• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kid Icarus Underworld Theme

AMPMClock

Smash Apprentice
I just got Kid Icarus on my Wii yesterday, what great timing!

Awesome remix, and I was just saying how I hoped they had it as tonight's update.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I've never played Kid Icarus, so I've never heard this song before, but I like it. :O

It's got a nice quality to it that make it seem like it would be themed with a sky stage, but it's weird that the names of the two songs for it are Grim Reaper and Game Over. It sounds like too happy of a song for that. o_o

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a big VC person, is there anyway to save? I know the game itself never had a save/load option, but wondering if they added that to the VC? Oh yea, I have played the Kid Icarus game, long time ago though. It really does kickass.
I don't have much experience on the Virtual Console either, but from the one game I've played, I'd expect it to go like this. Kid Icarus uses a password system (as you probably know), and that's still the primary thing you'll use on the Wii. Writing down the passwords the old fashioned way is the only surefire way to save all of your progress. It might remember your latest password by default, but I wouldn't trust that. Also, in the one game I've played, if you go to the Wii menu in the middle of a level, it creates a temporary suspention save, so when you load it up again, it'll put you right where you were and delete the save. If you end a game with "reset" instead of "wii menu", though (and probably also if you just turn off the system), there's no save made.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Eh. Not my favorite music update so far, but it's not bad. Never played Kid Icarus, so I too lack the nostalgia.

Buuuuuut, for those of you who have played Kid Icarus, wanna fill the rest of us in on why this song is called "The Underworld"? My first thought went to "OMGZ, AND UNDERWORLD-ISH KID ICARUS STAGE?", but it sounds like it could totally fit with the stage we already have seen. Any answers?
I dunno....I wouldn't read too much into it. "The Underworld" is simply the name of the source music: nothing more, nothing less. The piece they used contains the musical material that can essentially be considered "Pit's Theme", especially since it appears on or is alluded to in "Title Screen", "Stage Complete!", "Palace In The Sky", and "Ending And Credits" as well. I wouldn't take it to suggest that Pit will be getting more than one stage. While I would love the prospect of having as much Kid Icarus in Brawl as possible, I still don't expect him to get more than one stage.

As for the song itself, I love it. It's quirky and fun. The piece is a almost a direct transcription, though, which kind of disappoints me. This is compensated for by the interpolation of both "The Reaper" and "The End Of Pit". Bravo once more! :grin:

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I like how Sakurai shamelessly advertises Kid Icarus on the virtual console. Kind makes you wonder if there'll be more of an impact the franchise will make on Brawl than meets the eye.

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
I'm currently stuck on World 4-4 in Kid Icarus. I owned it originally for the NES and purchased it again for the Wii, in the hopes that my many more years of gaming experience would help me in beating KI once and for all!!! Alas... I'm stuck on 4-4, once again... :(

Back on topic, this remix was very well made! I, too, really liked the inclusion of the Reaper's theme, which I didn't see coming. I was actually like "Whoa, did I just hear that?" and replayed it again just to be sure I wasn't hearing things. This is, so far, the best music update.

~Old Man Nintendo

EDIT: For those that didn't like it AND didn't play KI, I highly recommend getting it for the VC - it's well worth the money. Plus, you aren't getting hit with that nostalgic factor that is tied to this track, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much.

GenG

Smash Lord
It's a good song, it's light hearted, like the stage and the whole KI setting, but after almost 17 years of ausence I was expecting something more epic, but no use on messing with a good track because my own expectations. There should be more KI tracks, so it could be.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
You just need to take it slowly; play it like the adventure game its supposed to be.
If you wait and let all of the enemies regenerate and attack you, then kill them before they do, eventually they will stop regenerating and youll be safe to travel a bit longer.
Camp.
Shoot.
Proceed.
Camp.
Shoot.
etc.
ah, but you have no idea where i am, do you?

i'm on the final stage, ready to fight medusa. it's a trial and error game, i'll admit that.

what's your favorite part of the song though? i like the second part in between the main parts, the little rise and fall (only happens twice, but it makes me feel so...i don't know what)

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Eh. Not my favorite music update so far, but it's not bad. Never played Kid Icarus, so I too lack the nostalgia.

Buuuuuut, for those of you who have played Kid Icarus, wanna fill the rest of us in on why this song is called "The Underworld"? My first thought went to "OMGZ, AND UNDERWORLD-ISH KID ICARUS STAGE?", but it sounds like it could totally fit with the stage we already have seen. Any answers?

The underworld is the first of five stages in Kid Icarus.

http://virtualnes.com/play/play.php?id=A41E&s=6

Also, I really don't like most of the music in the game, so far. The starfox stage is pretty good, but none of it is nearly so epic as was implied before. When I heard "Fully orchestrated score", I was thinking of more things like the song from the original trailer - At least where they're due. Kid Icarus is like the original God of War. It shouldn't have such a light-hearted theme. On the same note; all the rest of it sounds way too... Mamba-ish, or something.

Hong

The Strongest
Lunadis, haha! Nice to see you around here.

And yes, the music is truly awesome. I've heard loads of Fan remixes, but Nintendo pulls it off. This is truly amazing. Great update. Peach will be Friday is my guess. Tomorrow Stage.
hi2u2sexy
I've never played Kid Icarus, so I've never heard this song before, but I like it. :O

It's got a nice quality to it that make it seem like it would be themed with a sky stage, but it's weird that the names of the two songs for it are Grim Reaper and Game Over. It sounds like too happy of a song for that. o_o
Actually, Sakurai just mentions that. It goes from the full Underworld theme, then the Grim Reaper song after the first break. The Grim Reaper song transist into the "I'M FINISHED!" song.

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
The underworld is the first of five stages in Kid Icarus.

http://virtualnes.com/play/play.php?id=A41E&s=6

Also, I really don't like most of the music in the game, so far. The starfox stage is pretty good, but none of it is nearly so epic as was implied before. When I heard "Fully orchestrated score", I was thinking of more things like the song from the original trailer - At least where they're due. Kid Icarus is like the original God of War. It shouldn't have such a light-hearted theme. On the same note; all the rest of it sounds way too... Mamba-ish, or something.
IMO having music like the original trailer would not feel like Smash Bros at all. While that type of music was good for an epic trailer like that, having it in game would feel really silly, at least to me, and IMO, i don't think it would be due anywhere.

Also, I don't see how you can say that you don't like the music with that awesome Ocarina of Time remix out. That song is so awesome! I've found myself listening to it really often, and it just brings me back, which is generally what most of the music is supposed to do. You can't blame the musicians for making the Kid Icarus music too lighthearted either. If you don't like it, blame the original NES game, because that's where it originated after all. Besides, like I said before, the music is supposed to give people nostalgia, and that's what this song does, so while you may not like it, it's done it's job.

While some other music like the Yoshi music isn't so great, think back to the Melee music, was it really that good? IMO, no. And none of it was as great as the Ocarina of Time music. So while you may not enjoy the music ATM, once you have the game in your hands, I don't think you will really mind.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
I'm an audiophile, so please excuse me when I say that the OoT medley was just utter shiat. It was just some of the ocarina songs mashed together. It wasn't even true to the original songs, not in tone and not in feel. OverClocked Remixed could have done it better.

The Underworld Theme could have used true orchestra, a full bombastic ghetto blasting sound. Epic doesn't necessarily have to mean dark. This song could just easily have had more horns and strings and less drums. It now sounds like a fanfare. Now, I have to say, it doesn't sound bad, but it's close.

Ironically, one of the few songs I really liked was Star Fox: Space Armada. This is how the Underworld Theme should have felt, sans the drums. Menu 1 also was a good one, it still sounded like the original, only slightly better.

I also have to be honest about the Yoshi's Story: Ending one. This one is fine as it is. It just can't have any other feel. I do feel that it could have used more to give that party feeling.

The Ridley Boss Fight song I really wanted to have some overdrives, instead of this synthesised shiat. It could easily be done that way, and I bet it would have sounded more epic that way. Screw the organs, guitars all the way. Ridley is all about Rock 'n' Roll!

-Foggy-

Smash Apprentice
in the Subspace Emissary. What is the Subspace Emi
I'm an audiophile, so please excuse me when I say that the OoT medley was just utter shiat. It was just some of the ocarina songs mashed together. It wasn't even true to the original songs, not in tone and not in feel. OverClocked Remixed could have done it better.

The Underworld Theme could have used true orchestra, a full bombastic ghetto blasting sound. Epic doesn't necessarily have to mean dark. This song could just easily have had more horns and strings and less drums. It now sounds like a fanfare. Now, I have to say, it doesn't sound bad, but it's close.

Ironically, one of the few songs I really liked was Star Fox: Space Armada. This is how the Underworld Theme should have felt, sans the drums. Menu 1 also was a good one, it still sounded like the original, only slightly better.

I also have to be honest about the Yoshi's Story: Ending one. This one is fine as it is. It just can't have any other feel. I do feel that it could have used more to give that party feeling.

The Ridley Boss Fight song I really wanted to have some overdrives, instead of this synthesised shiat. It could easily be done that way, and I bet it would have sounded more epic that way. Screw the organs, guitars all the way. Ridley is all about Rock 'n' Roll!

Well, I'm not about to have a huge argument about music in a videogame, so lets just leave it at the fact that we have our own opinions, but I just don't see how anyone could not enjoy the Oot Medley. It's not just a bunch of OoT songs mixed together either, if you think so, then I think you should listen to it over again, cuz it has some original tunes too, and it has the same epic feel that most Legend of Zelda games have, as well as the traditional ocarina sound tune here and there.

Although I'm not really one to judge music because the only instrument I play is the guitar which I just started about a month ago, this is my list of best to worst songs IMO:

(1 is best 6 is worst)
1. Ocarina of Time Medley
2. Metroid: Ridley Boss Battle
3. Star Fox: Space Armada (I agree, this rules, not as much as 2 0r 1 tho)
4. Menu 1
5. Yoshi's Story: Ending (When I re-listened to this, I actually started liking it more)
6. Kid Icarus: Underworld Theme (I never played KI, so I can't really enjoy this one much)

M.K

Level 55
Wow, I've never played Kid Icarus, and this is a catchy tune. Especially right at the end (which is playing as I am typing this), when they add on a layer of music to the "Da da Daa Da Daaa Da Da" and at the end it's a full-blown thing. It's great, probably one of most favorite of the released ones (partially because I've never played OoT so, I can't really appreciate that one)...

It's so good!

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I love all of the music updates...I cannot in any way fathom how people can not like the music updates...but be cool with the How to Play updates or the Pokemon updates...ok...so now we know that you can Smash with the A button and 1,2 buttons........wow.......but whenever a music update comes up, there are alot more *****y remarks than positive ones...its amazing.......but w/e I personally cant wait till I get my hands on Brawl so I can enjoy EVERY aspect of it....

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
This is, by far, my favorite tune yet!

I knew this tune would be in Brawl, since it's the most recognizable tune from Kid Icarus! I love it!

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
If you don't like it, blame the original NES game, because that's where it originated after all.
Your points were pretty good until here. I really don't agree: The original underworld theme was in crappy 8-bit sound. It could have been epic in its translation to modern hardware. Or at least lacked the stupid drum beat that's been in every single god ****ed music clip on Sakurai's site. Listen to it: All of it has this annoying metronome-like symbol (but not symbol) beat. It's infuriating.

/pointless rant.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
All I have to say is this: Don't play that song in a match against me, or you'll have a hard time defeating me!!

That is my theme song!!!

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
Wow this song is already nostalgic and I only played the first level of the game for a few minutes. Oh yea and I beat the Gameboy Kid Icarus when I was 10 :)

Top Bottom