• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It's crazy that fighter pass two will be completed by December 2021, it makes me very grateful that we got King K. Rool in the base roster.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lots of people told me that the fighter pass would only have third parties because they misinterpreted what :mybodyisreggie: said.

The :ultjoker: is on them.

Still though, I'm kind of amazed that the sacred weapons wound up being the deciding factor for Sakurai to add in Byleth.

Also, no wonder they weren't at the VGAs, that stage is insanely detailed.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's crazy that fighter pass two will be completed by December 2021, it makes me very grateful that we got King K. Rool in the base roster.
Yeah, K. Rool and Banjo fans ought to thank their lucky stars for the ballot now more than ever before. Byleth makes it extremely readily apparent that our so-called Ugly Rare Characters were the exceptions to the rule of DLC being protagonists from Japanese games or series Sakurai personally likes, not any kind of new norm.

Knowing that there are going to be fans who spend the next two years holding out hope for Western characters and characters from series Sakurai does not personally like makes me wince.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In case anyone hasn’t yet seen:

Handy Man

Smash Ace

This makes me incredibly happy. Not only is this the first time King K. Rool has officially appeared in a decade outside of Smash Ultimate, he's also allowed to be on something alongside his "replacements" in Returns and Tropical Freeze. In my opinion, this shows that Nintendo understands how important the kremlings are to Donkey Kong as a whole. It really is an honor to be highlighted like this again after years of being "ignored" and "irrelevant", especially considering that other charaters like Lanky Kong or Kiddy Kong aren't as fortunate. With rumors of the upcoming Nintendo Universal theme park featuring a Donkey Kong area, hopefully this year marks the return of the king to his home franchise. We, as a community, have come such a long way with King K. Rool. We can only go up from here!

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah, K. Rool and Banjo fans ought to thank their lucky stars for the ballot now more than ever before. Byleth makes it extremely readily apparent that our so-called Ugly Rare Characters were the exceptions to the rule of DLC being protagonists from Japanese games or series Sakurai personally likes, not any kind of new norm.

Knowing that there are going to be fans who spend the next two years holding out hope for Western characters and characters from series Sakurai does not personally like makes me wince.
I don't think that is such a issue, if a character it's really wanted, and has potential, it will have a chance.

I mean, Ridley is also technically an "ugly character" (though american-inspired japanese instead of Rare).

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

I've seen this calendar brought up several times before and the one thing that no one has brought up or mention is that 2021 will be the 40th anniversary of the character and franchise that launched Nintendo as a gaming company...

Donkey Kong

Now I know what some of you are thinking, "But, Nintendo didn't celebrate Donkey Kong Country's 25th anniversary"

While that is true, Part of me believes that Nintendo didn't really celebrate it because DKC was made by Rare and not in-house so they don't feel as connected to it or want to take credit for something they didn't play as big of a role in, Chances are Nintendo would rather likely acknowledge the entire history of Donkey Kong as a franchise/character (Including the Arcade era), Hell I'm sure Nintendo will at least mention DKCR's 10th anniversary (Man has it really been a decade?) this year since they played a bigger role with the "Returns" series seeing how they own Retro Studios and It's the current modern representation of the Donkey Kong franchise.

But again this is just pure speculation, But with what I mentioned before and the Donkey Kong area in the Nintendo theme park coming soon, It seems like there really is big plans for the franchise even though it's been said for a while via DK Vine, But it's really starting to sound true and would make sense as we have yet to receive any major DK game other than a Tropical Freeze port and DK Adventure DLC and an original game would line up perfectly with this timeline.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I still think Crash will be one of those six characters in Season Pass 2 though due to how successful the N. Sane Trilogy has been and how iconic Crash is to gaming in general being a former mascot of the Playstation. Crash is literally as much of a gaming icon as Snake and Cloud his somewhat Playstation brothers.

Edit: But damn! Do I really want Dixie Kong now that we have the kroc and the bear and bird. 'Sigh' It looks like Dixie might not end up being one of those six.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I've seen this calendar brought up several times before and the one thing that no one has brought up or mention is that 2021 will be the 40th anniversary of the character and franchise that launched Nintendo as a gaming company...

Donkey Kong

Now I know what some of you are thinking, "But, Nintendo didn't celebrate Donkey Kong Country's 25th anniversary"

While that is true, Part of me believes that Nintendo didn't really celebrate it because DKC was made by Rare and not in-house so they don't feel as connected to it or want to take credit for something they didn't play as big of a role in, Chances are Nintendo would rather likely acknowledge the entire history of Donkey Kong as a franchise/character (Including the Arcade era), Hell I'm sure Nintendo will at least mention DKCR's 10th anniversary (Man has it really been a decade?) this year since they played a bigger role with the "Returns" series seeing how they own Retro Studios and It's the current modern representation of the Donkey Kong franchise.

But again this is just pure speculation, But with what I mentioned before and the Donkey Kong area in the Nintendo theme park coming soon, It seems like there really is big plans for the franchise even though it's been said for a while via DK Vine, But it's really starting to sound true and would make sense as we have yet to receive any major DK game other than a Tropical Freeze port and DK Adventure DLC and an original game would line up perfectly with this timeline.
It would make sense, after all the original DK is a game that we found referenced in quite a lot of places.

And SMO show, despite the reference being mostly to the Arcade, they also made homage to DKC characters.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Something that always bugged me lore-wise: Why did Kritters get to be goalies in the Mario Strikers games?

1580223155126.png

Were times that hard? Were these survivors of Crocodile Isle that laid low in the Mushroom Kingdom while their king was missing/in hiding?

Kulty

Smash Ace
So no buffs for King K Rool aside of the universal shield size increase. His arms become intangible on startup of shield animation based on my testings. :)

D

Deleted member

Cool how he had some things given. Maybe it's not much but I'm glad out croc is getting something.

chikin

Coin Collector
Would it be cool if King K Rool was able to switch projectiles with his blunderbuss by simply pressing B when shielding?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Would it be cool if King K Rool was able to switch projectiles by simply pressing B when shielding?
I wish. It would make K. Rool seem like more of a threat in competitive play. And imagine what kind of crazy **** we would be able to do with all the different balls from his blunderbuss into play into his moveset? His spikeball I imagine might even be stronger than Dedede's gordo and his chemical ball I imagine would have to be nerf a bit in where if a player get's hit by it their controls will only be backwards for like 2 or 3 seconds.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Would it be cool if King K Rool was able to switch projectiles with his blunderbuss by simply pressing B when shielding?
I'm still kind of surprised that Ultimate King K. Rool doesn't have this. I always envisioned him being able to use poison gas clouds and spiked canonballs alongside his regular ones in Smash, it's a shame that the options to change the cannon projectile aren't there. The gas cloud would be very good, as there aren't any moves in the game that can reverse controls besides the cape and some assist trophies. The spiked cannonballs would give him some much needed diagonal coverage. It's great that the blunderbuss is in Ultimate at all, and I love what it currently does. With that said, I feel like the DKC2 boss fight offered the most for King K. Rool's Smash moveset, and Sakurai only implemented half of what he does in the boss fight. Maybe the next Smash game will revamp a couple of moves in his moveset, like the additions to the blunderbuss and maybe a brand new move inspired by his next boss fight in a new Donkey Kong Country game.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Btw, what are your first impressions on the Byleth matchup as:ultkrool:? I personally think this is a fine MU for K Rool, but moves like Nair are really going to be annoying to deal with as K Rool due to his poor OOS options. Plus, since Byleth can destroy shields very quickly, it means that K Rool has to be really careful about his defensive options. Plus, since Byleth does a lot of damage, this pretty much means that the Kroc can`t afford his belly to get hit by his attacks too much. We have to watch out for Up-B as an anti-air as it can kill confirm if Byleth reads our DI. However, because we have Gut Check, it doesn`t matter if Byleth uses mixup with Amyr (or down-b), if we carefully time it to hit our Kounter, Byleth will either take a lot of damage or will instantly die based on percents. Plus, fully charged Areadbhar (or neutral B) can be easily Gut Checked if we are in the right position to do it.

I have yet to test interaction of Areadbhar with Kanonball and Krown, but I only know that normal charge and Kanonball clank or cancel out each other.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I got some good tournament results with solo King K. Rool this past week!

USC #59 - 13th place out of 54 players, went 3-2.
2GG All-In - 65th place out of 324 players, went 4-2.
HAT #101 - 7th Place out of 37 players, went 4-2.

I think I'm finally realizing how to stay in control with my play. I attempt to ignore my nerves and just live in the moment. It's hard, but I know I can make the upsets happen. I just need to stay calm and not let the top tier jank get to me. I feel pretty good about my play overall, I can only go up from here!

As an aside, I also got a modded Nintendo Switch for Christmas and am currently learning how to texture mod. I already created a King K. Rool recolor, with a few more being worked on right now. It's cool to see my textures working in-game!

Here is a link to Maroon King K. Rool texture I created.
2020021315504500-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, it has been a while, but I am here to share a moveset I made up for not K. Rool, but one of his minions. And that minion is...

Krusha

Since we had one of Bowser's minions' Piranha Plant in Smash, here is an idea for if one of King K. Rool's minions got in Smash Bros. Krusha, the blue Kremling baddie from Donkey Kong Country is here! Now, most of his moves are similar, but not quite the same as K. Rool's, though some punches, grabs and kicks are of his own. His special moves are as follows.

B: Shockwave Stomp: Krusha Stomp the ground and a shock wave happens, knocking those who are in its range off their feet while causing small damage at the same time.

Side B: Container Throw: Krusha throws either a barrel or a crate at his enemies. Thus usually does heavy damage. Most of the time, there will be no items, but keep an eye out, for an item might fall out of these containers every now and then. Sometimes, the containers will explode.

Up B: Arm Flapping: Krusha faces the screen and starts flapping his arms, which somehow cause him to fly upwards and hurting any opponent that is in the way.

Down B: Toughen Up: Functions like K Rool's Down B move, except when used as the opponent hits Krusha, Krusha becomes angry and red (like Kruncha from Donkey Kong Country 2, who looks like, and maybe is Krusha), and becomes invulnerable and stronger. This only lasts for a few seconds, so use this wisely! If the move is used any period of time after it is used without being hit, Krusha, when finally hit, will laugh and get a bit stronger, though will not be red and won't be as strong as he is when red. Also, he takes damage then, but has super armor.

Final Smash: Kremling Chaos

Krusha dashes and punches forward. If no one is hit, nothing happens. If he hits any number of opponents, the following happnes: A bunch of baddies from Donkey Kong Country 1 attack the opponents. Klumps trample the opponents, then Kirtters charge at the opponents, then Krashes (Kirtters in minecarts) run at the player, then Klaptraps bite the opponents, then Krusha knocks down the opponents. Before this is over, the giant K. Lumsy from Donkey Kong 64 comes along and runs towards the opponents before tripping, falling over and crushing the opponents, sending them flying and possibly KOing them.

What do you all think? I thought since this is K. Rool related, I could post this here.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Okay so a second temporary tier list got released by 35 PGR players, and all I gotta say is:ultkrool:is TOO LOW. NO WAY THIS CHARACTER IS BOTTOM 5 AFTER THE BUFFS. I know top players have good knowledge of the game and all, but people who think K Rool is still bottom 5 is just living under the days of pre-patch. That`s my opinion, K Rool should be a bit higher in my eyes. Not that it really matters anyway, since Ultimate is so well balanced.

1582208961666.png

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Okay so a second temporary tier list got released by 35 PGR players, and all I gotta say is:ultkrool:is TOO LOW. NO WAY THIS CHARACTER IS BOTTOM 5 AFTER THE BUFFS. I know top players have good knowledge of the game and all, but people who think K Rool is still bottom 5 is just living under the days of pre-patch. That`s my opinion, K Rool should be a bit higher in my eyes. Not that it really matters anyway, since Ultimate is so well balanced.
It’s silly to me how King K. Rool’s viability is directly compared to characters like Kirby and Little Mac. As a Charizard main in Smash 4, I’m willing to admit that he was among the worst in that game for having a lack of approach options and a read-based moveset.

With that said, I feel like King K. Rool in Ultimate is not really like that. Moves like forward tilt, forward air, and up tilt can be good in neutral, and he has more ways to approach opponents than other super heavies like Piranha Plant and Ganondorf. I think that King K. Rool is still bottom 20 in the game, but his main flaws come from his slow mobility and some laggy attacks, which are typical for heavy characters and are traditional recipes for combo food. In comtrast, Bowser is the best heavy in Ultimate simply because of better mobility and tough guy.

By nature, King K. Rool was always going to struggle once he was added to Smash due to being a large character, but that can’t be helped. As players like KirbyKid and Ben Gold show, King K. Rool can cause upsets just like any other character can. It’s just a matter of how much people care to learn more about the character and their capabilities, because you never know when you may have to fight a good one.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
Gotta share this.
Its a series of king k. rool vlog videos and Its hilarious how he looks and talk in that perspective xD

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While fake leaks are mostly dead right now, this one's just gold:

Edit: When you realise just how deep the DK/Mario rabbit hole goes.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hey guys,

I uploaded a third King K Rool montage on my channel (and first montage since the K Rool buffs). Enjoy the buffed Kroc. :ultkrool::ultkrool::ultkrool:

Last edited:

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135

The two pals are off on another Mis-Adventure! But...things seem a little different...

EDIT: If you're a fan of my channel, you'll know my friend Dreggo never plays anyone other than King K. Rool. Well, we decided to switch things up for April Fools! Hope you enjoyed the montage!

EDIT 2: Here's the real Mis-Adventures 5!

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It looks like there's going to be a casual DK vs. Kirby series tournament this weekend. It's great to see Nintendo giving King K. Rool some promotion. I still think it's pretty crazy how much more mainstream King K. Rool has become after his inclusion in Ultimate.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I love seeing how mainstream K. Rool has gotten along with the Kongs.

My hope is that after Retro is done with Metroid Prime 4, they will work on a new DKC game with K. Rool and the Kremlings returning.

K. Rool hasn’t been in a mainline DK game since DK 64 in 1999. He has yet to be in a mainline DK game this millenium. I know, it’s depressing just thinking about it. But I believe the Kremling King’s return to the series is inevitable.

All of a sudden, we are seeing K. Rool pop up in Donkey Kong calendars, now we see him pop up in in the Japanese Smash Bros. account. If you all thought Thanos was inevitable, well, I would say in my belief that K. Rool’s return to the DK series is definitely inevitable. After all that has been endured after Rare got bought out, King K. Rool’s return in Smash Ultimate mitigated all we had endured, and his return to the DK series will mitigate it even further.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
This King Krusha K. Rool mod looks dope!

EDIT: The mod is now released, here is a showcase video.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ahoy there my fellow kutthroats! I came upon this beautiful video dedicated to our beloved king. Figured I'd post it here to share! :grin:

Top Bottom