• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Guys, I have been wondering. Let me ask you all a thing: If K. Rool were to be low or not-so-high tier or whatever in this game, will you still main him?

As for me, I surely will! Never cared much about tiers to begin with, personally.
I don't believe I've ever played at a level where tiers make a difference. Even if I had, I stubbornly solo mained ROB for the entirety of last game. This game I'm intending to dual main ROB and K Rool, and also give some love to ICs, my old Brawl main.

With so many characters, it honestly feels like a shame to restrict yourself to one.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Guys, I have been wondering. Let me ask you all a thing: If K. Rool were to be low or not-so-high tier or whatever in this game, will you still main him?

As for me, I surely will! Never cared much about tiers to begin with, personally.
I've mained Ganondorf and DK for ages, and the guys I play Smash with most often play Mario and Falcon, so I'm used to being combo food. It's just the name of the game when you're playing the big boys, hah.

Speaking of maining, though, I'm just wondering when we're gonna get to see the rest of his set. We've seen all his specials and taunts, a forward aerial, a forward smash, a dash attack, an up-throw, and a tilt of some description? That leaves a decent chunk of moves for them to cram references into. Not to mention his victory animations, the rest of his palette swaps, his role in whatever single player modes we end up getting...gahhh, I wanna know everything about this stinkin' game but I don't wanna wait until December

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Who would have thought that by 200 pages we would have K. Rool known as a playable character!

Also to me yeah it doesn't matter how good a character is I will play them if I like them. It helps that I only play casually with friends so having K. Rool in regardless was the important factor.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord

If Duck Hunt can make it to the tops in EVO, I can take the King all the way to the top, regardless of tiers

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Not a competitive player and as you can see in my sig by my mains I mainly use heavies. I like their playstyle more even if I cycle through the whole roster eventually anyway. So yes K.Rool will probably be the character I play with most regardless of teir.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

All day, EVERYDAY! He is my guaranteed main.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Tiers aren't of any consequence, I'm a total casual no matter the game. I'll absolutely play him if his fighting style clicks with me; I've loved Rosalina since Mario Galaxy, but I just don't enjoy playing as her in Smash, as amazing as she looks in action. Crossing fingers K. Rool will be more my type :)

D

Deleted member

Yup, promised myself I would and I'll stick by it no matter what I'm maiming him no matter what.

Don't care for tiers so dosen't matter where he stands there, to me.

Also love the new version of Gang-Plank Galleon the old version is a classic, will always love it. But this is incredible too some of my favourite music, in gaming old and new versions!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
Really the only right attitude to have is to disregard the tiers. You like to play a character, you play them. I would more look if the character just feels good for you to play, personally . I considered Palutena my main for a while in early Sm4sh, but man they botched her standard moveset. Made it hard to stick with her, no matter how much I liked the character.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
I’ve been a Kampaigner since the pre smash 4 days (not as long as some of you haha) and i couldnt give less of a **** of where he is on the tier list. Gonna main the krocodile Day 1 and its gonna stay that way.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
We all worked so hard to bring King K. Rool back, it would be a disservice to not main him. I mained Charizard in Smash 4 and Project M, but the Kremling King looks like so much fun to play as that I want to dedicate using only him as my main. Sorry Zard, but this is truly our finest hour. I am so ecstatic to finally main King K. Rool.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I will play King K. Rool cause I love the character. Look at some of my mains to the left. I play characters I like regardless of what tier they are in.

StormC

Smash Hero
I will do absolutely everything I can to main K. Rool. I was disappointed when Mega Man and Palutena's playstyles didn't quite grab me in Smash 4 despite being my two most wanted, but I was a big fan of Bowser in 4, and K. Rool looks to be like that, but even better. It's less about how good he is and more about how well he fits my playstyle.

If it doesn't work out, well... still have pocket :ultcloud: to fall back on.

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
I really want to have a look at his full moveset. Other newcomers have had the pleasure of being showcased, but our King hasn't been given the honor yet. Don't believe we've seen up smash, aerials aside from f-air, or any of his tilts. I need more K. Rool animations, darn it!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I really want to have a look at his full moveset. Other newcomers have had the pleasure of being showcased, but our King hasn't been given the honor yet. Don't believe we've seen up smash, aerials aside from f-air, or any of his tilts. I need more K. Rool animations, darn it!
So far, we have seen the following moves:

Neutral B (Blunderbuss)
Side B (Krown Toss)
Up B (Helicopter Pack)
Down B (Belly Counter)
Final Smash (Blast-o-Matic)
Dash attack (Belly flop)
Forward Smash (Boxing Glove Punch)
Forward Air (A one-hit kick attack)
Down Tilt (Stomp that buries opponents)
Up Throw (Seismic Toss look-a-like)
Missed grab animation (Where his eye buldges more as he misses)
Three taunts (Belly slap, multiple bites, leaning over with one foot stomped)
Entrance animation (Falls down from the sky and lands on both legs, then laughs while his arms are crossed)
Crouch or tumble landed animation (Not sure which one, looks like when he fakes defeat in DKC1)

In addition to any missing Smash attacks, air attacks, tilt attacks, and throws, we are also missing the following:

Jab
Jab combo
Pummel
Get up attack
Ledge attack
Victory animations

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
You know, after reading BKupa666 BKupa666 tidbits on K Rool's inclusion, I have a pretty good feeling he might remain a staple character for Smash Bros, along the lines of Bowser and Ganondorf. It seems they are attempting to bring him back in a big way moving forward. I know it's too early to even be thinking about the next game, but I just have a feeling he's staying for keeps.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I hope that we‘ll get a full character introduction in the next direct, with a possible reveal of Dixie as an Echo fighter

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I keep bringing this up but I really hope like DK Rool's Kourt is filled out much like how Bowser has his Koopalings

Characters like

Should make appearances in the future.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
You know, after reading BKupa666 BKupa666 tidbits on K Rool's inclusion, I have a pretty good feeling he might remain a staple character for Smash Bros, along the lines of Bowser and Ganondorf. It seems they are attempting to bring him back in a big way moving forward. I know it's too early to even be thinking about the next game, but I just have a feeling he's staying for keeps.
Ridley, too. After how much support he received over the years, they'd be insane to cut him after this.

I think Sakurai and co. underestimated how many people cared about the villains from these franchises. Now it's obvious that they're aware, and I think we'll see more villains in future games.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ridley, too. After how much support he received over the years, they'd be insane to cut him after this.

I think Sakurai and co. underestimated how many people cared about the villains from these franchises. Now it's obvious that they're aware, and I think we'll see more villains in future games.
I think the last one missing maybe Porky, oh and Deathborn from F-Zero. But both are a little touch and go, sadly.

Masked Man is a good sub, but I'd prefer Porky due to his weight in the franchise.

Though if ARMS gets in this game somewhere Dr.Coyle would be nice.

Third party wise the biggest ones are Eggman and Sephiroth.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Now we just got to hope K. Rool becomes a mainstay in DKC again and maybe get some love in the Mario spin-off games. I'd pay top dollar to have him be playable in Mario Kart.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest

True. The only arguments that kept them out of Smash are moot, so there is 0 reason to cut them.

Last edited:

Maplemage

Smash Rookie
NNID
BandanaDDD
3DS FC
1220-7217-4923
Just wanna say, it's great to see K Rool in, and I want to be a part of this (:

StormC

Smash Hero

This will be especially true if Skull Kid gets in. Skull Kid is a pretty minor character in the big scheme of things and Sakurai has had a very high bar when it comes to adding villains/boss characters to Smash in terms of series importance. Skull Kid would lower that bar quite a bit.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
iirc, Nintendo said that they will have a new demo build of Ultimate playable at gamescom, i’m hoping K.Rool will be usable.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
K.Rool will be my main no matter what, even if he's the worst character in the entire game !
I never pick characters based on tiers, even if I think they are usefull.
I just don't care if my character is good or bad, I try to make him look good as much as I can by improving myself, if I love him this is the only thing that matters.
And this this from someone who has been playing Vega/Claw in Street Fighter 4 and 5 although he is probably the worst character in both game (well not anymore in USF4, but he is still hard to use, and he was trash in vanilla).
The good thing is that tiers matter less in Smash games imo, I play them like party games always with items on.

I just hope the online won't be only full of mercyless players, that could be a problem then if K.Rool sucks.
I still can't believe Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is filled with so many good players, any casuals would get butchered there.
I struggle so much to remain on the 6th first places.
But hey let's first hope Smash Ultimate Online will be playable this time, it's not even a given...

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
Same, he could be the absolute worst character, i would still main him, i didn't wait 16 years to ignore him once he's in the game.
I don't think i'll play online though, final destination/no items is pretty lame, this is not Smash Bros in my opinion. And i don't wanna fight for the honor as K Rool, no, i want to be a coward who use every items he can to win the battle.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Same, he could be the absolute worst character, i would still main him, i didn't wait 16 years to ignore him once he's in the game.
I don't think i'll play online though, final destination/no items is pretty lame, this is not Smash Bros in my opinion. And i don't wanna fight for the honor as K Rool, no, i want to be a coward who use every items he can to win the battle.
What there won't be items online ?
Wtf is that ?

Never played Smash 4 Wii U, and barely played Brawl online, it was pathetic.

Last edited:

Klimax

Smash Ace
I think they're going to give us the same online than Smash 4:
You wanna play competitive ? Okay, no item and only final destination.
You want some items and fun stages ? Okay, but there's no rank and matches are short as hell.

But hey, maybe we'll have a competitive mode with items and fun stages, i hope.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
So poor options, it really sucks...
Unfortunately I don't have many friends to play Smash bros with locally.
Even if the solo content is solid, this is a multiplayer game.
Nowaday if you don't have online in that genre, it is a fail, even from Nintendo.
And with so poor options, you might as well not even have online.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace

eh. k rool and ridley are less about "obligatory villain" and are more beloved characters from some of the greatest games ever, that were top requests for 15 years and should have been in a long time ago... that happen to be villains

i wouldnt except to start seeing characters on the sole reason that they are bad guys

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I think they're going to give us the same online than Smash 4:
You wanna play competitive ? Okay, no item and only final destination.
You want some items and fun stages ? Okay, but there's no rank and matches are short as hell.

But hey, maybe we'll have a competitive mode with items and fun stages, i hope.
There is no ranking system in either mode.

This said, whilst I do think there are big improvements that could be made to both modes, the dichotomy between players who want items and players who don't will always exist and I'm glad they cater to both.

Just give For Fun a stocks mode, and For Glory the option to use a few more stages (such as the new Battlefield forms) without forcing us onto ones that are too obtrusive. This caters to everyone a bit better.

Of course to make this relevant to King K Rool, I'm probably not likely to touch vanilla battlefield again - the BF form of one of the DK stages is going to be my go to, for that sweet Gangplank Galleon remix.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think if the demo doesn't have new characters in it, the last Smash Direct will have a segment going into the movesets of K. Rool and other revealed characters since then, like how the April 2014 Smash Direct went into detail about Mega Man, Rosalina, etc.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
eh. k rool and ridley are less about "obligatory villain" and are more beloved characters from some of the greatest games ever, that were top requests for 15 years and should have been in a long time ago... that happen to be villains

i wouldnt except to start seeing characters on the sole reason that they are bad guys
Oh yeah, they're definitely also added because they're beloved characters from great franchises. What I'm saying is that Nintendo seems to have underestimated how beloved their villains are if they're not Bowser or Ganon.

The Mario and Zelda franchises alone have several unique, interesting, and beloved villain characters, but you never see them after their initial appearance. Because Nintendo values accessibility above all else, they don't want people to get confused when they play a new game and go "Who's this character? What's going on?" because they didn't play a specific previous game. They may put references and callbacks in their games, but you'll never see Skull Kid/Majora's Mask or Zant appear in another Zelda game, for example.

Which I guess is part of why King K. Rool was blacklisted for a while. The last game he had a major appearance in was on the Nintendo 64 or something, right? So Nintendo thinks that's too long ago, and that he's not as well-known as the protagonists, so they exclude him from future games. It's not until people are pounding at the gates for him to come back that they realize they were wrong.

Top Bottom