• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I didn't know Retro followed the Kremlin Kampaign on Twitter, so that that gives me some hope. However, the ballot seemed more like a Smash thing then it being related to anything outside of it. I honestly don't think Nintendo will use it as a form of reference, but I want to be wrong.

Yes but even if it's Smash centric it still shows Nintendo what characters are popular and possibly marketable. I feel that K. Rool mainly got a street sign in New Donk City because the ballot showed his popularity so Nintendo gave him a refrence. Retro would be dumb not to bank on his curent popularity... they would look like theyre blatantly ignoring fans at that point. Even if the Kremlings aren't the main baddies in the next game I fully expect K. Rool to make a cameo or even be playable.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Yes but even if it's Smash centric it still shows Nintendo what characters are popular and possibly marketable. I feel that K. Rool mainly got a street sign in New Donk City because the ballot showed his popularity so Nintendo gave him a refrence. Retro would be dumb not to bank on his curent popularity... they would look like theyre blatantly ignoring fans at that point. Even if the Kremlings aren't the main baddies in the next game I fully expect K. Rool to make a cameo or even be playable.
I hope that's the case then. I've just been let down so many times and I'm getting tired of getting my hopes up. It's been a horrible roller-coaster ride since DKC: R back in 2010. But the New Donk City street signs were a great reference, so I hope they keep that up. And you're right, they'd be dumb as hell not to bank on this current rise of popularity towards the kremlings and their/our King. I just want to see him become a mainstay villain again.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
Good things come in threes.

Donkey Kong Country Returns brought back DK and Diddy.

Tropical Freeze brought back Dixie and Cranky.

Donkey Kong Country Switch will bring back the Kremlings and of course, King K. Rool!

How many DK reps are there in Smash? 2.

Good things come in threes. That good thing being an immensely popular obese crocodile with a cape, crown and a bloodshot eye being playable in Smash.

THE KING K. ROOL HYPE TRAIN BEGINS.

CHOO CHOO BABY.

i feel like a conspiracy nut now

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
There's litreally a trail of breadcrumb's that seem to be leading to a new DK game... here's a list.

Retro mentioned DK going 3D in the future of the franchise, this was an old interview with Retro around TF's release.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ghts_potential_return_of_3d_donkey_kong_games

The guys over at DK Vine heard a rumor that David Wise was working on a secret project for Nintendo and they were also told Retro wasn't working on Metroid which we know is true now, Namco is making Metroid Prime 4

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_is_working_on_an_unannounced_nintendo_title

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/9/16994730/metroid-prime-4-developer-bandai-namco-nintendo-switch

Reggie Mentioned Donkey Kong in that interview a little ways back....similar to when he name dropped Smash Bros. when talking about Switch''s online service which led to speculation.

http://time.com/5000167/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/

Now we have this Tweet from Nintendo Italy..

Not to mention the fact that Michael Kelbaugh (Retros president) follows the Kremling Kampaigner Twitter.. and pretty much has since around the time of the Smash Ballot I believe..

I'm quite confident that there's a new DK coming and that K. Rool is bound to return.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
This tweet is interesting!

Personally I'd love a 3rd modern DKC! Tropical Freeze was amazing and my DK itch needs more scratching, for sure

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
There's litreally a trail of breadcrumb's that seem to be leading to a new DK game... here's a list.

Retro mentioned DK going 3D in the future of the franchise, this was an old interview with Retro around TF's release.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ghts_potential_return_of_3d_donkey_kong_games

The guys over at DK Vine heard a rumor that David Wise was working on a secret project for Nintendo and they were also told Retro wasn't working on Metroid which we know is true now, Namco is making Metroid Prime 4

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_is_working_on_an_unannounced_nintendo_title

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/9/16994730/metroid-prime-4-developer-bandai-namco-nintendo-switch

Reggie Mentioned Donkey Kong in that interview a little ways back....similar to when he name dropped Smash Bros. when talking about Switch''s online service which led to speculation.

http://time.com/5000167/nintendo-switch-super-mario-odyssey/

Now we have this Tweet from Nintendo Italy..

Not to mention the fact that Michael Kelbaugh (Retros president) follows the Kremling Kampaigner Twitter.. and pretty much has since around the time of the Smash Ballot I believe..

I'm quite confident that there's a new DK coming and that K. Rool is bound to return.
Damn this has me excited for E3. I just hope they actually show it this time. We've been left in the dark about their new title for too long now. I'm really itching to see what they got planned. Especially if it's a new DKC game with the potential to have Kremlings like you said.

Last edited:

culumon

Smash Apprentice
A new Donkey Kong being announced at E3 is one of my biggest hopes this year, but I'm taking that tease with a grain of salt if only because it wouldn't be the first time I've been burned by one of Nintendo's social media posts seemingly teasing something that ultimately meant nothing - this springs to mind immediately. (Okay, we got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a year later, but no Kalimari Desert, so it counts consarn it). Basically with how nonsensical most of Nintendo's social media postings are this could just be something as mundane as a bored intern having had two bananas for lunch and a third lying around and thinking "oh boy this'll be the post that knocks 'em dead!" for whatever reason. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
How well do you think is the tropical freeze port going to sell on the switch? I hope that the sales will be much higher this time given the switch is so popular right now and people want to play as many games as possible on it. On Wii U Nintendo absolutely didn't care about tropical freeze, they delayed it and then they didn't even promote it...

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
You guys need to stop all this. Getting me excited and actually believing there's a chance that this all might actually happen again.

Too long I as I'm sure most of you have waited for this. If it happens it might actually force me to buy a switch.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I feel that DKC:TP will sell well; people love the country series.

I am currently playing through DKC3 again.
This one...it does some things really well, others however are borderline atrocious.

The level design feels weird more often than not, the aesthetics are great, though.

Music is a mixed bag as well...I love the tree, factory, underwater and cliff themes, the rest is kinda forgettable, imo.

The enemy designs do not come close to the unforgettable pirate krocs from DKC2 though.

And of course, Baron‘s fight is just...lame. Nowhere near as breathtaking as the fight against the captain...

Overall, I do enjoy the game, but it doesn‘t come close to the brilliance of it‘s predecessor...

Whoop, don‘t really know where that all came from..kinda just started rambling on...

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
How well do you think is the tropical freeze port going to sell on the switch? I hope that the sales will be much higher this time given the switch is so popular right now and people want to play as many games as possible on it. On Wii U Nintendo absolutely didn't care about tropical freeze, they delayed it and then they didn't even promote it...
The Switch seems to be the King Midas of video game sales, in that everything it touches turns into gold. So, let's hope so.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
And of course, Baron‘s fight is just...lame. Nowhere near as breathtaking as the fight against the captain...

...Overall, I do enjoy the game, but it doesn‘t come close to the brilliance of it‘s predecessor...
I feel the same I replayed them all a few years ago. 1 and 2 are great pretty much nothing I can say wrong about them. 3 as you said there's nothing really wrong with the game (other than maybe the world map which if anything should be an improvement?), but something feels off about it compared to the others. Just feels a bit lack luster after everything else.

I think Baron is the least favorite out of the 3 certainly not as iconic.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
So, if K. Rool made it into smash switch, but was ultimately considered a bottom 3 character, would you still main him?

D

Deleted member

So, if K. Rool made it into smash switch, but was ultimately considered a bottom 3 character, would you still main him?
I would only main him if he's fun to play as for me.
Tiers have no influence on that.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Sure. Mewtwo was one of the characters that I mainly used in Melee; as long as I like the character and they're fun to use, I don't care how strong they are in terms of tiers.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Ok, I guess it really depends on how much you care about competition. I main charizard who is a low/mid tier but bottom 3 to me is like... unviable trash. (ganon/jiggly tier) I'm just curious if you guys would be able to fathom krool being THAT BAD lol. And I'm not assuming he will be bad or bottom 3.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I spent a good amount of time playing DeDeDe back in Smash 4, I'm well prepared for the possibility that K. Rool is bottom tier. I'm maining him either way if he gets in.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I would only main him if he's fun to play as for me.
Tiers have no influence on that.
I definitely agree with this sentiment. I play a lot of high tier characters, and a lot of low tier characters. I play some characters in one smash, but not another. The only factor I look at is "are they fun?" To that end, I have been forcing myself to play Lucina just because. So, you never know, once I see King K. Rool, he might be that kind of character.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I get why people would see characters being 'bad' as an issue.

I play with friends and even though you do want characters to be viable as long as they are actually playable that's all that matters. Fun factor is more important than being top teir. Having the mindset of k.rool being top teir is wrong I think. I see him as too unreliable and built or random chance to be based on competitive play in my mind.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I've mained Yoshi in every single Smash no matter what his tier and played competitively..... K. Rool will be my number 2 no matter what. He could be in his own Tier of garbage and I will still make him my number 2 main.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
I mained Pichu in Melee. Ganon in SSBB/SSB4. Ganon is my favorite Smash character. I can wreck stuff with him.

Tiers do not affect me.

I will put in as much work as possible to make K. Rool my main, no matter his tier position. Nothing will stop me.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I mained Pichu in Melee. Ganon in SSBB/SSB4. Ganon is my favorite Smash character. I can wreck stuff with him.

Tiers do not affect me.

I will put in as much work as possible to make K. Rool my main, no matter his tier position. Nothing will stop me.
Same here, except for the Pichu and Ganon part. I will make sure to work hard as well with K. Rool, regardless of which tier he is in. I'll be devoted to using the King that much.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
As someone who will gladly play as DK, Dedede, and Bowser in any of the Smash games they're in, I can confidently say I don't care about tiers 90% of the time. K. Rool could gain 10% damage for every step he took and I'd still get his play style down to a science.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Well, as long as he's a fun character to play as, I wouldn't care if he's low tier. When it comes to Smash Bros. I personally care more about the fun factor of the characters rather than their tier placement. If he's fun, I'll play as him often no matter the tier.

StormC

Smash Hero
I would play as K. Rool on every stage against every character even if he was terrible.

Just not online. But with my luck, my main from Smash 4 is gonna get cut. :4cloud:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About the potential new Donkey Kong game that is supposed to be revealed in the future...

Kind off topic, but while we are at it, who wants to see other classic enemies aside from the Kremlings, like the Zinger bees (or whatever they called), Gnawtys and all that?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yup, Zingers and Gnawties are just as iconic as the Kremlings. I think sometimes people just group them together under the same headline even if they aren't crocodiles. Heck, the first enemy you see in DKC is a beaver! Same with DK64. They should totally come along for the ride.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yup, Zingers and Gnawties are just as iconic as the Kremlings. I think sometimes people just group them together under the same headline even if they aren't crocodiles. Heck, the first enemy you see in DKC is a beaver! Same with DK64. They should totally come along for the ride.
Exactly! I would love it if we got to fight those kinds of enemies again.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yeah, I think everyone who played DKC has the sound of the Zingers ingrained in their mind. As well as the goofy sound Very Gnawty/Really Gnawty make when you hit them. They're very memorable enemies. They stand out. I mean, just think, giant wasps and beavers in the jungle...that's funny. I like that goofiness. It works without it seeming too crazy, either.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Zingers, Gnawties, etc. are still considered part of the Kremling Krew even if they're technically not Kremlings.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
About the potential new Donkey Kong game that is supposed to be revealed in the future...

Kind off topic, but while we are at it, who wants to see other classic enemies aside from the Kremlings, like the Zinger bees (or whatever they called), Gnawtys and all that?
Oh, yeah! They really should bring back some of the classic enemies like the Zingers and such. I actually kinda miss the Zingers and their buzzes...

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
It did fairly well on Wii U, so I expect it to do even better on the Switch. I've seen a lot of excitement for the game online, so I'm confident the game will sell. I know I'm definitely getting it. I bought it before on Wii U when it first released, but I plan to buy it again just to show my love for the DKC series. Plus, it'll be fun to replay through the game again.
I remember back then when I really wanted Sonic in Smash Bros, I vowed that I'd main him no matter what. In Brawl Sonic was considered low tier (back when it first released), but I never let that effect me. Granted, he's top tier now, but if he were to get nerfed hard now or in Smash Switch, I'd still play him. I just love the character. My secondary also happens to be Palutena. She's considered to be pretty bad, but I don't care. I still rock with her. The same would apply for K. Rool. I've been wanting him since Melee. That's a very long time of waiting. I'd play him no matter what they did. He means too much to me not to main him. I'd definitely make him my new secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
You can look at my main and answer the question.

I feel like something will be done to make slow characters not automatically bad, but even if they don't, Rool's tricky weapons should make him a lot better than Dededorf is now.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Pax east coming up!

Maybe an announcement.

Maybe a big green announcement.

Maybe nothing at all.

Tune in to find out.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I mained Bowser in PM and Wario in Smash 4 because I have so much fun playing as them, casually or competitively. Heck, I beat most of my friends with these characters, so tiers are just a bunch of statistics to me.
K. Rool, though? He would be main day one. I'd find a way to get around his flaws and have fun with him. I did it with Bowser, DK, Charizard, and Zelda, and I'll do it again with K. Rool.

MoKen

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm a smash player from Germany and I love the Donkey Kong series. Add me to the supporters list! King K. Rool for smash Switch!!!

Top Bottom