• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This King Krusha K. Rool mod looks dope!

EDIT: The mod is now released, here is a showcase video.

Now if only someone would come along and make Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein mods.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Check out this awesome King K. Rool plus I got in the mail! I purchased it on Etsy, and it's made by CherryCoolToys.

Any reason to expect K rool changes in the next patch?
I personally don't think King K. Rool will get any changes in the ARMS patch. I feel like hoping or relying on changes to a character with each patch is a dangerous mindset to have, as the player base can't guarantee that their wants will be heard or applied by the developers. Plus, as King K. Rool is right now, I think he's fine as-is and doesn't have any glaringly bad moves. A lot of King K. Rool's low viability is due to things that would require an overhaul of his playstyle, like his run and air speed and laggy attacks. In my opinion, characters like Kirby and Corrin need buffs more than King K. Rool does at the moment, but King K. Rool could always use buffs regardless.

With that said, if he did get any buffs, here is what I would like to see:

• I would like his propeller hitbox to be like how it was when Ultimate released.
• Forward smash should have a bit of a disjoint for the instant the hitbox becomes active, like Mario's forward smash in Smash N64.
• Slightly increase the radius of the blunderbuss's vacuum. I hate how swords and spaced aerials can outright beat the vacuum, it should punish anyone that runs into the blunderbuss in my opinion.
• Allow King K. Rool to act slightly faster after using Krown Toss. Characters like Sonic, Lucina, and Pikachu can run and wail on King K. Rool just for throwing the krown sometimes.
• Slightly increase the range on Gut Check.
• Slightly increase the range of dash attack, it's deceptively honest.

Now if only someone would come along and make Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein mods.
I hoped that King K. Rool would have his appearances from previous boss fights as costumes. I'm not surprised it's just the good ol' King design, but I would have rocked the Kaptain costume if it was available. I also like the Krusha outfit, as DK64 is the game that awakened me to how good of a character and villain King K. Rool truly is.

By the way, I managed to get the King Krusha K. Rool mod working on my modded Switch. I'll release a video showing me playing the costume in a more competitive setting in the near future, after the ARMS update releases.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Been a while, y'all...hope everyone is staying safe, living the best life (to the extent possible, given the current pandemics of COVID-19 and police violence), and having fun playing as Mr. K. Rool from time to time.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Been a while, y'all...hope everyone is staying safe, living the best life (to the extent possible, given the current pandemics of COVID-19 and police violence), and having fun playing as Mr. K. Rool from time to time.

That was very entertaining, your King K. Rool has gotten pretty sick. I got some laughs from the sound effects too. Keep up the great work!

By the way, I entered in a small Discord tournament... and won!! It's not much, since there were only eight players, but I rightfully earned that 1st place spot. I hope everyone else is doing okay with all of this drama going on. Things will only get better, as time heals all wounds.

Fro_Fridays_5-29-2020 (1).png

Bracket: https://challonge.com/qxlfug0n

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/635935606

EDIT: I actually just won my second Fro Friday tonight. I played out of my mind.

Fro_Fridays_Tourny_06-12-2020.png

Bracket: https://challonge.com/bh0eglo9

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/649245959

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
With that said, if he did get any buffs, here is what I would like to see:

• I would like his propeller hitbox to be like how it was when Ultimate released.
• Forward smash should have a bit of a disjoint for the instant the hitbox becomes active, like Mario's forward smash in Smash N64.
• Slightly increase the radius of the blunderbuss's vacuum. I hate how swords and spaced aerials can outright beat the vacuum, it should punish anyone that runs into the blunderbuss in my opinion.
• Allow King K. Rool to act slightly faster after using Krown Toss. Characters like Sonic, Lucina, and Pikachu can run and wail on King K. Rool just for throwing the krown sometimes.
• Slightly increase the range on Gut Check.
• Slightly increase the range of dash attack, it's deceptively honest.
Bit late but I thought I'd share my thoughts too. I was going through your Ult VODs earlier actually, crazy coincidence lol

Are you sure FSmash needs more disjoint? If anything it needs a small lag reduction, but the move is ridiculously strong. The entire fist is a disjoint already, and it perfectly covers the glove. The low angle even hits ledgehangs! Check the hitbox here, it's seriously not as bad as people make it out to be! And why increase the range of Gut Check when it hits literally everything already? It's one of the biggest hitboxes in the game with some of the biggest reward factors (1.5x damage is a LOT). The rest I can def understand though.

In my opinion, K. Rool is close to being as viable as let's say, the Belmonts. His MU spread is very specific, unfortunately, the meta changed against him. Imo that's why K. Rool fell. He's not bad, just different. Here's how I would change Rool, personally.
  • Crownerang needs a Blunderbuss-tier rework.
    • The fact the double-hit can just phase through people sometimes is atrocious, and really hurts his potential for combos. It takes away the reward for spacing the move, which is what it's designed to do.
    • I feel it deserves a lag reduction now that Blunderbuss has the same frame data as it. Makes no sense.
  • DAir should probably also get some tweaks.
    • The 14F startup and landing lag coupled with a lack of an autocancel really hurts this move. While it's definitely rewarding to DAir at the ledge and invalidate recoveries (the main reason I'm against a hitbox buff at this point), the frame data makes it a trip to disadvantage if used wrong.
  • Jab 3 should receive some tweaks
    • The BKB is juuuust a bit too small to send into tumble at 0% with all 3 hits, so I feel it should be bumped up ever so slightly for that. It works with Rage though, so it's not that bad.
    • The move occasionally drops after Jab 2, so maybe a slightly bigger hitbox could work? idk, I can't figure out why it drops for the life of me.
  • Remove The Bounce Glitch.
    • Many people say they've never experienced this then come back to me 2 weeks later asking how to deal with it. Bloody hate this thing LOL, I play with a Jr player a lot and it constantly happens. It's such an unnecessary limiter on his viability. I may make a big thread on here someday about it.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Bit late but I thought I'd share my thoughts too. I was going through your Ult VODs earlier actually, crazy coincidence lol

Are you sure FSmash needs more disjoint? If anything it needs a small lag reduction, but the move is ridiculously strong. The entire fist is a disjoint already, and it perfectly covers the glove. The low angle even hits ledgehangs! Check the hitbox here, it's seriously not as bad as people make it out to be! And why increase the range of Gut Check when it hits literally everything already? It's one of the biggest hitboxes in the game with some of the biggest reward factors (1.5x damage is a LOT). The rest I can def understand though.

In my opinion, K. Rool is close to being as viable as let's say, the Belmonts. His MU spread is very specific, unfortunately, the meta changed against him. Imo that's why K. Rool fell. He's not bad, just different. Here's how I would change Rool, personally.
  • Crownerang needs a Blunderbuss-tier rework.
    • The fact the double-hit can just phase through people sometimes is atrocious, and really hurts his potential for combos. It takes away the reward for spacing the move, which is what it's designed to do.
    • I feel it deserves a lag reduction now that Blunderbuss has the same frame data as it. Makes no sense.
  • DAir should probably also get some tweaks.
    • The 14F startup and landing lag coupled with a lack of an autocancel really hurts this move. While it's definitely rewarding to DAir at the ledge and invalidate recoveries (the main reason I'm against a hitbox buff at this point), the frame data makes it a trip to disadvantage if used wrong.
  • Jab 3 should receive some tweaks
    • The BKB is juuuust a bit too small to send into tumble at 0% with all 3 hits, so I feel it should be bumped up ever so slightly for that. It works with Rage though, so it's not that bad.
    • The move occasionally drops after Jab 2, so maybe a slightly bigger hitbox could work? idk, I can't figure out why it drops for the life of me.
  • Remove The Bounce Glitch.
    • Many people say they've never experienced this then come back to me 2 weeks later asking how to deal with it. Bloody hate this thing LOL, I play with a Jr player a lot and it constantly happens. It's such an unnecessary limiter on his viability. I may make a big thread on here someday about it.
Thanks for checking out my VODs, I appreciate it! I also saw you uploaded the VOD of my recent bracket run onto YouTube, thanks so much! If you find any more sets of me you're interested in, feel free to upload them. I'm mostly uploading Mega Smash Monday Online runs on my YouTube channel for now, while this quarantine stuff is going on.

I definitely think forward smash could use some lag reduction as well. In a game like Ultimate, where many characters can throw out Smash attacks and suffer few consequences, King K. Rool's end lag resembles how laggy Smash attacks were in prior games, and it really hurts him in such a fast paced meta. I also agree that King K. Rool is not necessarily a bad character. From what I can tell, a lot of the best characters in this game seem to heavily take advantage of offensive pressure and combos. For example, characters like Pikachu, Joker, and Palutena are able to rush in on an opening, start a combo, and can escape the opponent's combos without too much hassle. In my opinion, King K. Rool is designed to take some hits and dish out big damage back. While King K. Rool can make the upsets happen, he has a more flowcharty combo game, laggier attacks in general, and his size makes him juggle food if he's not careful. Plus, while he does have projectiles to challenge campier opponents, they go largely horizontal and leave him open on startup, as you mentioned with the krown and blunderbuss frame data.

The suggestions for buffs you made are very well thought out, and I agree with them. I definitely think down air in particular could use your buff suggestion as well. For the forward smash hitbox disjoint idea, while you are right and it does have a big hitbox already, it just feels slightly honest compared to how other character's forward smashes have a completely dishonest hitbox, like Sonic and Pikachu. I think the endlag reduction on forward smash is a better idea overall though, and forward smash can already kill stupid early. It's also my fault sometimes for misjudging the spacing of the move. With that said, I actually like to use forward tilt as a kill move a lot as well, and it's much better for spacing than forward smash is. As for Gut Check, I play with my brother and Yoshi main Dynomyte a lot, and he pretty much memorized the hitbox of Gut Check. He always goes for King K. Rool's head when I use Gut Check, and it feels pretty hard to use when characters know how to space around it. It's the easiest to notice with sword characters, like Lucina and Roy. With that said, the move was designed to be high risk, high reward, and I'm pretty sure the range of Gut Check was actually increased during a patch at least once before. I guess it's just the fact that you need to position yourself well when you use Gut Check, something that other characters with counters don't really need to worry about.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for checking out my VODs, I appreciate it! I also saw you uploaded the VOD of my recent bracket run onto YouTube, thanks so much! If you find any more sets of me you're interested in, feel free to upload them. I'm mostly uploading Mega Smash Monday Online runs on my YouTube channel for now, while this quarantine stuff is going on.

I definitely think forward smash could use some lag reduction as well. In a game like Ultimate, where many characters can throw out Smash attacks and suffer few consequences, King K. Rool's end lag resembles how laggy Smash attacks were in prior games, and it really hurts him in such a fast paced meta. I also agree that King K. Rool is not necessarily a bad character. From what I can tell, a lot of the best characters in this game seem to heavily take advantage of offensive pressure and combos. For example, characters like Pikachu, Joker, and Palutena are able to rush in on an opening, start a combo, and can escape the opponent's combos without too much hassle. In my opinion, King K. Rool is designed to take some hits and dish out big damage back. While King K. Rool can make the upsets happen, he has a more flowcharty combo game, laggier attacks in general, and his size makes him juggle food if he's not careful. Plus, while he does have projectiles to challenge campier opponents, they go largely horizontal and leave him open on startup, as you mentioned with the krown and blunderbuss frame data.

The suggestions for buffs you made are very well thought out, and I agree with them. I definitely think down air in particular could use your buff suggestion as well. For the forward smash hitbox disjoint idea, while you are right and it does have a big hitbox already, it just feels slightly honest compared to how other character's forward smashes have a completely dishonest hitbox, like Sonic and Pikachu. I think the endlag reduction on forward smash is a better idea overall though, and forward smash can already kill stupid early. It's also my fault sometimes for misjudging the spacing of the move. With that said, I actually like to use forward tilt as a kill move a lot as well, and it's much better for spacing than forward smash is. As for Gut Check, I play with my brother and Yoshi main Dynomyte a lot, and he pretty much memorized the hitbox of Gut Check. He always goes for King K. Rool's head when I use Gut Check, and it feels pretty hard to use when characters know how to space around it. It's the easiest to notice with sword characters, like Lucina and Roy. With that said, the move was designed to be high risk, high reward, and I'm pretty sure the range of Gut Check was actually increased during a patch at least once before. I guess it's just the fact that you need to position yourself well when you use Gut Check, something that other characters with counters don't really need to worry about.
Gut check is sooooo much worse than the other counters in the game... if it is not going to have the coverage or staying power of fox / wolf’s shield it should at least be an order of magnitude stronger

also I swear it comes out late when playing over a bad internet connection?

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Gut check is sooooo much worse than the other counters in the game... if it is not going to have the coverage or staying power of fox / wolf’s shield it should at least be an order of magnitude stronger

also I swear it comes out late when playing over a bad internet connection?
Gut Check has the most active counter active frames out of the cast (5-28, a total of 23), has the most intangibility (most have 2 frames, K. Rool's has 10) and the second-highest damage multiplier in the game at 1.5*. Not only that, but its speed is actually average:
  • The intangibility is frame 4-14 while the activation is frame 5 (which is a normal system), making it effectively a frame 4 counter. This is the same frame as an airdodge, meaning in situations where a combo you can escape reaches the belly, it's optimal to use Gut Check instead.
  • The counterattack itself is frame 2 with a time slow effect, which is far faster than all of the counters in the game. For example, Roy, Marth and Ike's are frame 5. This means that very very few opponents will ever fall out of the counter.
  • The FAF for failure is surprisingly small for a counter, being interruptible frame 65. It's faster than Roy and Palutena's and is tied with Marth and Lucina's.
  • The hitboxes on the counter are gigantic and it will rarely, if ever, miss. Remember that they buffed those too! The FAF is also the shortest of any counter, at 38. For comparison, Marth's is frame 41.
Gut Check's activation hitbox is balanced around the ridiculous payoff for landing it. Not only is it one of the faster counters, but it's also one of the strongest when it works. Hell, I'd argue the activation hitbox isn't even that bad, especially since your head is intangible for the first part of the counter's duration. The invulnerability is also quite nice for deactivating hitboxes for when the counter is over. Blocked plenty of projectiles for me!

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Gut Check has the most active counter active frames out of the cast (5-28, a total of 23), has the most intangibility (most have 2 frames, K. Rool's has 10) and the second-highest damage multiplier in the game at 1.5*. Not only that, but its speed is actually average:
  • The intangibility is frame 4-14 while the activation is frame 5 (which is a normal system), making it effectively a frame 4 counter. This is the same frame as an airdodge, meaning in situations where a combo you can escape reaches the belly, it's optimal to use Gut Check instead.
  • The counterattack itself is frame 2 with a time slow effect, which is far faster than all of the counters in the game. For example, Roy, Marth and Ike's are frame 5. This means that very very few opponents will ever fall out of the counter.
  • The FAF for failure is surprisingly small for a counter, being interruptible frame 65. It's faster than Roy and Palutena's and is tied with Marth and Lucina's.
  • The hitboxes on the counter are gigantic and it will rarely, if ever, miss. Remember that they buffed those too! The FAF is also the shortest of any counter, at 38. For comparison, Marth's is frame 41.
Gut Check's activation hitbox is balanced around the ridiculous payoff for landing it. Not only is it one of the faster counters, but it's also one of the strongest when it works. Hell, I'd argue the activation hitbox isn't even that bad, especially since your head is intangible for the first part of the counter's duration. The invulnerability is also quite nice for deactivating hitboxes for when the counter is over. Blocked plenty of projectiles for me!
Interesting info!
Especially like the idea of the down b instead of an air dodge. Will keep that in mind

Overall though I think you are being a bit charitable with your comparison set. You are comparing it to just melee attack counters... I mentioned fox’s reflector (or any of the starfox reflectors) as much more useful. Same with Revenge, Pocket and other defensive down b moves

Gut check is closer to the swordsman down b’s and those are not very good - but at least they cover the whole body. Love the King and love the counter animation, but I wouldn’t vouch for this move

Just my .02c — I appreciate the other viewpoint

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
Interesting info!
Especially like the idea of the down b instead of an air dodge. Will keep that in mind

Overall though I think you are being a bit charitable with your comparison set. You are comparing it to just melee attack counters... I mentioned fox’s reflector (or any of the starfox reflectors) as much more useful. Same with Revenge, Pocket and other defensive down b moves

Gut check is closer to the swordsman down b’s and those are not very good - but at least they cover the whole body. Love the King and love the counter animation, but I wouldn’t vouch for this move

Just my .02c — I appreciate the other viewpoint
I'm not saying the move is the second coming of christ, that would be FAir. It's definitely not good, but it isn't a bad move by any means. In terms of reflectors, Gut Check has less cooldown than moves like Fox's. Not amazing, but it's far from bad.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Cool pieces of work I just came across.

It's too bad that Next Level Games doesn't do much lately.
They actually have been very consistent with their output, They were the team behind Luigi's Mansion 3 which barely released just last Halloween.

- Super Mario Strikers (2005)

- Mario Strikers Charged (2007)

- Punch Out !!! (2009)

- Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (2013)

- Metroid Prime: Federation Force (2016)

- Luigi's Mansion 3 (2019)

And those are just the games they made under Nintendo.

But I agree and really hope they make a 3rd Strikers game as I'm a big fan of the previous ones as they were not just fun, But really gave personality and a badass attitude to the entire Mario cast, Love the Kremlings as goalies and hope King K. Rool is the next one as the somewhat out of left field character like Petey Piranha.

Wouldn't mind seeing NLG develop a Donkey Kong game in the future either.

Last edited:

donkeykong_downunder

Smash Rookie
Great to see the King in the mainstream again! He seems to be used frequently in online games so despite not always being 'competitively viable' it's welcome seeing him pop up. Such a fun and crafty character to use. Nearly two years since he was revealed....time flies! With the new DK area in Nintendo World being built plus Dixie and Funky in Mario Kart Tour let's hope DK is re established as a core Nintendo IP again like the old days! And with that K.Rool taking back his place as the head DK villain honcho in the next DK title.

I collect Donkey Kong related merchandise and items, plan to share some K.Rool related stuff soon! Aside from K.Rool's amiibo, Kremling related merch is few and far between!

You can check my Instagram out here:

https://www.instagram.com/donkeykong.downunder/

Hope it is informative and useful.

Damned1

Smash Cadet
Still middle of the night, so no long post but:

- i've hear they shadow buffed Dar as well (easier to hit sweetspot);
- IMO almost perfect pack of buffs, i don't want them to introduce to many changes to anyone, but we got HUGE BA buff (which i habe been begging for ages), 36% is more or less perfect. Krown helps too and K. Rool kills easier now. So in short: im super happy, let's see where those buffs get us.

Edit: quick add: im reading that the "back throw buff" refers to the Blunderbuss, not the actual Back Throw. Edit2:, ok, seems like it IS back throw.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
These buffs are pretty great. The extra armor on crown throw makes him much less vulnerable.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Crown buff is huge, if not the most significant one, in my opinion.
It‘s really nice for landing, getting on stage, and is much more durable :)

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The BA buff is amazing, but I feel like the backthrow buff may very well be the sleeper hit, here.

The angle went from 45 to 35, and not only does this make it a kill option at far lower percents but it also means we're forcing opponents to recover from even lower, which should set us up for better ledgeguarding.

Damned1

Smash Cadet
Ok, not much in terms of tournaments for now (obviously), but here are my thoughts:

Those buffs are kind of weird. At first, i was super excited, but than tried to downplay them, since they did not address some big problems (read: end lag), and BA could be even stronger. However, the more i think of it, the better those "small" buffs seem to be:

- DA is absolutely huge and many non-K.rool players IMO sleep on it. This move was always strong, but it's strong hitbox duration was holding it back, and even without it, i couldn't help but think at times that its power was slightly disappointing. Now stupidly strong and easier to hit, making it more rewarding to land it (which is important due to it being kind of risky). Same case with USmash - it's probably not as important, but i could already see it making a lot of difference.

- BA - holy moly, that's huge. Again - i would like it being slightly (literally 3-4%) stronger , but that's more in the categories of "buffs". I say that because this is IMO the most important "fix" - it made no sense that BA was, in fact, worse than SA of characters like :ultdk:, :ultganondorf: and even ::ultolimar:. Now it can take any uncharged regular attack and even things like :ultdk: giant punch at full HP. I still think they should increase the regeneration slightly (0,3->-0,5), but daaaaaaaaaamn, does it allow us to be more aggresive without being forced to back off after tanking some hits.

- Krown is weird. Buffing the armor was just the addition on my priority list of fixes, with endlag/pick up animation cancel/lag reduction being Top1. But again, it's bigger than non-mains think. Now SA actually makes up a little for that huge end lag, whereas before it almost never helped. Still would like the reduction of around 10 frames of end lag (it would still be slower than Boomerang), but nothing to complain.

- BThrow is another change i think many top players are sleeping on. New angle is disgusting and results in kills stupidly early. Before, this throw was mainly "GET OFF THE STAGE" and it could kill, but not that well. Now it's a true kill throw.

I still want to wait and see what exactly those changes make for our favorite tyrant, but im super happy for those buffs. Aaaaand just like 6.0 - i did not expect some of those changes, so i now need to rethink what are the most crucial changes we could still get. Anyway, we might be out of the "crucial fixes" territory - now we pray for smaller fixes and straight-up buffs.

Oh, and i would like to leave that here, in case anyone still doubts the importance of those buffs:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Mildly exciting news: there's a Donkey Kong Country 2 reference in the newest Animal Crossing New Horizons update!
Nice to see the Paper Mario and Wario Land references as well!

...I really wish that we got another Wario Land game at some point, especially if it was hand-drawn like Shake It. (though I realize that an art style like that would likely make the game take a while to make)

Laniv

Smash Champion
It's been a long time koming, but it's finally here (performing for you)...

Donkey Kong Country is finally coming to SNES Nintendo Switch Online!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It's been a long time koming, but it's finally here (performing for you)...

Donkey Kong Country is finally coming to SNES Nintendo Switch Online!

Finally! I might get it myself!

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
take on 8.0 buffs. 5/5 scale

2/5 Belly good buff but it usually doesn’t break anyway, except maybe when fighting Ganon (but that’s avoidable and you shouldn’t lose to Ganon)
2/5 Usmash probably still his worst smash but it’s much more usable now
3/5 Dash nair to dash combo!!
4/5 Krown great improvement against midrange zoners.. easier to take a bomb / boomerang hit and still get in close
4/5 Back throw love having that earlier kill confirm

Overall very nice — there’s no way in my mind this character is low tier anymore. I’d say he’s above average

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Since Donkey Kong Country just came out on the Switch's SNES Online app, I felt inspired to play it. ...on the Wii. I had downloaded the Wii Virtual Console version on my Wii U, back when the Wii Shop Channel was closing down, and I had made it pretty far into the game before getting stuck on Blackout Basement. Not wanting to replay the entire game from the beginning on the Switch, I decided to grind for lives and pick up where I left off on the Wii (U) version.

Blackout Basement was definitely the difficulty spike of the game - I wasn't a huge fan of having to make leaps of faith in total darkness, but the levels after that were tough but fair. (there wasn't a point where I felt stuck, though the Klap Trap at the very end of Loopy Lights was kind of a jerk move)

Tanked Up Trouble took me quite a few tries, but it was mostly about timing (and trial and error). Surprisingly, despite losing Rambi early on, I don't recall having much trouble with Manic Mincers. I probably made the fight with Master Necky Senior harder than it actually was - I thought that, every time I hit him, I had to jump on him even more times for the damage to register (so I just had to hit him once for my first hit, twice for my second hit, three times for my third hit, and so on), when it turned out that I just needed to wait for him to stop spitting before jumping on him.

And then there's the K. Rool fight. My original copy was given to my brother and me by our cousins, who had already beaten the game, so I knew what to expect from the K. Rool fight. The first two phases were easy enough, though I occasionally got hit by mistiming the cannonballs - the problem was the third phase. Funnily enough, I went back to grind until I had sixteen lives, and when I went back to fight him, I made it through the first two phases with both Kongs alive, and I beat him on my first attempt after grinding for all of those lives! (though it was probably my seventh or eighth attempt overall)

I'm not sure whether I'll play Donkey Kong Country 2 (which I've beaten before) or Donkey Kong Country 3 (which I haven't beaten before) next, but I found the game tough but fair, and it felt rewarding to play through the whole thing after all these years.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's a testament to the game's challenge when even its own earliest portable equivalent Donkey Kong Land is tough (and that had Expresso be more useful against enemies).

That said, here's a redraw from Rariatoo.

Kulty

Smash Ace
It has been a while since I`ve been here...

To celebrate the release of DKC1 on SNES Online, I did a co-op online run of the game with Handy Man Handy Man . Here is my highlight video. Check out Handy Man`s video on our run against King K Rool himself. :D

Hope all of you DKC fans have a good day (or evening).

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It has been a while since I`ve been here...

To celebrate the release of DKC1 on SNES Online, I did a co-op online run of the game with Handy Man Handy Man . Here is my highlight video. Check out Handy Man`s video on our run against King K Rool himself. :D

Hope all of you DKC fans have a good day (or evening).

It was a pleasure playing through Donkey Kong Country today. I've played through it a few times in the past, but this was my first time playing through the entire game in one sitting. I had a blast, thanks for joining me Kulty Kulty !

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Happy K. Rool Day, Kutthroats! Two years since the Dream Became Reality, are you still feeling it?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Seeing the Kremling King on the CSS still sometimes doesn’t feel real. Can’t wait to see what lies in store for him and the DK franchise’s next chapter hopefully before too much longer.

MisterMike

Smash Champion
It's amazing to think it's been two years since that day. Time really does fly, doesn't it? He may not be the most competitively viable character out there, but he's still and ton of fun and easily one of the best additions to Smash. Long live the king!

Top Bottom