• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
And as to why K Rool isnt in Smash at this point. Your guess is as good as mine. Bias..underestimation..or maybe just cold shoulder or lack of creativity (which is hard to believe..with Wii Fit Trainer being a character) No way to know, but I'd hope its not a bad reason.
Yo guys I just realized something!

Ridley is a pirate, and it took forever for him to get in

King K Rool is known for his pirate theming

Nintendo has a policy against piracy

I think you know the real reason he hasn’t been put in yet

No, but seriously, I can see King K get in at some point. You guys argue well. At this point I’m just arguing because I like marketing picks and modern characters. I don’t think people should get up and arms about those characters though, as they do bring in some interesting tools, and I do believe that some franchises benefit off it. I hope for a balanced Smash game, one that provides for both sides.

Also I hope my joke doesn’t start a new “too big” argument.

I might lurk around here for a while though, but you guys have my support and have for a while. See you guys.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I'd like to show a 3D model I made of His Majesty. :) Textures / Normal maps are WIP. ^_^

Rendered in a basic Unity scene.

Yes, he has a tail. It's just hidden here by his mighty girth.

Screenshot (46).png

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I can’t believe this community has a bad reputation. You guys are pretty nice.

To comment, New characters certainly have a chance as we know Sakurai gets insider information on projects that aren’t released yet. 2016 was a slow year because Nintendo was building games for Switch, so many new comers are definetely a possibility. Xenoblade X came out in 2015, so they probably started working on the new game during Smash’s development, so like Greninja, Sakurai could have taken their notes. Same for ARMs as the Mario Kart team developed it and Mario Kart came out in 2014 with DLC ending in early 2015.

Here, how about I do an agree to disagree, somewhat compromise opinion change. I feel new characters should be based on both criteria for the base roster. They are both modern and loved by fans. Ridley is a good example as while, yes, he was a fan pick, he certainly has some relevance today as he was in Samus Returns and will probably be in Prime 4, which was hinted at before Smash’s development during 2015’s Federation Force, so plans had to have already begun. (It’ll probably end up like BOTW with a long production time though, as it was revealed then said to still be in development years later)

I don’t feel my list was unreasonable either, I feel I captured both sides with most; Celica was an older character brought back for a remake. Bandana Dee certainly deserves a spot after becoming a main cast member in the Wii era. Dixie Kong is only a little younger than Krool and holds a big fan base. Impa is definitely beloved, just Hyrule Warriors showed move set potential making her more viable. I would even argue that Captain Toad fits as he’s earned his status and is a way to create a move set for the much requested toad to be playable and Toadette can join. The only real advertisement characters were Spring Man and Rex, but that’s really only two and they can provide some level of uniqueness.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, we should have a mix. If Krool joins then that’s cool, but saying new characters really shouldn’t take up the roster seems counter productive, as I would argue that fans make the roster equally as boring as you guys say a Nintendo marketer would. Without some marketing cool characters like Shulk, Lucario, Wii Fit, every Fire Emblem character, and even the mentioned Ness, Lucas, and Palutena probably wouldn’t have ever made it, and the game would feel weird without those strange marketing characters
Sakurai has *full* control of the roster. Even TPC basically asks him to *pick* a Pokemon, or heavily *implies* one they'd like him to add.

And unfortunately for Rex and Pyra, their designs weren't even finalized until mid 2016. Elma was fresh in everyone's minds. If Sakurai picked a Xenoblade character for the base roster, it's Elma. Full stop.

Arms is a different case, as it's an entirely new franchise. Sakurai could, as he has in the past, not trust it on its own two legs yet to just add it, but again, it probably missed the boat.

Shulk, Lucario, Wii Fit, every Fire Emblem character
OK, c'mon. Shulk is *not* an advertising character. Do you *know* how popular Shulk was in Japan? And regardless, Xenoblade was 4 years old by the time of Smash 4's release. Sakurai likely added Shulk because he saw uniqueness potential and liked the character. We know he's a big Xenoblade fan. You really think the "marketing base" went out to buy an excellent but extremely niche genre game because Shulk was in Smash?

Lucario would definitely have been added. He's the new-gen (at the time) mascot, and was incredibly popular, especially around here. Lucario showing up was no surprise. He was everywhere, and even usurped someone like Mewtwo for a while in the eyes of younger fans who grew up with him.

Wii Fit is not advertisement. Wii Fit U had already been out for ages, and the series is incredibly dead. Sakurai literally picked her because she thought no one would expect it and she was unique. He even said this.

"Every Fire Emblem character" I don't think you're giving Fire Emblem enough credit. It's become very popular (mostly with the Switch's target demographic, 20-30 year olds), and even in the Brawl days, Ike had a very vocal fanbase before he was revealed. Robin and Lucina are huge, Lucina even being so popular IS pushes for her inclusion in basically everything. Corrin, sure, but that's DLC.

I think you're overselling how important "marketing" is to Sakurai. Sakurai takes characters and series people are unfamiliar with, and MAKES them bigger. If K. Rool appears, he's going to be relevant again. Probably cemented back into his series forever. You see it with all sorts of characters in Smash. Especially the Fire Emblem ones.

Celica and Impa are relative nobodies when it comes to fanservice. The "kids" demographic don't play Fire Emblem, especially not a game like SoV. They can make it, but Celica's game was a quickly-made remake Sakurai likely wasn't aware of, as it wasn't even announced until January 2017.

Oh, and about Ridley, no, Ridley was gone. Other M was in 2010, and Samus Returns, like SoV, was a remake made relatively quickly that Sakurai probably didn't know about. It had a mid-late 2017 release date and likely had no impact on Ridley's inclusion.

If this game is about fanservice, cater to the fans. The Smash fans. Kids, and everyone else, don't care nearly as much, and will probably be introduced to stuff they never knew about through Smash and enjoy it. It's kind of what Smash does. I'm certain most of the kids you work with don't know Ridley through Metroid, but have probably seen him in Smash. Playable Ridley will probably garner interest in the series.

Hello! I decided I should finally join in on the Konversation after being a lurker for so long. I really hope King K. Rool gets in this time around, I think he has a pretty good shot at getting in! (Fingers Krossed :chuckle:)I used to have an account on here back during smash 4 speculation days, but of course I forgot my account info! haha
Anyway, after Ridley was de-confirmed during the 50 fact extravaganza, I was heartbroken. My dreams of playing as Samus’ arch nemesis seemed like it would never happen. So I moved on and by the time the ballot was announced I made it my goal to bring back my boy Roy! :love: Haha and then he was leaked...
So I felt content with everyone in the roster, but I felt like something was missing. I noticed that there was a lot of talk surrounding this green Kroc known as King K. Rool.
I was intrigued!
I decided that I wanted to experience King K. Rool myself, so I bought Donkey Kong Country on the Wii U virtual console!
.... and wow now I see the appeal.
King K. Rool’s boss battle was so tough (partly because I’m terrible at video games :facepalm: ) but it left an impression on me. His design, personality, and his theme music are AMAZING :love: I immediately began to support the King, but alas... the Kostume was revealed :sadeyes:
Haha but it was ok. Sakurai outdid himself again. What we got was an amazing game. I knew for sure that if there were to be a future Smash game, King K. Rool would surely get in.
... Now look where we are! :joyful: I’ve been obsessing about this game and now RIDLEY IS IN!!!!! :psycho: I still can’t believe it!
King K. Rool has my full support! He’s the last Kharacter that I want, and you guys deserve to have him in. His absence from the DK series is a shame, but I have faith that he will return! And I believe Super Smash Bros Ultimate will be his debut back into gaming after all this time!

P.S.
sorry for writing a book on my first post and the abundance of emojis :facepalm:

Welcome aboard!! Glad to have you! Here's hoping Ridley and K. Rool can finally get their day together after all this time!

Last edited:

Scorchingwater

Smash Rookie
Sakurai has *full* control of the roster. Even TPC basically asks him to *pick* a Pokemon, or heavily *implies* one they'd like him to add.

And unfortunately for Rex and Pyra, their designs weren't even finalized until mid 2016. Elma was fresh in everyone's minds. If Sakurai picked a Xenoblade character for the base roster, it's Elma. Full stop.

Arms is a different case, as it's an entirely new franchise. Sakurai could, as he has in the past, not trust it on its own two legs yet to just add it, but again, it probably missed the boat.

OK, c'mon. Shulk is *not* an advertising character. Do you *know* how popular Shulk was in Japan? And regardless, Xenoblade was 4 years old by the time of Smash 4's release. Sakurai likely added Shulk because he saw uniqueness potential and liked the character. We know he's a big Xenoblade fan. You really think the "marketing base" went out to buy an excellent but extremely niche genre game because Shulk was in Smash?

Lucario would definitely have been added. He's the new-gen (at the time) mascot, and was incredibly popular, especially around here. Lucario showing up was no surprise. He was everywhere, and even usurped someone like Mewtwo for a while in the eyes of younger fans who grew up with him.

Wii Fit is not advertisement. Wii Fit U had already been out for ages, and the series is incredibly dead. Sakurai literally picked her because she thought no one would expect it and she was unique. He even said this.

"Every Fire Emblem character" I don't think you're giving Fire Emblem enough credit. It's become very popular (mostly with the Switch's target demographic, 20-30 year olds), and even in the Brawl days, Ike had a very vocal fanbase before he was revealed. Robin and Lucina are huge, Lucina even being so popular IS pushes for her inclusion in basically everything. Corrin, sure, but that's DLC.

I think you're overselling how important "marketing" is to Sakurai. Sakurai takes characters and series people are unfamiliar with, and MAKES them bigger. If K. Rool appears, he's going to be relevant again. Probably cemented back into his series forever. You see it with all sorts of characters in Smash. Especially the Fire Emblem ones.

Celica and Impa are relative nobodies when it comes to fanservice. The "kids" demographic don't play Fire Emblem, especially not a game like SoV. They can make it, but Celica's game was a quickly-made remake Sakurai likely wasn't aware of, as it wasn't even announced until January 2017.

Oh, and about Ridley, no, Ridley was gone. Other M was in 2010, and Samus Returns, like SoV, was a remake made relatively quickly that Sakurai probably didn't know about. It had a mid-late 2017 release date and likely had no impact on Ridley's inclusion.

If this game is about fanservice, cater to the fans. The Smash fans. Kids, and everyone else, don't care nearly as much, and will probably be introduced to stuff they never knew about through Smash and enjoy it. It's kind of what Smash does. I'm certain most of the kids you work with don't know Ridley through Metroid, but have probably seen him in Smash. Playable Ridley will probably garner interest in the series.

Welcome aboard!! Glad to have you! Here's hoping Ridley and K. Rool can finally get their day together after all this time!

:rotfl: Yay!!! Haha I’ve always wanted to be inducted with the One of Us song! Haha thank you so much for such a warm welcome :grin: I’m really honored to be here and supporting such a legendary video game character!:bluejump:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Why post fake leaks here if you're just gonna stroke your own egos by talking trash about them? It's getting on my nerves.
People are allowed to criticize stuff all they like. They can't be held accountable for whenever someone like you takes it as a personal attack.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
People are allowed to criticize stuff all they like. They can't be held accountable for whenever someone like you takes it as a personal attack.
Oh excuse me, I thought this was a thread meant for talking about K. Rool's potential inclusion in Smash, not a thread meant for posting obviously fake leaks that don't add to or begin any interesting discussion regarding K. Rool. I'll see myself out then.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I can’t believe this community has a bad reputation. You guys are pretty nice.

To comment, New characters certainly have a chance as we know Sakurai gets insider information on projects that aren’t released yet. 2016 was a slow year because Nintendo was building games for Switch, so many new comers are definetely a possibility. Xenoblade X came out in 2015, so they probably started working on the new game during Smash’s development, so like Greninja, Sakurai could have taken their notes. Same for ARMs as the Mario Kart team developed it and Mario Kart came out in 2014 with DLC ending in early 2015.

Here, how about I do an agree to disagree, somewhat compromise opinion change. I feel new characters should be based on both criteria for the base roster. They are both modern and loved by fans. Ridley is a good example as while, yes, he was a fan pick, he certainly has some relevance today as he was in Samus Returns and will probably be in Prime 4, which was hinted at before Smash’s development during 2015’s Federation Force, so plans had to have already begun. (It’ll probably end up like BOTW with a long production time though, as it was revealed then said to still be in development years later)

I don’t feel my list was unreasonable either, I feel I captured both sides with most; Celica was an older character brought back for a remake. Bandana Dee certainly deserves a spot after becoming a main cast member in the Wii era. Dixie Kong is only a little younger than Krool and holds a big fan base. Impa is definitely beloved, just Hyrule Warriors showed move set potential making her more viable. I would even argue that Captain Toad fits as he’s earned his status and is a way to create a move set for the much requested toad to be playable and Toadette can join. The only real advertisement characters were Spring Man and Rex, but that’s really only two and they can provide some level of uniqueness.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, we should have a mix. If Krool joins then that’s cool, but saying new characters really shouldn’t take up the roster seems counter productive, as I would argue that fans make the roster equally as boring as you guys say a Nintendo marketer would. Without some marketing cool characters like Shulk, Lucario, Wii Fit, every Fire Emblem character, and even the mentioned Ness, Lucas, and Palutena probably wouldn’t have ever made it, and the game would feel weird without those strange marketing characters
We've seen New Donk City and Great Plateau Tower stages in the game already, so we know that newer games have inspired this iteration of Smash.

As people have said though, the roster proposal was finalized in December, 2015, so most of the content in the game will be from before then, or projects for the near future.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Oh excuse me, I thought this was a thread meant for talking about K. Rool's potential inclusion in Smash, not a thread meant for posting obviously fake leaks that don't add to or begin any interesting discussion regarding K. Rool. I'll see myself out then.
"Why aren't you guys meeting my completely arbitrary and imaginary rules for discussion in this thread? I'm leaving!"

K, bye

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Man, Smashboards without a Ridley thread in Newcomer Speculation feels so fundamentally...wrong.
I'm almost against K. Rool being deconfirmed because of just how fundamental this and the Ridley threads were, and really can't imagine what Newcomer Speculation would look like without them. Like who else's will become as massively supported and viewed as the King's besides everyone's favorite dragon?

Off the top of my head, maybe Banjo Kazooie, Geno and Isaac, but I can't imagine them getting this huge.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
K. Rool not being in this Smash would be the biggest downer. Mostly because if this Smash is about fanservice Sakurai will have missed a huge opportunity.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Man, Smashboards without a Ridley thread in Newcomer Speculation feels so fundamentally...wrong.
I'm almost against K. Rool being deconfirmed because of just how fundamental this and the Ridley threads were, and really can't imagine what Newcomer Speculation would look like without them. Like who else's will become as massively supported and viewed as the King's besides everyone's favorite dragon?

Off the top of my head, maybe Banjo Kazooie, Geno and Isaac, but I can't imagine them getting this huge.
You should have seen Geno in Brawl days.

We have vs threads back then, and we were able to beat Ridley in shear force at times

Captain Shades

Smash Ace

I already pretty much said I’m on your side, but I’ll go through your points

Rex and Pyra can still make it, like you said, they were finalized in mid 2016, Sakurai is known for late editions and miracles. I really doubt Elma would get in over them. Smash still had more than two years to add them, so I think they still have a chance. Arms has an even bigger chance, being that MK 8’s DLC was released mid 2015, so assuming their was a team split up, ARMS would fall in line with Smash’s development.

As for FE, I guess I mean Melee. Roy was put in to advertise FE 6, but FE wasn’t that popular overall, and most of the world literally had no idea what FE was. The only reason FE came to the states was due to Smash popularity, so you could easily say Smash is why FE characters are popular. Even FE fans say their franchise was saved by Smash.

Also, Impa and Celica being nobodies! I’m pretty sure Impa was a highly requested Zelda character after HW during the ballot. I mean, she does appear in almost every 3D Zelda. Other than Lana and maybe Tingle, Impa was in high demand for Zelda, as she was a main character that wasn’t a version of Link or Zelda. As for Celica she was in Warriors and the most recent FE game. She was also ranked the best female character by FE fans on Heroes’ second ballot.

I will agree with the rest of your points though.

Smash does introduce people to new characters and franchises, I guess my concern is that even if they are introduced, it’ll be hard to find something with a character like K Rool in it. He isn’t in modern titles and Nintendo’s shotty VC doesn’t help the issue. I mean, Wii U and 3DS have horribly managed VCs, like Wii U has Advanced titles, while 3DS doesn’t, but 3DS has GameBoy. The Classics are impossible to find, and Switch doesn’t have VC. It doesn’t help that Nintendo doesn’t market the VC, even when talking to hardcore Nintendo fans, they seem surprised to hear what titles are on Wii U. K Rool is also at a disadvantage for not being a mascot, and forcing people to look through to find what particular DK titles he’s in. He isn’t like Duck Hunt where his name is literally his game.

Sorry if I come off as a concern troll. This is more a Nintendo issue than Smash, but I think that does hurt him in the players can get introduced to new things area. Really Nintendo needs to fix this.

To end, I agree with you and hope the best for King K Rool

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470

You said it lol, first the space pirate, and then soon perhaps, the king.
What does a pirate and a King both have in common? Gold. Which means, Isaac, our Golden Boy will have to be the next.
He was in line with Mewtwo, Ridley and K. Rool after all.

Last edited:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
am i the only one who love.....the one of us song? ...maybe its just donkey kong voice but this is awesome! :D

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
am i the only one who love.....the one of us song? ...maybe its just donkey kong voice but this is awesome! :D
Song should be played anytime someone wants to be added to the support list

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
I liked the instrumental. It's a shame that the show never released an official soundtrack with all of the songs and instrumentals.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yo man, why is Wario in the evil banner, he’s more an anti-hero or just another Mario cast member at this point.
Well, according to Brawl and his own selfish actions, I clearly understands it. He was after all one of the characters that never changed side into the good ones.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Believe me man, you're not the only one. The song is so deliciously cheesy and catchy, and the silly dancing is just the icing on the cake. I can't help but smile whenever I watch it, haha.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I honestly don’t really care about the hypothetical that K. Rool gets added and suddenly casual players get distressed that they can’t play a game with him or something. It’s 2018, there are so many ways for old games to be played.

K. Rool isn’t for them. He’s for us, the fans who have requested the character for over a decade. If Nintendo finds themselves in a position where people want to see K. Rool in a modern game...then they’re in a perfect position to bring him back to the DK series.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Indeed. K. Rool is for the old fans. (Not saying younger gens cannot enjoy him too)
I just hope that, after all this time, we get our wish come true, and ... I hope that starring in a Smash game, K. Rool might appear more frequently in Donkey Kong games in general. Also ... I'm dying to see K. Rool in a Mario Kart game. I can't be the only one.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Yo man, why is Wario in the evil banner, he’s more an anti-hero or just another Mario cast member at this point.
sorry but first time when i saw wario hunting ness and lucas kids in smash brawl.
I knew he was not a nice guy. maybe its more a anti hero but i consider wario and king dedede bad guy.
dont want to start this "good vs evvil war" again.

he is more evil ( or bad) than nice

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Also, an important thing to note on Greninja: he was the sole exception of Smash 4's roster of a character being pulled early. Sonic being added late to Brawl delayed it. Here's what Sakurai had to work with for Greninja:

He's a water-based ninja and his fighting style in Smash reflects that. Rex/Pyra is a vastly more complicated character concept that would require finalized gameplay to really implement into Smash. Xenoblade is also not Pokemon; I do not see a scenario where Sakurai Greninjas half the newcomers just to advertise new games. The choice to start development very soon after the ballot strikes me as deliberate, rather than waiting for Nintendo's catalogue to build up. And I for one am glad, because Smash 4's focus on recency made the game feel very narrow in scope.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kind of funny they knew Greninja would be the popular choice ahead of time. Especially knowing that when he was leaked people seemed to dislike him. But I guess people that see leaks aren't the majority

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I already pretty much said I’m on your side, but I’ll go through your points

Rex and Pyra can still make it, like you said, they were finalized in mid 2016, Sakurai is known for late editions and miracles. I really doubt Elma would get in over them. Smash still had more than two years to add them, so I think they still have a chance. Arms has an even bigger chance, being that MK 8’s DLC was released mid 2015, so assuming their was a team split up, ARMS would fall in line with Smash’s development.

As for FE, I guess I mean Melee. Roy was put in to advertise FE 6, but FE wasn’t that popular overall, and most of the world literally had no idea what FE was. The only reason FE came to the states was due to Smash popularity, so you could easily say Smash is why FE characters are popular. Even FE fans say their franchise was saved by Smash.

Also, Impa and Celica being nobodies! I’m pretty sure Impa was a highly requested Zelda character after HW during the ballot. I mean, she does appear in almost every 3D Zelda. Other than Lana and maybe Tingle, Impa was in high demand for Zelda, as she was a main character that wasn’t a version of Link or Zelda. As for Celica she was in Warriors and the most recent FE game. She was also ranked the best female character by FE fans on Heroes’ second ballot.

I will agree with the rest of your points though.

Smash does introduce people to new characters and franchises, I guess my concern is that even if they are introduced, it’ll be hard to find something with a character like K Rool in it. He isn’t in modern titles and Nintendo’s shotty VC doesn’t help the issue. I mean, Wii U and 3DS have horribly managed VCs, like Wii U has Advanced titles, while 3DS doesn’t, but 3DS has GameBoy. The Classics are impossible to find, and Switch doesn’t have VC. It doesn’t help that Nintendo doesn’t market the VC, even when talking to hardcore Nintendo fans, they seem surprised to hear what titles are on Wii U. K Rool is also at a disadvantage for not being a mascot, and forcing people to look through to find what particular DK titles he’s in. He isn’t like Duck Hunt where his name is literally his game.

Sorry if I come off as a concern troll. This is more a Nintendo issue than Smash, but I think that does hurt him in the players can get introduced to new things area. Really Nintendo needs to fix this.

To end, I agree with you and hope the best for King K Rool
Just because I think corrections are important, FE fans (of which I am definitely a big one), don't really say that Smash saved the series. Smash gave the series exposure, sure, but even with Smash, the games between Melee and Awakening sold middling to poor, on account of terrible marketing. Awakening is actually what (literally) saved the franchise, considering it was going to be the last they ever made.

>Impa

I never said she was a nobody, I didn't actually mention her, though any ballot metric we have, including the 10,000 strong US Reddit poll and any Japanese numbers, don't usually even show Impa in the top 20. If she gets in, it's likely as an easy-to-translate Echo character. As much as I enjoyed the 300+ hours I spent in HW, I doubt very much it'll influenced Sakurai's decisionmaking HW Ganon is a very popular design, and he reverted Ganon back to his most popular canon design instead.

As for K. Rool, it's not like they've added characters who's games are difficult for people to find before. Ike's games were virtually nonexistent and to this day can still run people over 150 dollars to acquire. (And STILL have yet to be reproduced) ROB is impossible for any kid to find. Meanwhile, both the Wii U and 3DS VC feature every single game K. Rool was in. Except for Barrel Blast.

Sure, they're "ports", but they're easy access to the classic games that made the character what it is. And they can presumably just go ahead and put them on the Switch, if it's *really* an issue for them. The games usually mention him by name up to no good in his description anyway.

But again, if he gets added, it's not because of "the kids", it's because of "us". Us old people who fought to have him place well in the ballot, and any results we can try to recreate poll favorably in that direction. Who knows how accurate the data is, it's not important.

You're really underselling Elma though. It was *fresh* in Japan at the time he was deciding the roster. He's not going to decide she's somehow not good enough and wait almost 2 years just for another viable candidate. It's her or nothing, likely.

I appreciate you trying not to sound like a "concern troll", I actually do. But we have this kind of thing happen a good deal, so I've got to try to make my point.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just wanted to jump in here really quickly. SoV had actually been in development since mid-2015 (coincidentally around the time Sakurai presumably asked for Corrin), so it wasn't too short of a development cycle. That and she's incredibly popular within the Fire Emblem fanbase, having won the second Choose Your Legends poll by a substantial margin (though this one excluded Ike, Lyn, Lucina, and Roy since they won the first poll, but Celica's raw numbers very likely would put her ahead of Roy at least).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
DKC is being advertised on Facebook right now. Sponsored ad by Nintendo for the 3DS VC

I took a screen shot of it but Smashboards won't let me upload it

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Just wanted to jump in here really quickly. SoV had actually been in development since mid-2015 (coincidentally around the time Sakurai presumably asked for Corrin), so it wasn't too short of a development cycle. That and she's incredibly popular within the Fire Emblem fanbase, having won the second Choose Your Legends poll by a substantial margin (though this one excluded Ike, Lyn, Lucina, and Roy since they won the first poll, but Celica's raw numbers very likely would put her ahead of Roy at least).
Thanks Oppo, appreciate it! I didn't know about dev time, so she does technically have a chance, though I find it a bit unlikely he'd look for another FE character to add given his comments on the amount last time. Of course, he also said he'd never get Ridley to work. We'll see!

I did know about Heroes though, as I actively play it. I will say though, that extensive popularity and sudden exposure hasn't done *Lyn* any favors for Smash, and she's substantially more popular.

DKC is being advertised on Facebook right now. Sponsored ad by Nintendo for the 3DS VC

I took a screen shot of it but Smashboards won't let me upload it
Yeah I've seen that same add. Even using the classic Rare renders. So irrelevant!

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thanks Oppo, appreciate it! I didn't know about dev time, so she does technically have a chance, though I find it a bit unlikely he'd look for another FE character to add given his comments on the amount last time. Of course, he also said he'd never get Ridley to work. We'll see!

I did know about Heroes though, as I actively play it. I will say though, that extensive popularity and sudden exposure hasn't done *Lyn* any favors for Smash, and she's substantially more popular.

Yeah I've seen that same add. Even using the classic Rare renders. So irrelevant!
To be fair, modern popularity wouldn't factor much anyway for either of them considering IS said they were surprised at how popular Lyn was after CYL. :p Honestly Lyn's similar to Waluigi in that their popularity became apparent to the devs far too late for it to matter for Smash.

...Timing sucks sometimes.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
To be fair, modern popularity wouldn't factor much anyway for either of them considering IS said they were surprised at how popular Lyn was after CYL. :p Honestly Lyn's similar to Waluigi in that their popularity became apparent to the devs far too late for it to matter for Smash.

...Timing sucks sometimes.
Fair! She could always see a bit of a renaissance in the next entry or as DLC, though Lyn fans definitely aren't making as much of an effort as Waluigi fans.

Though like you said, that's a bit of a double-edged sword though, given Celica's FEH popularity wouldn't factor either. I expect if she gets in, it would solely be because he asked IS for a character and they may have suggested her to him. I'm sure he's familiar with Gaiden. Who knows how he's doing that this time.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
In the scenario where there are not "too many new challengers" this time around, I think there is a very good chance the RPGs that get an upgrade every game sit one out this time. Xenoblade is probably getting someone though.

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
So since K. Rool should have his boss-battle-inspired stuff in specials and Final mostly, what would you like best as his A moves?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So since K. Rool should have his boss-battle-inspired stuff in specials and Final mostly, what would you like best as his A moves?
I really think there’s a lot of potential to get creative here. Slaps, slashes and the like for jabs is fine, but tilts, smashes and aerials can be really unique.

Like, say his bair has him ignite his blunderbuss? His dash attack has him slide across the stage with the jet from his blunderbuss?

A downsmash that drops a cannonball on both sides could be really interesting too.

Uair, launch upward a bit with the crown, dair could just be a stomp or a downward blunderbuss shot with a spike. Something satisfying to land.

Just a few!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why can't more fake leaks be like this, lol

Geno, K Rool, Dixie, and Banjo. That for me would make the roster perfect

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Why can't more fake leaks be like this, lol

Geno, K Rool, Dixie, and Banjo. That for me would make the roster perfect
I love wish fulfilling fakes like this. Not only are those three in, but Dixie is also in!

If only...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The discussion over marketing and appealing to audiences has been really measured and well-written so far, which is nice to see. A few points I'll throw in while I'm here:

There's no one type of casual or young gamer, just like there's no one type of hardcore fan. You can make overtures toward that audience but there's no foolproof way to appeal to them as a whole. And it should never come down to an either-or, where it's just assumed that hardcore fans will accept literally anything you throw at them, so just don't pay attention. The new norm on Smash sites is to assume there's always a "silent majority" out there that wants exactly the opposite of any given thing that's discussed on here. It's a good idea to think outside of our own "boxes" so to speak but more often than not the "silent majority" point just comes off as a form of contrarianism, brought up to knock confident hardcore fans down a peg because they can't 100% disprove that the masses all secretly like X Thing. (Though contrarians seem oddly confident in their ability to intuit exactly what those masses want, heh).

My personal opinion is that the best way to appeal to everyone is by putting in interesting characters, regardless of how old or new they are. That's a large part of why we get retro and surprise characters, and why a good number of casuals pick up characters they've never heard of before, because they look cool. It's paid off for a number of series in the past...Japanese-only Marth and Roy in Melee helped the series become what it is today, and retro Pit in Brawl was the investment the series needed to garner interest in Uprising a few years later. I guarantee you the lion's share of people who play Ridley won't be doing so because "he was present in Other M and that presence means he is a good character." They're gonna play him because he's a vicious dragon alien who can drag you across the stage and stab you through the chest. A goofy crocodile that carries a musket and plays dress-up is going to attract attention too, not unlike how Scorchingwater Scorchingwater became a fan starting from just reading internet discussions of such a character.

EDIT: Welcome to the Kutthroats, Houndstooth Houndstooth !

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Hey King K. Rool guys! I remember seeing you guys back in the Brawl days. I hope the Kremling King makes it in this time. Count me as a supporter, simply because I love this fanbase's desire to get their guy in. Also, K. Rool is cool. Geno is my main want, but K. Rool is second.

Play that One of Us song now!

King*Krool

Smash Apprentice
Hey ya Kremlings. I run the biggest King K. Rool page on facebook. (Would of been cooler in 2008 I know)

Anyway, we have about 1,300 current fans and growing. Sometimes we comment with the official Nintendo page, sometimes we get replies.

Been running it for a while now, and more supporters eventually is more word.

The Kings time is long overdue. Show your support on all platforms, create a F*(&^(*ing Myspace page again if you have to.

https://www.facebook.com/Official.King.K.Rool/

I'll see ya when the king arrives.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

If both King K Rool and Isaac got in the newcomer section would look really odd to me. I'm so used to seeing both of them on the first page.

Same for Banjo & Kazooie but that's a more recent development.

Top Bottom