• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
New K. Rool video!
Strangely enough, oddly fitting to how I personally have always interpreted K. Rool's character. I love the cruelness at the end. Also, I never thought I needed old man K. Rool until I saw it with my own eyes. Kind of a retired-but-capable-fighter kind of vibe. Up there in age, but could still take out ten guys easily in a bar fight kind of thing.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Check at the 1 minute mark for some truly hilarious K. Rool recovery shenanigans:

You could make a case that the Propellerpack is the best move in his whole toolset.

Also,

One week remains.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Some good info here

1) Krown will ALWAYS spawn near K Rool. Even off stage. @1:46

2) Who likes armor? @1:31

StormC

Smash Hero
I swear to god if people still ONLY play on Smashville for serious fights...

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I swear to god if people still ONLY play on Smashville for serious fights...
YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE SMASH 5!!

YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BRING BETTER STAGES AND MUSIC INTO THE META, NOT THE SAME CRAP!

I personally hope Smashville is never played again, ever! Unfortunately, it's still a mechanically great, unique stage.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Based on this footage, it looks like the Krown is possibly the move that brings the whole character together. It looks extremely important as it expands his options. I wonder if you can cancel the animation of him putting the krown back on. Blunderbuss meanwhile seems more situational.
That player should probably have tried using fTilt more, due to its range. bAir doesn't look that useful, fAir seems alright and nAir is essential. Since we know uAir is armored, wonder how useful it is. It also has a lot of lag in the air I've heard.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Based on this footage, it looks like the Krown is possibly the move that brings the whole character together. It looks extremely important as it expands his options. I wonder if you can cancel the animation of him putting the krown back on. Blunderbuss meanwhile seems more situational.
That player should probably have tried using fTilt more, due to its range. bAir doesn't look that useful, fAir seems alright and nAir is essential. Since we know uAir is armored, wonder how useful it is. It also has a lot of lag in the air I've heard.
I'd argue that Bair is more important than you give it credit for. Of all his air moves it is the number 1 most powerful, covers a good angle, and most importantly, his recovery lets him go mad deep with it. It's a cornerstone of his edgeguarding game.

But that does bring up an interesting point: what IS K Rool's worst move? I nominate Dsmash. The shockwave is awful damage, knockback and % wise, and while hitting with K Rool himself is damaging, it's also really situational. Worse still, while it can kill off a bury, so can Fsmash, and that right hook has so much power in it you'd think it was wielded by Muhammed Ali. I just can't seem to find a use for it.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I'd argue that Bair is more important than you give it credit for. Of all his air moves it is the number 1 most powerful, covers a good angle, and most importantly, his recovery lets him go mad deep with it. It's a cornerstone of his edgeguarding game.

But that does bring up an interesting point: what IS K Rool's worst move? I nominate Dsmash. The shockwave is awful damage, knockback and % wise, and while hitting with K Rool himself is damaging, it's also really situational. Worse still, while it can kill off a bury, so can Fsmash, and that right hook has so much power in it you'd think it was wielded by Muhammed Ali. I just can't seem to find a use for it.
Upsmash is probably the worst move, has like 100f+ of recovery if you don't hit with the upwards part. You CANT miss with this.
Upair is so good that it just invalidates it at the niche of hitting people up.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Upsmash is probably the worst move, has like 100f+ of recovery if you don't hit with the upwards part. You CANT miss with this.
Upair is so good that it just invalidates it at the niche of hitting people up.
I dunno, I think Usmash's speed is enough to justify it. It hits people much faster than jumping Uair, and I can see it's planking hitbox being useful in early bury combos for racking up %.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
Open question: is it possible to play with the Switch GC controller with the adapter (the new one that came out earlier this moth) plugged into the Switch being in portable mode? I really wanna know, as I'm heavily considering purchasing the GC controller because I may be switching from the Wii U Pro controller (which I played Sm4sh with). My main issue is that, in the timeline where I purchase the GC controller, since I can't afford buying the Power A GC controller in addition, I may or may not be unable to play with the wired GC controller on the go. Also, is it hard adapting to the GC controller if you're used to the Wii U Pro (I've never played with one)?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I didn't see this earlier, but wanted to respond:

Like many, the Mii costume. If you're willing to dig up posts from July/August 2015, I... did not take the news well. I was sure K. Rool would be DLC. Why wouldn't he be? He's a classic character with tons of ballot votes and from a beloved yet underrepresented series. Of course! It made so much sense! Despite deep down knowing he was deconfirmed, I still held onto a sliver of hope until the Corrin/Bayonetta reveal took the wind out of everything. I remember people suggesting that the Smash Ballot might actually be used to collect data for a sequel rather than DLC. That seemed laughable.

Oops.

The Mii costume felt like so close, yet so far. It was his Rareware-era design, which hadn't been seen since 1999, but with some adjustments to make it more modern. Why would they go through so much effort for a costume - why not reuse assets from the trophy? Yet... it was just a costume. Not only that, but it seems like it had little bearing on the eventual Smash design, even more confusingly. I was baffled and outraged and sad.

After Corrin/Bayonetta, I posted in the thread my disappointment, with a sinking feeling that Bayonetta was not really the "ballot winner" (which she was certainly presented as being of a sort, even if word choices allowed for them to get out of being exact about it), and left SmashBoards. I hung up my hat on speculation, thinking the next Smash was not coming out for a very long time and I would be in my 30s at least if I ever saw K. Rool in Smash. I felt defeated, and annoyed at all the detractors who got their "win" by us losing. I felt that he could still return to DKC someday, but by the time he would have a chance to be in Smash again, I'd probably stop caring. Every time I saw K. Rool I was just reminded of a grueling battle that we seemingly lost.

Hope rose again with a certain burning symbol in an Inkling eye... I felt going into E3 K. Rool had about a 50/50 chance, but with the confirmation of Ridley and focus on things that fans wanted (veterans returning, changes to gameplay mechanics, etc.), K. Rool was surely coming. The knowledge of the December 2015 design document and the Bayonetta datamine only sent my hopes up higher and higher. I was so sure it was all lining up...

...and then Vergeben's PM was leaked with "no new DK rep." Although the details to Verge's claim were initially vague - and later from a bunk source - the damage was done. I remember being in the K. Rool discord when the news broke. We were distraught for perhaps the first time since E3. No new DK character? Seriously? What the hell does this mean for the DK franchise? All sorts of doomsday scenarios ran through our heads.

Did I mention this was literally the night before the August Direct, with the music leak confirming Verge's claim of Simon Belmont? We needed a miracle, and a certain crocodile king rose to the challenge. It's true what they say. The night is darkest before the dawn.

View attachment 180533

Hail to the king, baby.
This brought me back.

I will always #KrocTheVote to
#BringBackKRool
even if he's already back.

Sorry, I forgot to tag the necessary people in true #BringbackKRool spirit

@Sora_Sakurai
@trintran
@HIGUCHI_BNG
@NintendoAmerica
@NintendoAntarctica
@NintendoPortland
@NintendoChile
@HIGUCHI_BNG_personalaccount_leavemealonekroolpeople

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That was awesome lots of stuff to study.

But more about King K. Rool to learn I look forward to it.

Should be grand.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
This brought me back.

I will always #KrocTheVote to
#BringBackKRool
even if he's already back.

Sorry, I forgot to tag the necessary people in true #BringbackKRool spirit

@Sora_Sakurai
@trintran
@HIGUCHI_BNG
@NintendoAmerica
@NintendoAntarctica
@NintendoPortland
@NintendoChile
@HIGUCHI_BNG_personalaccount_leavemealonekroolpeople
Hell, we're not even done quite yet. We're still waiting for the other shoe to drop and for K. Rool to appear in other games as well. I feel it's only a matter of time before he starts appearing in Mario spin-offs and of course the DK series again. I doubt the ballot is being used just for the Smash series, it's probably a good tool for them to gauge character popularity with in general.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Hell, we're not even done quite yet. We're still waiting for the other shoe to drop and for K. Rool to appear in other games as well. I feel it's only a matter of time before he starts appearing in Mario spin-offs and of course the DK series again. I doubt the ballot is being used just for the Smash series, it's probably a good tool for them to gauge character popularity with in general.
We just got Pauline in Super Strikers, confirming her bigger role isn't just related to Odyssey. It remains to be seen but interesting to speculate whether this makes Pauline like Rosalina in being the next lady monarch to become a primary Mario character, joining the ranks of Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina after the Galaxy games. I bring this up because K. Rool Super Strikers DLC pack 2 when?

*EDIT* I just had this idea: What would K. Rool wear to a Tennis game? Would we get to see K. Rool rocking tennis clothes? This large ugly mug with a bloodshot eye walks onto the court in khaki shorts, a sky blue (or gold!) collared shirt, and a sun cap (possibly designed to look like a crown?)? Imagine K. Rool looking mean like he normally does but dresses like he just wants to take a load off and enjoy some relaxing tennis friendlies. Speaking of, baring Donkey Kong and Bowser, how do you think K. Rool would get along with other Mario characters? Is it weird that I could see K. Rool being oddly amicable towards Mario? Like, K. Rool figures any guy who's inviting him to Tennis tournaments and go-kart excursions can't be that bad a guy?

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting to see one of the reasons to pick Bowser over KKR: Lethality. Which is not to say KKR doesn't have kill options or can't kill early. What I'm saying is that K Rool's overall move pool lacks the power of Bowser's, whose every move except Nair and Up B murders people. A lot of KKR's moves have sweet and sour spots to compensate for their own uses, and several moves aren't meant to kill at all (Utilt, DTilt, Nair) or are hard to kill with (Dsmash). If my opponent is over 150%, I can rely on Bowser getting the kill with literally any move, but I've seen more than a few high health characters survive stray hits in trade from KKR.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
We just got Pauline in Super Strikers, confirming her bigger role isn't just related to Odyssey. It remains to be seen but interesting to speculate whether this makes Pauline like Rosalina in being the next lady monarch to become a primary Mario character, joining the ranks of Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina after the Galaxy games. I bring this up because K. Rool Super Strikers DLC pack 2 when?

*EDIT* I just had this idea: What would K. Rool wear to a Tennis game? Would we get to see K. Rool rocking tennis clothes? This large ugly mug with a bloodshot eye walks onto the court in khaki shorts, a sky blue (or gold!) collared shirt, and a sun cap (possibly designed to look like a crown?)? Imagine K. Rool looking mean like he normally does but dresses like he just wants to take a load off and enjoy some relaxing tennis friendlies. Speaking of, baring Donkey Kong and Bowser, how do you think K. Rool would get along with other Mario characters? Is it weird that I could see K. Rool being oddly amicable towards Mario? Like, K. Rool figures any guy who's inviting him to Tennis tournaments and go-kart excursions can't be that bad a guy?
tennis k. rool.jpeg

You inspired me enough to put this together real quick.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
View attachment 180840
You inspired me enough to put this together real quick.
It'd be fun to have King K. Rool in more spin-offs again. Now that he's at the forefront of people's attention again, it probably wouldn't hurt to have him in stuff like Mario Tennis Aces or Super Mario Party. I'd be down for appearances like that to ease the wait for a brand-new Donkey Kong game where he might be the antagonist again.

EDIT - Speaking of: How likely do you think we will see a new Donkey Kong Country game for the Switch, and also does everyone think K. Rool's chances are for being the villain for it?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It'd be fun to have King K. Rool in more spin-offs again. Now that he's at the forefront of people's attention again, it probably wouldn't hurt to have him in stuff like Mario Tennis Aces or Super Mario Party. I'd be down for appearances like that to ease the wait for a brand-new Donkey Kong game where he might be the antagonist again.

EDIT - Speaking of: How likely do you think we will see a new Donkey Kong Country game for the Switch, and also does everyone think K. Rool's chances are for being the villain for it?
After the response to K.Rool, you know Nintendo's gonna use K.Rool as the final boss again for the next one. The only question it when that next one would release...

But K.Rool in Kart? Party? Heck yes!

Speaking of, we're due for some Super Mario Party DLC characters...

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
So up throw isn't a kill throw, Ridley survives it at 155%
However back throw does kill near the ledge

Luigi player

Smash Master
Not gonna lie K. Rools taunts are kind of a let down to me... there's like no personality (of the ones I've known him for) of him in there.

He never bites like that, he usually doesn't hit his belly thinking he's great, and he's also not a sumo wrestler for that stomp to make sense...

Where is the taunt that makes him look to the player like he did in every DKC? I'm sure they could've found a few things that would fit how we know him a little more. It's just taken out of nowhere or the sumo thing from Donkey Konga games or something..

I really can't decide which taunt of his I'd even want to use but the stomp seems funniest because you can mix it up with dtilt to maybe confuse someone? lol.

Last edited:

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie K. Rools taunts are kind of a let down to me... there's like no personality of him in there.

He never bites like that, he usually doesn't hit his belly thinking he's great, and he's also not a sumo wrestler for that stomp to make sense...

Where is the taunt that makes him look to the player like he did in every DKC? I'm sure they could've found a few things that would fit how we know him a little more. It's just taken out of nowhere or the sumo thing from Donkey Konga games or something..

I really can't decide which taunt of his I'd even want to use but the stomp seems funniest because you can mix it up with dtilt to maybe confused someone? lol.
I'm just using the up smash as a pseudo taunt. Or maybe an upward blunderbuss shot. His other moves are so charismatic that the actual taunts being meh isn't a big deal.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
After the response to K.Rool, you know Nintendo's gonna use K.Rool as the final boss again for the next one. The only question it when that next one would release...

But K.Rool in Kart? Party? Heck yes!

Speaking of, we're due for some Super Mario Party DLC characters...
Sometime between now and the end of the Switch cycle, if even then. Continuing to rely on Retro Studios is going to become a crutch at this rate.

Definitely looking forward to him in spin-offs though, seeing as Pauline took practically no time at all to start showing up.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Bye for a while, everybody.

I'd like to take a while to explain why I got pulled into the King K Rool movement. Bit of a read, but I felt the need to tell y'all this.

I was 13 when I got a proper introduction to Nintendo through the 3ds, from an uncle. I had played games before, but this was the first time I had actually owned a system. My first game was Ocarina of Time 3D.

I started to voraciously consume Nintendo games. Imagine my joy when Smash 4 was announced for the 3ds. An all star fighting game? With Mario? Count me in!

I played Sm4sh for its entire lifetime. When DLC was announced, and speculation was rife, I first heard about King K Rool. At that time, all I knew was that he was a character from DK, and possibly a Bowser ripoff. But, reading the undying love and support he seemed to have, I decided to play the games. I absolutely enjoyed DKC, and DK64.

I entered college at around a year after the final DLC was announced.

I won't forget August 8th, 2018, because that was the day my world crashed down around me. I attend college in a different country than the one I live in, and I was home for vacations after giving my finals.

I was happy after watching the Direct. Wow, thought I to myself as I took my phone out, the K Rool fellas must be ecstatic.

Of course, I had little time to think about that, as right then I found out that I had failed my second year of college.

Failure of a college year may not sound like a big deal, but it is to my family and I. I was broken. My friends began to fade away. I sank horribly deep into misery. My teachers were ashamed of me. I couldn't show my face anywhere, and I'd cry myself to sleep nearly every night.

The only thing that kept me reasonably sane was Smash Ultimate. I felt a huge lethargy. My re-exam was coming up in January, and I had no desire to study. All I wanted to do was stop living.

I thought it'd be fun (or at least, I could feel a bit of joy again) to see your reactions when King K Rool was announced, so I went back a bunch of pages on here to check it out. What I found was an incredible, unyielding support. I found a rock solid belief that things would turn out alright. And, it somehow helped me.

I wanted to be happy. I wanted to have friends. I wanted to play as a fat reptile monarch. I wanted to live.

I wanted to play Smash.

I turned around that day, September 13th. I whipped myself into shape with daily exercises. I studied every day until I couldn't hold my books anymore. When I felt myself slipping, I watched King K Rool's trailer. I listened to the Gangplank Galleon remix on the site.

My re-exams are in January, so now I'm taking a break from the board to finish studying for it. I'll be back by mid Jan, having gotten a copy is Smash Ultimate by then too.

Does my story sound silly to you? I don't blame you. But King K Rool, and you, his Kutthroat Kremlings, pulled me out of a dark place in the most bizarre manner possible. And I'll never forget it.

Thank you all.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

I'd like to take a while to explain why I got pulled into the King K Rool movement. Bit of a read, but I felt the need to tell y'all this.

I was 13 when I got a proper introduction to Nintendo through the 3ds, from an uncle. I had played games before, but this was the first time I had actually owned a system. My first game was Ocarina of Time 3D.

I started to voraciously consume Nintendo games. Imagine my joy when Smash 4 was announced for the 3ds. An all star fighting game? With Mario? Count me in!

I played Sm4sh for its entire lifetime. When DLC was announced, and speculation was rife, I first heard about King K Rool. At that time, all I knew was that he was a character from DK, and possibly a Bowser ripoff. But, reading the undying love and support he seemed to have, I decided to play the games. I absolutely enjoyed DKC, and DK64.

I won't forget August 8th, 2018, because that was the day my world crashed down around me. I attend college in a different country than the one I live in, and I was home for vacations after giving my finals.

I was happy after watching the Direct. Wow, thought I to myself as I took my phone out, the K Rool fellas must be ecstatic.

Of course, I had little time to think about that, as right then I found out that I had failed my second year of college.

Failure of a college year may not sound like a big deal, but it is to my family and I. I was broken. My friends began to fade away. I sank horribly deep into misery. My teachers were ashamed of me. I couldn't show my face anywhere, and I'd cry myself to sleep nearly every night.

The only thing that kept me reasonably sane was Smash Ultimate. I felt a huge lethargy. My re-exam was coming up in January, and I had no desire to study. All I wanted to do was stop living.

I thought it'd be fun (or at least, I could feel a bit of joy again) to see your reactions when King K Rool was announced, so I went back a bunch of pages on here to check it out. What I found was an incredible, unyielding support. I found a rock solid belief that things would turn out alright. And, it somehow helped me.

I wanted to be happy. I wanted to have friends. I wanted to play as a fat reptile monarch. I wanted to live.

I wanted to play Smash.

I turned around that day, September 13th. I whipped myself into shape with daily exercises. I studied every day until I couldn't hold my books anymore. When I felt myself slipping, I watched King K Rool's trailer. I listened to the Gangplank Galleon remix on the site.

My re-exams are in January, so now I'm taking a break from the board to finish studying for it. I'll be back by mid Jan, having gotten a copy is Smash Ultimate by then too.

Does my story sound silly to you? I don't blame you. But King K Rool, and you, his Kutthroat Kremlings, pulled me out of a dark place in the most bizarre manner possible. And I'll never forget it.

Thank you all.
It's not silly at all man, I totally get you. We on the K. Rool boars will be rooting for you. Give it your best and give your exams hell!

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
I wanted to make a joke here pretending that My Finest Hour was about King K. Rool's inclusion in Smash Bros. but the joke is too obvious. It had already been done on both Youtube and Smashboards.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

I wanted to play Smash.

Thank you all.
Good luck to you. We're rooting for you.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Not gonna lie K. Rools taunts are kind of a let down to me... there's like no personality (of the ones I've known him for) of him in there.

I really can't decide which taunt of his I'd even want to use but the stomp seems funniest because you can mix it up with dtilt to maybe confuse someone? lol.
I do like the belly slap taunt. It's the gesture equivalent of a crocodile bellowing to communicate its size!

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman

I wanted to play Smash.

Thank you all.
Sending you luck as well!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I have been watching King K. Rool's reveal trailer nearly every night ever since he was announced back in August. However, something was different when I watched his trailer last night; I cried. It just hit me how real this is all becoming. King K. Rool has been the only character I wanted in Smash since Brawl released, and after knowing of his existence in Smash Ultimate for nearly four months, it finally feels like the possibility of him actually being playable is becoming a reality. A reality only six days from now, a dream that seemed too distant is but almost here after waiting my whole life, is actually happening. I'm just thinking of all of the friends I met over the years and how I told all of them how much I wanted King K. Rool in Smash, and the next thing I know, I can actually use him after talking about him for so long. Truly beautiful. The wait for Smash Ultimate is killing me, I wouldn't be surprised if I cried tears of joy during my first ever match using the Kremling King. All of our finest hours are soon enough, it's been a real pleasure speculating about King K. Rool with all of you on SmashBoards.

StormC

Smash Hero
Japanese advertisement with the Smash villains.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This is so freaking cool to me, guys. We made it.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Japanese advertisement with the Smash villains.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This is so freaking cool to me, guys. We made it.
I'm surprised Dedede is there instead of Wolf/Meta Knight considering the Rivals trailer.

Then again, teasing K. Rool only to yank that hope away IS nothing short of pure evil.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm surprised Dedede is there instead of Wolf/Meta Knight considering the Rivals trailer.

Then again, teasing K. Rool only to yank that hope away IS nothing short of pure evil.
Probably just because Dedede is a more iconic and recognizable character than either of those. Meta Knight was likely only slipped into the Rivals cinematic anyway because Dedede was in the full motion cutscene, to prevent redundancy. Smash has always portrayed him as neutral at worst, while Dedede tends to get a bit more of a villainous flair (being in the event matches with Bowser and Ganondorf, for one).

Last edited:
Top Bottom