• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Despite what some people are claiming, I think King K. Rool is closer to "needs a nerf" territory than generic heavy. His B-Air is a pretty easy KO when edgeguarding, he can't be edgeguarded himself because of his propellerpack, he can land with his N-Air, if he buries you at a high percentage, you're done with a Smash attack, and his krown and blunderbuss are great tools as well. I think we may have gotten too much of a good thing and I'll surely enjoy it for now, but I'm expecting to have to work a little harder for the KOs in the future.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Despite what some people are claiming, I think King K. Rool is closer to "needs a nerf" territory than generic heavy. His B-Air is a pretty easy KO when edgeguarding, he can't be edgeguarded himself because of his propellerpack, he can land with his N-Air, if he buries you at a high percentage, you're done with a Smash attack, and his krown and blunderbuss are great tools as well. I think we may have gotten too much of a good thing and I'll surely enjoy it for now, but I'm expecting to have to work a little harder for the KOs in the future.
Huh, I guess I'm just bad at him then since I got edgeguarded by Pichu's DAir, during its unlock battle, which negated my copter completely and shoved me right down the blastline.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Does this mean that a heavy character can be top tier in a smash game?

THICC BOYS RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE UP!!!

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Oh we discussing K Rool here? because I'm ok with that. Anyways I'm thinking that down air into up smash or up air at high percents can be a good punish for those who are trying to ledge attack.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
So, I remembered this old picture I drew in the old thread:

So I thought I'd sorta reboot it to commemorate our Finest Hour!
IMG_20181209_140605759[1].jpg

(No color, just greyscale tho cuz I'm kinda lazy hehe)
It's kinda crazy to think about it. I drew that old picture back in my last year of middle school, and it was the first thing I drew in my first sketchbook. Now, I'm in my last year of high school, and my art has improved a bunch since then. And of course, K. Rool is BACK, and he's such a blast to play. It's been a wild ride, (Especially looking back on that Mii costume) but it's so awesome knowing that we made it in the end. Long Live the King!

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I played as K. Rool several times, and boy, is he fun to play as?! I love playing as King K. Rool, he is almost a juggernaut with his dashing belly attack since he doesn't seem to flinch, and I love his projectiles as well. I found him useful to play as him in Adventure mode. I guess he is my main now. I hope you are having fun with our king as well.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I'm seeing a lot of cries that he's overpowered but I really do think it's just people being unfamiliar with how Ultimate plays and how to counter K. Rool's playstyle. I've had similar thoughts of "wow that's broken" about characters like Meta Knight and Luigi after seeing some of the crazy stuff people have figured out, but I've kept my mouth shut because it's just too early to be calling for nerfs.

ALERT. ALL K. ROOL FANS GATHER! The question we have all been asking has been answered.

What is underneath K. Rool's golden belly in Smash Bros Ultimate?
The answer is nothing.

Apparently Sakurai has RETCONNED Paon k. Rool's fleshy belly!
I repeat, RETCONNED the fleshy belly.
https://twitter.com/AtlasOmegaAlpha/status/1070857578027147264

Scandalous!

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Yeah, the smash Community seems to be extra sensitive and quick on the draw when it comes to crying for nerfs.
I feel that Even while his kit makes him different and versatile, the typical weaknesses of a Heavy still shine through.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So I'm maining him now and he's simply the best.

Also :ultrichter::ultsimon::ultyounglink: can kiss this gut, sorry boys your garbage is coming back at you super hot!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So far, I've found that K. Rool has been really effective when it comes to unlocking characters. There are plenty of times where I've had trouble unlocking someone, like Diddy or Incineroar, but using K. Rool seemed to work really well for me.

I haven't had a chance to play as many of the characters (there's a LOT going on in this game), but so far, he's one of my favourites.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
So far, I've found that K. Rool has been really effective when it comes to unlocking characters. There are plenty of times where I've had trouble unlocking someone, like Diddy or Incineroar, but using K. Rool seemed to work really well for me.

I haven't had a chance to play as many of the characters (there's a LOT going on in this game), but so far, he's one of my favourites.
Same here. He'd become my go-to for unlocking. That extra bulk, good recovery, semi-spammable projectile and overall raw strength really comes in handy. Plus, it feels really good to meteor stomp foes and safely fly back up to the stage.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace

I've found a very similar trend actually; K. Rool and Simon Belmont are my go-to characters for dealing with the challengers. The AI, even at higher difficulties still has difficulty with their projectile game I've noticed, and then once you've racked up enough damage, you can just go for blood with a nice clean aerial usually. OR you can just use K. Rool's D-Throw to F-Smash since the AI doesn't get out like a player can.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
So 1 day after release this montage already popped up; pretty sick plays. He's BACK, and he's taking all his feral rage out on errybadi. Ever wonder why K. Rool has multiple spikes? It's because he is sending his enemies down into the deep, dark pit in which Nintendo tried to throw him into for the longest time.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Yes! Make them all feel your pain, K. Rool.

Make every single one of them fear that they too could be replaced by a wooden Andross.

Except Fox, Falco, and Wolf since I think that would feel awkward for the real Andross.

StormC

Smash Hero

I already unlocked the roster by Friday, but when I lost a rematch, I just used Ganondorf. He always kills them in five hits or less.

Ganondorf is definitely entering my regular play cycle along with K. Rool and Ridley, by the way. Villains unite!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
K. Rool's scales look amazing in his render but in-game I feel like he is particularly at the mercy of the lighting. And some stages make his scales look not so good.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So 1 day after release this montage already popped up; pretty sick plays. He's BACK, and he's taking all his feral rage out on errybadi. Ever wonder why K. Rool has multiple spikes? It's because he is sending his enemies down into the deep, dark pit in which Nintendo tried to throw him into for the longest time.
I was in a online Smash room, could beat anyone easily but K.Rool with Diddy. I love how busted he is.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

Yeah same here. I have done that too especially tonight when I re-matched against Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Little Mac, and Bowser. K. Rool is an absolute blast to play as. I enjoy every moment and I feel like I'm getting better each match. He is pure perfection.

I had an idea for a meme using TF2 Soldier in the Team Fabulous 2 video and my brother put the idea into action. I think it best describes us Kutthroats in the past few years. MFW K. Rool gets konfirmed for Smash.
received_380538362684466.jpeg

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
So I finally did it, I played as King K. Rool in an official Super Smash Bros. game and it's amazing!

First I played classic mode with Donkey Kong, I didn't expect to unlock K. Rool in particular, but at least I thought he would logically appear in his classic mode (which fortunately he does). If only I knew he could be the first unlock by playing Link's... but how well, I managed to unlock him with Captain Falcon (after a Spirit battle or regular fight I don't remember) then I immediately played as him in a 1 VS 1 no items level 9 CUP on Battlefield who was randomly chosen and happened to be Mario. His brutally powerful moves feel very satisfying to use and his occasional projectiles are useful too. After that I did a match with K. Rool against a friend who used Ganondorf and easily won (although it's mostly the fact he hasn't played Smash for a long time I think). His dash attack, Crownmerang, Blunderbuss, and other moves with armor make him very fun to use, and I'm glad a character I really wanted prior to his confirmation happened to feel very good to use too.

Fun fact, prior to his confirmation, I expected K. Rool's playstyle to be one of a character who doesn't like to be close to the opponent and attacks mostly at distance either with projectiles or rushes that cover a large distance in a short time while still being able to use his brutal physical strength to hit a close opponent in a pinch. Well, I was pretty bad at gessing K. Rool's final moveset, and part of what I described actually fits the Belmonts better, which by coincidence were revealed during the same Direct.

And can I say how much I love the Crocodile Cacophony remix? I got a preview of it during a fight and found it to sound pretty cool, so I was impatient and listened to it on YouTube and... how my goodness it's amazing. Listening to it more cleanly as well as the part I didn't hear during the battle... it's incredible.

Once again, thanks to everyone for supporting the big kroc. We saw him and the Kremlings as a major part of the Donkey Kong universe but their relevance in the modern Nintendo era was facing extinction, fortunately by raising our voices we managed to immortalize them as an imputable part of the DK series and by extention of Nintendo. His superb redesign, his fun moveset, and probably the new Gangplank Galleon and Crocodile Cacophony remixes would not have happened without us.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Hey, Kutthroats, good to see all of ya having a great time with the King. Although I sadly can't join the fun at the moment due to a lack of funds, I've been watching a bunch of videos of K. Rool, and boy, he really does look fun as heck to play. The King has truly returned!

Also, dropping a goofy K. Rool montage that I found here.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
never have i seen such fear in smash players then i have for when I use k rool's down throw and i love it
I imagine them behind their TV screen just frantically mashing on the sticks and buttons to get out before they get their teeth knocked out from F-Smash or straight-up wrecked by D-Smash, haha.

Also, for those who have not seen; looks like we've got our first patch coming up. Since it will affect replays, does this automatically mean that some balancing will be done I wonder?

Tubbers09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tubbers09
3DS FC
4811-7028-1398
Switch FC
5712-1549-9596
I imagine them behind their TV screen just frantically mashing on the sticks and buttons to get out before they get their teeth knocked out from F-Smash or straight-up wrecked by D-Smash, haha.

Also, for those who have not seen; looks like we've got our first patch coming up. Since it will affect replays, does this automatically mean that some balancing will be done I wonder?
Really hope there aren't any balance changes yet. The game hasn't been out for even a week yet. Hoping they have some sort of quick fix for the online in the update with a more permanent fix for it in the pipeline.
I really don't think K Rool is too good or anything of the sort. He is a brand new character so people will need some time to figure out counterplay to everything he can do. In time, I think people will be able to get around his projectiles better and probably even challenge his recovery more offstage. Also he still has your usual heavyweight problems

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Sad day fellow cutthroats. I know how genuine Smash 4 Bayo fans feel. My friends are all mad at me for maining K. Rool, saying he's broken and overpowered. They won't hear it when I say the meta is young and it's too early to call anyone broken. I just want to play the boss I've loved since I first met him when I was 10.

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Sad day fellow cutthroats. I know how genuine Smash 4 Bayo fans feel. My friends are all mad at me for maining K. Rool, saying he's broken and overpowered. They won't hear it the boss I've loved since I first met him when I was 10.when I saw the meta is young and it's too early to call anyone broken. I just want to play
Now you know how Bayo mains feel. Don't worry, once they keep playing with you, they can discover a lot of ways to exploit K Rool's weaknesses. Also, you might want to lose on purpose every once in a while.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Now you know how Bayo mains feel. Don't worry, once they keep playing with you, they can discover a lot of ways to exploit K Rool's weaknesses. Also, you might want to lose on purpose every once in a while.
It doesn't help that ALL my favorite characters are projectile heavy. They bum rushed my villager when I pulled him out, having Vietnam flashbacks of my Smash 4 villager in Highschool (Which is still just as campy as ever, might I add.), and during the last match I got to play this night, I tried to throw them a bone by not picking K. Rool... and instead going Duck Hunt, to which they still accused me of being an obnoxious projectile camper. I actually did lose most of the matches we played tonight, but I guess the mere act of battling my Rool grinds their gears. I'll still play him though. I love him and I agree that they'll adapt and learn to beat him, or they'll stay mad. But I'll mix up my characters too.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't help that ALL my favorite characters are projectile heavy. They bum rushed my villager when I pulled him out, having Vietnam flashbacks of my Smash 4 villager in Highschool (Which is still just as campy as ever, might I add.), and during the last match I got to play this night, I tried to throw them a bone by not picking K. Rool... and instead going Duck Hunt, to which they still accused me of being an obnoxious projectile camper. I actually did lose most of the matches we played tonight, but I guess the mere act of battling my Rool grinds their gears. I'll still play him though. I love him and I agree that they'll adapt and learn to beat him, or they'll stay mad. But I'll mix up my characters too.
I get that from my friends too, but it's justified. My friends got really hate when I play Wario in smash 4. It wasn't because I was dominating with Wario (Wario was so mediocre in that game). It was because I mained Wario in Brawl, I always got the Smash ball and win every game because WarioMan is such an amazing final smash.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I've been noticing lately that a part of the Smash community is already declaring King K. Rool "OP". This feels like Little Mac all over again. Can't we wait a bit longer before screaming "NERF! NERF! NERF!"? I'd rather other characters get buffed instead of ones that scrubs can't deal with being nerfed. This mentality of wanting your hand held and begging for a character to be nerfed instead of learning to adapt was bad for Smash 4, and if it continues, it will negatively impact Ultimate's longevity as well.

tl;dr:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I've been noticing lately that a part of the Smash community is already declaring King K. Rool "OP". This feels like Little Mac all over again. Can't we wait a bit longer before screaming "NERF! NERF! NERF!"? I'd rather other characters get buffed instead of ones that scrubs can't deal with being nerfed.
K. Rool is just a noob crusher, every fighting game gets one. They should just pick up a swordsman if they're so inclined, most give K. Rool a headache.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
K. Rool is just a noob crusher, every fighting game gets one. They should just pick up a swordsman if they're so inclined, most give K. Rool a headache.
I feel like every character in this game has trouble with swordsmen. and they are 1/3 of the cast right now.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I've been noticing lately that a part of the Smash community is already declaring King K. Rool "OP". This feels like Little Mac all over again. Can't we wait a bit longer before screaming "NERF! NERF! NERF!"? I'd rather other characters get buffed instead of ones that scrubs can't deal with being nerfed. This mentality of wanting your hand held and begging for a character to be nerfed instead of learning to adapt was bad for Smash 4, and if it continues, it will negatively impact Ultimate's longevity as well.

tl;dr:
You can definitely get at least an impression of who's good in a game in a week. The fact is that King K. Rool has many of the benefits of being heavy, while also lacking many of the weaknesses. Add his impressive back air, his armor, and his throw combos and he's almost guaranteed to be at least high tier.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

K. Rool + Regigigas Spirit + That Mario Rock form thing = A really easy Spirit Battle lol

He may move about as slow as frozen dirt, but he can't be KO'ed until upper 200% unless the opponent has 'Launch easier' in which you can take up to 120% before it starts getting dangerous. But with increased defense, harder to launch, and no flinching, K. Rool tanks so well that Ive started unlocking spirits much easier.

StormC

Smash Hero
I was having trouble with the Pauline Spirit battle (like everyone) and I was about to just drop it and come back with K. Rool...

...until she SD'd.

D

Deleted member

I was having trouble with the Pauline Spirit battle (like everyone) and I was about to just drop it and come back with K. Rool...

...until she SD'd.
Lucky...best I got was Mario self destructing once. I feel like thats the only way to beat it since DK is huge and faster than normal and Peach just runs around avoiding you. Either that or I just have to get a lucky bAir spike with K rool or something to take her out while she's running.

Top Bottom