• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby is quite lucky....

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Kirby's not lucky. He's popular. You're obviously lacking in knowledge and history since you think of it in that way. I think, personally, Wolf is lucky. Sonic is lucky. Sheik is lucky.

Wolf could have been Krystal, but they went with the rival instead of the love interest. Lucky.

Sonic wouldn't have even been included if it weren't for Sakurai being friends with Kojima. If Snake weren't asked to be included, there's probably no chance that Sonic would have been included because adding Snake opened up the door for other third parties that probably wouldn't have previously been there. That would be luck.

Sheik has only been in one game. One game. The fact that she's still around in Smash Bros when her game came out almost a decade ago... should be surprising. Sure she's popular, but still. There were other characters like Sheik that were popular in games but didn't make it into Melee like she did. I call that luck, too.

In case you guys didn't know, they weren't even planning on releasing the original Super Smash Bros. to the US because they didn't know how well it would do. The game wasn't designed for the American audience. If they'd focused on the fanbase here instead of the Japanese fanbase.. we probably wouldn't have characters like Captain Falcon or Ness, but F-Zero and Mother are major series over there. They were logical choices there.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Kirby is lucky?

How about Snake?

Snake is hardly related to Nintendo. Out of the 23 games in the Metal Gear series listed on Wikipedia, three have been on Nintendo systems, two of which were not made by Kojima, who has voiced his dislike for the two.

Yes, Snake is a very popular character. But what right does he have to be in a crossover game for Nintendo's all-stars?

Sonic has his right from being a major rival of Mario when Sega was still a hardware developer. All of Sonic's new games can be played on Nintendo systems (except '06, but it was a terrible game anyway). Most of Sonic's old games can be played on GameCube through Mega Collection and Gems Collection. Sonic also had an insane amount of fan support since Melee's release. Sonic certainly earned his right to be in the game.

Snake? No. Sorry.

Salvo Fenris

Smash Apprentice
I would like to point out that, although certain characters like Marth or Ness would not have been known as well if it were not for Smash, this applies more to Europe and the U.S. I'm not sure how well known Mother is/was in Japan, it had been a decent length of time since it's latest release when the first Smash was made. However, considering that, although t was hardly known here, I'm fairly certain Fire Emblem is/was still rather popular in Japan, and the game WAS made and released first in Japan. Now, I'm sure they consider all their markets when making these decisions, but I think that at least the cast of Fire Emblem aren't getting as much credit for a rep in Smash as they are entitled to. I'm not agreeing with the statement about Kirby; far from it, and it would be safe to say he has more right for a rep than Mother and possible FE, but don't entirely dismiss these games/characters as unknowns until Smash, as there was already a fan-base in Japan for these games. Just something to consider.

RoboticTuna

Smash Cadet
Mm, the Mother series is blatantly over-represented in comparison to it's popularity.
Shyeah.

Kirby's got far more games than any of the Mother series, and the Kirby series only has one more character than the Mother ones.

Plus, in my opinion Nightmare in Dreamland for the GBA is perhaps my all-time favorite GBA game coming in only behind Advance Wars Two.

Kirby is a large, good, and popular series.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Snake is hardly related to Nintendo. Out of the 23 games in the Metal Gear series listed on Wikipedia, three have been on Nintendo systems, two of which were not made by Kojima, who has voiced his dislike for the two.
Four actually, Metal Gear, Snake's Revenge, Metal Gear Solid (GBC, also known as Metal Gear Ghost Babel) and Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes...but that's besides the point : )

Kirby Air Ride, as much as I love it is actually one of the worst (at least by general opinion) Kirby games out there. Most people genrally disliked it because of its simplistic control scheme and just generally because it wasn't nearly as good as other racing games such as Double Dash!! or F-Zero GX. In fact, the only part of KAR that I really like is the City Trial mode which, oddly enough, has the least to do with actually racing...

Kirby 64 however is one of the most widely recognized Kirby games out there and, while it is amazing, is not the best Kirby game by far (which would hands down go to Kirby Super Star/Ultra). Kirby's Adventure also stands as an amazing platforming game for the NES (amazing enough to be remade into Nightmare In Dream Land) and other games in the series have consistantly sold in the at least a million copies each (usually around two million but don't quote me on that because I don't know my sales facts ._.; )

Plus there's apparently a Kirby Wii coming out soon (in Japan at least...) if you're a fan of the console Kirby games. All in all, all characters in Smash "deserve" to be in it in a way. Even though I generally dislike the hunk o' junk that is ROB I see that he deserves to be in...

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Either your a Kirby hater or knows nothing of Kirby. Kirby has been a Nintendo icon since Kirby Adventure, (the first best Kirby game). And theres little to no bad Kirby game to him to not have enough rep, he's basicly the 5th most important Nintendo icon in Nintendo, (Donkey Kong is 4th but it might change in a bit), he shows up in the top 4 for in Melee and Brawl because he's sieres is important addetion to Nintendo and easeily did needed more chracters due to him not having any other chracters in two Smash Bros, King Dedede was the most wanted chracter to be in Smash next to Sonic and he's one of the most important chracters in Kirby, Meta Knight was, "of course we want him in, he's important to the Kirby sieres as well." Oh and Fire Emblem wasn't a world wide title so not too many people know the chracters or the sieres that well, (kind of like Panel De Pon T_T)

1)Mario
2)Link
3)Pikachu
4)Fox
5)Donkey Kong
6)Jigglypuff (Do not argue with this. Jiigs is more popular then pikachu in japan)
7)Kirby/samus

That's the order of important Nintendo characters IMO.

Just because Kirby is up there does that mean he deserves 3 chars.

Plus him and his partners rules SSE. There is a list of stuff I could say that they didn't deserve in SSE. Pikachu could have easily replaced him in the opening (link had zelda).
Also, who saved peach/zelda? Kirby.
Who saved lucas and PT? Metaknight.
Who saved Ness, Luigi, ____? DDD
Who saved himself because of hunger and saved half the chars in the game? Kirby.

There's more but that's just some stuff that the kirby series got.
What did link get? Nothing, he just followed around.
What did Mario get? Noting, He also followed around.
What did Pikachu get? He saved samus.

Under deserving?

I'm not saying he doesn't belong but sakurai overrated his series.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
.....King Dedede being in almost every Kirby game. Meta Knight being in a good amount of Kirby games, being some how related to Kirby, most of the time an anti-hero in the Kirby games.

How can they NOT, be deserving???

That and mostly all the chracters you mention has the chracters that rep the sieres the most, (maybe not Samus though, and if DK have another game with Dixie Kong maybe she would be in... I don't know anymore T_T). I have little to no clue on the SSE so can't answer to that. =/

Blooqkazoo

Smash Journeyman
1)Mario

6)Jigglypuff (Do not argue with this. Jiigs is more popular then pikachu in japan)

-:bowser:Bowser King
Ya sure? I'm from Japan and I guarantee you Jiggs is not popular than Pika in Japan. Unless you're talking about some weird otakus from Akihabara but those arent the majority.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
.....King Dedede being in almost every Kirby game. Meta Knight being in a good amount of Kirby games, being some how related to Kirby, most of the time an anti-hero in the Kirby games.

How can they NOT, be deserving???

That and mostly all the chracters you mention has the characters that rep the series the most, (maybe not Samus though, and if DK have another game with Dixie Kong maybe she would be in... I don't know anymore T_T). I have little to no clue on the SSE so can't answer to that. =/

I agree that they may be major chars but does that mean they had to be included?
Black Knight is a major part of the new FE games. Was he included? No.
Ridley is part of the Samus series but was he included? No.
Mario series lost reps.
Link series got a replacement (which happens to be a clone).
Pokemon got 2 replacements.
Star fox series got some changes in chars but not completely new movesets like the kirby series.
King K. from DK series could have made it.

No series really grew by such an amount as the kirby series. Were they that deserving?

-:bowser:[Font=Impact"]Bowser King[/Font]

GodotAA

Smash Ace
i do think some bias was put into the game but to say that he got lucky sakurai made the game is stupid

personally i think that all three of them should be in brawl hands down... but annoyed at the lack of reps of the other franchises.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I agree that they may be major chars but does that mean they had to be included?
Black Knight is a major part of the new FE games. Was he included? No.
Ridley is part of the Samus series but was he included? No.
Mario series lost reps.
Link series got a replacement (which happens to be a clone).
Pokemon got 2 replacements.
Star fox series got some changes in chars but not completely new movesets like the kirby series.
King K. from DK series could have made it.

No series really grew by such an amount as the kirby series. Were they that deserving?

-:bowser:[Font=Impact"]Bowser King[/Font]
Ok, now I get what your saying, (kind of slow today). :p

If Kirby were to have another rep it had to be them though, they were mention more than some of the important chracters from most of the sieres that's in Smash already, so they got the spot before they did. That or it was by Sakurai's demand, but we can all agree if you say the Kirby sieres is the only one's that's lucky, then somthings ain't right. =/

Edit:

Randomly Off-Topic: I love your sig GodatAA : )
I see you like his Haruhi Suzumiya sig. :D

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Wow. Just... wow. It got better when I realized that you weren't saying that Kirby wouldn't be playable if not for Sakurai making Brawl (lol) but still a bit... biased. Or at least a bit uninformed. And by a bit I mean very.

Kirby easily deserves his spot as the fourth "main" character. If Sakurai didn't make SSB then maybe there'd only be three "main" characters, but Kirby would be the fourth if there was one.

Kirby has a LOT of games, and is also VERY popular and 90% of those games are REALLY good and well-liked (basically all the mainstream besides Squeak Squad). Star Fox has very few games and many people hate the recent ones, and Metroid also has few games and the Prime series doesn't do well in Japan (D: ). F-Zero has, what, two games (KIDDING. JUST A JOKE) and is not very well known at all outside of Smash (heck, most people think Capt. Falcon was just as surprising to have been in the original SSB as Ness). Fire Emblem has the quantity and is well known in Japan, but not so much here, mostly because it got here really late.

Also I think that if Sakurai hadn't been directing Smash Meta Knight or Dedede would've been in Melee and the third would've been in Brawl. Since Sakurai was holding out 'cause he didn't want to place his creations in over others'.

And the order of importance and well-known-ness/important-ness in Mario, Pokemon, then LOZ, not Mario, LOZ, then Pokemon, kthxby.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Wow. Just... wow. It got better when I realized that you weren't saying that Kirby wouldn't be playable if not for Sakurai making Brawl (lol) but still a bit... biased. Or at least a bit uninformed. And by a bit I mean very.

Kirby easily deserves his spot as the fourth "main" character. If Sakurai didn't make SSB then maybe there'd only be three "main" characters, but Kirby would be the fourth if there was one.

Kirby has a LOT of games, and is also VERY popular and 90% of those games are REALLY good and well-liked (basically all the mainstream besides Squeak Squad). Star Fox has very few games and many people hate the recent ones, and Metroid also has few games and the Prime series doesn't do well in Japan (D: ). F-Zero has, what, two games (KIDDING. JUST A JOKE) and is not very well known at all outside of Smash (heck, most people think Capt. Falcon was just as surprising to have been in the original SSB as Ness). Fire Emblem has the quantity and is well known in Japan, but not so much here, mostly because it got here really late.

Also I think that if Sakurai hadn't been directing Smash Meta Knight or Dedede would've been in Melee and the third would've been in Brawl. Since Sakurai was holding out 'cause he didn't want to place his creations in over others'.

And the order of importance and well-known-ness/important-ness in Mario, Pokemon, then LOZ, not Mario, LOZ, then Pokemon, kthxby.
alright 2 things

1)Both Kirby games for N64 and GC got higher ratings than the others, well most of the others in N64s case.

2)Your missing half the point, its not just that kirbys in brawl its that hes placed above every other character.

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
Ya sure? I'm from Japan and I guarantee you Jiggs is not popular than Pika in Japan. Unless you're talking about some weird otakus from Akihabara but those arent the majority.
So much failure in this post,dont waste our time with your bull

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Wow, a Legend of Zelda fanboy who doesn't know about Kirby and probably other Nintendo franchises that's not Zelda or Mario?

Why am I not surprised? <_<

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
alright 2 things

1)Both Kirby games for N64 and GC got higher ratings than the others, well most of the others in N64s case.

2)Your missing half the point, its not just that kirbys in brawl its that hes placed above every other character.
1) Alright, but that doesn't really have much to do with anything

2) The post you quoted just explained why it's rightfully so. Why are you just complaining about Kirby, and not Mario and Link and Pikachu?

So much failure in this post,dont waste our time with your bull
:ohwell:

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Lol, no one should be surprised from his lack of knowledge. Look at his name.

oh ye i forgot.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!

Okay, I agree with what you're saying about Kirby, but I diagree about everything else. Star Fox, whether or not it's well known, has a HUGE fanbase, albeit not as big as say Pokemon.

As for Fire Emblem, Nintendo used Melee as a tool to get it over in the US, which is why sales of PoR (The game Ike debut in) were off the charts and why Ike is in Brawl as we know it.

Meta-Knight should've been in Melee. Having Dedede in Brawl however just shows his bias towards his own creations (not saying that DDD is a bad character or anything, just his inclusion was uncalled for.)

Kirbykrew

Smash Journeyman
Meta-Knight should've been in Melee. Having Dedede in Brawl however just shows his bias towards his own creations (not saying that DDD is a bad character or anything, just his inclusion was uncalled for.)
King Dedede was the most requested first Party Character by Sakurai's Polls. He even earned more then Geno (Who is 3rd Party I know...)

Also MOTHER/Earthbound games have had a much rougher life then Kirby.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Not only Dedede was the most requested character but he was also suppose to be in the original Smash along with Peach, Pit, and Mewtwo. >_>

Also, Pokemon got FOUR characters. Yet NO ONE complains about the Pokemon bias. <_<

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
Okay, I agree with what you're saying about Kirby, but I diagree about everything else. Star Fox, whether or not it's well known, has a HUGE fanbase, albeit not as big as say Pokemon.

As for Fire Emblem, Nintendo used Melee as a tool to get it over in the US, which is why sales of PoR (The game Ike debut in) were off the charts and why Ike is in Brawl as we know it.

not many people knew about fire emblem except japan. to be honest, characters from golden sun shouldve made it in the smash series instead cause a lot of people know golden sun. and although ddd was mostly requested, sakurai was bias with him, just because he's his creation and he voiced him. i guess sakurai wanted to make himself look good, which is total bull. i hate you sakurai.

King Dedede was the most requested first Party Character by Sakurai's Polls. He even earned more then Geno (Who is 3rd Party I know...)

Also MOTHER/Earthbound games have had a much rougher life then Kirby.
i wish geno made it instead of ddd. i believe that fans made a wrong choice. they shouldve wanted geno more than some fat *******.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Hmmm...and here I was all ready to go into FLAME mode for anyone thinking that Kirby and his kin doesn't deserve to be in the Smash games, and then I read 5 pages of excellent posts giving it straight as to why Kirby DEMANDS to be in a Smash game.

BTW, Nintendo's highest selling franchises to date are:

Super Mario
Pokémon
The Legend of Zelda
Donkey Kong
Kirby

In that order. Kirby makes the top 5. It even surpassed Metroid in sales.

i wish geno made it instead of ddd. i believe that fans made a wrong choice. they shouldve wanted geno more than some fat *******.
Pssffh...yeah right. An obscure one-shot throw-away character over a classic frienenemy from the Kirbyverse. I know, I know. It's your opinion and I respect that, but in my opinion F*** GENO!

Darkest-Link

Smash Apprentice
funny how everyone who doesnt agree with me has a kirby picture or logo on the bottom of their profile.

Anyway these are the games for Japan that are best selling

Mario

Zelda

Pokemon(used to be better than Zelda but USA got the licensing rights and it went downhill)

Metroid

Fire Emblem

WolfCypher had it close but he only got the obvious choices down, and im speaking for Japan where the game is made.

Why dont i complain about Mario, Link or Pikachu? Why am i complaining about Kirby when i do in fact enjoy his games? Because Mario, Link and Pikachu are EASILY bigger than kirby and if it was one of them getting all of kirbys fame i wouldnt mind, they are the biggest icons for Nintendo, yes even Pikachu dispite the fact I started hating pokemon when they finished Johto. But Sakurai is so biased he chose kirby even after Mario, the Nintendo mascot

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
funny how everyone who doesnt agree with me has a kirby picture or logo on the bottom of their profile.

Anyway these are the games for Japan that are best selling

Mario

Zelda

Pokemon(used to be better than Zelda but USA got the licensing rights and it went downhill)

Metroid

Fire Emblem

WolfCypher had it close but he only got the obvious choices down, and im speaking for Japan where the game is made.

Why dont i complain about Mario, Link or Pikachu? Why am i complaining about Kirby when i do in fact enjoy his games? Because Mario, Link and Pikachu are EASILY bigger than kirby and if it was one of them getting all of kirbys fame i wouldnt mind, they are the biggest icons for Nintendo, yes even Pikachu dispite the fact I started hating pokemon when they finished Johto. But Sakurai is so biased he chose kirby even after Mario, the Nintendo mascot
Yeah, like two people. It's very humorous.

Yes, we know all of this. Mario is there. Link is there. Pikachu is there. Worldwide, Kirby has sold more than the rest (except for Donkey Kong, but he's related to Mario). What is the problem again?

Roihu

Smash Ace
Umm... no?
Not only was Dedede supposed to be in the first one, but Dedede has been in more games than MK. While MK is a favorite of mine as I'm a Kirby fanboy, MK has only been in like what, 5 games (Hardly had a role in like 2 of them)? Dedede has been in much more.

What Kirby fame?
So he was in the opening a bit, that doesn't change much. Anyways, why shouldn't Sakurai be biased toward his cute pink puffball? He's been very successful and both are his games, right? Wouldn't you be biased toward them?

Also, I read this from before:
"Kirby made like 80 bajillion games and sold even more..." That has so much failure its not even funny, yes kirby made alot of games but not many were given credit except for air ride and Kirby 64.
Are you on crack? Air ride was actually supposed to be a really bad game to many people. 64 is another story, but Kirby is given credit usually to Superstar or Canvas Curse. (And the originals, but...)

Puffs

Smash Ace
I really liked Air Ride. Squeak Squad and Adventure were both great. In fact, I can't recall any main-series Kirby games doing badly. Or being bad.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I've already stated this, but aside from the brokeness that is Meta Knight and their SSE importance, it isn't necessarily what Kirby got that is unfair, it is what the other more important series (DK) did not get. Don't try to pull out the excuse that DK is part of Mario; because Rare stopped making good DK games, DK has simply turned into a crappy Mario-spin off character with a few DS joke games here and there.

Kirby doesn't do much better at all; it's almost a dead series now (despite having its glory days in the SNES / N64 era) Sakurai just threw in the characters he wanted represented in his series. He then threw the rest of the series into the crapper. His bias is unmistakable; three Kirby characters is not overdoing it; three Star Fox characters (a relatively unimportant series made up of 5 games) is too much. Pokemon's six (he counts them as six, cause there are three PT Pokemon to program) and Zelda's 5 to Mario's 4 is unfair. Kirby having three is not that bad; although Sakurai putting two of those characters as top tier, with some stupid advanced tactics, plus a trophy overload and a SSE based on Kirby Super Star shows his bias. People from other series need to monitor him; Nintendo CANNOT allow him to simply run off and advertise his own series, claiming with pride, "I decide everything that goes in the game. No one else!"

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Kirby doesn't do much better at all; it's almost a dead series now (despite having its glory days in the SNES / N64 era).
What about Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Kirby Canvas Curse, Kirby Super Star Ultra, those have great rep and rated high, (though Super Star Ultra is very under rated)? With those games, how is the Kirby sieres almost dead when Kirby has little to no bad games? Unless your confusing me. @_@

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
What about Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Kirby Canvas Curse, Kirby Super Star Ultra, those have great rep and rated high, (though Super Star Ultra is very under rated)? With those games, how is the Kirby sieres almost dead when Kirby has little to no bad games? Unless your confusing me. @_@

I'm going by the best of the best; I don't deny the success of some other Kirby games, but still, do those really push up its sales to compete with DK or higher?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm going by the best of the best; I don't deny the success of some other Kirby games, but still, do those really push up its sales to compete with DK or higher?
If you mean back in the day then yes, DK had Kirby beat, but right now Kirby comming back and Super Star Ultra is almost rated the same as Super Star, (gawd knows why -_-;). But if the Kirby game that's comming out on the Wii scores too high on sells, then the out come would be diffrent I believe.

Edit: But of course I know it'll take more than that. ;p

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Kirby doesn't do much better at all; it's almost a dead series now (despite having its glory days in the SNES / N64 era) Sakurai just threw in the characters he wanted represented in his series. He then threw the rest of the series into the crapper. His bias is unmistakable; three Kirby characters is not overdoing it; three Star Fox characters (a relatively unimportant series made up of 5 games) is too much. Pokemon's six (he counts them as six, cause there are three PT Pokemon to program) and Zelda's 5 to Mario's 4 is unfair. Kirby having three is not that bad; although Sakurai putting two of those characters as top tier, with some stupid advanced tactics, plus a trophy overload and a SSE based on Kirby Super Star shows his bias. People from other series need to monitor him; Nintendo CANNOT allow him to simply run off and advertise his own series, claiming with pride, "I decide everything that goes in the game. No one else!"
Why are these things unfair? Is it really taking away from anything that the other series have? A series isn't suddenly put on a much higher pedestal just because it has more viable/popular characters that can be used in Smash.

I thought no one cared about trophies :ohwell:

What did you expect? Sakurai created Smash. Sakurai created Kirby. Most Kirby games are 2-D side-scrollers. Smash Bros. + 2-D side-scroller + Sakurai = ....

There is no Nintendo Code of Law that Sakurai has to follow at all. If the Kirby series is "almost dead" (it's probably because it's not Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda that people think this), then what good is some indirect "advertising" in a Smash game going to do? Nintendo asked Sakurai to make Brawl, and as far as we know, they've had no issues with anything about it. I bet that if Meta Knight or Dedede were in Melee, no one would be complaining about some silly "bias".

Top Bottom