• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede yay or nay

Zeio

Smash Apprentice
The Main "villan" in the older kirby games.

I Say yay just because we need some more bad guys in smash.

Cleffa

Smash Rookie
In the past I would say yay right away, but now that I think about it... naay... there are so many other characters deserving his slot...

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Lord_Deathborne said:
No. We already have Meta Knight.
Kirby CAN have more than two characters, and Dedede is very big in Kirby games. I say yay.

Scarablord

Smash Rookie
I say yay. He's important to the Kirby series and, as Iggy K says, he shouldn't be ignored just because Meta Knight is also in there.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure they can give him moves, he has lots of potential for a moveset, if Falcon, IC's and G&W got original moves, why can't Dedede?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
DeDeDe has a hammer and can float like Kirby, that's more than enough to work with for a moveset. yay, he should be in this because he is Kirby's MAIN villain,not Metaknight.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
NAY - godda*n Penguin thing.. Aren't his moves stolen from Kirby? Dedede is like the weirdest thing ever... I guess he must be popular with the Japanese kids...

Besides? There are plenty of ACTUAL villains that Nintendo can choose from. Dedede is like a wannabe badguy.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
He trained so he could be like Kirby to fight him. He has potential to be his own character like I said, HE HAS A HAMMER. That automatically makes him not a clone of Kirby. Yes, he is weird but we've seen MUCH weirder, he's also a funny character too.

ACTUAL villains to choose from? King DeDeDe isn't the greatest bad guy, but he tries. He's one of the bad guys from one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, which makes him a good choice for Brawl.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Krytha said:
NAY - godda*n Penguin thing.. Aren't his moves stolen from Kirby? Dedede is like the weirdest thing ever... I guess he must be popular with the Japanese kids...

Besides? There are plenty of ACTUAL villains that Nintendo can choose from. Dedede is like a wannabe badguy.
There are plenty of other weird things, I think G&W, Pikachu, Yoshi and Kirby are weirder, but you're right, he is pretty weird, and actual villains that could be added? Ridley, Wolf and Skull Kid are all I can really think of right now for actual villains with a chance to get in, he has a lot of potential for a moveset, how is a giant penguin a clone of an 8 inch puffball, but I guess the same thing could've been said for GDorf and Falcon, but that will proably be fixed. I don't really even think he's evil, so I guess that does make him wannabe, but there probably will be one more Kirby, and the only person IMO with the closest chance would be Rick.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
In that Kirby 64 game, King DeDeDe decides to help Kirby which proves he's not totally evil. Metaknight doesn't seem all that evil to me, he has honor.

I'd rather see King DeDeDe over all those guys that Iggy K named actually.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Having a hammer makes him NOT a clone? Can someone remind me what Kirby's B move is?

But if Sakurai says yes, so let it be written, so let it be done.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
That's one move, which Kirby shares with everyone, can someone remind me what Kirby's B move is? I was saying DeDeDe would always be using the hammer except for his B moves, which Kirby doesn't do....making him not a clone.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Marshigio said:
I'd rather see King DeDeDe over all those guys that Iggy K named actually.
I agree there, well, exept for Ridley, he'd rock.

Marshigio said:
That's one move, which Kirby shares with everyone, can someone remind me what Kirby's B move is? I was saying DeDeDe would always be using the hammer except for his B moves, which Kirby doesn't do....making him not a clone.
Enlighten me on how he shares the hammer with everyone, nad why not use hammer for special moves?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Iggy K said:
Enlighten me on how he shares the hammer with everyone, nad why not use hammer for special moves?
I worded that wrong, I meant Kirby uses moves that everyone else has. His neutral B.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Okay, hey, that could be Deddede's b move, he sucks someone up, but instead of getting their powers, spits them out, exept it does more then when Kirby does it.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
That's only for his B move, I was saying he'd use it as his A moves. He doesn't have to float either, he could just high jump like he does in the games.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
VKris said:
Where have I seen that before? Kirby has those exact techniques!! OMG. :laugh:
NAY.
Sgocking as it may be to you, Dedede has used original moves, and he still has lots of potential for an either new moveset or a Luigified one.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
i personally like the idea of dedede being added. if you just look at him, he has "the look". he would fit right in as a smash character.

if it's true that they are going up to 40 characters, i think he's got a 75% chance of making it.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Yes, in one of the games he helps Kirby by spitting him into space to fight the true enemy(Nightmare)Iggy K already mentioned this as being one of his moves.

He's also funny, which makes him fit in Brawl. (In Kirby's Dreamland, he tried to take all of Dreamland's food, not exactly what most villains are after)

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Kirby and Dedede seem to be doing a lot of sucking, blowing, huffing, puffing, and hammering and nailing each other... Maybe there's some secret story to these characters...

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Dedede is the perfect choice for Brawl, and being him a Kirby clone or not doesn't matter at all. So I'll give it a big YAY.
BTW, Wasn't this already discussed before?

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Now that I think about it, I think it was.

Anyway, DeDeDe can't be a clone. Kirby uses attacks where he uses powers from others that he got in his games, DeDeDe can suck people in, but not transform and take their powers.

Kirby also uses his feet and body to attack, DeDeDe wouldn't need to do this because he could use his hammer. He'd probably use his fists rather than his feet and body for some of the weaker attacks, he does have boxing gloves on.

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
I give Dedede a thumbs up, but I'm hoping, like Kirby, he never really talks. Same with Meta-Knight.

If Sakurai keeps the Ice Climbers in the next game, then we can see them and Dedede in the battle of the hammers.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
I'm guessing his stats would go a little like this. Seems pretty balanced to me, what do you think? (On a scale of 1-5)
Strength: 4
Speed: 2
Weight: 4
Height: 3
Jump: 4
Range: 3

Black/Light

Smash Master
I say nay. . .I don't see Kriby having 2 bad guys and 1 good guy in SSBB. . . But as long as Krystal, Blaziken, Lucario and Sonic make it I couldn't care less about who else makes it.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Who cares if Kirby has 2 enemies and he's the only good guy from that series to be in? Who are they are going to add, Gooey?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Marshigio said:
Who cares if Kirby has 2 enemies and he's the only good guy from that series to be in? Who are they are going to add, Gooey?

. . . Just saying that it would be odd for a game series like "Kirby" to have more bad then good guys. . . maybe they could put in like 1-2 more good guys to even it out but if not I just don't see 2 bad guys and 1 good guy from such a series like Kriby.

And add Starfy to my list above. . .

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I see your poing, but what good guy is there? Rick? Gooey? Adelaine? I can't see them adding another good guy.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
So what if it's odd? Kirby has some of the coolest villains of Nintendo,and some of the worst allies so why not add the villains over his friends?

Besides, King DeDeDe is sort of a neutral character. He wanted to eat all the food in Dream Land but Kirby wouldn't let him do it, so he fought him, geez I don't see how wanting to eat a whole bunch of food makes someone a villain.

He's selfish, but when it's something important, he's willing to do the right thing, he's teamed up with Kirby before to fight a greater evil. Metaknight isn't a huge villain either.

Top Bottom