• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
4chan must be having a field day with anything they say has a chance of being taken as legit.
Perhaps. I say they are making a big dare making these kinds of leaks, if you know what I mean. I wouldn't be surprised to see this not be true in the end.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I think people need to think about K. Rool's inclusion from a marketing standpoint to realize exactly what his chances are. People often reference K. Rool's absence in Donkey Kong games, or his popularity being solely with the "nostalgia crowd", but what these people tend to forget is: K. Rool has sex appeal. Those intelligent eyes. Those white teeth. The tasteful golden breastplate. The lavish cape. Those strong, capable arms.

I don't know why everyone pushes Zero Suit or Bayonetta as the "sexy" character. K. Rool makes them look like the women you find at Wal-Mart at 3AM. And c'mon. K. Rool, Wario, and Ridley in one game? Might as well reclassify this game as M for Mature for the raw sexuality being exuded.
It's almost 100 degrees where I live, but that's not what's keeping me hot at the moment. It's this post! It's gettin' caliente up in this thread right now.

And some people have the audacity to say he's "too ugly" to get into Smash. The nerve of them!

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
There's this small part of me that's still holding out hope were getting a Banjo announcement for Smash U. I was thinking the perfect opportunity would be Banjos 20th anniversary, if he's in there's no better time..... not to mention IF we got a Banjo announcement it would turn every "leak" on their heads because he's been absolutely zero.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Meh. I still think they're gonna reveal some sort of Banjo-Kazooie game rather than announce him for Smash. That's just me, though.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:

I kid you all not, I had a dream about K. Rool being playable a little before I woke up this morning. . . The funny thing is, it happened to be inside of a game I care absolutely nothing about, nor do I like it in any way, shape or form - League of Legends. Ha ha. Yup, I was as confused waking up as anyone probably is right now reading this, but it happened. Truthfully, I don't even really know how League works to be blunt, all I know is that what I envisioned was a new character model for K. Rool that was being showcased in a dim-lit room (based upon the original Rare design in terms of being a darker shade of green, scaly and et cetera. . . Recognizable) with some modern touches. . . Kind of how Sheik has a few things added to her design in Ultimate, for example.

Again, I don't know much about nor do I like League at all, and I'd have much preferred this to have been some kind of dreamlike SSB5 reveal, but it is what it is I suppose. . . Right? Regardless, K. Rool clearly has been on my mind and I figured it'd be an amusing share, to say the least.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Meh. I still think they're gonna reveal some sort of Banjo-Kazooie game rather than announce him for Smash. That's just me, though.
Rare already sort of shot that down in a Tweet today, saying something about a new game being far off or something to that effect. They could have been lying but I don't know... I'm the opposite I see him in Smash before a new game Banjos situation is very similar to K. Rool in fact eerily similar.... if he got into Smash I think it would held lead to a revival for him.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo, to my knowledge, has never announced a direct on a weekend, so that already throws that leak out the window. I'd be very happy if it ever did happen though.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
We talking about Banjo-Kazooie now? I suppose Im kind of an "expert" on the topic.
Ah, sweet Banjo-Kazooie, it was my best birthday 20 years ago... at best I was hoping for a port of the Xbox 360 versions for Windows 10. But it wasn't the case. But Im totally hunting for that First4Figures collectible. Will look great next to my BK pencil case.

Now, as for direct leaks and the green fatso itself. I find it extremely unlikely, it is too early for it. And Im afraid even when the next character reveal happens, it will be someone less big and villanous to contrast Ridley. My bet goes for Ashley/Geno.

But I will give some evidence in favor of a Monday reveal. Robin was revealed on a Monday of 2014. No Direct though, just a trailer on the website.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I think people need to think about K. Rool's inclusion from a marketing standpoint to realize exactly what his chances are. People often reference K. Rool's absence in Donkey Kong games, or his popularity being solely with the "nostalgia crowd", but what these people tend to forget is: K. Rool has sex appeal. Those intelligent eyes. Those white teeth. The tasteful golden breastplate. The lavish cape. Those strong, capable arms.

I don't know why everyone pushes Zero Suit or Bayonetta as the "sexy" character. K. Rool makes them look like the women you find at Wal-Mart at 3AM. And c'mon. K. Rool, Wario, and Ridley in one game? Might as well reclassify this game as M for Mature for the raw sexuality being exuded.
So King K Rool is Extra THICC?

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Man, I know it's only been less than three weeks since E3 but I'm already dying for new info. A Banjo-Kazooie reveal in the next few days would be nuts, but I doubt it. Unless it's something that gets proven like Smash 4 ESRB or Vergeben, I tend to ignore most leaks as 99.8% of them are fake. And as far as I know, I don't think there's ever been a character announcement that was timed for a specific anniversary, as cool as it would be.

Whenever we get our next character reveal, I'll keep my fingers crossed for K. Rool but not hold my breath. No matter how hype the character is, if it isn't K. Rool it would still sting a little because it means the waiting game would continue for us. And if Vergeben is to be trusted the next one might very well be Simon. But I'm sure fans of every character feel that way when someone gets in who isn't their dream pick.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It'd be more credible if the leak happened THEN Rare tweeted. But anyone can speculate why Rare are doing what they are doing afterward.

Still would be interesting.

I'd support Banjo Kazooie more if I thought he had a chance. I even voted for him once on the ballot.

Although I wasn't sure if you were supposed to be voting for multiple characters

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
[
Would you feel betrayed if Dixie makes in instead of K. Rool ?
I will not lie, Dixie is my favorite videogame character of all time and personally I'd be more happier with her inclusion.
But lately both of them are equally wanted to me, both would be a dream come true.
I expect both in with Dixie being a Luigi like semi-clone.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I'm going to veer off topic here but something I wanted to share...

So far from what little we know of Smash Ultimate it really does seem like a lot of fan request's have been taken into consideration this time around.... yes some decently requested characters have been hit with the Assist Trophy treatment but one character really stands out to me.

Krystal from Star Fox Adventure's proves something too me... Sakurai is not afraid to utilize a character from the Rare era that Nintendo has tried to distance themselves from. She may be an assist trophy which is a bummer for her fans, but one thing is for sure she's getting more attention now than she has in a while.... what was the last game she was in? Star Fox Command?? I think... then she vanished and has been seemingly replaced at least as far as Star Fox Zero.....goes where we had a random new female counterpart to Fox.

There she is though in Smash ultimate, it's almost surreal to see an HD model of Krystal... an "irrelevant" character. Which is why I expect to see K. Rool 100% in Ultimate and while I hope more than anything that he's playable, no matter what he will be there and hopefully no matter what it helps him come back.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Tweeter.jpg

The tweeter took it as a positive, but this post RIGHT HERE, kind of makes me feel like it's not happening

Edit: At least not Monday

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Krystal from Star Fox Adventure's proves something too me... Sakurai is not afraid to utilize a character from the Rare era that Nintendo has tried to distance themselves from. She may be an assist trophy which is a bummer for her fans, but one thing is for sure she's getting more attention now than she has in a while.... what was the last game she was in? Star Fox Command?? I think... then she vanished and has been seemingly replaced at least as far as Star Fox Zero.....goes where we had a random new female counterpart to Fox.
What random new female? Are you talking about Katt? Cause shes been around since the 64 game.

Krystal wasn't in Zero because it was retelling the same story as the first game/64.

I don't think Nintendo is trying to distance themselves from Rare. If they were then why is Diddy still around and still using his pop guns and jetpack from 64? Not to mention how they are still using characters like Cranky, Dixie, Funky, Rambi, and Squawks.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
What random new female? Are you talking about Katt? Cause shes been around since the 64 game.

Krystal wasn't in Zero because it was retelling the same story as the first game/64.

I don't think Nintendo is trying to distance themselves from Rare. If they were then why is Diddy still around and still using his pop guns and jetpack from 64? Not to mention how they are still using characters like Cranky, Dixie, Funky, Rambi, and Squawks.

Huh... I forgot she was in Star Fox 64... it's been years since I played the OG 64 game and it completely slipped my mind.

Either way...I do think Nintendo played with the idea and we're just now starting to see them change their views. Yea Diddy is back now as well as Cranky, Funky, Dixie, etc. but Diddy did take a strange hiatus a little way's back and didn't really return to the DK series until DKCR same with Cranky. Funky and Dixie just recently returning in TF. It's certainly a strange coincidence that a vast majority of the Rare made characters have vanished from the games for a while... again though I do think Nintendo is starting to change their tune with some of these character's.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
Banjo in smash would be a dream!

.....Also, i take it that discord must be private

Krystal is also NOT in SF64!

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I would be mad if she used that jetbarrel. I mean, come on. Talk about missing the point. If you held a coconut gun to my head and said this is the only way Dixie is getting in Smash Bros ultimate I'd groan and take it. Because being in Smash Bros, even as a clone, is an event. It would protect her from going into the vault again. But Dixie using a jetpack instead of her ponytail to recover would be sooooooo dumb. Soooo dumb.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Dixie really depends on whether they want to bring in newcomers who they aren't classifying as strictly echo (like Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link) but who share moves with their closest counterpart.

For example, Dixie would almost have to have her helicopter spin, maybe a different dash attack and a Down Smash where she pounds with her hair. But there's no reason she couldn't have Diddy's tilts or aerials. Missed potential isn't a good argument when Ganondorf is sitting right there (even with his sword, there's a lot of magical potential left on the table), and a lot of the suggestions for Dixie come off as over-the-top for the sake of being unique...like turning her cute ponytail into Milia-type fighting hair, having hard gumballs turn into sticky traps and spawning living Animal Buddies to ride.

I don't see any reason they would force a character to either be 100% echo or 100% unique when a character of Dixie's pedigree can fall outside of that but still be easy to do and make a lot of people happy.

That, plus the demand for K. Rool and the all-but-meme that Sakurai has ignored Donkey Kong because of bias (if he's heard of the allegation he favors his own Kirby games, he's definitely heard this one), makes me think we have a solid chance at both DK Reps.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Dixie works fine as a semi-clone, but anything less and she’s just not Dixie. Her hair is a huge part of her character and should be a part of her move set.

That said, as a fan of both K Rool and Dixie, I would greatly prefer the former, and I think he’s more deserving. He might not be more relevant, but IMO he’s more iconic.

But - like the case with Impa and any other Zelda rep - I would be fine with any DK rep since it’s so under represented.

@Enchess Also Giygas would be cool. I’d like it if all 12 of the OG’s has their villain!
Don't get me wrong here because I love K. Rool, and I think his chances are higher than Dixie as it stands now.

But I don't think it's fair to say he's more deserving or iconic by any stretch. Dixie was the 2nd female character to ever star in her own Nintendo game, and has had playable roles in roughly 15 or so games now. Many of which were either starring, or co-starring.

While K. Rool is still the de facto Bowser of the DK series, the vast majority of his main appearances are in games that the player has to actually play the entire game to even encounter him (DK64 is the exception). It's different to say Ganondorf, or Bowser where you'll typically encounter the characters multiple times before the final battle. There are legitimately people out there who have played the games in which K. Rool has appeared but do not know who he is. And I think that hurts him a little.

At this point Dixie is overdue by at least 2 games and K. Rool by at least 1 though. We should be anticipating our 5th DK character now and debating whether it'll be Cranky, Funky, Jr or Frederik.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Hm, back as far as Melee I was always confused why only Donkey Kong was in the game. Where was Diddy? Or Dixie, Lanky, Tiny, Chunky for that matter? I hadn't even considered K. Rool at that point as villains in Smash were still a very rare thing back then.

When Brawl came around, we got Diddy, and I think that was enough for most people. He might have even been overdue as far as some were concerned. Dixie was part of the forbidden seven, but we don't know if it was as an original character, clone/semi-clone, or just remnants of when she and Diddy had been a duo character. K. Rool was only barely on the radar, as a dream pick but not one anyone remotely expected.

Then came Smash 4, where it felt like the roster had expanded to the point where 2 reps felt like too little for Nintendo's 4th best-selling franchise after Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda. 5th if you count Wii Sports/Fit/etc. Then it was a battle - the unlikely but heavily requested K. Rool, or the seemingly likely but somewhat less popular Dixie? Turns out we got neither, even with 20+ newcomers in that game including DLC. It's a shame, but you can't please everyone; Metroid got the same treatment, and Star Fox actually lost a rep.

And now here we are in Ultimate. The sentiment that it's by and large a "fanservice game" is very much agreed upon, after "Everyone is Here!" and the Ridley reveal. As we've all said before, this is a great sign for any character who's ever been a huge fan request, from Geno to Banjo to Isaac to K. Rool. The only problem is adding all the veterans took so much work that Sakurai even felt the need to say not to expect too many newcomers this time around. This is serving to breed more "competition" as the "slots" for potential newcomers are smaller than ever.

With all that being said though, I think, after a decade of waiting, this will be the time for DK fans. Whether that means they listened to the demand for K. Rool, they play it "safe" with Dixie, give us both (Dixie echo/semiclone, or maybe one as DLC), or they throw us a completely left-field curveball like Lanky we'll at the very least be getting another Donkey Kong character in this one.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Off-topic here, but someone mentioned K. Rool merchandise a few days ago, so I thought I'd let you guys know there's a few cartoon K. Rool figures available on eBay right now if anyone is interested. They're a little pricey for figures, but they're all we have for K. Rool right now.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Question for y'all. Been thinking about this and wanted other's thoughts on the idea.

Would you rather have K. Rool join the roster in Ultimate, but as a clone of some other character (Bowser, perhaps, with just a handful of impossible moves changed, like the flame breath and some shell-based attacks), or would you rather wait again until the NEXT Smash game (whenever that may happen) for the chance that he'd be unique?

Not a very realistic scenario, I know - if K. Rool ever does get in I'm near certain he'd be unique - but it's a hypothetical. Would you guys rather just take K. Rool as a clone now if it meant you didn't have to keep waiting, or would you take the chances of a reroll, with no certainty that the character would ever make it in at all or increase in relevancy between now and then?

I think it's pretty obvious now that Sakurai's vision is to never fully declone characters, so clone K. Rool would definitely be hard for me to swallow, as whatever moveset he debuts with, he'd largely be stuck with forever, and he deserves so much more than being a clone. On the other hand, now is probably his best chance at getting in, and if trends with the DK series don't change in the near future, this could also be his last chance.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Question for y'all. Been thinking about this and wanted other's thoughts on the idea.

Would you rather have K. Rool join the roster in Ultimate, but as a clone of some other character (Bowser, perhaps, with just a handful of impossible moves changed, like the flame breath and some shell-based attacks), or would you rather wait again until the NEXT Smash game (whenever that may happen) for the chance that he'd be unique?

Not a very realistic scenario, I know - if K. Rool ever does get in I'm near certain he'd be unique - but it's a hypothetical. Would you guys rather just take K. Rool as a clone now if it meant you didn't have to keep waiting, or would you take the chances of a reroll, with no certainty that the character would ever make it in at all or increase in relevancy between now and then?

I think it's pretty obvious now that Sakurai's vision is to never fully declone characters, so clone K. Rool would definitely be hard for me to swallow, as whatever moveset he debuts with, he'd largely be stuck with forever, and he deserves so much more than being a clone. On the other hand, now is probably his best chance at getting in, and if trends with the DK series don't change in the near future, this could also be his last chance.
"A clone character released early is forever a clone. A delayed character released later is eventually a unique character." -Shigeru Miyamoto.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

I don't think K. Rool fits any current characters to be a clone. There's just very little heavies and even less that K. Rool could take after in either body frame or moves.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't think K. Rool fits any current characters to be a clone. There's just very little heavies and even less that K. Rool could take after in either body frame or moves.
I don't think he'd really work with another character's moveset either. That's why having him be a clone would be so awful. It's just a hypothetical scenario. I know it's completely unrealistic. I'm just interested in the what-ifs.

StormC

Smash Hero
Don't get me wrong here because I love K. Rool, and I think his chances are higher than Dixie as it stands now.

But I don't think it's fair to say he's more deserving or iconic by any stretch. Dixie was the 2nd female character to ever star in her own Nintendo game, and has had playable roles in roughly 15 or so games now. Many of which were either starring, or co-starring.

While K. Rool is still the de facto Bowser of the DK series, the vast majority of his main appearances are in games that the player has to actually play the entire game to even encounter him (DK64 is the exception). It's different to say Ganondorf, or Bowser where you'll typically encounter the characters multiple times before the final battle. There are legitimately people out there who have played the games in which K. Rool has appeared but do not know who he is. And I think that hurts him a little.

At this point Dixie is overdue by at least 2 games and K. Rool by at least 1 though. We should be anticipating our 5th DK character now and debating whether it'll be Cranky, Funky, Jr or Frederik.
It's close but I'd give it to K. Rool. He was in the first game and has been in more of the series than Dixie has, and even if you see him less, his presence is felt through the Kremlings. Dixie went MIA from the series besides cameos and smaller roles between 1997 and 2014, while K. Rool was still the main villain of DK64, King Of Swing, and Jungle Climber (in all of which he appears throughout in cutscenes). Few people seriously considered that Dixie should appear before K. Rool in Smash until she was revealed for Tropical Freeze.

Also pre-Melee, when you're talking about Bowser's appearances in mainline games, he's still often the final boss waiting for you at the end. SMB1/Lost Levels and SM64 have him appear multiple times (technically through imposters in the NES games but I digress lol), but then you still have SMB3, SMW, and Yoshi's Island. But not really a fair comparison because Bowser is a mascot and people have treated him as such. I think Ridley is a better comparison; you meet him early on in Super Metroid, Prime 1, and Prime 3, but otherwise you don't bump into him until late in the game. He's on the boxart for Super Metroid, but so is K. Rool for DK64 (and DKC2 if you squint!). He has multiple boss battles in a lot of these games as well to raise his profile even more.

Last edited:

JomSpoons

Smash Cadet
I admittedly haven't played through the DKC games (Don't worry, I plan to in the near future) so I've never been on the K. Rool supporter boat. To be honest, for a while I thought K. Rool was a character that'd never happen, but I thought the same thing about Cloud and Ridley. I might not be a fan of the DKC games like many of you guys, but I know K. Rool's inclusion in Smash would make a lot of people happy. You guys have my support. Also, I think K. Rool has his best chance this time around, and don't be discouraged if he isn't in the base game of Ultimate, because I think he could easily be added as a DLC character.

Top Bottom