• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede in that thing that isn't singles (A Guide to the King in Doubles)

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
King Dedede is fat. Let's not kid ourselves. But that doesn't make him any less viable in doubles. I believe king is a prime partner with gimps, WOPing, and perfenctly setting up a teamate for the KO. I want to start a discussion about king dedede in doubles; not just the king himself though, as the kings partner is just as important. I also want to slowly mold this in to a “How to” guide for the king for people that may not be as knowledgable as they want to be as we go along.​

Here is the king in a quick over-view

King Dedede: Tank Assist
Carry- 5
Stock Tank- 8
Punisher- 8
DPS- 7
Amazing Offensive Support
Great Defensive Support
Minor Interference Issues
Energy Projectile (DPS)

His only true issue with interference is how big he is. He gets knocked around like a disobedient housewife, and due to this, his teammate has to babysit in order for their team to function properly.

King Dedede suffers about as much as Falco in Doubles for both similar and different reasons. His primary issue is his sheer size- he gets knocked around, sometimes by his teammate, all for being so fat! His other issues include the fact that his moveset is rather punishable, and that his recovery is pretty linear (all due to how fast he falls and how slowly he moves in the air). He's not useless, though. He's got some serious KO power, can dominate an opponent in a 1v1 situation, and is one of the top 3 heaviest characters in the game.

As a Stock Tank, D3's ONLY issue is how much damage he gets racked up on himself. His large frame makes him juggle-bait, and his slow, punishable upB allows for some nasty kill moves to make their way onto his frame. Then again, he can almost always recover, and is heavy as hell.

Punish Moves:
•utilt
•dsmash
•usmash
•fsmash
•Swallowcide
•bair
•Gordo (random)

The King is good at tacking on percent with his wall of bair, his hard hitting throws, and his great aerials, so he's definitely good at dealing out damage, the only issue is that he's not going to be openly available for pounding on his opponents at all times.

Offensive Support:
•dthrow
•Inhale
•Waddle Dees/Doos

Defensive Support:
•Inhale
•Huge frame
While this does sum up the king to some degree. There are many more things to be discussed. So let's split it up into 4 parts.

1: Singles vs. Doubles Dedede

2. The King's Move-set/ What to do and not do

3. The Partner

4. General Tactics

1. Singles Dedede vs. Doubles Dedede
(an introduction of the king to doubles)

In singles a D3 player will play around their biggest advantages; grabs, gimps, and pokes.
The shift from singles to doubles will be easy for some, and challenging for others, but what is important to remember about the king is that he is, more than anything, a SUPPORT character.
D3 is all about support through his amazing defense rather than offense. D3 has good offense, however, he suffers from being ridiculously fat and slow. To get a better picture of what I mean think of it like this. Imagine the very beginning of a game, right after the countdown, against a team of MK and G&W.

-Your best option is obviously not to go on the offensive, as BOTH of your opponents are dangerous to you.

-Avoiding their first offense and reacting properly is your best bet. In other words DEFENSE is your best bet.

Later in that same game, your partner gets knocked nearby, with G&W offstage, and MK approaching.
It's very safe to say that the MK is either going to nado, or attempt to continue to combo your teamate.
What are your options?

- Call the nado and u-tilt it
-Predict he will go for your partner and try to attack him out of it.
-Shield to block whatever he does (except are grab of course)

Your options few, and unfortunately your best option is the latter of the three. The DEFENSIVE option. Not to say you can't retreat aerials to defend, however you risk hitting your teammate should you choose that or the other two.

To be continued and discussed

2. The King's Moveset/What to do and not do

The first thing to notice is that since there are 2 opponents, do not expect to simply combo or gimp an opponent, as the other will likely try to save them (given they CAN) An important thing to understand I don't see many people getting is that you don't HAVE to separate the opponents and play as if in a 1v1.

Being a support character, it is crucial to be near enough to your partner to help when ever time calls for it. Having an amazing kill move that comes out fast (u-tilt) and the best set up for a kill IN THE GAME (d-throw), being close to your partner allows you to abuse those things to no end. A huge problem the king has however is BEING there. Being so fat and slow means we have to play it right so we can actually BE where we need to be. You can have the coolest, flashiest, most devestatingest team combo all memorized and ready to go, but it won't make a difference if you spend all game offstage recovering.

Your Recovery:
Yes, he does have a good recovery, but trust me you don't want to be forced into a position to do so. Unless you are good about faking out your opponents as to your recovery path, it's best to stay on stage. Even going for the gimp shouldn't be a priority, as one mistake will put YOU in a bad position. Yes, most of the time you will be making it back TO the stage, but staying on (especially against a waiting MK) will be difficult.

Of course you won't stay on stage forever, as damage will rack up and get you off stage, so how DO you go about recovering? Well, mixing it up is definitely something to remember. With up-b, inhale, and a ridiculous FF, you'll usually get there, but you gotta know which one to use and when. But it's not really a matter of knowing when to use it, it's more-so about knowing just plain old which one will work. Which one will get you to land to prolong that stock.

Don't ever forget that mixing up recoveries is MANDATORY in higher levels of play. Think of it like this. (From an opponents POV)

- They FF inhale, it works, they recovery successfully.
- They inhale, BUT you called it and rolled behind, however they turned it around calling the roll
(I wouldn't say reversing the inhale is really much of a mix-up)
- They inhale, screw waiting for them to land, you attack from underneath.

Chances are, the higher level of play you are, things won't even work a SECOND consecutive time.
A good teammate should always be at least prepared to save you, since your recovery is just asking for a can of whoop-***. And this is only against ONE opponent waiting to stop you, it gets even more hectic against 2.

A good mix up is also to recover with aerials. With a long lasting and high priority bair, sometimes that is your best option, but I would only recommend that against AIRBORN opponents. It's also risky if your ally is near you, so fast falling well timed air-dodges will usually be your best bet.

Overall:

Stay ON stage.

Your Shield:

Since there are 3 characters throwing out moves constantly, it's safe to assume you will be shielding often. So it's good to know how to shield. You might think “Well that's simple, just press shield when they do a move.” and that's where you're wrong. Being a defensive char, it is CRUCIAL to know the ins and outs of shielding. To help with this, I shall make a list what to know of shielding for D3.

1. When playing against a poking character, LEARN TO TILT.

2. If your shield is about to break, use what you have left and SPOTDODGE the remainder of the move. (ESPECIALLY against tornado)

3. DO NOT shield against moves you can simply walk away from (like all of ganon's moveset)

4. POWERSHIELDING conserves shields, learn to powershield to help keep distance and prevent the opponent from pressuring you

5. If you know your best options OoS, shielding can be an effective bait in doubles.

6. Don't be afraid to shield center stage when surrounded, but don't expect it to last long.

7. DO NOT get predictable. If your opponent conditions your shielding, you lose a critical part of your defense. Keep things fresh.

8. Shielding can also be a weapon. Using it to prolong hit-boxes of your partners moves can catch opponents off-guard.

Any other recommendations are gladly welcome.

Spacing:

Of course spacing is important, it keeps you safe and available to help your partner. Spacing in doubles is slightly different because even if you do space well-timed bair, Your opponent's partner might still hit you out of the move's ending lag. What's important to know is what moves are safe and reliable, so that you can avoid getting hit even if you hit one of them.

Spacing is something mainly used to not only defend yourself, but keep yourself safe if you miss. DO NOT forget that. There is a BIG difference between spacing a F-tilt and a F-smash. You can use an f-tilt on someone trying to hit you from the ledge, and you can use a f-smash, but chances are using the f-smash WILL get you punished, where as you can retreat should f-tilt fail you. Not only that, but in doubles a f-smash is practically ASKING to be hit.

Your primary moves for this should be bair, f-tilt, and fair. Bair's amazing priority and length, plus good range makes it key to keeping aerial opponents at bay, and it's fast enough to not leave yourself open afterward. I'd recommend NOT FF this, as it can be easily shieldgrabbed in singles, just imagine when TWO people are waiting to punish you. F-tilt is excellent in doubles, allowing you to punish and keep distance between ground based opponents and chars that like to SH often. It pops up people just right for a fair, but remember that it's not always the best idea to go for follow ups. Fair is a good move against laggy aerials and is great for providing cover for your teammate from above, and it can hit opponents from behind if they miss-time the airdodge.

Chaingrabbing:

The chaingrab isn't what COMPLETELY makes D3 in doubles, but it is something that shouldn't be ignored. The chaingrab allows D3 to do things other doubles teams could only DREAM of.

If your team is good enough to keep partners seperated, D3 is capable of tacking on inescapable damage to opponents across the stage, not only tacking on damage, but keeping that opponent from assisting their partner IN ANY WAY, allowing your partner to fight without fear of interruption.

Positioning is completely switched around, putting you in a better position and putting your chaingrab victim in an awful one. If things are ever going to go wrong, you always have the option of ending the chain and going on the defense.

It's the best set up for a kill move in the game. Landing that kill move becomes less of a problem with d-throw, provided your partner can either hit them back towards your own kill move, or use a kill move of their own. Vayseth sums up the chaingrab in doubles play very nicely in his guide to chaingrabbing. Thanks to him for this input.

Chapter 2.6: The Chaingrab in Doubles Play

I'm just recently becoming more accustomed to singles play but if there's anything I know it's doubles. King Dedede can be a serious threat in doubles if played correctly. In doubles there are usually two types of players: the dominant player, who goes for all the kills and likes to take people 1-on-1, and the support player, who distracts the other teammate while their partner is getting mercilessly edge guarded or follows their own teammate's movements in order to set up team combos. King Dedede is in my mind one of the top support doubles characters in the game. His grabs are easy set ups for team combos and also get your opponent's teammate out of the way when you want a chance to edge guard or team combo more effectively.

Here's some rules to live by:

You should always chaingrab in doubles if given the chance.
King Dedede's chaingrab is his best asset. Instead of not using it as much, adapt to the chaos doubles breeds and use it to your advantage. Chaingrab right into your teammate who can then hit them for you allowing you to follow up making a devastating team combo. Don't forget that the F Throw and B Throw are extremely fast and hit everyone in the radius of your hammer. If you are chaingrabbing someone and their teammate comes to save the day, throw their own partner at them. Chances are they'll get hit by the throw animation, their own teammate, or both.

D Throw is the best move in the game for setting up team combos.
If you didn't know before reading this, King Dedede's U Tilt has invincibility frames on it. This allows you to do amazing things with your partner to rack up damage as well as get early kills. All you need to do is D Throw, have your partner space enough away and time an attack that sends the opponent right back at you. When the opponent is shot back, use the U Tilt. If timed correctly you will have successfully chained three moves together, all powerful, racking up a ton of damage sending them sky high, usually to their deaths. My favorite set up is a D Throw into a Metaknight D Smash right back into an U Tilt of your own. It is not only cool looking but so fast that you can perform it regularly during your match! Try it for yourself!

You are big so stay out of giant cluster ****s or you will be eating a ton of damage.
King Dedede plays the support card really well. However, he can become a burden if up against a Metaknight who really likes to edge guard. Try to team with someone who can prevent you from getting mercilessly team comboed which King Dedede is subject to due to his large size. Teams at a high level is just organized chaos. Try to play the tank role and just stay alive throwing your opponents into fully charged smashes.

I hope I've taught you something new about the applications of the D Throw in doubles, especially the D Throw to Smash to U Tilt combo. When performed in a match, nothing feels sweeter in this game. NOTHING.

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
3. The Partner

Bowser -

Captain Falcon -

Diddy Kong -

Donkey Kong -

Falco -

Fox -

Game & Watch -

Ganondorf -

Ice Climbers – (lol)

Ike -

Jigglypuff -

King Dedede - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUq8e3ORgTQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=8Q0Si95QBho

Kirby -

Link -

Lucario -

Lucas -

Luigi -

Mario -

Meta Knight -

Ness -

Olimar -

Peach -

Pikachu -

Pit -

Pokemon Trainer -

R.O.B. -

Samus -

Sheik -

Snake -

Sonic -

Toon Link -

Wario -

Wolf -

Yoshi -

Zelda -

Zero Suit Samus -

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
4. General Tactics

General Stratigies and Tactics that could be applied to any team

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
I'll make it a general tactics instead, since the detailed ones should go into the character they are best suited for anyway

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
yea i didn't really say, but feel free to discuss these things in any order. so if you want to input anything on your fav. team combination (involving d3 of course) before anything else, go ahead.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Well I think you established that King Dedede is. Fat, and slow and gets knocked around because of it lol I like the idea of this thread though I could use some tactics since I've just picked up D3 seriously and I want to try him in doubles with my Snake partner.

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
Well I think you established that King Dedede is. Fat, and slow and gets knocked around because of it lol I like the idea of this thread though I could use some tactics since I've just picked up D3 seriously and I want to try him in doubles with my Snake partner.
I did not plan on going through this in order, so I can cut straight to snake discussion if you'd like. However snake isn't one of the chars i team up often with so I don't have very much input on this team.

Got anything on teaming with snake guys?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
D-throw F-smash is amazing. Both stocks normally last a long time since they are both heavy. Inhale shenanigans (Inhaling your partner) would be interesting (Spit uair). It could also save him (inhale spit = new cypher).

Uh...kills are really easy for this team since our D-throw is an amazing set up for U-tilt, F-tilt, F-smash, and C4 (You should know where your partners C4 is).

Grenades would kinda destroy this team though, D3 would get hit by everything...

ZTD | TECHnology

This team works as long as Snake and D3 have space from each other and Snake isn't reckless with grenades. Nair is a much easier way of getting Snake back on the stage since it just pops him straight up in the air with minimal damage. Both can protect each other fairly well from edgeguarding. Like ESAM stated, there are some **** setups for kills. Both are fat but D3 is going to end up taking more damage being so much bigger than Snake. Both need to give each other space (this is easier since D3 will be in the air a bit) but stay close enough to help each other in those hairy situations.

Hmm..I wonder if you can abuse D3's SA Frames on his recovery by sticking a C4 to him and detonating it on the ascent. Could be interesting. This is my absolute favorite team both as a Snake main and a D3 main.

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
from what I've seen, you'd both have to play extremely carefully as you can both be juggled like crazy. Because of that I'd say staying 2 or 3 char lengths away at all times would be your best bet, but at the same time it isn't hard for someone to knock you two into each other. I have a hard time seeing this team keep momentum, but having such power and range makes up for that almost to the point where it doesn't matter. It would take around 4 hits to be within KO range against this team.Since both chars have very good defensive games, knowing how to land that early KO to put on that pressure you need is what will make or break the team.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Snake and Dedede is a retardedly good team, and I've played this team from both sides. Grenades are only a problem if you are your partner are careless, or if the stage is small, which I tend to avoid. The more you play with a Snake, the more you become aware of his explosives.

I think this team works better with both players on separate sides fighting 1v1. In most cases, ther's gonna be a character that Dedede can handle by himself, unless you're at a Jersey tourney where every team is a double MK. In a few cases, Snake would have to play a more offensive role with Dedede providing backup whenever possible. Snake has the tools to take on two people at once, especially compared to Dedede.

Honestly, there's not really much to be said about this team. It's a very strong team with little weaknesses.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
They're only a retardedly good team if they stay away from each other... especially against teams with mk in them.
Me and my friend found a very good strategy with them but only on stages with platforms other than smashville.
What they do is that they literally go back to back and keeping the center of stage controlled on Yoshi's Island, Battlefield or Halberd. The other team is forced to approach them anywhere but above the platforms, while Snake and King Dedede are keeping both of them out with forward tilts, grabs and a few shorthop back airs by the king. We've tested it in tournament matches and it works amazingly.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
wat do u think of D3 and Lucas?
my friend n i did D3s Dthrow into my Dtilt and the Ike, Link, CFalcon, and Snakes cldnt get out. then again they were noobish players.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Don't play this team when there is a MK who knows how to edgeguard....its just...yeah...

ZTD | TECHnology

wat do u think of D3 and Lucas?
my friend n i did D3s Dthrow into my Dtilt and the Ike, Link, CFalcon, and Snakes cldnt get out. then again they were noobish players.
Lol be prepared to do a LOT of covering for Lucas if you try that team.

I would like to discuss D3 and Lucario though.

I see this team working pretty well if King Dedede can protect his partner long enough for the Aura Mod to really become dominant. In which if it did Lucario becomes an extremely dangerous killing machine. Combine that with D-throw setups and you can kill from up close with a point blank F-Smash or a retardly powerful Aura Sphere. And even if you're in the lead, the weakned Aura isn't too big of an issue here like it would be in singles. And D3 is great for killing also. The thing here is that I believe that Lucario would be the one with the bullseye for this match. He's gimpable and no opponent of Lucario wants him to live past 150%. D3 is pretty good at protecting Lucario and his weight would make him a great stock tank but he has to be alert to what's going on with his partner. Nair once again would be great for saving Lucario from those tricky situations and Lucario can handle himself off the stage with his quick, high priority aerials. D3 can also Waddle Dee Toss and the Lucario can Di into it and it would pop him straight up. The other thing I like about this team is that both can handle themselves in the air and on stage with provides from flexibility and allows them to work closer together than say Snake and D3.

Also fun fact: If D3 gets an inhale off he can be attacked by his teammate but D3 takes no knockback just the damage. (pretty sure 90% of us knew that I just didnt see anyone mention it) Can you say fully charged Aura Sphere, D-Smash or F-Smash? :)

I think this team could devastating with good coordination and teamwork. Some teams work better when you divide and conquer I see more actual teaming here.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about making a Lucario my static doubles partner so any input would be nice.

MagicJosh

Smash Apprentice
Well if there isn't anything else for snake i suppose D3 and lucario it is. (i def. dont have anything left on snake myself)

I would say that lucario and D3 would be a good team, but i think they are a VERY stage dependent team.
Any stage with walls (yoshi's) would be an amazing example. D3 can get some really good damage and momentum against opponents with a wall, like from WOPing bairs, while lucario obviously has the clinging he can use to save himself. getting the kill is never really a challenge with a D3 team, since ur d-throw can just lead into your own u-tilt . I would def. say be careful since luc's smashes last fairly long and it won't be hard to accidentaly run into one of them at some point. I KNOW that lucario has some really good strings at early percents, which means the D3 has to really just worry about getting the KO, so that def. helps.

idk, i personally wouldn't like the team, because lucario's gimmick doesn't seem to "fit" with D3 imo.
I haven't seem the team so much on action so I'm just saying that from what I know about them individually though.

ZTD | TECHnology

Lucario boards acknowledge this as a good team. Not amazing but pretty good. I will be testing this team out soon so I will let you guys know unless someone else has a lot of experience with this team. I do acknowledge the whole "D3 is a giant target and could get popped by one of Lucario's Smashes" issue but that's a common theme in almost all of D3's teams. I think knowing how to consistently Powershield should be very important here in doubles there's theres 3 sources of possible attacks that you could get hit with.

Travis Maker

Smash Rookie
Yes, this discussion needs to be revived.

Hi, I'm a brazilian DDD player and I dont post here a lot. But im aways checking the threads.

Theres going to be a torney here and we gonna play doubles. I will play with a snake player and I need some tips.
Another brazilian DDD/Snake double made some cool set ups. Like, when they are 2x1 and the oponent is offstage, DDD go gimp with bair and Snake pursuit with Nikita(sideB).

I also play with a G&W and it works very well. G&W dthrow>Usmash combo combined with DDD's Fsmash is fantastic. Wherever the enemy rolls, or dont move, he gonna be hiting by a smash.
DDD's dthrow to G&W's dtilt is a nice combo as well.

I really wanna know more about DDD/Snake =]
There are any videos?

thx

Coney

Smash Master
g&w/ddd is a fantastically potent team. g&w can upb nado and set up for great punishes. ddd's dthrow leads into g&w's anything, but usmash is especially good and can kill really early. waddle doos allow for surprise buckets if the opponent isn't ready to guard against them.

ddd/snake sounds good but it's really not. once one team member gets juggled offstage, they're pretty much done for...nothing the other one can do, especially against MK. snake is a good partner strictly because he's good as a singles character, but in teams with ddd they're an awkward and semi-clunky mess.

ddd's best partners are mk, g&w, wario and lucas i think, and in that order

Travis Maker

Smash Rookie
I really don't know about Lucas with DDD. I just can imagine a dthrow to Lucas' smashs and waddle doo to recovery some %.

Another players are saying to me to pick up Wario (its my second), to make a team with Snake. I fell more confortable with DDD, but i know that Wario its really good at doubles.

There were some DDD/Snake team that did good in tourneys?

Top Bottom