirby got that is unfair, it is what the other more important series (DK) did not get. Don't try to pull out the excuse that DK is part of Mario; because Rare stopped making good DK games, DK has simply turned into a crappy Mario-spin off character with a few DS joke games here and there.

Kirby doesn't do much better at all; it's almost a dead series now (despite having its glory days in the SNES / N64 era) Sakurai just threw in the characters he wanted represented in his series. He then threw the rest of the series into the crapper. His bias is unmistakable; three Kirby characters is not overdoing it; three Star Fox characters (a relatively unimportant series made up of 5 games) is too much. Pokemon's six (he counts them as six, cause there are three PT Pokemon to program) and Zelda's 5 to Mario's 4 is unfair. Kirby having three is not that bad; although Sakurai putting two of those characters as top tier, with some stupid advanced tactics, plus a trophy overload and a SSE based on Kirby Super Star shows his bias. People from other series need to monitor him; Nintendo CANNOT allow him to simply run off and advertise his own series, claiming with pride, "I decide everything that goes in the game. No one else!"
Since its obvious you dont play mario ill explain it to you

Yoshi is a Mario character

Wario(while having his own series) is a Mario character

Donkey and Diddy Kong (while they have their own games) are Mario characters.

Anyway 4 things

1)90% of people who didnt main kirby from the start are mad that sakurai is biased

2)In japan doing what Sakurai is doing is very serious as it is dishonerable

3)If you guys are speaking world wide then im afraid that theres no competition, except metriod. In Japan however there are more games that sell better than Kirby.

4)While i said DK was a Mario character he still DOES have a series of his own, and you really coudnt count mario as a apart of that, his series is bigger than Kirbys and he is still only getting 2 characters, dispite K Rool. was one of the most requested

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Oh ya and apparently im biased about Link because i put him on the top with Mario and Pikachu....you poor trolls.........I will spell it out for you poor people

Z-E-L-D-A I-S 3-R-D M-O-S-T P-O-P-U-L-A-R no that is no biased anyone with a IQ of 14 or higher would tell you the same thing

(possibly 2nd seeing how USA is making pokemon drasticly go down hill)

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Since its obvious you dont play mario ill explain it to you

Yoshi is a Mario character

Wario(while having his own series) is a Mario character

Donkey and Diddy Kong (while they have their own games) are Mario characters.

Anyway 4 things

1)90% of people who didnt main kirby from the start are mad that sakurai is biased

3)If you guys are speaking world wide then im afraid that theres no competition, except metriod. In Japan however there are more games that sell better than Kirby.

4)While i said DK was a Mario character he still DOES have a series of his own, and you really coudnt count mario as a apart of that, his series is bigger than Kirbys and he is still only getting 2 characters, dispite K Rool. was one of the most requested
Oh ya and apparently im biased about Link because i put him on the top with Mario and Pikachu....you poor trolls.........I will spell it out for you poor people

Z-E-L-D-A I-S 3-R-D M-O-S-T P-O-P-U-L-A-R no that is no biased anyone with a IQ of 14 or higher would tell you the same thing

(possibly 2nd seeing how USA is making pokemon drasticly go down hill)
That's...wonderful.

Okay, this topic's dead, everyone's IQ is just going to drop dramatically if it goes on much more, so no more posting.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
How, most of the chracters in Smash isn't Kirby chracters. Plus you have to look at every board or talk to people to see if 90% of people hate Sakurai that's not Kirby fans. like you said.

Trying to make a non-competive game is dishonerable? Or are you saying putting the Kirby chracters before everyone else is dishonerable? You have to make that more clearer please.

How is it no competition? If you comparitng them to the Kirby games, then those games has been out longer than Kirby has. And Japan is one country, you have to count them all if you want to compare sells over all, why do you think Panel De Pon is not mention enough? Becasue it's not worldwide and the names are diffrent as it's on to other regoins, (Yoshi and Pokemon cover over the great fairy girls -_-). It would be around Dr. Mario's level if it were worldwide known title. >_>

King Dedede was wanted more than K Rool, (see the Melee and Brawl polls), and Meta Knight was a shoe in if Kirby was getting another rep due to him being important to the Kirby series. But like I said, even though K Rool was one of the most wanted chracters to be in Smash, the fans wanted King Dedede and Meta Knight more.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Kirby and DK both got the short end of the stick in Melee. If Diddy and Dedede were added then, I doubt anyone would be complaining.
Agreed

As a Mario fanboy, I am astounded that they didn't add Bowser Jr. / Shadow Mario to balance out Mario to Pokemon. Heck, they could make them half-a**ed clones and nothing would happen.
We don't need more whiny idiots *****ing about clones

I see no one being hypocritical; if you're referring to me sticking up for the underdog, DK, I am suggesting that it simply get one more character (K.Rool) to make it equal to Kirby (which doesn't lose any representation at all, except for Meta Knight's insanity), and preferably stages that better represent the series as a whole, not just the less important sub-series (spin-off: Rumble Falls, arcade: 75m, although this is not important). And of course the trophy total would be buffed for all series represented. DK is not a problem here (it doesn't need more trophies or stickers), but Kirby has many many ability trophies, making it second to Pokemon (which is understandable) in trophy totals.
It's hypocritical because as I said, Pokemon got the most reps and yet people complain about the Kirby bias? Heck no. The fact that the Pokemon bias is clearly first gen only makes it worse.

As for DK, we got three DK stages here. And 75m is of great importance. Nintendo wouldn't exist if it wasn't for DK arcade.

Star Fox has three characters, clearly equal to Kirby, so by that logic, Sakurai has a StarFox bias.

And of course, must we forget that overall, Nintendo has a HUGE bias for Mario or Zelda and any other series gets largely ignored. You mean to tell me that when another franchise gets the recognition it deserves, people complain about it but NEVER about the obvious Mario/Zelda bias that's been going for 20+ years?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Kirby? Pshhh.

I wanna know who this Mario f**ker is and how the hell he got into my Smash.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I'm not seeing what the problem is, still. Its like you're saying "Kirby fans should be lucky Kirby's creator made Smash, otherwise, Kirby wouldn't be in here, as he shouldn't be in the first place". If that's what you're saying, I still disagree. Very much so. Considering his library of games, his history with Nintendo, his fanbase, the many years he's been around, the fact that the very mention of Kirby Superstars makes anyone giggle with anticipation and nostalgia (KSS was a highly requested game for the Wii's VC with the likes of other heavy-hitters and must-haves/fan favorites until Nintendo dropped the bomb that KSS Ultra would be released). No one is saying "Kirby Mightier Than Mario, Than Pikamon". Considering your belief that Kirby and friends don't deserve to be in the game I'd like to know what your stance is on the Earthbound heroes, Captain Falcon, Pit, the Ice Climbers, et cetera making the cut.

Exactly what qualifies a Nintendo character to be in a SSB game, because if Kirby's status doesn't merit his need, then I'm confused.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
I agree...anyone who says Wario and DK are Mario characters does NOT know their smash bros history.
quit being a troll and ask your mommy about video game history because even she would get this right

DKs first game was with Mario, DK appears in loads of Mario games (Ex:Mario Party) DK was made with Mario, even Diddy kong made it to some mario games including Mario Kart double dash

How, most of the chracters in Smash isn't Kirby chracters. Plus you have to look at every board or talk to people to see if 90% of people hate Sakurai that's not Kirby fans. like you said.

Trying to make a non-competive game is dishonerable? Or are you saying putting the Kirby chracters before everyone else is dishonerable? You have to make that more clearer please.

How is it no competition? If you comparitng them to the Kirby games, then those games has been out longer than Kirby has. And Japan is one country, you have to count them all if you want to compare sells over all, why do you think Panel De Pon is not mention enough? Becasue it's not worldwide and the names are diffrent as it's on to other regoins, (Yoshi and Pokemon cover over the great fairy girls -_-). It would be around Dr. Mario's level if it were worldwide known title. >_>

King Dedede was wanted more than K Rool, (see the Melee and Brawl polls), and Meta Knight was a shoe in if Kirby was getting another rep due to him being important to the Kirby series. But like I said, even though K Rool was one of the most wanted chracters to be in Smash, the fans wanted King Dedede and Meta Knight more.

1)Look around a forum that ISNT kirby, hell even MK would be better at least there are occasionally a lil rants over there, but you see poeple getting pissed all the time at Sakurai ive seen it happen on every single thread (not neccesarily the whole thing tho)

2)Having your game character in the lead when there are at LEAST 5 bigger ones is dishonerable and honor is big in japan.

3)Dont kid yourself because its obvious, they are mainly making this for Japan, they arent looking deep into America to see what we want, they are looking at japan games. Anyway some games dont come outside japan dispite the fact they are great sellers

4)Like i said they are looking into japan so you cant be sure its the same, but good try even so however just because he didnt quite make it doesnt mean that he isnt just as deserving, he may be older than ganondorf for all i know (i forget when they were both made)

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
quit being a troll and ask your mommy about video game history because even she would get this right

DKs first game was with Mario, DK appears in loads of Mario games (Ex:Mario Party) DK was made with Mario, even Diddy kong made it to some mario games including Mario Kart double dash
There's a difference between being a troll and being misinformed. You (and that guy) are misinformed. You're also being a little obnoxious; no need to flame people.

1) Dude, no, people are complaining about way bigger things than a silly "Kirby bias". Everyone here knows Sakurai and Smash and Kirby are connected. Everyone has this common knowledge.

2) No, quit making this up.

3) Sakurai has acknowledged that they've tried to limit the number of Japan only characters.

4) All the character polls were done only in Japan.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
There's a difference between being a troll and being misinformed. You (and that guy) are misinformed. You're also being a little obnoxious; no need to flame people.

1) Dude, no, people are complaining about way bigger things than a silly "Kirby bias". Everyone here knows Sakurai and Smash and Kirby are connected. Everyone has this common knowledge.

2) No, quit making this up.

3) Sakurai has acknowledged that they've tried to limit the number of Japan only characters.

4) All the character polls were done only in Japan.
dude there is one huge thing that caught my eye

"2) No, quit making this up."

you must be ******** if you really think that the japanese culture isnt based on honor.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Its biased and dishonerable, thats possibly the worst thing that you can do in japan is be dishonerable, he is being biased with his game and is therfore being dishonerable

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
1)Look around a forum that ISNT kirby, hell even MK would be better at least there are occasionally a lil rants over there, but you see poeple getting pissed all the time at Sakurai ive seen it happen on every single thread (not neccesarily the whole thing tho)
Ok, now I get what your saying. But nearly the whole portion of people doesn't talk bad about Sakurai though. I'll say less than 40% of the boards IMO, but I'm guessing they're mad due to Meta Knight winning too much though.

2)Having your game character in the lead when there are at LEAST 5 bigger ones is dishonerable and honor is big in japan.
Thanks for making that clearer, but still don't see how Kirby dishonor the code. =/

Mario sieres get's four reps and six stages, Zelda sieres get's four reps and three stages, Pokemon get's six reps and three stages. With that logic, you mind as well say Pokemon broke the code. XD

Lets continue with Donkey Kong, two reps and three stages. And now Kirby, he has three chracters and two stages.... that's almost even but chracters are more loved I see.

Oh now I know why Kirby broke the code.... he's sound track is the best in the game. ;p

3)Dont kid yourself because its obvious, they are mainly making this for Japan, they arent looking deep into America to see what we want, they are looking at japan games. Anyway some games dont come outside japan dispite the fact they are great sellers
Hm, true on some levels but I doubt that it would be the only case. They removed Roy and replaced him with Ike becasue he's the most popluer Fire Emblem lord now, that and majorty of the world didn't know who he is becasue he was only in Japan. After Ike appared in other countries, he was wanted more than Roy would retrun. So that kind of proves that Japan isn't the only ones pulling the strings of Brawl, unless Ike is the most populer Fire Emblem lord in Japan as well, but I thought it was Marth.

4)Like i said they are looking into japan so you cant be sure its the same, but good try even so however just because he didnt quite make it doesnt mean that he isnt just as deserving, he may be older than ganondorf for all i know (i forget when they were both made)
If they were to look in Japan only, then more chracters from Japan would be in Brawl by know, (at least four chracters sieres).

Oh and K Rool is older than Ganondorf, but Ganon is older though.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Ok, now I get what your saying. But nearly the whole portion of people doesn't talk bad about Sakurai though. I'll say less than 40% of the boards IMO, but I'm guessing they're mad due to Meta Knight winning too much though.

Thanks for making that clearer, but still don't see how Kirby dishonor the code. =/

Mario sieres get's four reps and six stages, Zelda sieres get's four reps and three stages, Pokemon get's six reps and three stages. With that logic, you mind as well say Pokemon broke the code. XD

Lets continue with Donkey Kong, two reps and three stages. And now Kirby, he has three chracters and two stages.... that's almost even but chracters are more loved I see.

Oh now I know why Kirby broke the code.... he's sound track is the best in the game. ;p

Hm, true on some levels but I doubt that it would be the only case. They removed Roy and replaced him with Ike becasue he's the most popluer Fire Emblem lord now, that and majorty of the world didn't know who he is becasue he was only in Japan. After Ike appared in other countries, he was wanted more than Roy would retrun. So that kind of proves that Japan isn't the only ones pulling the strings of Brawl, unless Ike is the most populer Fire Emblem lord in Japan as well, but I thought it was Marth.

If they were to look in Japan only, then more chracters from Japan would be in Brawl by know, (at least four chracters sieres).

Oh and K Rool is older than Ganondorf, but Ganon is older though.

Im going to have to admit that I dont think Sakurai knew MK would be that strong, nobody thought he was that great or even good at first.

Ill admit you have a point on that 2nd part, but who else would they add in kirby tho? Nitemare? Knuckle Joe? lol O2 is too big (something ridley fans cant comprehend). Its the symbolism that Sakurai gives to his characters

Kirby, the main protagonest, no im serious he looked more like the main hero than Mario did.

D3 the only one who knew about tabuu, even he perhaps had a bigger role than mario

MK his ship was a big part of the story although ill admit he wasnt that big himself.

Also in the begining of the original Smash it has Mario and Kirby about to spar, it makes kirby look like the mascots only equal.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Kirby, the main protagonest, no im serious he looked more like the main hero than Mario did.

D3 the only one who knew about tabuu, even he perhaps had a bigger role than mario

MK his ship was a big part of the story although ill admit he wasnt that big himself.

Also in the begining of the original Smash it has Mario and Kirby about to spar, it makes kirby look like the mascots only equal.
All this only applies to story mode, which isn't canon and doesn't mean anything at all.

And Mario fighting Kirby does not at all suggest that they're equal; that's just what you want to think.

Top Bottom