• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I understand why you are confused.

In Kirby's games, after SSBM, Kirby have a hat that is a tribute to the Ice Climbers.

cool, isn't it?:)
Ice Kirby was always my favorite...More specifically the power that surrounds his entire body with Ice, not the Ice Breath one

smashbot226

Smash Master
:grin:

RIIIIIIGHT...

Next thing you know, the next Kirby game will have a FIRE Hat that looks like a red cap with an M on it!

On topic, Dedede is in, whether I hate him or not, and I don't.

He's a freaking penguin...

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land
:grin:

RIIIIIIGHT...

Next thing you know, the next Kirby game will have a FIRE Hat that looks like a red cap with an M on it!

On topic, Dedede is in, whether I hate him or not, and I don't.

He's a freaking penguin...
I won't be surprised, really.

after Pit was announced in SSBB way back then, The Kirby games after that had a new Angle hat (called Cupid in the English version for some reason)

coincidence?? I think not.;)

on topic: DeDeDe is cool:)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder how will the announcer say King De De De when he is picked.
Dae Dae Dae is how the Japanese Pronouce it...

Dee Dee Dee is how the Americans Pronouce it...

Most likely the Japanese, but they change it like Koopa

the grim lizard

Smash Master
The resurfacing of the Olimar thread made me want to bring this back as well...

They will likely call him "Dae Dae Dae"...even though I refuse to pronounce it like that. It's just like how on all of the voice stuff for Metroid Samus is called Samus "Aaron" instead of UhRAN...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's Dae Dae Dae officially in Japan

and

Dee Dee Dee officially in America

TidalSpiral

Smash Journeyman
Felt like posting my special move set for Dedede, just in case people like to read / speculate that junk such as I.

Standard B - Belly Whack - This I imagine as a charge-up move, while you hold it he waddles back and forth with his eyes closed and starts glowing. With little charge he barely hops forward but with a lot he flings himself forward and in the air slightly, blowing airborne enemies far away.

Side B - Penguin Slide - Quite simply, Dedede dashes forward and lands on his stomach, sliding and flapping his arms for a distance.

Up B - Rocket Blast - When used, a fuse would be seen lit up on Dedede's back. A second later there is a big boom that flings him upwards and at an arc towards wherever he's facing.

Down B - Birthday Surprise - Since he loves food so much this just made sense to me. Similar to Game & Watch, he pulls out a big pink frosted cake with candles and holds it. If someone hits his face, the cake splatters all over them and makes them move 1/3 speed for three or four seconds. If someone hits him in the back while he's holding it then Dedede himself gets splattered.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
What happened. This topic is behind. Bump

Hoping he's a hidden character. Dedede 4 Brawl.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Dedede will probably be one of the last characters to be confirmed, since theres already 2 Kirby characters.

DragoonFenix15

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed that MetaKnight, as well as Kirby, have the majority of their B moves borrowed from various copy powers in the Kirby series. For example

Kirby---
B-up = Cutter
B-down = Stone
B-side = Hammer

MetaKnight -
B-up = Wing (Shuttle Loop is one of the combos you can perform with it, and the animations in KSS and Brawl are EXACTLY the same. I was so excited when I saw this!)
B = Tornado (This should be an obvious one)
B-side and B-down I'm unsure of. B-side is one of his moves from Amazing Mirror I think, and B-down I still don't know how it works exactly. Maybe it's based on the Mirror copy ability?

Anyway, DeDeDe would be no different
his B move could be inhale/suck like people have been saying (Great idea!) and would therefore be like the Throw ability
He could also have Hammer (duh), but it could be more in-depth than Kirby's simpler Hammer ability.
But I ALSO think he should have Hi-Jump and Ball.

Hi-Jump would be recovery, and would look exactly like how he jumps when you fight him in the games anyway, complete with the stars appearing where he falls. This is sort of what the Hi Jump copy ability does anyway.

Ball would be, well... hilarious. And an excellent Canvas Curse reference. I'm not exactly how it would work (Rollout / Sonic Spindash clone? Would he bounce and therefore easily KO himself?), I just really want to see DeDeDe rolled up into a ball / giant version of his head, a la Canvas Curse. That was the best part of Canvas Curse for me XD

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Yes, but considering the Kirby series is not going to get more than 3 reps ( Kirby, King Dedede and Metaknight) it's more than likely King Dedede will be revealed later on, being the last introduced character of his series.

-Knight
(looks at Metaknight's delayed profile)

yeah, considering that was done to Metaknight, we won't see Dedede for a long, long time

dedede for brawl

Stado

Smash Apprentice
While I'm all for King Dedede being in Brawl and wholehearted believe he is indeed already a part of its roster, the fact that Kirby seems to retain his [craptastic] mallet/hammer from Melee retracts from Dedede's uniqueness. This is especially true since they both belong to the same series/franchise of video games.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
While I'm all for King Dedede being in Brawl and wholehearted believe he is indeed already a part of its roster, the fact that Kirby seems to retain his [craptastic] mallet/hammer from Melee retracts from Dedede's uniqueness. This is especially true since they both belong to the same series/franchise of video games.
Kirby doesn't have his hammer, he has the monkey guys hammer...

THey just look the same...

Besides, Dedede would use it as a weapon while kirby uses it as one of his attacks (1)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You do think they would change it to something else though if they would add Dedede...

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Just like they changed Ike's sword to something else since Meta Knight, Marth, and Link already have one...

Stado

Smash Apprentice
I didn't mean "his" hammer, as in Dedede's. I was saying that Kirby's hammer (his side B move), while craptastic, retracts from Dedede having a hammer, also. And while the fact that the hammers are indeed different in appearance and function (somewhat) from one another, my earlier statement still holds true.

Which is not to say that such a fact all too lessens Dedede's uniqueness or appeal. The Ice Climbers have mallets, too, as I'm sure you all know. It's quite aright to have two (four?) characters use hammers in some way; look at the amount of sword users already in this game.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Kirby has a hammer, you say? Too much like ICs, you say??

I give you...a moveset that draws from his movesets in game, is true to Dedede's character, and best of all uses the mallet in a unique way...with pictures!

Enjoy -

STATISTICS

(I'll just use Eaode's stats because they're pretty good.)

Jump:

Size:

Weight:

Speed/Agility:

Strength:

Recovery:

Fall Speed:

Ability to Combo:

Ability to KO:

King Dedede will have two midair jumps (for three total). His jump can be held down and he will become inflated. At this point, he will become similar to Peach's float, but it will act more like Mario's cape in Super Mario World. He can bob up and down, and the player can control the movement with the control stick.

He will slowly descend more and more; so you can't do this for a long period of time. Although, you're basically guaranteed to recover if you're horizontally above the stage when you're knocked off. He can bounce if he touches the ground or a character. He can get out of the float by doing another attack, being attacked by another player, or by letting go of the jump button. After doing the float, D3 has no more jumps, regardless of what jump he began with.

WEAK ATTACKS

Neutral A Combo

Description:
Triple D alternates between slapping the opponent with one fin and swinging his mallet with the other hand.

Forward Tilt

Description:
D3 will push his mallet out like a pool cue to keep the opponent at bay. It will briefly stun the opponent; so it could possibly be followed up by a dash attack or a dash grab. Less affective at low percentages.

Up Tilt

Description:
D3 swings his hammer around his head continuously in a propeller-like fashion (looks like he's swinging a sling) as long as A is held down. Wind-down time is slow, and he is very open to attack from the sides.

Down Tilt

Description:
While crouched, D3 will swing his mallet back-handed in an arc shape, almost like he's doing the Breast Stroke, only with a hammer. (This is basically exactly like Ice Climbers' dtilt.)

Dash Attack

Description:
This will be Dedede's classic run and lunge. He will be running and during the attack will fall on his face and slide a good distance. The attack will strike the opponent during the first half of the animation, and the animation sort of looks like Captain Falcon's >b when he misses the opponent. D3's dash attack is actually a useful dash attack, unlike most character's.

STRONG ATTACKS

Forward Smash

Description:
This move comes straight from Kirby 64 (one time D3 is actually playable). As this attack is charged, D3 will hold his mallet behind him and wind up like he does in Kirby 64. Then, he will release a powerful hammer slam with a star shooting out. There is a lot of downtime for this attack; so there is a tradeoff . It would be a finishing move, and could not be followed up with combos. The beginning of this move is very different, but the final part of the attack is very similar to Ice Climbers' fsmash.

Up Smash

Description:
Triple D holds his hammer straight up and some small stars come out. The star animation/damage is similar to Zelda's utilt. This attack is good for juggling and starting combos as it will make opponents fall at an angle within reach of Dedede. The animation of the mallet will be similar looking to IC's utilt.

Down Smash

Description:
D3 does a very quick hammer slam in front of him; he then immediately strikes behind him going directly back with his mallet. The front strike to back strike is very smooth and very quick. This can be repeated to make a very affective fast attack. Doing this would be similar to DK's vB attack. This is a modified version of the attack below, which only attacks in front. Stars could also come out, but they would not occur every time.

While this picture looks similar to the one above in the fsmash, the animation in Brawl would be very different and the affects would be quite different, like those in the Kirby games.

AERIAL ATTACKS

Neutral Aerial

Description:
D3 spins around once in a 360 with his mallet out. This attack would look similar Kirby's >B in the air, but its affects would be more similar to DK's fair. It can spike if sweet-spotted. Opponents down quickly at a sharp angle (direction depends on the point at which the opponent was hit).

Forward Aerial

Description:
D3 exhales a breath of air at the opponent. This attack has a lot of priority and a lot of knock back but no damage. It would be used to interrupt an oncoming strong attack and can deflect (or veer off) some types of projectiles.

Up Aerial

Description:
D3 points upward and goes upward a very short distance and attacks upward with his beak. This attack is good for juggling, but it doesn't have a lot of power to it.

Down Aerial

Description:
Dedede swings his hammer down in a half moon type arc, much like marth's dair. This move isn't particularly useful for anything. It's best used short-hopped and close to the ground.

Back Aerial

Description:
D3 extends his legs and kicks backwards very similar to what Kirby does.This can be a very good edge guard, but it doesn't knock the opponent back as far. He doesn't "kick" his feet out, though; he just extends them. So, there is no animation after it is pressed. It's almost like a backwards sex kick.

SPECIAL ATTACKS

Neutral B

Name: Inhale

Description:
Yes, Triple D has Kirby's classic move. Why? Because from those games, he also has this ability. He cannot swallow or copy but can only cause damage by shooting the the opponent out as a warp star. This essentially acts as a second grab, much like Bowser's >B. Triple D can decide which side and to some extent the angle that the opponent shoots out. This could possibly be useful for getting an opponent off the edge or for leaving them dazed momentarily for a follow-up attack.

Side B

Name: Mallet-rang

Description:
This attack is much like Captain America's Shield, only a little slower. D3 throws his mallet forward and it spirals at the opponent. The mallet has a completely horizontal trajectory. If it makes a hit, it will return to him, just like a boomerang. If the mallet does not hit the opponent, it will continue to go forward and not return, unlike Link's Boomerang. If this happens, it will take one or two seconds for him to use a mallet attack again, similar to Jiggly's rest downtime, only a little faster.

Up B

Name: Hammer Slam

Description:

Triple D will go up slightly and then down for about 2 seconds or until he hits the ground. He will have his hammer out for attack when he does this. This attack will be similar to Kirby's up-B. When he hits the ground, a star will come out. D3 jumps directly vertically and there is no horizontal movement with this move whatsoever.

Down B

Name: Penguin Bomb (that was a good name, Eaode...)

Description:
Yes, two other characters have it, but Dedede needs it, and it will be different. I promise. In any case, Triple D will rise to the air and slam to the ground on his bum. When he lands, two stars come out, one on either side, which also hurt the opponent. The twist here is that while the other two characters simply jump up and come straight down, Triple D has more control over it. It's not quite as quick as these other two, but it mostly goes in an arc shape. The angle and distance can be controlled during the move, much like Yoshi's eggs.

Don't tell me his specials are too similar...you know he's going to have them!

GRABS

Grab Attack

Description:
D3's grab will not be like Yoshi's. He will simply grab them with his free hand and clobber them on the top of the head with his mallet for his attack.

Forward Throw

Description:
D3 will set the opponent down and hold his mallet sideways. Then, he will swing and follow through like he was teeing off to send them forward.

Up Throw

Description:
This is a simple toss upwards. It's light enough and quick enough to juggle the opponent and to start a combo.

Down Throw

Description:
Dedede will bury the opponent in the dirt with the top of his mallet. They will pop up and fly away; so this isn't particularly useful for anything other than just mixing things up.

Back Throw

Description:
Triple D will lightly toss the opponent back and then follow through hard with his mallet like he's hitting a homerun. This is a great KO move if you're near the edge.

MISC.

Final Smash
Eaode's was good, but I'll modify it slightly

Description:

Dedede will get the Star Rod from Kirby's Adventure. The star at the tip is slightly larger than your average Star Rod. This Rod is a temporary item, and Dedede can shoot giant stars out of it. The stars range in size from Bowser-sized to as big as GigaBowser. Opponents can avoid the stars, but it may be difficult. Damage/Knock back for any star that hits an opponent will be magnified to its size accordingly.

Running

Description:
Dedede will run with his mallet out like so:

Kirby Hat

Description:
Yes, if Kirby copies Dedede, his ability really will not change much but he cannot copy anyone else. Instead, he gets a sort of upgraded spit attack, which many Kirby fans might find beneficial. At least he is no worse than if he was fighting another Kirby...

------------

Next order of business: A Dedede stage. (Although, I personally think it'd just be Fountain of Dreams...)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That whole "Dedede can't be in because Ice Climbers have a hammer" thing was the worst argument for any character yet...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think his swallow spit thing should be charging but the person can escape if you charge for too long...

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
My moveset

King Dedede

Weight: 4.1
Height: 3.7(a little shorter then Link. Rememeber, Kirby is 8')
Jump: 3.8
Speed:1.8
Power:3.75

Standard attacks

A:Swing hammer
A A:Backswing

Strong

>A Overhead hammer-Dedede swings his hammer overhead
^A Swat Hammer-Dedede swings his hammer upward as if sawting a fly (much like Marth's ^A). Helps during summer
VA Sweep Hammer: Dedede sweeps his hammer across the ground

Smash

>A Hammer Flip -Swings his hammer like a golf club. POWERFUL (Kirby's >Y in Super Star)
^A Overhead smash: Look out foes from above. Dedede does a mighty opver head swing
vA: Round-sweep hammer: Dedede sweeps his hammer in front of him and behind him

Specials

B Wind-up Hammer: (from Kirby 64) Dedede swings his hammer above his head (to charge) and them comes with a mighty one handed hammer slam
^B Jump Hammer: Dedede jumps up with his hammer above his head and come down hard. So hard it leaves a little star. He is also resistant to flinching during this move (from verious Kirby games, when yopu fight Dedede)
VB Suction: Dedede sucks in a victum and shots them out as a star. Making the player a projectile. While it's powerful, the star-ed player is invincible. So it wont help shotting them into an explosive items or foe's attack(various Kirby games)
>B Hammer Throw: Dedede throws his hammer foward. It's a powerful, slow moving projectile. It luckily comes back to Dedede though(One of Kirby's Hammer skills in Super Statr)

Air

A Giant Swing: : A foward swip with the hammer(from Super Star)
>A Ultragiant Swing:Much like Kirby's twilting sword attack (Meta-Knight's A air he does in Trailer 2) Dedede swings the hammer in a circular motion
^A Sky Jab: Dedede punches upward. Great for juggling
<A Backswing hammer: Dedede does a full 360 and nails foes with his hammer.
VA: Belly Flop: Look out below! Dedede hits foes with his belly on the way down

Throws

Grab: Dedede grabs a foe: Short/Med
Z Hammer hit: Hits foes over the head with his hammer

> Belly Smack: Juts his belly outward to smack the foe
V Sumo pin: Dedede jumps up to pin them down. This is going to hurt in the morning
^ Upward Toss: With one hand( :o) Dedede hurls his foes upward
< Back hurl:With one hand, Dedede hurls his foe backwards

Running
Trip attack: Dedede trips and slids foward to hit the foe (Used in numerous Kirby games)

Synopsis: While Dedede may not be as heavy or as strong as other heavy weights, he still has one thing over them. Recovery. While lighter, he can inflate himself to do 3 extra jumps. In fact, Dedede is a good jumper, and has a little less gravity then other characters(similar to Kirby). Of course, don't take him to lightly. While few of his attacks are resistant to flintching, and not as strong, his hammer packs a mightly wallop, sending foes flying. He is still slow though, so don't expect much. Utilize his powerful smash and special attacks, an d foes will fear your prowess.

Top Bottom