• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Just popping in to say congrats lads, you did it! Thanks for getting K. Rool in. He’d be as dead as Wart were it not for you.

Croc fact of the year:
Saltwater crocodiles have occasionally been sighted swimming as far north as the Sea of Japan. Of course, that’s only in the summer, otherwise they’d get too cold to swim and drown.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Honestly, King K. Rool wouldn't be a bad character for free-for-alls. I never played a DK game with him in it, but he isn't bad, I suppose.

Now I can have :ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultwolf::ultridley::ultbowserjr::ultmewtwo::ultmetaknight: all face off, with King K. Rool too (8-Player Smash)!

Also, Chandeelure Chandeelure , where did you find that GIF in your signature? It's so . . . morbid. I like it!
From this video, it's pretty funny.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
For music I want Crocodile Cacophany, Lockjaw's Saga, Fear Factory, Homecoming Hijinxs / Snomads Theme, Seashore War, and Grassland Groove.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't know if anyone saw this, but a new image of Rool not on the site popped up in this album
https://imgur.com/a/HdDfJce

Mostly stages with some new shots as well.
I also noticed yesterday in this Twitter post, there was a screenshot not in the site.

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1027199571011592192

Something extremely fitting about K. Rool, a character invented in 1994, appearing in a Yoshi's Island stage, a game from 1995, using his helipack from DKC3 circa 1996.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Jib Jig and Mining Melancholy is all I need!
I guess only time will tell, but I'm hoping K. Rool means the DK series can get the Castlevania treatment and get some banger tracks. Boss Bossanova, Crocodile Cacophony, Mining Melancholy, Krook's March, Jib Jig, Primal Rave, Klomp's Romp, Lockjaw's Saga (A personal favorite of mine!), Snakey Chanty, Bad Bird Rag, Flight of the Zinger, Hot Head Bop, Forest Interlude, Baron K Roolenstein's theme, if I had it my way, all of these tracks and more would get either direct ports into the game, or remixes. Here's hoping we get a few bangers this time!

*EDIT* And no offense to Brawl, but how about an actually good recreation of Stickerbush Symphony this time? Also, I'll have to brush up on the DKC3 tracks to see which ones I really like. Only played DKC3 once and I don't remember the standout tracks. I'm listening to Rockface Rumble right now. I would add that to Ultimate.

*EDIT NUMERO DOS* I can't believe I forgot about Fear Factory! And I call myself a DK fan?!?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It is kinda neat that 90s nostalgia is finally being acknowledged by Nintendo. Also, I know DKC was never a big deal in Japan so everything about this is a bit of a shift.
DKC is very popular in Japan. The cartoon especially was massive over there. K. Rool was the top voted character on the ballot in Japan, and he was the #1 trend on Japanese Twitter when he was announced.

It's not hard to see why either. The series has a super universal appeal. Cartoony animals and great gameplay go a long way.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
just came back to check up on the krew to see how the wait was coming but it seems waiting is no longer necessary. From what i'm reading our krocodilian leader is already in. I won't say i was right when had a feeling we'd get something good out of this

[if questionable check on page 112 of this thread to see what i mean]

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
DKC is very popular in Japan. The cartoon especially was massive over there. K. Rool was the top voted character on the ballot in Japan, and he was the #1 trend on Japanese Twitter when he was announced.

It's not hard to see why either. The series has a super universal appeal. Cartoony animals and great gameplay go a long way.
I accept being wrong! Had no idea, just assumed since it lay long dormant with only DK64 between DKC and the very late GC era Donkey Konga Renaissance, and generally a mild reception to most western developed games.

Still glad that the 90s matters to Nintendo now.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Man.... this is gonna be a long 4 months, I and a few others got a little tease of Ridley at CEO and at other events but I’m still starving to play him more combined with the fact NONE of us are going to be able to play K. Rool until the 7th of December. This day cannot come sooner.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's been two days and it's still just barely started to register that K. Rool is back. After a 10-year hiatus, I think it's going to take a while before his return truly sinks in, with him getting brought up in new interviews, getting more facetime in future footage and the like. Here's my immediate reaction:

In a word, that trailer was euphoric. I had heard fourth-hand information that a "Steve Mayles character" might get shown Wednesday, but the Castlevania music leak and BS lupensko laundered through Vergeben about "no DK newcomers" made me skeptical. I wore my "King of Krem" t-shirt as a good luck charm and tuned in anyway. Was content with the Direct and prepared to spend the next few months arguing that DK's first assist trophy being an "irrelevant" Klaptrap boded well, and then...what was that? I thought I had imagined the first rumble, but from the second, I had a good feeling...what newcomer but Rool, the one people are theorizing could be the new heaviest character period, could be responsible? Then I saw the villains montage and the dam burst. I am fully aware how silly it is in the grand scheme of things to get so emotional over an obese fictional crocodile, but in this context it's more than that...it's the understanding that a band of committed fans, including many I would consider longtime friends, finally won the day. We all came together in the first place over two favorite series, Smash and DK, and stayed together over the years because of our desire to steer its trajectory in a certain direction, with K. Rool specifically and in terms of answering fan desires. Years and years of seemingly going unheard, being told repeatedly we wouldn't matter even if we were heard on account of being a small sliver of the customer base, with a side helping of criticism for everything from liking an "ugly Rare character" to being delusional over character chances, and agonizing over whether minor, minor details could maybe mean good things...all over for Rool fans with a two-minute trailer.

K. Rool was a pivotal part of my first exposure to gaming, in that I watched a cousin play his DKC1 boss fight, and memorably succumb to his iconic fakeout, in 1999, when I was a young kid. I then became a DK superfan in 2003 when the first GBA port came out, and I quickly became infatuated with everything about the Country series...the hybrid between natural environments and cartoony characters, the music, the challenge, the whole shebang. I couldn't begin to count how many times I played and replayed those games to completion. The Kremlings and Rool quickly became favorite series staples of mine, as I came to look forward to what new appearance they'd take on in each sequel and what new way they'd escalate their conflict against the Kongs. Later on, in 2005, I got my first exposure to Smash through Melee at a friend's house.

Becoming a Smash fan was a slower burn...I liked the concept of Nintendo characters squaring off, but even back then was wondering why you could play as Mario, Luigi and Bowser, but Diddy and K. Rool weren't there to fight with or against DK (this was before series representation or the Rare buyout were on my radar). It was randomly going onto Mario Wiki in August 2007 and learning that Diddy had made Brawl when I started really getting into Smash, and started hoping for K. Rool. Between 2007 and 2012, my like for the character developed into a bonafide fandom...of note, I made multiple full movesets for K. Rool, including for each of his individual personas, through the Make Your Move competitions, and watched the full cartoon series. I lobbied for the character in general Smash speculation threads on account of what he could contribute to the series, and a sense he deserved his place there, and became a loud critic of the decision to have "no crocodiles" in Returns and Nintendo/Retro's questioning of "whether he really needed to be there." So when 2012 rolled around, and the Smash Wii U character forum opened up, I quickly pounced on making the K. Rool thread. The original title was "K. Rool's Kountry Klub," but it became "Kremling Kutthroats" in part because people thought version one sounded a bit too Brothers Bear-esque, and in part because I wanted to reflect the fans' connection to the character. The Kremling Kutthroats were Rool's army in beloved DKC2, and likewise, an army of fans was going to be necessary to persuade Nintendo, Retro, and Sakurai to return the character to prominence.

And they did! I mentioned it in my brief first impression, but K. Rool wouldn't have a glimmer of a chance at coming back if the fans didn't speak up. The fanbase got somewhat of a reputation for obnoxiousness over it, but had there been less visibly vocal support, we wouldn't be where we are today. The ballot was an opportunity served to us on a silver platter, and we truly seized the opportunity. Through the grapevine, I've heard that K. Rool was 100% a ballot inclusion, and that a recent theory of mine, that Nintendo and Sakurai weren't aware of the character's popularity to that point, was indeed true. But not anymore. And, per the same source of information, the dearth of K. Rool appearances is going to change. I've given Sakurai a ton of crap over the years, and I intend to write a separate post in the "I was wrong" thread walking back the bulk of it. A few others and I also are working on getting a heartful thank-you card written, translated, illustrated and sent to Sakurai, both via Twitter and physical mail. He did us and our series so right, and it's only right that we let him know it.

I'll write more later delving into just how faithful K. Rool looks so far, and gushing over the new direction they're taking his characterization. But for now, I'm ready to just bask and enjoy following the lead-up to the game with no anxiety at all. There are still characters I intend to passively support - namely Dixie, who I think has a great chance at being a Chrom-style echo, taking her fans' suggestion to use Diddy's side and neutral specials, plus DK's up and down specials - but K. Rool is such a labor of love that I don't think anything new could truly disappoint me anymore.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If the King's in inclusion is paving the way for Kremlings coming back to DKC I kinda want her and the rest of the guys from Barrel Blast to be expanded upon https://www.mariowiki.com/Kalypso
Yeah, it'd be a shame to see them being left in that exhausting game. I could see Kalypso being a groupie or something, haha. Although being the series' "that one female grunt among a bunch of dudes" would be good too. Those particular Krems are some genuinely good new things Paon did.

Just popping in to say congrats lads, you did it! Thanks for getting K. Rool in. He’d be as dead as Wart were it not for you.

Croc fact of the year:
Saltwater crocodiles have occasionally been sighted swimming as far north as the Sea of Japan. Of course, that’s only in the summer, otherwise they’d get too cold to swim and drown.
Incidentally, this piece of art is ironic in retrospect:

https://www.deviantart.com/the-nostalgia-runs/art/Million-ways-to-be-K-Rool-188924537

I guess only time will tell, but I'm hoping K. Rool means the DK series can get the Castlevania treatment and get some banger tracks. Boss Bossanova, Crocodile Cacophony, Mining Melancholy, Krook's March, Jib Jig, Primal Rave, Klomp's Romp, Lockjaw's Saga (A personal favorite of mine!), Snakey Chanty, Bad Bird Rag, Flight of the Zinger, Hot Head Bop, Forest Interlude, Baron K Roolenstein's theme, if I had it my way, all of these tracks and more would get either direct ports into the game, or remixes. Here's hoping we get a few bangers this time!

*EDIT* And no offense to Brawl, but how about an actually good recreation of Stickerbush Symphony this time? Also, I'll have to brush up on the DKC3 tracks to see which ones I really like. Only played DKC3 once and I don't remember the standout tracks. I'm listening to Rockface Rumble right now. I would add that to Ultimate.

*EDIT NUMERO DOS* I can't believe I forgot about Fear Factory! And I call myself a DK fan?!?
There is also Big Boss Blues, that one is ripe for a modern remix.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It's been two days and it's still just barely started to register that K. Rool is back. After a 10-year hiatus, I think it's going to take a while before his return truly sinks in, with him getting brought up in new interviews, getting more facetime in future footage and the like. Here's my immediate reaction:

In a word, that trailer was euphoric. I had heard fourth-hand information that a "Steve Mayles character" might get shown Wednesday, but the Castlevania music leak and BS lupensko laundered through Vergeben about "no DK newcomers" made me skeptical. I wore my "King of Krem" t-shirt as a good luck charm and tuned in anyway. Was content with the Direct and prepared to spend the next few months arguing that DK's first assist trophy being an "irrelevant" Klaptrap boded well, and then...what was that? I thought I had imagined the first rumble, but from the second, I had a good feeling...what newcomer but Rool, the one people are theorizing could be the new heaviest character period, could be responsible? Then I saw the villains montage and the dam burst. I am fully aware how silly it is in the grand scheme of things to get so emotional over an obese fictional crocodile, but in this context it's more than that...it's the understanding that a band of committed fans, including many I would consider longtime friends, finally won the day. We all came together in the first place over two favorite series, Smash and DK, and stayed together over the years because of our desire to steer its trajectory in a certain direction, with K. Rool specifically and in terms of answering fan desires. Years and years of seemingly going unheard, being told repeatedly we wouldn't matter even if we were heard on account of being a small sliver of the customer base, with a side helping of criticism for everything from liking an "ugly Rare character" to being delusional over character chances, and agonizing over whether minor, minor details could maybe mean good things...all over for Rool fans with a two-minute trailer.

K. Rool was a pivotal part of my first exposure to gaming, in that I watched a cousin play his DKC1 boss fight, and memorably succumb to his iconic fakeout, in 1999, when I was a young kid. I then became a DK superfan in 2003 when the first GBA port came out, and I quickly became infatuated with everything about the Country series...the hybrid between natural environments and cartoony characters, the music, the challenge, the whole shebang. I couldn't begin to count how many times I played and replayed those games to completion. The Kremlings and Rool quickly became favorite series staples of mine, as I came to look forward to what new appearance they'd take on in each sequel and what new way they'd escalate their conflict against the Kongs. Later on, in 2005, I got my first exposure to Smash through Melee at a friend's house.

Becoming a Smash fan was a slower burn...I liked the concept of Nintendo characters squaring off, but even back then was wondering why you could play as Mario, Luigi and Bowser, but Diddy and K. Rool weren't there to fight with or against DK (this was before series representation or the Rare buyout were on my radar). It was randomly going onto Mario Wiki in August 2007 and learning that Diddy had made Brawl when I started really getting into Smash, and started hoping for K. Rool. Between 2007 and 2012, my like for the character developed into a bonafide fandom...of note, I made multiple full movesets for K. Rool, including for each of his individual personas, through the Make Your Move competitions, and watched the full cartoon series. I lobbied for the character in general Smash speculation threads on account of what he could contribute to the series, and a sense he deserved his place there, and became a loud critic of the decision to have "no crocodiles" in Returns and Nintendo/Retro's questioning of "whether he really needed to be there." So when 2012 rolled around, and the Smash Wii U character forum opened up, I quickly pounced on making the K. Rool thread. The original title was "K. Rool's Kountry Klub," but it became "Kremling Kutthroats" in part because people thought version one sounded a bit too Brothers Bear-esque, and in part because I wanted to reflect the fans' connection to the character. The Kremling Kutthroats were Rool's army in beloved DKC2, and likewise, an army of fans was going to be necessary to persuade Nintendo, Retro, and Sakurai to return the character to prominence.

And they did! I mentioned it in my brief first impression, but K. Rool wouldn't have a glimmer of a chance at coming back if the fans didn't speak up. The fanbase got somewhat of a reputation for obnoxiousness over it, but had there been less visibly vocal support, we wouldn't be where we are today. The ballot was an opportunity served to us on a silver platter, and we truly seized the opportunity. Through the grapevine, I've heard that K. Rool was 100% a ballot inclusion, and that a recent theory of mine, that Nintendo and Sakurai weren't aware of the character's popularity to that point, was indeed true. But not anymore. And, per the same source of information, the dearth of K. Rool appearances is going to change. I've given Sakurai a ton of crap over the years, and I intend to write a separate post in the "I was wrong" thread walking back the bulk of it. A few others and I also are working on getting a heartful thank-you card written, translated, illustrated and sent to Sakurai, both via Twitter and physical mail. He did us and our series so right, and it's only right that we let him know it.

I'll write more later delving into just how faithful K. Rool looks so far, and gushing over the new direction they're taking his characterization. But for now, I'm ready to just bask and enjoy following the lead-up to the game with no anxiety at all. There are still characters I intend to passively support - namely Dixie, who I think has a great chance at being a Chrom-style echo, taking her fans' suggestion to use Diddy's side and neutral specials, plus DK's up and down specials - but K. Rool is such a labor of love that I don't think anything new could truly disappoint me anymore.

You've honestly done a wonderful job of keeping us together and sticking through for these last 10+ years or so (however long it was), so I honestly think you deserved this reveal of K. Rool because of that.

Your reaction was amazing, by the way, especially because it didn't seem like the fake-out by Dedede fooled you: if anything, you were just waiting for K. Rool to show up to Forward/Side Smash Dedede out of the way (which he did). Ultimately, your hard work has payed off, and now everyone, especially you, can enjoy K. Rool in all of his glory as he forever immortalized into Smash history. :)

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

That was beautiful I was hoping you'd give a speech. Its been a long road and I'm glad that it wasn't all for nothing. Both reptiles despite the odds were recognized and saluted. I await more posts from you on the matter. And I do hope moving forward that the king as well as his Kourt are given more representation in their home games and perhaps even in smash.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
BKupa666 BKupa666 Thank you, my friend. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing us all together for this cause. We owe you a big, fat thank you. To Sakurai too. BTW I LOVED your reaction vid ;)

It shows that anything is possible when we stick together.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The King has spoken!

Thank You so much BKupa666 BKupa666 for everything!
You have been an amazing leader, and I've wanted K. Rool myself since post-Melee, and the fight really started to burn within me since Brawl.
You have been there since then, you have kept the motivation going, you have made us never doubt our voice!
Countered every detractors, great views to counter, and really did the fight tolerable.

Thank you my friend, Thank you so much, Kaptain.

Untouch

Smash Master
I feel like K Rool is the first actual heavyweight that's more of a tank than anything. All of the other heavyweights in the game deal a lot of damage but cannot deal with characters that get into attack them. K Rool seems like the first heavyweight that actually has options to deal with this so far. Snake is the only one that comes close honestly.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, I do think K. Rool is a tank. He's got super armor, he's got his belly counter to knock attacks back, and he can fire a cannonball, quickly following up by sucking foes in at close range. His krown toss doesn't seem that viable normally, but it could be useful when foes are off stage or running towards him.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I've mostly been talking about this in all the chats I've been and been super excited with my friends, but I need to post here to close everything up. K. Rool's reveal has been nothing short of a miracle. While I had thought he had a good chance going in with the ballot, I was constantly doubting it in the back of my mind with all of the contrarian posters, and was so used to being dragged through the mud. 24 hours before the direct, I thought K. Rool had a decent shot of being shown, but 12 hours before it with the Simon leak, I had zero expectations of him being shown. That just made it all the sweeter, it was the perfect end to K. Rool's fantastic journey of a campaign. In a way, it's almost like the real playable K. Rool was the experience of getting here. It's a 10 year chapter of my life I almost regret having to close!

But no, that trailer was absolutely fantastic. I couldn't have asked for anything better for K. Rool, no way, no how. He was treated far better than I imagined with a moveset filled to the brim with fanservice and references, and was given an excellent redesign that's better than anything he's ever had to boot! The bit with Dedede was nothing short of hysterical, as it referenced the Mii Costume, with Dedede, who is voiced by Sakurai, being the one who donned the K. Rool mask. I was already saying this game was a lot better than Smash 4 with Ridley, Wolf, Snake, and Ivysaur, but K. Rool? Smash is complete for me now. I've got what I wanted. I'll still follow Smash speculation, but everything is really different now. There's no more constantly comparing every single newcomer to K. Rool and Ridley as the bar. I can enjoy the other newcomers that come for what they are now. I'll root for the other characters I like, sure, but it's more of a spectator sport at this point.

Ridley was obviously put in due to fan demand, but K. Rool seems to have been put in for the ballot and no other reason. All of that emphasis Sakurai put on him being a heavyweight villain with the earthshaking and the villains lead in, along with him using all of the fan proposed special moves and Final Smash, just proves that. The ballot had a lot of unknown variables in it that makes it sketchy Nintendo will ever directly reference it again, but for all intents and purposes, K. Rool is the winner of the ballot in my mind now. Sakurai was already aware of Ridley before the ballot, but he has still yet to mention K. Rool by name once, so that's where we had to tell him about our beloved villain. Having that sweet vindication that the Mii costume for an otherwise irrelevant villain was in fact a signal from Sakurai that he heard us on the ballot is just amazing.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I was in the Smash 4 thread years ago as a supporter. My Smash 4 self has finally been vindicated. I'm walking back in for a congratulations to all of you krazy supporters. It's been said a million times, but we couldn't have done it without all of your help. The irrelevant is relevant once more.

Edit: It looks like this old thing may get left behind. Should it live on? As a signal for when a new K. Rool main arrives?

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Edit: It looks like this old thing may get left behind. Should it live on? As a signal for when a new K. Rool main arrives?
You know, I was thinking about that. The DKC carton songs, that is. Do you think there's any chance some of those songs could see the light of day in Smash? I imagine some people at Nintendo have to be privy to our memes here. Sure, most of the songs are campy and ridiculous, but how awesome would it be to get a remix of Finest Hour or One Of Us to truly make it fight music worthy of our King?

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I mean it when I say we couldn’t have done it without you, BKupa666 BKupa666 .

Your efforts to spread the good name of K. Rool, your passion for his revival, and your strength in the moments of defeat is what kept us all together, and what kept us pushing throughout the Ballot Era and up to this week.

We all chipped in to save K. Rool, and in the end, we got our wish. But you, above all, deserve the credit in getting our obese lizard out of the trash and into the Smash roster. Thanks for being our kutthroat kaptain! :dkmelee:

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I'm going to guess that you guys want to see another reaction video after BKupa's? I also happened to be reacting to the Direct when K. Rool was announced, so... :p

Take a look at this if you want to hear me scream in joy and glee:

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
I think re purposing it to welcome new K. Rool mains is a great idea. It can be the on the main page of the "K. Rool Main Advice Thread" or something. That song is such an iconic tradition for this thread (and previous ones) it'd be a shame to let it die. It actually does works great for new K. Rool mains/kutthroats besides keeping the tradition alive just for the sake of it..

To remix the cartoon:

DK: I'm looking for a (new) main and that main is Donkey Kong
K. Rool: No you're not.
DK: I'm...what?
K. Rool: No, your main is K. Rool

"Cue remixed lyrics referring to K. Rool's moveset and competitive advantages"

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
So guys, time for the big question... will K. Rool's Blunderbuss be able to fire off the spiked version of his kannonball and the colored gases that do different effects or do you think he'll only be able to fire off a kannonball and that's it?
I think he'll only be able to fire off a cannonball, but the other projectiles are certainly possible. Various characters and items already cause freeze effects, so the blue gas is possible, and the Rambling Mushroom thing already reverses controls, so the pink (red?) gas is possible. I don't think we've seen spiked cannonballs yet, but DeDeDe uses Gordos, so it could be funny if occasionally the blunderbuss launched a Gordo instead of a kannonball. Similarly, the blunderbuss could occasionally launch a barrel (or other items), just like Peach occasionally pulls up a Bob-omb or a Mr. Saturn instead of a turnip. Again, though, these are only possibilities; I can't say I really expect any of them.

It can't be anything besides "King Krusha K. Rool"
Only other possible option is if they extend it to "King Krushaaaa K. Rool" like when the microphone first announces his name.

I'm quite frankly surprised that's not how they chose to show off that mode.
They couldn't have done that because it would have revealed K. Rool early, and that would have dealt a major blow to reaction videos everywhere. ;)

Do you guys believe Dixie still have a chance? It feels kinda weird to let her out of the party now that we have Donkey, Diddy and K. Rool.
Honestly I think she's got an even better chance after the Direct, but - for better or for worse - I think the most likely outcome is that she'll be a modified Echo of Diddy.

:link:

Anyone else legitimately watch the K. Rool trailer at least 100 times already?

. . . Just me?
Including reaction videos, I've easily watched it more than 300 times at this point. (It may be closer to 400 or 500.) It is most assuredly not just you. :chuckle:

I figured the eye-popping was based on how they reacted to bosses, but it turns out that it wasn't added until Donkey Kong Country 2.
Does it matter that they didn't add the eye-popping boss reactions until DKC2? I think you're still right that the eye pop in the trailer was a reference to the boss reactions.

BKupa666 BKupa666 , you started crying at exactly the same time I did, but apparently you held it together better than I did, as evidenced by your ability to form words other than "WE GOT HIM WE GOT HIM WE GOT HIM." :cry: Anyway, I only joined Smashboards after E3 in June, but in the two months I've been here, it's been a pleasure and an honor to sail under your banner; you've made Us a group that I'm proud to be One of. :)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, I posted mine in the discord, but I never posted here until now:

That's a great reaction Yellowlord!

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
BKupa666 BKupa666 Others have said it, but I truly thank you for what you've done for this character and his fans. With the possible exception of Ridley, K. Rool feels like the first character that truly got in exclusively due to the support of their fans. In addition to my own hopes and desires, it was also a really a heartwarming and cathartic thought to think of every other one of his supporters, in this thread or otherwise, having similar reactions and losing their collective ****. We brought a character back to the limelight, and in the best way possible. Now that I've been through it myself, I now plan on getting really hype for pretty much any character, even ones I don't support, just because I now have an idea of how much that character reveal might mean to their fans and supporters.

Seeing you guys makes me wish I recorded my reaction as well. Still, I'll never forget that gasp I made when we saw DK's yawn after all those villains, and I don't think I'll ever be able to replicate that sound again, haha.

hinode

Smash Cadet
It is kinda neat that 90s nostalgia is finally being acknowledged by Nintendo. Also, I know DKC was never a big deal in Japan so everything about this is a bit of a shift.
Some Japanese sales numbers for the DKC games, from http://www.the-magicbox.com/Chart-JPPlatinum.shtml:

Super Donkey Kong 3.00
Super Donkey Kong 2 2.21
Super Donkey Kong 3 1.77
Donkey Kong 64 1.10
Donkey Kong Country Returns 1.03 (Not relevant to K. Rool, but it shows that people in Japan still care about the series)

(All numbers in millions, in case it isn't obvious)

Hopefully this helps explain why K. Rool has always done well on Japanese polls like Source Gaming's.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR

I cried too bro..it was amazing. If it wasn't for you, your organization, your hard work and effort.. we wouldn't have this moment..I wouldn't have my favorite villain.. thanks BKupa666 BKupa666 your greatest of us all

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
BKupa666 BKupa666 Everyone has said it well, but over the past decade you've done a lot of work for K. Rool and the fanbase. I remember the Smash 4 K. Rool support thread was one of best on the site and had a wealth of information on who the kharacter is and why we wanted him so badly. I have no doubt that K. Rool was included in Ultimate because of our kollective effort as fans to let Sakurai and Nintendo know how important and special K. Rool is to us. We only have a few short months until we can all play as our favorite Kremling King.

We did it. Our king, our kaptain, our kremling has returned. May he have many long years ahead!

Also, sending a thank-you card to Sakurai is a genius idea. The man works hard, and after all the love and references in K. Rool's reveal, he deserves a big thank you from us.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
A few others and I also are working on getting a heartful thank-you card written, translated, illustrated and sent to Sakurai, both via Twitter and physical mail. He did us and our series so right, and it's only right that we let him know it.
This is a wonderful idea. Absolutely heartfelt and wonderful. If I could be a part of it in any way, I would. In a heartbeat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Stopping in, I’ll post when I can. Glad to hear from you keep us updated, on the thank you card, I want to tell this amazing man. Thanks in any way I can. For King K. Rool and the games in general!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom