• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Boo for Smash Switch! Does he stand a ghost of a chance?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
310.png

If this is he design choice yes please

You could change the aura of his eyes and crown for his alts

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Nah nah nah. What the hell is this!? Where is the support for King Boo!?

I'm not having this ****! We have Ridley and K. Rool but no one is suggesting Luigi's antagonist? Where is all the King Boo fans? I know you guys are out there.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Nah nah nah. What the hell is this!? Where is the support for King Boo!?

I'm not having this ****! We have Ridley and K. Rool but no one is suggesting Luigi's antagonist? Where is all the King Boo fans? I know you guys are out there.
That's right! Tell it how it is!

If we get another Wario character, my votes for Luigi's arch enemy! And with Luigi's Mansion 3, maybe tie in DLC?

I'm looking forward to DLC this time, lots of games coming up for great dlc tie ins!

Machete

Smash Ace
Nintendo wouldn't spend as much time as they did with Luigi's Mansion in the latest Direct if they didn't see it as a very profitable franchise. King Boo also consistently appears in Mario spin-offs. I think people in general are sleeping on his chances something hardcore, although I believe he'd be DLC.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Also, King Boo would fit with everyone's wishes for more villains. Ridley and K. Rool are cool as hell but King Boo would make this game ****ing amazing!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't see him happening, but I always thought Boo would be an easy Semi Clone of Jigglypuff.
Charging launch instead of stampede, licking instead of punching, a few changes like intangibility.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I honestly think King boo should be the next Mario rep. Over anybody else like he should of been in Smash 4 before :ultrosalina: even

He’s been in many Main line and Side line games

He’s been a main antagonist

He has a personality

Better than bowser. He did away with Mario

He made a Star Wars reference

He’s probably not going away anytime soon with Luigi mansion 3

He’s first party no loop holes

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

King Boo is an amazing villain. Have fond memories of facing him in Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. Don't know if he'll be added but would not mind if he was.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
It'll be cool if they had him. Having a characters who literally float above the ground is fun and I love is design !

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, this is very likely not to amount to anything, but the latest findings got me thinking.

It's been said that the Japanese YouTube playlist for Ultimate character videos got updated, and currently it's assumed that means a Direct could arrive by October 10, one day before Luigi's Mansion's 3DS release launch day. Wouldn't it be really convenient if King Boo gets revealed then?

Edit: Two days, but you get the picture.

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
You know, this is very likely not to amount to anything, but the latest findings got me thinking.

It's been said that the Japanese YouTube playlist for Ultimate character videos got updated, and currently it's assumed that means a Direct could arrive by October 10, one day before Luigi's Mansion's 3DS release launch day. Wouldn't it be really convenient if King Boo gets revealed then?
Good thing you find here ! Maybe it will happen !

smashingDoug

Smash Lord

Would love if King boo with the Luigi’s mansion look to be a newcomer no one thought of

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So...

Looks at Luigi's Mansion Three and The 3DS Remake

I think he's knocked Fawful out of the competition to be a DLC Mario rep, with that said...I support this master of illusions.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Well Luigi got a new grab from the sounds of it.

King boo needs a song to get his name out. Maybe a spoof of god save the queen being god bring the king.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
surely he could have a final smash like bowser's where he jumps into that bowser suit of his

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I could definitely see King Boo be in to promote Luigi's Mansion 3 for a couple of reasons.
  • Luigi's Poltergust from LM3 is used in his Grab.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 is set in a new location which would be perfect to have a stage based on it.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I'd rather have a regular Boo, but King Boo would be great too. It's cool to see this character idea surging in popularity. I support.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I could see a trailer be the direct reverse of Simon Belmont's reveal trailer. Where it is Simon being completely dominated in Luigi's domain and gets turned into a portrait and Luigi comes and fights King Boo.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I was initially against this character because it's based on a generic enemy from the Mario series, but after Piranha Plant, things have changed.
I'm completely honest, Boo (King or not) is another of those enemies from Mario that like Piranha Plant, appeared in different versions and each one of those versions does some interesting actions that you could build a very unique moveset onto, other than often being important parts of the level structure/the level design is based on them (That's a trait that only a few enemies in the series have, Piranha Plant, Boo and Twomp are some, but Twomp is very limited in the actions he can do so I don't see him as a possible newcomer).

Yeah, I think that Boos have the same moveset potential, if not more, as Piranha Plant!
The only problem is that Boo is a floating character and having it stuck on the ground feels a bit odd, but other characters already in the roster have the same issue, so it's not really a limit. Like other people already suggested, he should be extremely light, maybe even lighter than Jigglypuff, so while he can benefit of an awesome recovery and floatiess, he is also easy to KO but hard to hit.

What could they take as inspiration source:
-Boos and what they do in Mario games (main platformers, not spin-offs)
-Some Boo moves from the RPG games
-What ghosts do in Luigi's Mansion
-What ghosts do in the general culture
-King Boo (especially his tongue)
-The other type of ghosts in Luigi's Mansion can be summoned as part of King Boo's moveset (not in the case of regular Boo)
-King Boo can trap players in a painting for grabs (but not regular Boo, obviously)

But IMO the focus should be as much as possible on what Boos do in Mario's main platformers. Stuff like the Boo blocks/platforms, the Boo wheel and other iconic stuff that Boos did through the series should definitely be integrated in the moveset, no matter if it's regular Boo or King Boo.
I think that relying on spin-offs (sport and party games) is something to be avoided, Boo have all what they need to become fighters without the need of using a tennis racket or Mario Party items.

This said, while in case of Piranha Plant, the generic enemy became more relevant than the character version of it (Petey Piranha) and ended in the roster with Petey only as part of his final smash, the case of King Boo is different.
King Boo is the main villain of a spin-off series, and he's not even like Kamek that's a supporting character to the real villain, he's the big final villain himself!
The Luigi's Mansion series has now 3 games, the character is starting to become more and more important (assuming that King Boo is still the main villain, because it most likely will).
So, I think that, unlike Piranha Plant, King Boo should be in the roster more than a generic Boo, still featuring references of the generic Boo species in his moveset.
(but I woulnd't mind E. Gadd as well, I think he has more potential than what people think, due to the inventions/gimmicks he builds)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, Luigi's Mansion 3 had a really great showing yesterday.

The new Poltergust's features seem pretty handy, Gooigi actually has a purpose beyond being player 2, and more distinct ghost designs are present again. Seeing some of Mario and Luigi's other friends was a pleasant surprise as well!

But man, King Boo stepping up his game and going after all of them? He's lucky :ultbowser: isn't around to see this happen.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Man, Luigi's Mansion 3 had a really great showing yesterday.

The new Poltergust's features seem pretty handy, Gooigi actually has a purpose beyond being player 2, and more distinct ghost designs are present again. Seeing some of Mario and Luigi's other friends was a pleasant surprise as well!

But man, King Boo stepping up his game and going after all of them? He's lucky :ultbowser: isn't around to see this happen.
hey you never know he might show up

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I wish Luigi had more Luigi's Mansion elements in his kit. Like imagine if you could summon Gooigi on the map and swap between them mid fight as a pseudo teleport. Or something relating to Polterpup.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, count me in as a supporter! I’d love to see King Boo playable in smash! I’ve also drafted up a moveset for him:

4DCDCACC-A188-4CDA-AC34-CC0B860E0CA1.jpeg

Feel free to use it in the OP if you’d like. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
King Boo is inevitable. His chances are probably pretty low this time, but sooner or later he'll make it. Luigi's Mansion isn't going anywhere, and King Boo is showing up for his third main villain role already. By the next smash it'll probably be 4 or 5. He's Luigi's Bowser. And the more Luigi's Mansion games come out, the more glaring of an omission he is. Right now he's a cool idea with somewhat of a chance. But before long he'll be one of the biggest missing characters that half the smash fanbase agrees needs to be in. I hope he gets in this game. But sooner or later he will happen, I'm sure.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
King Boo is inevitable. His chances are probably pretty low this time, but sooner or later he'll make it. Luigi's Mansion isn't going anywhere, and King Boo is showing up for his third main villain role already. By the next smash it'll probably be 4 or 5. He's Luigi's Bowser. And the more Luigi's Mansion games come out, the more glaring of an omission he is. Right now he's a cool idea with somewhat of a chance. But before long he'll be one of the biggest missing characters that half the smash fanbase agrees needs to be in. I hope he gets in this game. But sooner or later he will happen, I'm sure.
glaring omissions have never bothered sakurai before

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
glaring omissions have never bothered sakurai before
They're starting to run out of Mario characters that make sense, so he's only a matter of time, even if they just continue to add two at a time. At the very least Pauline will get her turn next game, as she's poised to get more exposure in spin-offs by then.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
They're starting to run out of Mario characters that make sense, so he's only a matter of time, even if they just continue to add two at a time. At the very least Pauline will get her turn next game, as she's poised to get more exposure in spin-offs by then.
I'd say King Boo has a very significantly better chance than Pauline. I wouldn't even put them in the same category of chances.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
but he doesnt always goes for who makes sense, i mean plenty of people would say toad made more sense than dr mario, rosalina, daisy and pirhana plant and people would have said that chrom would have made more sense than robin and everyone probably has opions about what would have made sense for 3rd parties rather than what happened

in short what makes sense to us might to make sense to sakurai

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
but he doesnt always goes for who makes sense, i mean plenty of people would say toad made more sense than dr mario, rosalina, daisy and pirhana plant and people would have said that chrom would have made more sense than robin and everyone probably has opions about what would have made sense for 3rd parties rather than what happened

But those are just popular characters. I'm saying that King Boo is shaping up to be a Nintendo all-star. He's been the villain as many times as Ganondorf now, not counting Hyrule Warriors. Luigi's Mansion is getting bigger and bigger, and sooner or later (probably sooner) he'll be the biggest Nintendo villain not in smash. In fact he arguably already is, but as Luigi's Mansion gains prominence, King Boo starts to become a character that can't be ignored. He definitely hasn't reached all-star status yet, but he's definitely on the path.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But those are just popular characters. I'm saying that King Boo is shaping up to be a Nintendo all-star. He's been the villain as many times as Ganondorf now, not counting Hyrule Warriors. Luigi's Mansion is getting bigger and bigger, and sooner or later (probably sooner) he'll be the biggest Nintendo villain not in smash. In fact he arguably already is, but as Luigi's Mansion gains prominence, King Boo starts to become a character that can't be ignored. He definitely hasn't reached all-star status yet, but he's definitely on the path.
im just saying that maybe we should keep our expectations in reserve, after all we toad fans have been using the large presence in the over all franchise for years

also king boo's only been the main bad guy twice with his third on the way where as ganondorf had been the main bad guy in three main games a fourth time in a spin off with a fifth time coming up, and thats counting ganon and ganondorf separately, which really is similar as counting king boo in 1 & 2 separately

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

But those are just popular characters. I'm saying that King Boo is shaping up to be a Nintendo all-star. He's been the villain as many times as Ganondorf now, not counting Hyrule Warriors. Luigi's Mansion is getting bigger and bigger, and sooner or later (probably sooner) he'll be the biggest Nintendo villain not in smash. In fact he arguably already is, but as Luigi's Mansion gains prominence, King Boo starts to become a character that can't be ignored. He definitely hasn't reached all-star status yet, but
im just saying that maybe we should keep our expectations in reserve, after all we toad fans have been using the large presence in the over all franchise for years

also king boo's only been the main bad guy twice with his third on the way where as ganondorf had been the main bad guy in three main games a fourth time in a spin off with a fifth time coming up, and thats counting ganon and ganondorf separately, which really is similar as counting king boo in 1 & 2 separately
First of all, it has not been confirmed at all if Ganondorf will be in BotW2. That's speculation. He has 3 games. King Boo's third game is coming out in October. So fine, it will be the same number of games in 2 months. And how in the heck is counting King Boo as two different characters the same as counting Ganon and Ganondorf as separate? Do you think we'll end up with Luigi's Mansion 1 King Boo playable and Luigi's Mansion 2 King Boo as a boss? No. That's ridiculous.

As far as the rest, it sounds like you're just upset about Toad. Most of the glaring omissions have been added, to the point that there are only one or two left, if any. I'm talking like Wario and Dedede in brawl type additions. Toad is nowhere near that. Plus, tbh, King Boo is in a very different situation being A, a unique character and not a generic race (which are the outliers) B, having an extremely unique skillset to bring to the table, and C, isn't already a mainstay in another character's moveset. Toad would be great, but honestly the argument for King Boo is much easier to make.

Edit: I don't know why it posted my last post again ontop. Please ignore it.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
But those are just popular characters. I'm saying that King Boo is shaping up to be a Nintendo all-star. He's been the villain as many times as Ganondorf now, not counting Hyrule Warriors. Luigi's Mansion is getting bigger and bigger, and sooner or later (probably sooner) he'll be the biggest Nintendo villain not in smash. In fact he arguably already is, but as Luigi's Mansion gains prominence, King Boo starts to become a character that can't be ignored. He definitely hasn't reached all-star status yet, but

First of all, it has not been confirmed at all if Ganondorf will be in BotW2. That's speculation. He has 3 games. King Boo's third game is coming out in October. So fine, it will be the same number of games in 2 months. And how in the heck is counting King Boo as two different characters the same as counting Ganon and Ganondorf as separate? Do you think we'll end up with Luigi's Mansion 1 King Boo playable and Luigi's Mansion 2 King Boo as a boss? No. That's ridiculous.

As far as the rest, it sounds like you're just upset about Toad. Most of the glaring omissions have been added, to the point that there are only one or two left, if any. I'm talking like Wario and Dedede in brawl type additions. Toad is nowhere near that. Plus, tbh, King Boo is in a very different situation being A, a unique character and not a generic race (which are the outliers) B, having an extremely unique skillset to bring to the table, and C, isn't already a mainstay in another character's moveset. Toad would be great, but honestly the argument for King Boo is much easier to make.

Edit: I don't know why it posted my last post again ontop. Please ignore it.
why are getting so defensive? im not saying its not going to happen im just pointing that our own reasoning for why a character should be in smash is rarely the same reasoning sakurai does

ganon and ganondorf are the same character so counting them separately would be the same as counting to different appearances of any character between games, even taking into account the whole different incarnations thing theres only two times where hes not same incarnation. counting ganon and ganondorf as two different entities is just needlessly nitpicky

and what do my feelings towards toad have to do with my points. you wanna compare toad to king boo? ok then, first of all toad is a character, a character who appears in nearly every instalment of the largest video game franchise giving him a larger presence than certain other characters who appear. toad has plenty of things he can do that the others dont do and with his many more appearances has more to draw on than king boo. chrom is also part of someone elses moveset and yet hes still playable, and there are many other toads so peach and daisy still having him wouldnt be a problem.

but all this doesnt matter because this is not how sakurai picks characters, there's still a fair number of nintendo all stars missing from the line up, who have the popularity, the moveset potential and presences in their own series which is one of nintendo most successful

all im saying is dont get ahead of yourself

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
why are getting so defensive? im not saying its not going to happen im just pointing that our own reasoning for why a character should be in smash is rarely the same reasoning sakurai does

ganon and ganondorf are the same character so counting them separately would be the same as counting to different appearances of any character between games, even taking into account the whole different incarnations thing theres only two times where hes not same incarnation. counting ganon and ganondorf as two different entities is just needlessly nitpicky

and what do my feelings towards toad have to do with my points. you wanna compare toad to king boo? ok then, first of all toad is a character, a character who appears in nearly every instalment of the largest video game franchise giving him a larger presence than certain other characters who appear. toad has plenty of things he can do that the others dont do and with his many more appearances has more to draw on than king boo. chrom is also part of someone elses moveset and yet hes still playable, and there are many other toads so peach and daisy still having him wouldnt be a problem.

but all this doesnt matter because this is not how sakurai picks characters, there's still a fair number of nintendo all stars missing from the line up, who have the popularity, the moveset potential and presences in their own series which is one of nintendo most successful

all im saying is dont get ahead of yourself
I'm not getting defensive, just putting out counter arguments.

Ganon and Ganondorf are technically the same character, but they're different enough that it matters. You can't go back and retroactively say that Ganondorf was in the original Legend of Zelda after OoT. He wasn't even conceptualized. It's kind of like Ridley and Little Birdie. Technically that tiny little furball is Ridley. But if they had a Metroid game that had Little Birdie and no other form of Ridley, it wouldn't be counted as a Ridley appearance. In both cases, the different forms are, for all intents and purposes, separate entities. Hence why people, including me, really want Ganon in smash as a separate character.

Besides, by that logic you could argue that Demise is in every Zelda game because every Zelda villain is "technically" a reincarnation of his hatred.

As far as Toad, what I meant to say was that I think the reason you feel so negatively about "glaring omissions" getting in is because of Toad's situation, since most of the biggest Nintendo characters are already in.

And I'm not saying he's impossible or that he couldn't be unique. I'm saying that even the fact that we have to argue about his situation is, to some degree, a holdup. Toad has many reasons to be included, but he also doesn't perfectly check off every box. But this really isn't about Toad, I was just saying I think that might be the only reason you say that glaring omissions have never bothered Sakurai before.

Imo Toad is the last Nintendo all-star not in the game. The fact that people parade Dixie Kong as one of if not the biggest Nintendo character not in smash proves that all the truly big stars are in.

My point is that I think by the next smash, King Boo will join Toad as the only other character in that category.

Toad is an odd case, in that clearly one of the arguments against him is holding Sakurai up, considering Toad is far bigger than 75% of the Smash Bros. Cast. There aren't any such arguments against King Boo. That's why I'm so confidant he'll be in some day, if not this game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not getting defensive, just putting out counter arguments.

Ganon and Ganondorf are technically the same character, but they're different enough that it matters. You can't go back and retroactively say that Ganondorf was in the original Legend of Zelda after OoT. He wasn't even conceptualized. It's kind of like Ridley and Little Birdie. Technically that tiny little furball is Ridley. But if they had a Metroid game that had Little Birdie and no other form of Ridley, it wouldn't be counted as a Ridley appearance. In both cases, the different forms are, for all intents and purposes, separate entities. Hence why people, including me, really want Ganon in smash as a separate character.

Besides, by that logic you could argue that Demise is in every Zelda game because every Zelda villain is "technically" a reincarnation of his hatred.

As far as Toad, what I meant to say was that I think the reason you feel so negatively about "glaring omissions" getting in is because of Toad's situation, since most of the biggest Nintendo characters are already in.

And I'm not saying he's impossible or that he couldn't be unique. I'm saying that even the fact that we have to argue about his situation is, to some degree, a holdup. Toad has many reasons to be included, but he also doesn't perfectly check off every box. But this really isn't about Toad, I was just saying I think that might be the only reason you say that glaring omissions have never bothered Sakurai before.

Imo Toad is the last Nintendo all-star not in the game. The fact that people parade Dixie Kong as one of if not the biggest Nintendo character not in smash proves that all the truly big stars are in.

My point is that I think by the next smash, King Boo will join Toad as the only other character in that category.

Toad is an odd case, in that clearly one of the arguments against him is holding Sakurai up, considering Toad is far bigger than 75% of the Smash Bros. Cast. There aren't any such arguments against King Boo. That's why I'm so confidant he'll be in some day, if not this game.
well you can go back and say that its case of retconning, based on in game dialogue and the zelda time line as the series grew the ganon in the original became the same as the one in a link to the past who was then retconned to being the transformed state of ganondorf from ocarina of time. also ganon the onlt reincarnation of demise's hate because most of the other villain exist at the same time as ganondorf and therefore they cant both be, but really thats something for the ganon thread

toad being mia isnt the only reason (i can think of 4 others id count as nintendo all stars) but i feel that samsh has evolved to more than just about nintendo all stars so just becoming one isnt enough anymore, uniqueness and popularity seem to be what sakurai values and both toad and king boo have the former only time will tell if they have enough of the latter. though i am with you in hoping king boo does make his way to become an all star, i do love boos and the kings no exception him having a greater presence in franchise is something id welcome. so i hope he does find his way into the same place as toad and maybe one day we'll have both in smash

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
well you can go back and say that its case of retconning, based on in game dialogue and the zelda time line as the series grew the ganon in the original became the same as the one in a link to the past who was then retconned to being the transformed state of ganondorf from ocarina of time. also ganon the onlt reincarnation of demise's hate because most of the other villain exist at the same time as ganondorf and therefore they cant both be, but really thats something for the ganon thread

toad being mia isnt the only reason (i can think of 4 others id count as nintendo all stars) but i feel that samsh has evolved to more than just about nintendo all stars so just becoming one isnt enough anymore, uniqueness and popularity seem to be what sakurai values and both toad and king boo have the former only time will tell if they have enough of the latter. though i am with you in hoping king boo does make his way to become an all star, i do love boos and the kings no exception him having a greater presence in franchise is something id welcome. so i hope he does find his way into the same place as toad and maybe one day we'll have both in smash
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Ganondorf.

Tbh though, Toad does not exactly have uniqueness though. He has as much uniqueness as Vilager and Duck Hunt. If you have to get really creative to make something unique then it isn't unique. Otherwise literally every character has uniqueness because people could make a unique moveset for a literal brick.

I think the difference I see is that Toad really needs a push from the community to gain popularity. You're right that being an All-star isn't soley enough, but I'm confident in King Boo because he's on the rise big time and is gaining popularity quickly and naturally.

I think another difference is that King Boo is a primary character in a major Nintendo game, while Toad is a terchiary character at best.

I'd love if both get in but I'm much more confident in King Boo than Toad.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Ganondorf.

Tbh though, Toad does not exactly have uniqueness though. He has as much uniqueness as Vilager and Duck Hunt. If you have to get really creative to make something unique then it isn't unique. Otherwise literally every character has uniqueness because people could make a unique moveset for a literal brick.

I think the difference I see is that Toad really needs a push from the community to gain popularity. You're right that being an All-star isn't soley enough, but I'm confident in King Boo because he's on the rise big time and is gaining popularity quickly and naturally.

I think another difference is that King Boo is a primary character in a major Nintendo game, while Toad is a terchiary character at best.

I'd love if both get in but I'm much more confident in King Boo than Toad.
but toad has a vast moveset pool to chose, he has access to power ups and abilities the rest of the mario gang havent used yet, he has the uniqueness. he has plenty of potential its just for what ever reason its not good enough for sakurai.

lets just hope what king boo has is good enough.

Top Bottom