• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wonder if K.Rool is gonna be heavier than Bowser. He sure looks more defensive with his Specials. He also doesn't look all too much bigger than DK, but I guess that's part of why he gotta play the coward, as in DKC2 it was also clear that DK is clearly stronger in canon than K.Rool.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Super late to the thread but ABOUT TIME!!!

I was legit marking out harder than I did with Ridley. It's about bloody time we get another DK rep and a villain. K Rool's iconic name will go down in history being one of the new fighters

Congrats everyone!

T!t!

Smash Cadet
I prefer the inclusion of K.Rool over Ridley being in Smash Ultimate. It's fine getting both, they were highly demanded and have their role in their respective series. Glad to see K.Rool with many iconic moves although I'm not sure if the entirety of his moveset doesn't feel a bit wonky.

Btw: Could it be that K.Rool belly is an invincible area during his dash attack? I dont think his dash attack overall has superarmor but the belly-invincibility sounds kinda plausible to me.

Now that we got K.Rool, the DK franchise only needs Dixie as another newcomer and then the series is finally well represented in Smash.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Right, now I've had some time to collect myself and put on Gangplank Galleon as background music...

...today was the best direct I've ever sat through. That's in no small part due to K Rool being revealed, and I'll get to that later, but there was so much good stuff here. The Castlevania cinematic was amazing, and I've a lot of respect for the series even if it wasn't top of my list. The echoes we got are solid; I'm glad to see Dark Samus about even if they might've had a little more they could do. We got wonderful news regarding stages (Yes, FoD!) and the options look sick. I'm especially looking forward to the music being series based, so that I can choose from the full catalogue of DK music for whichever becomes my go to Omega/Battlefield form. Everything the game is doing makes the title feel more than earned, in my opinion.

Now, King K Rool...

Truth be told, I have not played the original DKC games, or DK64. Indeed, the only game I've faced King K Rool in is Jungle Climber. That gave me a recognition of the character, and enough to have a look at his character thread here in the years before Smash 4 was released. And K Rool is a fantastic character, with an incredible set of bossfights and a lot of personality. Since then, K Rool has been my biggest want for inclusion - I like bad guys, I like wacky, zany characters and I always felt K Rool would have the sort of play that I'd mesh with. This prompted me to get DKCR on the 3DS, and later DKCTF on the switch - this character spawned a love affair with a new set of games I'd never have experienced otherwise.

Cut through to todays trailer - and honestly, the game is now perfect to me. I love the design, I love the moveset, I love everything. Speculation doesn't matter to me - add Shrek, Donkey, and **** In Boots as a Pokemon Trainer clone for all that I care - because I've got all that I ever wanted in this game.

I'll catch you all on For Glory, rocking one of my new mains in that glorious Krusha alt.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
First off, I don't personally care about K. Rool. I never really got into the DK series. I've been a die-hard Ridley supporter myself since the first Prime in 2002, so you can imagine how ecstatic I was with his reveal at E3.
With that being said... you K. Rool supporters deserve this, and I am so happy for you to make it along-side us Ridley supporters. You've fought just as long and hard for this win as we have.

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
And I thought Nintendo ****ed up by letting that Simon thing slip, but nope this legit caught me off guard! It doesn't even matter if you're a fan of K Rool himself or not, it just feels right for DK to finally get the representation it deserves and for Smash to get more villains!

D

Deleted member

Did BKuppa666 say anything yet? Would love to hear from the leader that brought us, here. Our other leader besides the king, wherever he is, hope he's happy and enjoying the news.

Also Space Detective sorry about Ashley she will get her chance someday!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When you realize K. Rool has specifically upgraded his blunderbuss to not backfire when he sucks up his own kannonballs...

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I'm so happy K.Rool is in the game finally. I love the reveal trailer, it's my favorite so far. I think k.rool's design is great, it's a mixture of the old and new one. Sakurai took inspiration from the Country games and DK64 for his moveset, thank you Sakurai, you really put effort into the character and the moveset!
Now I just hope Dixie Kong is in the game as playable character as well and I'm 150% satisfied. Even if she's not in the game, I'll be happy to play k.rool but still the roster would feel kinda unfinished to me. I mean Metroid has four reps now, why not DK too?
Please Sakurai :-)

D

Deleted member

Time to be heading off, See you guys again eventually, but time for a break. I'll look forward to what's to come. And just want to say one last thing.

Oh what a day what a glorious day, our King K. Rool is here, in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Enjoy the rest of your day krew, also Klaptrap, and Banna gun, look great.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
From expecting K. Rool as a no-brainer unlock in Melee to rallying everyone I could to vote for him in the Ballot, I can honestly say I’ve finally won one of the longest battles of my professional career. Thank god it’s over. I couldn’t take much more of this.

I am so proud of us. Seeing K. Rool on the official forum list is still so surreal.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wish I wasn't at work to celebrate more. So this is what it feels like after 17 YEARS of BEGGING and pleading. I was at work watching live and at first when they said "items, assists, pokemon" then showed Donkey and Diddy I thought K.Rool was gonna come out as an assist trophy. I was about to be SEVERELY disappointed. I felt my heart drop. Then they showed a Klaptrap assist and I was like "K.Rool is confirmed now that's a dead giveaway. Out of all the assists you could've chosen like Squawks, Cranky, Funky, or Rambi you chose Klaptrap?" then we get to the end and here the stomps then see all the characters facing their villains. I KNEW it was time. I started screaming and jumping up and down until tears came to my eyes at work. I have never been so happy in my life. While I was pretty pessimistic here in this thread I will gladly admit I shouldn't have been as much as I was and want to thank EVERYONE in this thread for making the wait that much easier. I see no need to continue to be on this board so this may be a farewell fellow Kutthroats!

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Holy ****! I can't believe it finally happened! Well guys this it, I will join many of you guys on that getaway vacation, but I will stick around to support other characters like Dixie Kong, Banjo, Crash, and a few others. I am disappointed that Ashley is not getting in as playable though. But, I always had a gut feeling that the King would make it into Smash alongside with Ridley and it finally happened! I want to thank everyone for all the support and I love you guys, this is one of the best communities to ever be a part in and I will always be a proud supporter of the grand King K. Rool!

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:

After years and years of our effort, we've finally done it. . . My anxiety at an all time high during the assist trophy real aside. . . Our King has returned. Years and years of support from us old-timers (and new alike of course), finally paid off. Let us rejoice.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
So there's the Klaptrap reveal but did you guys notice they were playing DK music for a long time before they started the cinematic? And don't even tell me you called the red eye thing. I asked you guys twice and you shot me down that it wasn't a clue.

But honestly the biggest change? Bigger than K. Rool and Ridley?

Going from Settings, to Stage Selection, and THEN Characters. That honestly puts more strategy into the game than people asked for. (That's good!)

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
Four years ago I made a video long gone, a song "Where are you K ROOL" in the style of WHERE ARE YOU CHRISTMAS?

I gotta find it.

I'm super happy. No words.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I'm still not convinced the "red eye" thing was a clue, but perhaps I overreacted saying it was disrespectful, haha. It could also have meant "Bloody Tears" for Simon/Richter as well. Or both.

Still, we're officially in the subforum now. It's very surreal. I'll definitely be a lot less active on this forum now, but I'll still of course check in to support other characters. But now there's just such a huge weight off my chest, anyone else from here on out is icing on the cake.

winged hero

Smash Rookie
Am quite excited. I liked how it looked like it was over at the end and then he showed up. And how they showed all the rivals and the hero's off before he was revealed. Also I wonder if that was his final smash at the end with his 64 tower?

Untouch

Smash Master
Based on fotage, I can see K Rool being Mid to Mid High tier. Obviously it depends on a lot of things though, but he has:
  1. An actual decent recovery, at least it seems, could be easy to gimp but we'll have to see.
  2. Actual projectile options, Dedede has the gordo but it is SO easy to deal with, it doesn't look as if you can hit the cannonball back which makes it 8x better than gordo alone. Dedede hits in back in the trailer but I don't know if that was a subtle cut where he sucked it up and spit it back out.
  3. A counter. This is SERIOUSLY underrated, this makes recovery SO much safer for K Rool, this alone makes him better than all of the other heavyweights.
  4. He looks ABOUT DK speed, DK is very fast for a heavyweight. Nothing really to directly compare here so I don't know unfortunately.
Would like to see more obviously but I think it's looking good.

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
It's official, K.Rool and Ridley no longer have newcomer speculation threads. We have entered a new era.

Thundross

Smash Rookie
That trailer was probably my favourite out of all of the 4 and Ultimate ones so far. So hyped to have both K. Rool and Ridley in this! I'm leaning more towards K. Rool as my main, but I'm definitely going to play the hell out of both characters.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Long live THE KING. I'm so happy to be posting here.

I've been lurking for a while - rejoining from the Smash 4 days. I've supported K. Rool and Dixie since I found out there were other people who loved the Donkey Kong Country games as much as I do. Looking forward to the horde of gameplay videos and moveset analysis.

Masahiro Sakurai outdid himself. Did anyone think the trailer fakeout was possibly an allusion to the "Kredits" fakeout in the original DKC? I know people like to imagine that as Sakurai trolling - and maybe he was - but I like to think that it was a natural fit given K. Rool's history.

I'm a teacher and had a low-key workshop this morning so I couldn't devote my full attention to the direct. Instead I had it playing on mute in the corner of my laptop. I almost cried as I saw what was unfolding.

I composed myself though.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
congratulations k rool fans!

you’ve waited years for this, and finally you guys have been rewarded for your patience

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hey, congrats you guys. That reveal was hype. The trailer is hype. And most of all, the character himself, the King, is hype.

And also? King Dedede being Sakurai's self insert is hilarious. Dude voices him, it was like he was just laughing at everyone before being clobbered hahaha

Luigi player

Smash Master
That trailer was F***IN INSANE. They nailed the animation, the silliness, the inside jokes and that troll were perfect. And the action... Man it had me HYPED AS F**K
True, and don't forget the music! It really peaked at the end of the reveal and it's just soooo epic and nostalgic. :love:

Top Bottom