• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I quickly browsed over through the forum and I didn’t see it posted, but did anyone else see Sakurai’s tweet about having his eyes appear “a little red” during the upcoming Direct? Is he possibly hinting at K. Rool because we all know he has a red eye?!

BTW, long time lurker & K. Rool supporter. I truly hope he’s confirmed during this direct!

Welcome to the krew!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai is stressed out and probably smokes a lot of weed right now :smirk:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Banking on Ashley, especially with WarioW Gold so near. Hope to see K.Rool in sooner than later though..

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Banking on Ashley, especially with WarioW Gold so near. Hope to see K.Rool in sooner than later though..
Doubt. It's already been out for a week and it's only a 3ds game. Also I don't think Ashley is hype enough, particularly to casual audiences.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Random question, where was it stated that the roster was finalized in 2015/2016?
Probably an estimation from someone, and with the herd mentality, this gets accepted as a "fact". I think it has to do with the fact a 'Smash 5' or even 6 project was started up around that time, and since the Smash 4 roster was also finalised a couple year before the release (outside of DLC of course), it's a pretty "safe" estimation. Yet Ultimate doesn't seem to follow any sort of pattern of previous Smash titles, so I personally think it's a load of bull.

StormC

Smash Hero
Doubt. It's already been out for a week and it's only a 3ds game. Also I don't think Ashley is hype enough, particularly to casual audiences.
Rosalina came out a month after 3D World.

Ashley wouldn’t be less hype than Wii Fit Trainer or Robin or something. She has a sizable fanbase, especially in Japan.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
i just think that sakurai will get red eye and he saw that and he dont loook healty on the upcoming direct and thats it. no hint or any thing..the only thing is that the direct is "manageable time for Japanese viewers, so please watch! " ....its a popular Japan character for sure

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I have nothing against Loyd ( however you spell it ). He was always pretty cool in smash flash but i'm glad its proven fake. Now I can be excited for this new direct! They have to show us something good! Be prepared my kremling brothers!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah. Calm down friend.

And, actually, we have heard potential Rumblings for K. Rool, indirectly. The loz person from gamefaqs, who also predicted the early Aug direct, mentioned a potential heroes vs villains theme. Has anyone followed up on this? I think this person is real given what he knew about the E3 direct.
So far, the only real follow-up he's given is that he mentioned that it may be connected to a story mode of some sort:

As of today, I don’t know anything new besides what I already said about newcomer(s) revealed and that there is some kind of progression or story of some sort like I mentioned with the Heroes vs. Villains theme.

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
I would just like to remind you all that Smash Bros character announcements (Both Newcomers and veterans) usually don't revolve around current events concerning new games coming out (With one or two Exceptions)!

You want to know how I know! Just look at the E3 direct in which we all saw Ridley revealed! At no point during Nintendo's E3 Direct or prior to the direct did we hear an announcement for a New Metroid title, get a new Metroid game released to the public, or see a new trailer for A New Metroid game that showed off Ridley (Hell, If Smash reveals did revolve around current events, we would have also see a new Fire Emblem newcomer or a Xenoblade newcomer after we were shown those two E3 trailer)!

So in a sense! This might not be a reveal for Ashley!

But then again! I would also like to remind everyone that Sakurai is a massive troll and that their's a possibility he might throw in something else we weren't expecting that's not either Ashley or K. Rool (Kind of like how he fooled us into believing that Greninja was a reveal for Mewtwo in one Smash Direct for Smash 4)!

I don't to flat out confirm or deny anything at this point! But I will just say let's wait and see what the Mr. S and the Big N have in store for us on Wednseday!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
To the people saying that this Direct might be our out-of-left-field rep as opposed to a fan favorite like K. Rool, I say

why not both.jpg

I'm reminded of the E3 where we got a popular pick, a hype third party, AND an out of left field newcomer. As well as the multiple directs where we got two character reveals. While we can only speculate, consider that there's no reason to assume we won't get K. Rool and Shaquille O'Neal or whatever weird pick Sakurai has in mind (Just keep expectations tempered and remind yourself we have no reason to assume we will get two characters, or even K. Rool, in this Direct either.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Keeping expectectations in check. Masahiro Sakurai please take, a break when this game is finished. You've earned it.

Hoping for: King K. Rool

Expecting: Isabelle, Heihachi, or Incineroar or Tapu Koko.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
So... here's a thought.. this Loz18 fella is clearly somewhat in the know. He mentioned that heroes vs villain's theme.. didnt that old imgur leak mention that them aswell? I may be mistaken maybe it was a seperate leak that came out around the same time but I could have sworn it was the imgur one. Either way.. yes that leak has been considered fake considering it had no Daisy plus the whole Sora part but... maybe the leaker really did have some info. Maybe they saw or was read an older design document and listed the characters off it. A heroes vs villain's theme is awfully specific... and while it could be false all around this Loz guy is building some good credit with the info he's sharing that is actually happening. Maybe that imgur leaker had the same informant but some of the info was wrong or dated.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I quickly browsed over through the forum and I didn’t see it posted, but did anyone else see Sakurai’s tweet about having his eyes appear “a little red” during the upcoming Direct? Is he possibly hinting at K. Rool because we all know he has a red eye?!

BTW, long time lurker & K. Rool supporter. I truly hope he’s confirmed during this direct!
It could refer to Ashley, who does have red eyes sometimes. Or K Rool's bloodshot eye. Probably one of the two.

Or it could be Sakurai saying that he's tired and it doesn't mean anything.

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
Hello Kremling Krew, just wanted to drop in and say I am back ready to resupport our King. It’s been a few years but surely this will finally be our moment to shine. Even if the upcoming direct doesn’t have the King, it won’t mean anything.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
My uncle Larry, janitor at Sakurai's house, told me K. Rool is a boss in a Gang-Plank Galleon stage.
This direct's newcomer is Alolan Meowth.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
If Sakurai is hinting at either Ashley or K. Rool, I‘ll be fine with either one of them.

These are going to be some hype days...

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Random question, where was it stated that the roster was finalized in 2015/2016?
Probably an estimation from someone, and with the herd mentality, this gets accepted as a "fact". I think it has to do with the fact a 'Smash 5' or even 6 project was started up around that time, and since the Smash 4 roster was also finalised a couple year before the release (outside of DLC of course), it's a pretty "safe" estimation. Yet Ultimate doesn't seem to follow any sort of pattern of previous Smash titles, so I personally think it's a load of bull.
IIRC Sakurai stated during some interview or column that the project plan was finished in late 2015. Our knowledge of previous Smash games shows that the roster is by and large decided on very early in development. Sure, it might be different for this one, but I still don't see anyone from, say, Xenoblade 2 or ARMS being very plausible in the time allotted.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
If they don’t leak either Banjo or K Rool and haven’t been scientifically tested in a controlled environment with 100% positive results, then I don’t care

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
So, the Smash Bros. Ultimate website says 66 fighters in the game on the About section of the website, while the Fighters section still lists Ridley as number 65.

Only one new character reveal confirmed for Wednesday?

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'm only expecting one newcomer and maybe one echo revealed in this direct.

Either Ashley/Simon or the echo could be Isabelle.

I don't think we'll see K. Rool announced this month.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
So, the Smash Bros. Ultimate website says 66 fighters in the game on the About section of the website, while the Fighters section still lists Ridley as number 65.

Only one new character reveal confirmed for Wednesday?
Nah it's been like that since the beginning, and the fine print on that page says that it's counting Pokemon Trainer as one character, and counting the Echos individually. Since Ridley is #65, if we subtract Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard, that leaves us with 62. Add in the three Echos plus the Pokemon Trainer as one, and you get 66. Not entirely sure why they decided to count them that way for that page, but yeah, that number on the About page doesn't really mean anything right now.

Though I'm expecting only one new character on Wednesday anyway. Though two new characters would be awesome.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Nah it's been like that since the beginning, and the fine print on that page says that it's counting Pokemon Trainer as one character, and counting the Echos individually. Since Ridley is #65, if we subtract Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard, that leaves us with 62. Add in the three Echos plus the Pokemon Trainer as one, and you get 66. Not entirely sure why they decided to count them that way for that page, but yeah, that number on the About page doesn't really mean anything right now.

Though I'm expecting only one new character on Wednesday anyway. Though two new characters would be awesome.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

CaPtAiNInSaN0

Smash Rookie
I really hope that with the coming direct, our king can finally be revealed to the world as a playable fighter. Only two days to wait and see!

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I could see why Ashley would be a fighter and probably deserves it to some extent, but idk if she quite meets the expectations of a "jaw-dropping hype newcomer" to launch the game imo. Going from "RIDLEY / EVERYONE IS HERE" to... ashley, sounds underwhelming. If K.Rool doesn't show up wednesday there's plenty of time either way.

Last edited:

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Yeah! No, I knew what I was thinking but I didn't know how to say it the way you just explained.

After Ridley, nobody is fabulous enough to follow it up except for our boy.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
eyestrain.jpg

The kanji used in Sakurai's tweet translates closer to eye strain than red eyes. Makes me think more K Rool than Ashley.

Last edited:

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I could see why Ashley would be a fighter and probably deserves it to some extent, but idk if she quite meets the expectations of a "jaw-dropping hype newcomer" to launch the game imo. Going from "RIDLEY / EVERYONE IS HERE" to... ashley, sounds underwhelming.
Makes sense to me, honestly. I doubt the next reveal will be the last one before release, so it matters not whether they're a "jaw-dropper" character like K. Rool. In fact, it'd be better not to go with one because then it's like; how are you going to follow up on that?

Ashley, meanwhile, is a character whose popularity in Japan to my knowledge is comparable to Little Mac over here, and is at least existent over in the US. To me, she actually seems like a good way to give the Japanese audience someone to get hyped for after the relative obscure choice of Ridley, and for the Western audience to wind down a bit after Ridley while still having a cool new character.
View attachment 155883

The kanji used in Sakurai's tweet translates closer to eye strain than red eyes. Makes me think more K Rool than Ashley.
In all seriousness, we really shouldn't be trying to read that deeply into Sakurai saying "man I'm tired".
He is either laughing at us or shaking his head at us, right now.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Makes sense to me, honestly. I doubt the next reveal will be the last one before release, so it matters not whether they're a "jaw-dropper" character like K. Rool. In fact, it'd be better not to go with one because then it's like; how are you going to follow up on that?
You follow up K. Rool with Geno. It's pretty simple.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
While I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much for a King K. Rool reveal this Wednesday, it's getting increasingly difficult to.

I mean, we have to definitely be looking way too much into Sakurai's little comment? We've done this before with basically all of Smash 4's speculation and every little detail that we thought might point to King K Rool being playable... I don't really want to do that again. The whole tweet is fairly out of character for Sakurai though right? Teasing a newcomer would be even more out of character... so it's just that it's late at night and he's being cheeky....

That's what I'm telling myself for now at least. The Ashley thread has hit basically critical mass at this point, so if this little comment has any weight to it, one of us will likely be disappointed come Wednesday (Unless he just outright reveals both... in which case. Hell yeah)

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Brb, gettin a degree in Japanese linguistics.

Whaaaaaat? Guys did you see that Tekken fighter reveal? Im so hyped for Wednesday. Also we need Negan in Smash now. Sure it would be like Jeffrey Dahmer in a ball pit but still...

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
As much as I want K Rool and Dixie in Smash, I don't think this is the time for them just yet. I bet Nintendo wants to save them for last to get people really excited. I think for this trailer, we might get a low key character or one that many people aren't expecting like Ashley, and maybe a third party character as well since one wasn't revealed at E3.

It's too soon after Ridley to announce K Rool and I have a feeling that he'll be revealed around the same time frame that Duck Hunt was for Smash 4, assuming he's in the base roster. I could also just as easily see him as a DLC character.

And remember, treat all "leaks" as fake no matter how much you want them to be true, especially anonymous text leaks. Anybody can make those.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
As much as I want K Rool and Dixie in Smash, I don't think this is the time for them just yet. I bet Nintendo wants to save them for last to get people really excited. I think for this trailer, we might get a low key character or one that many people aren't expecting like Ashley, and maybe a third party character as well since one wasn't revealed at E3.

It's too soon after Ridley to announce K Rool and I have a feeling that he'll be revealed around the same time frame that Duck Hunt was for Smash 4, assuming he's in the base roster. I could also just as easily see him as a DLC character.

And remember, treat all "leaks" as fake no matter how much you want them to be true, especially anonymous text leaks. Anybody can make those.
Yeah, I don’t know if I see them throwing down the King just yet. They know how popular he is worldwide, so I don’t know if they’d want to play that card yet, especially not right after Ridley.

Then again, I didn’t see every vet returning. Or Daisy. Or a Smash Direct this week. Sakurai’s already throwing curveballs.

I’m expecting Ashley and Isabelle for this one. Beyond them, I’m excited to see more stages, modes, etc. Still, if they announced the Kroc (or made the impossible happen and gave me Dragonborn...) I would be so hyped.

At least we’ll get another half hour worth of answers.

Draugen

Smash Apprentice
I'm betting on my own theory that I stated here before: if the game will have Heroes vs Villains theme, there will be some kind of story mode to unlock the characters in the roster (not the original 8, the heroes). Then we could see K. Rool announced on this direct.
And like others have said here, if they want to appeal to japanese fans, K. Rool is one of the ideal newcomers.

Top Bottom