• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby General Discussion

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Okay so let's say you're playing teams and for some insane reason 2 Kirby's decide to pair up. And through some miracle they both survive to the end of a game with only 1 of the other team still alive....

Can you infinite swallow the enemy? As in have both Kirby's face each other and P1 inhale > spit > P2 inhale > spit > repeat

Last edited:

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
Okay so let's say you're playing teams and for some insane reason 2 Kirby's decide to pair up. And through some miracle they both survive to the end of a game with only 1 of the other team still alive....

Can you infinite swallow the enemy? As in have both Kirby's face each other and P1 inhale > spit > P2 inhale > spit > repeat
I did some testing by myself, so my results might not be super accurate, but I think that would be pretty difficult to coordinate. Mashing will reduce the amount of time the opponent is inhaled, as well as the time they are in star form. Also, you can't inhale someone who's a star (they'll just plow right into you), and since a character shoots up into the air after coming out of star form, inhale won't catch them (unless you're on a platform above them when they pop out of star form).

You can probably do stuff like P1 Inhale > spit > P2 on platform above inhale > spit > P1 Uair if they're close enough, but I don't think an infinite chain of Inhales is possible.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Think of Kirby's swallow attack as a command grab. If someone is sucked up, they are in the "grab hurt" status. You can't be grabbed by two people at the same time, so this wouldn't work idealistically. Plus depending on their inputs per second, the star will release the "grab hurt" at different distances.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
So I'm starting to realize you just never want to full jump with this character. Short hop in neutral isn't very sound either. I'm relying more on just dash dancing and grab, occasionally wavedash d-tilt or utilt, and bair as a punish tool or to shield pressure. But I find the big problem that comes from jumping is that you immediately limit your options without having many good hitboxes to protect yourself (as Marth or Puff have). Fair always seems like a gamble but it's good when it hits.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
What is Kirby like in doubles? I'm thinking of picking him up just for that, and maybe the Marth MU if my Fox isn't feeling it on some days.

Paging Cereal Rabbit.

Last edited:

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Kirby plays this very strange stock tank. Because his hurt box is so small when crouching, you are able to get a lot of free hits via d-tilt and f-tilts. Though his recovery is easy to edge guard, having a team mate really balances out that factor. His nair+bair are excellent sandwiching tools for team combos as well as u-tilts and up-throw leading to a lot of combo options. Kirby is able to pull off cheesy Kirbycides as well as getting suicide throws a lot safer because of the the calamity of doubles. Normally I would be able to get away with Up-B and rock a little more than in singles.

In my experiences, Kirby works the best with Fox, Falco, and Sheik. Fox and Falco tend to have an extremely strong 2v1 game and have excellent KO'ing tooks. Kirby is also able to free duck under all laser shenanigans and save them going off stage. Kirby can effectively use Falco lasers in the neutral too. Similar thing goes to Sheik. Sheik will actually be able to save you and vice versa.

I don't really like working with Marth because he can get Marth zoned. With Kirby already having a hard time KOing opponents, it may be hard to take stocks off with this team. Coupled with Marth's huge hit boxes, collateral damage has always never looked great. Unless your Marth plays amazing then it shouldn't be too horrible of a team.

Falcon and Peach are similar to Marth however they do have KOing power. What I especially do not like is that they have a hard time in the 2v1. With a lot of people dodging Kirby in the teams match, Falcon/Peach will find it difficult to work with a team mate that isn't super present in the match up.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
First thing I that noticed was that your murder face calmed down. Woo!

In this match up you jumped a whole bunch. The secret is to stay grounded. Though you were mostly grounded, you threw away many 50/50 chances in neutral by jumping. Towards the second half of the first game when you swagged up and got ahead in terms of percentages, you stopped playing the optimal neutral. Stop that please. Crouch more.

I saw too many missed edge guards. Refresh your jumps set up bairs or go out deep to force certain recoveries.

D-air isn't safe as a coming down option unless you are guaranteed to land behind your opponent. When you full hop f-air, you landed with a very unsafe empty jump. You can solve this by full hop f-air into a bair. It'll cover a of a stuff and maybe set up some shield pressure.

Besides all that, you pretty much showed $lutMoney who the boss was.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
$lutMoney
this is one of the worst tags i've ever heard of rofl

can kirby up tilt marth after CCing stuff if he's close? tips against recovering against marth? i played the matchup a lot today and i was just getting waited out as i came close, even if i went high. also, shield dropping is amazing against marth in usual both for making kirby's platform game less...underwhelming and for punishing rash up tilts.

ministry, for one edgeguard, you used nair. pretty much anything else would have been better.

does nair have any good use aside from effectively saying "i can put out this weird hitbox for a while, just so you know?"

Last edited:

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
this is one of the worst tags i've ever heard of rofl

can kirby up tilt marth after CCing stuff if he's close? tips against recovering against marth? i played the matchup a lot today and i was just getting waited out as i came close, even if i went high. also, shield dropping is amazing against marth in usual both for making kirby's platform game less...underwhelming and for punishing rash up tilts.

ministry, for one edgeguard, you used nair. pretty much anything else would have been better.

does nair have any good use aside from effectively saying "i can put out this weird hitbox for a while, just so you know?"
You technically can use u-tilt out of CC, however this is very very very situational. When you get hit in a crouch, you will face your opponent. This is the opposite of what you want in an u-tilt when you want to face away from your opponent.

When you recovery versus Marth, he will usually mixup f-air for high recovery or f-smash/d-tilt for low recover. Low recoveries are safer. What I personally do is air dodge or sweet spot the ledge. I usually only use up-B as a last resort.

Nair is amazing. It allows Kirby to shield poke his opponents (which not a lot of people know about).

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Ministry, use more WD > crouch against Sheik. She really has next to no answers to it. Her grab will whiff you and most of her grounded moves can be crouch cancelled till 60-75%. If she starts D-smashing as an answer, you can easily shield grab or dash dance grab her. Other than that you played pretty solid. You grabbed a lot, but you probably could get away with grabbing/shield grabbing even more in that matchup. Good stuff!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Looking forward to it, Ministry.

In other news, I'll be playing Kirby a lot this year at the local university. We have pretty large tournaments on a weekly basis (Friday evenings, EST). If you're interested, it's streamed on www.twitch.tv/umdsmash

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's funny how you can beat people who are worse than you but playing high tiers by just abusing dash dance grab -> uthrow over and over until they die to a wayward bair.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Thoughts on Kirby vs Ice Climbers? Is this one of those matchups that Kirby users don't talk about because of painful memories, similar to how Boswers treat Sheik? I have no experience with this matchup, but I like messing around wtih Kirby so I may find use of knowledge about this somebody, some distant time in the future...

Last edited:

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Thoughts on Kirby vs Ice Climbers? Is this one of those matchups that Kirby users don't talk about because of painful memories, similar to how Boswers treat Sheik? I have no experience with this matchup, but I like messing around wtih Kirby so I may find use of knowledge about this somebody, some distant time in the future...
The Kirby vs ICies match up is actually not a nightmare. I've played dizzkidboogie, Delphiki, Boback, and a few other IC's I could get a hand on in tournament. I've taken games off dizzkidboogie in sets and beaten Boback in sets as well. The match up is somewhat frustrating for ICies because Kirby is so good at gimping the secondary ICs as well as having a solid shield mix up pressure. As long as you can understand platform movement and are able to safely space Bairs, you actually have yourself a patient but possible match up.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
U-throw is good vs them because they have a hard time punishing you for it when you're in the air.
Up throw is still kinda risky if the IC's know the match up. They'll be able to punish you on the way down.

Anyways,

Congrats to Triple R for 97th place at The Big House 5!!!

I'm so proud of you. Bringing Kirby up.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Wait....did Cereal Rabbit and RRR team up? Double Kirby? And you guys beat THEM?!

Wow, impressive if so.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Dang.....Yes still very impressive, was it streamed? :/

And I'm guessing Cereal didn't go to THB5?

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Idk, I think your 33rd place at HTC is more impressive IMO. 1 set away from top 32 ya know. Also you beat Armada. Nobody needs to know that he was playing Pichu while drunk. :D Triple R is still pretty good though placing 17th in doubles and beating Chillin and Prof. Pro.
playing as pichu while drunk would probably be important...but that's just my uneducated opinion

Top Bottom