• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
View attachment 151130
@CaptainAmerica

So, since the comment came from here, I will put it here first. I just kindly ask that please don't share or use here or anywhere else. I'm going to do that myself since I'm the artist and this was a request from a friend I got some time ago, so, please, respect that. Thank you.
That's awesome! Coincidentally I've been working on my own but it's not ready to post yet! I love your work though very nice! I love how you used the symbol on his shield! Great minds think alike but I think I'll change mine, I don't want to look like i ripped off your idea ha ha.

StormC

Smash Hero
Got a source for that? Would be uplifting if true. A Retro Studios closure would suck for those losing their jobs, but it would be a small consolation knowing that Donkey Kong's series will live on.
I'm afraid I don't have it on hand, it's a YouTube video that's been posted in this thread before. If anybody could dig it up that would be great. Sorry!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm afraid I don't have it on hand, it's a YouTube video that's been posted in this thread before. If anybody could dig it up that would be great. Sorry!
No worries. It should be worth noting that EAD has been merged with SPD into "Nintendo EPD" or (Entertainment Planning & Development Division) back in Sept of 2015 as per their post Wii U restructuring (source)

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
That's awesome! Coincidentally I've been working on my own but it's not ready to post yet! I love your work though very nice! I love how you used the symbol on his shield! Great minds think alike but I think I'll change mine, I don't want to look like i ripped off your idea ha ha.
^u^ Thank you! :D I'm curious to see what yours looks like! xD Hahaha, my friend was the one that gave me the idea of the Screw Attack symbol for the shield actually, at first I kinda got confused on what he was telling me and then he showed me the token, and I was like "OF COURSE! It's PERFECT!" , but you are right! :> And thanks again, I appreciate it!

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Hey ya Kremlings. I run the biggest King K. Rool page on facebook. (Would of been cooler in 2008 I know)

Anyway, we have about 1,300 current fans and growing. Sometimes we comment with the official Nintendo page, sometimes we get replies.

Been running it for a while now, and more supporters eventually is more word.

The Kings time is long overdue. Show your support on all platforms, create a F*(&^(*ing Myspace page again if you have to.

https://www.facebook.com/Official.King.K.Rool/

I'll see ya when the king arrives.
oh hey I remember you. I’m one of your Facebook followers :)

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
This time around, I think K. Rool has the best chances he's ever had. I have a feeling we'll only get 5-7 newcomers, but I have high hopes our Kroc will be one of them.

As an aside, I actually liked the TV series when I was a kid (and thinking about it now, is probably one of the main reasons I never forgot about King K. Rool).

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
^u^ Thank you! :D I'm curious to see what yours looks like! xD Hahaha, my friend was the one that gave me the idea of the Screw Attack symbol for the shield actually, at first I kinda got confused on what he was telling me and then he showed me the token, and I was like "OF COURSE! It's PERFECT!" , but you are right! :> And thanks again, I appreciate it!
I'll have to tag you when I post mine so you can see it! We'll start the spread of Captain Ridley all over! If hopefully K. Rool gets in we will have to turn him into an Avenger just to do it.

AnothenBlue

Smash Cadet
Retro Studios getting shut down doesn't sound good at all even if it doesn't mean that DKC is dead. That kind of stuff usually turns into a mess for a lot of people.
I agree that seeing the boards without Ridley AND K. Rool speculation would be incredibly odd, but it's gonna be worth it...if it happens. I can't help but think about the possibility that K. Rool doesn't become playable again and, since this is pretty much the last Smash game for a while, we'll have to wait for years before we get another shot at this. That's not a timeline I'd like to see...But if everything goes well, then it's gonna be awesome!
I wonder if they would reference the TV series though...I mean it's kinda old, but it's also memorable. At least some sort of a "One of Us" event would be nice.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll have to tag you when I post mine so you can see it! We'll start the spread of Captain Ridley all over! If hopefully K. Rool gets in we will have to turn him into an Avenger just to do it.
K. Rool would have to be Thor. Cape and king and everything.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Greetings, Kremlin Krew. Relatively new to the board, and I just wanted to pass by and express my support for our next king in line. I feel like he's got an outstanding chance to join the roster this time around. If you guys don't mind, here's some artwork I made during the week with my top 5 newcomer wishes, including the big Kruel King, up and center as he should be.

I look forward to speculating with you all.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
If I may add to the current discussion, while it would be terribly unfortunate for Retro to shut down, i don't think it would affect the King that much. Part of me wants to believe that he was added to the 2015 project plan thanks to the ballot, so since this Retro situation is a more recent matter, I don't think it hurts K. Rool's chances at all.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Greetings, Kremlin Krew. Relatively new to the board, and I just wanted to pass by and express my support for our next king in line. I feel like he's got an outstanding chance to join the roster this time around. If you guys don't mind, here's some artwork I made during the week with my top 5 newcomer wishes, including the big Kruel King, up and center as he should be.

I look forward to speculating with you all.

Welcome to the krew!

Jimmy42893

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jimmy42893
Got a source for that? Would be uplifting if true. A Retro Studios closure would suck for those losing their jobs, but it would be a small consolation knowing that Donkey Kong's series will live on.
Could be wrong, but I think it might be this video, around the 1:50 mark. (He says that "It's not the same team working on those IPs," referring to Mario and Donkey Kong.)

Also, hi everyone! Been hoping and praying for the King's return since DKCR, been Googling "King K. Rool" pretty much daily for the last four years for any small glimmer of hope, and been lurking in this thread for the last week or two before I finally saw a chance to kontribute. Happy to klimb aboard the galleon!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Could be wrong, but I think it might be this video, around the 1:50 mark. (He says that "It's not the same team working on those IPs," referring to Mario and Donkey Kong.)

Also, hi everyone! Been hoping and praying for the King's return since DKCR, been Googling "King K. Rool" pretty much daily for the last four years for any small glimmer of hope, and been lurking in this thread for the last week or two before I finally saw a chance to kontribute. Happy to klimb aboard the galleon!

Welcome aboard!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
uuuuuh....

https://twitter.com/Virum_SD/status/1013939722870116353

we may have ben right all along about king k rool during the ballot all along he was probably the most voted for

According to the miners

that last placeholder added was actally corrin and not bayonetta and bayonetta was under development a couple of days after the ballot began

this ballot may have ben for super smash brothers ultimate the whole time

YOU LIAR!!!!!!

WHO WAS THE REAL MOST VOTED FOR WHO WAS REALALISTIC AS POSSIBLE FIGHTER!!!
(most voted was probably goku but is unrealistic)

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
uuuuuh....

https://twitter.com/Virum_SD/status/1013939722870116353

we may have ben right all along about king k rool during the ballot all along he was probably the most voted for

According to the miners

that last placeholder added was actally corrin and not bayonetta and bayonetta was under development a couple of days after the ballot began

this ballot may have ben for super smash brothers ultimate the whole time

I don't really know what you're trying to say. I think you're getting ahead of yourself.

However, if that's true and I've seen that information elsewhere as well, it could suggest that K. Rool's Mii is more meaningful because it was in the first wave after the ballot was released. What I mean is that I don't think the ballot wasn't used for Bayonetta. Rather, I think think the ballot was used but they did not wait months to see the results, as most of us suspected. They could immediately tell who was more popular and chose Bayonetta among the "realizable and negotiable" characters. That K. Rool was among the first Mii costumes chosen, in the first wave after the ballot opened and they apparently looked at the results, further solidfifes in my mind that he was immediately flagged by the dev team as a popular pick.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
For the record, these are the guys who oversee Kurogane Hammer, where they post numerical values for each character's statistics like weight and fall speed after datamining Smash Wii U.

They've just now said Bayonetta's file was added two weeks after the ballot started, and the basis for her file was ZSS, a character with a similar stature off of whom they could model her more easily and quickly with a more limited staff. Can anybody say "realizable?"

People have spent years telling K. Rool fans they're just loud and irrelevant conspiracy theorists, and the casuals secretly loved Bayonetta. And this is to say nothing of her value as a newcomer. But this is more evidence there was a lot more at play behind her inclusion than just "She won and you lost so shut up."

She was added two weeks into the ballot, while K. Rool's costume came out three months in. If there was any minuscule doubt that was a direct result of his ballot performance, it should be gone. And the team seemingly punting on doing anything with the ballot data for Wii U DLC means nothing but good things moving forward.

Last edited:

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
For the record, these are the guys who oversee Kurogane Hammer, where they post numerical values for each character's statistics like weight and fall speed after datamining Smash Wii U.

They've just now said Bayonetta's file was added two weeks after the ballot started, and the basis for her file was ZSS, a character with a similar stature off of whom they could model her more easily and quickly with a more limited staff. Can anybody say "realizable?"

People have spent years telling K. Rool fans they're just loud and irrelevant, and the casuals secretly loved Bayonetta. And this is to say nothing of her value as a newcomer. But this is more evidence there was a lot more at play behind her inclusion than just "She won and you lost so shut up."

She was added two weeks into the ballot, while K. Rool's costume came out three months in. If there was any minuscule doubt that was a direct result of his ballot performance, it should be gone. And the team seemingly punting on doing anything with the ballot data for Wii U DLC means nothing but good things moving forward.
Well, that does sound good for K. Rool, at least. Tho if this is all true, I'm pretty miffed that Nintendo pretty much lied to us when they said Bayonetta was the winner of the ballot in the last Smash 4 Direct.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Well, that does sound good for K. Rool, at least. Tho if this is all true, I'm pretty miffed that Nintendo pretty much lied to us when they said Bayonetta was the winner of the ballot in the last Smash 4 Direct.
They did not necessarily lie. Maybe Bayonetta was indeed heavily requested despite the fact that she was planned from the start, so they just slapped those messages in there for extra measure.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Agreed on both points. Hopefully, our king will get in this time in Smash Ultimate.

If I may, if this isn't a bad time, while we wait for the next trailer, and for K. Rool to be in overall, I want to share some lyrics I made about our king if that is okay. Here they are:

We've got ourselves a problem here, sir
We need to band together
An alliance is need to make them
Bring in our king with skin of leather

I think I know what will make it happen
If I'm right there might be hope
We'll keep asking Sakurai for him in
As we wait and as we cope

Shhhhhh

Keep it down
We need a remedy
Gotta get him in
To beat up his enemies

Shhhhhh

How will this end,
Will he be in, friend?
Gotta make real sure
That our wills won't break or bend

What if we beg Sakurai
To add in King K. Rool
More than the other kongs like Cranky
The plan does sound really cool

Um, no. That won't work
A ballot is the key
Votes for him are the real deal
I am sure that you agree

Shhhhhh

Keep it down
We need a remedy
Gotta get him in
To beat up his enemies

Shhhhhh

How will this end,
Will he be in, friend?
Gotta make real sure
That our wills won't break or bend

Can you guess what song this is based off of? What do you think, by the way?

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
What I mean is that I don't think the ballot wasn't used for Bayonetta. Rather, I think think the ballot was used but they did not wait months to see the results, as most of us suspected. They could immediately tell who was more popular and chose Bayonetta. T
That's not the case. One of the miners (Ruben) revealed that their slots were copied from characters with similar parameters and for Bayo it was ZSS, and that was only two weeks after the ballot was announced. We KNOW that DLC characters take around 6 months to make, the data for 1.0.6 would have been made and compiled before the date it was added into the game. There's no way this would have been decided in two weeks when they also have to decide on Bayo and Corrin, complete the licencing and start the process of making them.

Last edited:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
These news of the Smash Ballot meaning nothing for Smash 4 make me regret my reaction to King K. Rool being a costume. I'm happy that there's the possibility of more fighters voted from the ballot instead of just the one we were promised.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's not the case. One of the miners (Ruben) revealed that their slots were copied from characters with similar parameters and for Bayo it was ZSS, and that was only two weeks after the ballot was announced. We KNOW that DLC characters take around 6 months to make, the data for 1.0.6 would have been made and compiled before the date it was added into the game. There's no way this would have been decided in two weeks when they also have to decide on Bayo and Corrin, complete the licencing and start the process of making them.
Actually, that's a good point. They can't just put a placeholder for Bayo that soon without having already decided and worked out all the legal nitty-gritty.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
So now that we know that Bayonetta didn't come directly from the ballot what can we look into now for results other than online polls? For the longest time I thought since we knew how Bayonetta did we were able to sort of contextualize the results of the other characters, but this new information flipped that idea on its head.

So with this new info, K. Rool is now the only Mii costume / thing added in Smash 4 without a specific reason to be there other than the ballot. Geno's costume may have come from the ballot as well but, with him being 3rd party, I'd imagine the legal issues would've been sorted out long before the costume was sold. I'm not saying this definitively, but this sort of may suggest that K. Rool may have won the ballot results. I don't want to be too hopeful but before the ballot K. Rool was dead in the water and then conveniently months later he gets a costume made for him.

I'm not exactly sure what defines a "realizable character" but this may actually mean that he seriously won the ballot. Unless if there was another character that also got a Mii costume at the time who didn't have existing assets that I don't know about, I think we can safely assume once and for all that he either won or did extremely well in the results.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Actually, that's a good point. They can't just put a placeholder for Bayo that soon without having already decided and worked out all the legal nitty-gritty.
I think it is possible she was planned before the ballot. That would make sense. I kinda do remember people asking for Bayonetta long before the ballot and even when Mewtwo was announced as DLC. I also think that is why she was chosen over K. Rool (I think, as in just a guess) as K. Rool apparently wasn't as asked for much as he was in the ballot, was he not?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'm not exactly sure what defines a "realizable character" but this may actually mean that he seriously won the ballot. Unless if there was another character that also got a Mii costume at the time who didn't have existing assets that I don't know about, I think we can safely assume once and for all that he either won or did extremely well in the results.
If this was meant for K. Rool tho, I'd think that it would be because with a low budget, and limited staff on standby, creating K. Rool would mean that they would create him from scratch, with nowhere to pull textures from, as he has not been seen since Sluggers. Also, there would be too many new moves to create, whilst Bayonetta was easier to port over from the game source itself. It was more on the final touches to make her in Smash formula.

That could be it, but that's only if it was meant for K. Rool tho, by "realizable characters". I kind of feel the comment is missing "at the time" on the end, hehe.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's a question I don't think was asked. Assuming King K. Rool doesn't get alt costumes, would his alt color pallettes be based on various Kremlings?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
If this was meant for K. Rool tho, I'd think that it would be because with a low budget, and limited staff on standby, creating K. Rool would mean that they would create him from scratch, with nowhere to pull textures from, as he has not been seen since Sluggers. Also, there would be too many new moves to create, whilst Bayonetta was easier to port over from the game source itself. It was more on the final touches to make her in Smash formula.

That could be it, but that's only if it was meant for K. Rool tho, by "realizable characters". I kind of feel the comment is missing "at the time" on the end, hehe.
Well, that is how I would put it, actually. They apparently just did not have the time and resources to make a new K. Rool model and character, huh?

Klimax

Smash Ace
Things look better than ever ! I'm not sure that K. Rool won the ballot, but I'm sure that he did really well since he's popular in the est and in the west.

This time, our King is going to have his finest hour !

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Are you guys really surprised about Bayonetta being a Nintendo pick that has nothing to do with the ballot. I swear I never saw her on any ballots, the tops were always King K, Rayman, Bandana Dee, Wolf, Ridley, Snake, Dixie, Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Captain Toad to name a few. Looking at them as our newcomers, this would actually be a great list. Smash Balloters picked correctly.

Plus we know K Rool wasn’t the true winner, I mean, I’m pretty sure everyone’s favorite Nintendo mascots Shrek and Goku truly won, so stop twisting the facts Kutthroats.

Last edited:

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
I mean I don't think K. Rool actually won the entire ballot. I just think it's fair to assume he did really well in the real results seeing that he got a brand new design for a Mii costume after his character was literally dead for years. I mean clearly the two things are correlated, and seeing that Bayonetta wasn't completely ballot related makes the results murkier than ever. I just think it's safe to assume now that, with the trademark AND the costume, K. Rool is clearly seen as a viable character for Nintendo in some shape or form, and hopefully that's for Smash 5.

Top Bottom