King Boo for Smash Switch! Does he stand a ghost of a chance?

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Nah nah nah. What the hell is this!? Where is the support for King Boo!?

I'm not having this ****! We have Ridley and K. Rool but no one is suggesting Luigi's antagonist? Where is all the King Boo fans? I know you guys are out there.

Nah nah nah. What the hell is this!? Where is the support for King Boo!?

I'm not having this ****! We have Ridley and K. Rool but no one is suggesting Luigi's antagonist? Where is all the King Boo fans? I know you guys are out there.
That's right! Tell it how it is!

If we get another Wario character, my votes for Luigi's arch enemy! And with Luigi's Mansion 3, maybe tie in DLC?

I'm looking forward to DLC this time, lots of games coming up for great dlc tie ins!

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Also, King Boo would fit with everyone's wishes for more villains. Ridley and K. Rool are cool as hell but King Boo would make this game ****ing amazing!

3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
NNID
NapoleonPlays
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't see him happening, but I always thought Boo would be an easy Semi Clone of Jigglypuff.
Charging launch instead of stampede, licking instead of punching, a few changes like intangibility.

I honestly think King boo should be the next Mario rep. Over anybody else like he should of been in Smash 4 before :ultrosalina: even

He’s been in many Main line and Side line games

He’s been a main antagonist

He has a personality

Better than bowser. He did away with Mario

He made a Star Wars reference

He’s probably not going away anytime soon with Luigi mansion 3

He’s first party no loop holes

Last edited:
You know, this is very likely not to amount to anything, but the latest findings got me thinking.

It's been said that the Japanese YouTube playlist for Ultimate character videos got updated, and currently it's assumed that means a Direct could arrive by October 10, one day before Luigi's Mansion's 3DS release launch day. Wouldn't it be really convenient if King Boo gets revealed then?

Edit: Two days, but you get the picture.

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
You know, this is very likely not to amount to anything, but the latest findings got me thinking.

It's been said that the Japanese YouTube playlist for Ultimate character videos got updated, and currently it's assumed that means a Direct could arrive by October 10, one day before Luigi's Mansion's 3DS release launch day. Wouldn't it be really convenient if King Boo gets revealed then?
Good thing you find here ! Maybe it will happen !

Would love if King boo with the Luigi’s mansion look to be a newcomer no one thought of

NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I was initially against this character because it's based on a generic enemy from the Mario series, but after Piranha Plant, things have changed.
I'm completely honest, Boo (King or not) is another of those enemies from Mario that like Piranha Plant, appeared in different versions and each one of those versions does some interesting actions that you could build a very unique moveset onto, other than often being important parts of the level structure/the level design is based on them (That's a trait that only a few enemies in the series have, Piranha Plant, Boo and Twomp are some, but Twomp is very limited in the actions he can do so I don't see him as a possible newcomer).

Yeah, I think that Boos have the same moveset potential, if not more, as Piranha Plant!
The only problem is that Boo is a floating character and having it stuck on the ground feels a bit odd, but other characters already in the roster have the same issue, so it's not really a limit. Like other people already suggested, he should be extremely light, maybe even lighter than Jigglypuff, so while he can benefit of an awesome recovery and floatiess, he is also easy to KO but hard to hit.

What could they take as inspiration source:
-Boos and what they do in Mario games (main platformers, not spin-offs)
-Some Boo moves from the RPG games
-What ghosts do in Luigi's Mansion
-What ghosts do in the general culture
-King Boo (especially his tongue)
-The other type of ghosts in Luigi's Mansion can be summoned as part of King Boo's moveset (not in the case of regular Boo)
-King Boo can trap players in a painting for grabs (but not regular Boo, obviously)

But IMO the focus should be as much as possible on what Boos do in Mario's main platformers. Stuff like the Boo blocks/platforms, the Boo wheel and other iconic stuff that Boos did through the series should definitely be integrated in the moveset, no matter if it's regular Boo or King Boo.
I think that relying on spin-offs (sport and party games) is something to be avoided, Boo have all what they need to become fighters without the need of using a tennis racket or Mario Party items.

This said, while in case of Piranha Plant, the generic enemy became more relevant than the character version of it (Petey Piranha) and ended in the roster with Petey only as part of his final smash, the case of King Boo is different.
King Boo is the main villain of a spin-off series, and he's not even like Kamek that's a supporting character to the real villain, he's the big final villain himself!
The Luigi's Mansion series has now 3 games, the character is starting to become more and more important (assuming that King Boo is still the main villain, because it most likely will).
So, I think that, unlike Piranha Plant, King Boo should be in the roster more than a generic Boo, still featuring references of the generic Boo species in his moveset.
(but I woulnd't mind E. Gadd as well, I think he has more potential than what people think, due to the inventions/gimmicks he builds)

Man, Luigi's Mansion 3 had a really great showing yesterday.

The new Poltergust's features seem pretty handy, Gooigi actually has a purpose beyond being player 2, and more distinct ghost designs are present again. Seeing some of Mario and Luigi's other friends was a pleasant surprise as well!

But man, King Boo stepping up his game and going after all of them? He's lucky :ultbowser: isn't around to see this happen.

Man, Luigi's Mansion 3 had a really great showing yesterday.

The new Poltergust's features seem pretty handy, Gooigi actually has a purpose beyond being player 2, and more distinct ghost designs are present again. Seeing some of Mario and Luigi's other friends was a pleasant surprise as well!

But man, King Boo stepping up his game and going after all of them? He's lucky :ultbowser: isn't around to see this happen.
hey you never know he might show up

Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I wish Luigi had more Luigi's Mansion elements in his kit. Like imagine if you could summon Gooigi on the map and swap between them mid fight as a pseudo teleport. Or something relating to Polterpup.