• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

StormC

Smash Hero
Dammit, are they showing K. Rool footage now? I just got into work after waiting forever for it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
King K. Rool and Ridley were my two most wanted characters for 17 years and I am very thankful that both of them finally got into the roster. Especially after seeing the massive character slaughter today.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Dammit, are they showing K. Rool footage now? I just got into work after waiting forever for it.
Yeah, it's over now.

We've seen all of his other moves now. Biggest thing is a burying down throw which means absurd free followups!

D

Deleted member

Will see the stuff when I can. Glad our boy King K. Rool was featured a lot.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I don't think K. Rool gets to use the crown as an item, unfortunately. It respawns as an item near him if it's thrown off stage, rather than reappearing on his head, and seems to blink back onto him if he touches it.
Diddy's final smash has completely omitted the popguns and is now more or less the same as the new Super Sonic.
Also, second hit of u-smash spikes. It hit Diddy while he was grounded so it was hard to tell, but you can hear the sound. 8:11 on the video C C-G linked

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh my God, just when I thought I could be more hyped. . .

Off the top of my head, the USmash looks like a subtle reference to his playing dead, with the stiffening up and falling over.

I -thought- I saw him start to flap his arms like Baron after his helicopter pack was starting to peter out.

They canonized his belly being armor, a detail Steve Mayles had only ever posted about once on Twitter, and turned it into a mechanic.

He's got a black Kudgel costume and a red palette that seems evocative of the red Kritters.

And that new victory pose. . ."I'm actually in Smash? They finally did it?!" *pose*

Perfection.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
King K. Rool and Ridley were my two most wanted characters for 17 years and I am very thankful that both of them finally got into the roster. Especially after seeing the massive character slaughter today.
Same here 100%. I wanted Ridley and k Rool after melee, before I had hair on my ****. While I wanted to see banjo and Geno, I can finally rest easy knowing we got k Rool and Ridley! Brawl release, smash 4 release, and the bayoneta and corin reveals were HORRIBLE lmao it's nice to feel good for once!!

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Looks like the cracks K Rool gets in his belly armor heal over the course of 5 seconds. That means that hoooooooooooo boy this gator is fantastic in disadvantage state. That nair will eat juggles for breakfast

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Finally a decent footage with K.Rool.

I might be wront, but looks like his normals seem good, he migth have a decent speed for his size.
Crown can have its uses, but blunderbuss seems to be confirmed as crap.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Finally a decent footage with K.Rool.

I might be wront, but looks like his normals seem good, he migth have a decent speed for his size.
Crown can have its uses, but blunderbuss seems to be confirmed as crap.
You and I are watching two different things. They confirmed the Blunderbuss as GOOD since you can shoot/not suck and suck/not shoot.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
You and I are watching two different things. They confirmed the Blunderbuss as GOOD since you can shoot/not suck and suck/not shoot.
But you can't chose the angle for the second shot, nor can you shoot upward first.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
But you can't chose the angle for the second shot, nor can you shoot upward first.
If you don't think a giant, slow moving projectile that spans most of the screen and hits really hard, nor being able to absorb and reflect projectiles isn't useful, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
One of the people playing said that the Blast-O-Matic was from Donkey Kong Country 2...

Nevertheless, I am very happy and over the moon that he was talked about today and was prominently featured in the Smash Direct. This makes me glad that he was confirmed when he was, otherwise he probably would have went through the same thing many characters suffered today. (RIP Shadow, Isaac, Skull Kid, and many more...)

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Confirmed, his recovery has a hitbox.
He seems like the heaviest character in the game when he has his armour.
Blunderbus seems to come out pretty fast when the cannonball is already out, seems like a reliable command grab then. Using it up close to someone shielding allows you to suck it up relatively quick too.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
One of the people playing said that the Blast-O-Matic was from Donkey Kong Country 2...
lol I rolled my eyes at that. DK64 is the one DK game I played, so of course I recognized that!

Loving the burying down throw - it's hysterical. I can't wait to see more of him. And that belly flop uSmash is beautiful.

Oh, hey, nobody's mentioned the amiibo so far. It looks good. (image wouldn't post correctly for some reason)

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/o4f.../13370683/amiibo_SuperSmashBros_KingKRool.png
MUST. GET. ON. RELEASE!!!!

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
We got a TREAT in the King K Rool showcase today. If any of you haven't seen it, the link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDN3Eq_CN_M

I want to talk about some of the moves and what they mean for the character.

N-Air - this is the DKLand belly flop thing. We just got this confirmed to have super armour which is, quite frankly, a massive deal for the character. Heavy characters traditionally have really bad disadvantage states, struggling with juggling in particular. This is a reasonably fast, super armoured aerial that laughs at that. K Rool gets down for free compared to other heavy characters. Sure, you have to be careful about the armour cracking, but this is an incredible move.

Up Special - This has been confirmed to have a hitbox. It's not going to kill anyone soon, but for a recovery move that fast with that much distance, it's amazing that it has one. Comparisons to the likes of Duck Hunt were sorely unwarranted; this is probably the best recovery any heavy has after King Dedede.

Down Throw - The fact this buries is huge. I don't know how many of you have seen me raving about ROB's doing the same thing, but this genuinely opens up so many options for followups that it's unlikely K Rool will ever want to use a different throw. It gives him guaranteed smash attacks which is great for KOing, but there will almost certainly be other options that are even better - a buried state reduces knockback which helps comboes further. For example, look at the knockback on sourspot Down Tilt at Diddy around 1:05. It's not unreasonable to hope you could do a down throw, down tilt, forward aerial combo - and that's a strong move. K Rools other kit works around this well too. Crown is a good way of pressuring and forcing shield (like Link does) thereby giving opportunities to grab, and his grab itself is huge.

Basically, I think these moves bode very, very well for King K Rool.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Also best buy has the amiibo up for pre order.
Thanks! I just got mine preordered.

And the Piranha Plant. Wtf.

I wonder if they're going to remake the other amiibo now that the poses changed. I don't think it seems like they will, but it'll be annoying, especially for the Zelda crew who look totally different.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Well, today's Direct ended in quite the slaughter for quite a few characters. Still have hopes for Dixie and will certainly advocate for her for DLC (I hope many here will do the same)!

A lot of people are pissed of course, but I am grateful to have the King K. Rool boards to come to and remember that King K. Rool is in the game to look forward to; this going to be an amazing game, and the roster is amazing. Was certainly a treat to see him in action a bit more with explanations about some of his skills. Some of his Tilts and aerials look amazing, and his moves are FULL of character.

Curious to those who have preordered the Amiibo, are you guys in the USA? I don't see anything in the Canadian Best Buy site as of yet.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I don't like K. Rool's amiibo tbh. Did not translate well. But I will buy it in solidarity for King K. Rool and to fund King K. Rool's schemes for years to ocme.

Phantomjack24

Smash Rookie
Well, today's Direct ended in quite the slaughter for quite a few characters. Still have hopes for Dixie and will certainly advocate for her for DLC (I hope many here will do the same)!

A lot of people are pissed of course, but I am grateful to have the King K. Rool boards to come to and remember that King K. Rool is in the game to look forward to; this going to be an amazing game, and the roster is amazing. Was certainly a treat to see him in action a bit more with explanations about some of his skills. Some of his Tilts and aerials look amazing, and his moves are FULL of character.

Curious to those who have preordered the Amiibo, are you guys in the USA? I don't see anything in the Canadian Best Buy site as of yet.
Just in the US for now it seems...but keep checking should be soon enough.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
Guys I have a question, according to Smashpedia, K.Rool’s standing neutral ends with him doing a kick, has this been shown anywhere?

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Oh, hey, nobody's mentioned the amiibo so far. It looks good. (image wouldn't post correctly for some reason)

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/o4f.../13370683/amiibo_SuperSmashBros_KingKRool.png
I just pre-ordered on Best Buy. Though I think the amiibo looks a bit wonky in the face area... That treehouse gameplay was fantastic even if I was a bit pissed that Smitty didn't know the Blast-O-Matic was from DK64 and not DKC2...but I'll let it slide since he's young..(Though he does work for Nintendo...)

D

Deleted member

King K. Rool looked amazing, in gameplay, his main focus is on his belly, and it seems is stomach attack is great for counters but be careful or he'll be stunned.

Down tilt buries and will be helpful.

His down throw is strong and really awesome.

Helicopter pack is good.

He looked amazing Definetly going to a permanent main for me.

He did great in matches too lasted long before Isabelle KO'd him. He' amazing.

Top Bottom