• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KGD - The Kewkky Thread! - Kirby's Wasteland: Dead Social

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
SSZ7 better pass that thing, so he can keep outranking me and we can be caught for fraternization and get masted and stuff. Fun times ahead.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
SSZ7 better pass that thing, so he can keep outranking me and we can be caught for fraternization and get masted and stuff. Fun times ahead.
LOL! We'll see. The test results will speak for itself. I just finished. Most of the questions I knew right off the bat. XD My rate is open and I had an EP so maybe I'll get it.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Sounds like a guaranteed promotion to me. Are you shooting for E5 or E6? I forgot your current rank. :\

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I just realized that I do almost the exact opposite of what Praxis said about ketosis and I've never been anything close to overweight. XD
Lots of fresh fruits and absolutely no bacon/steak/eggs.

Also: I fell in love with mangos last summer. They're SO GOOD! :D...

Kmatt

Smash Journeyman
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
When I use both hands, I'm the best Kirby!

Also Guava juice is Meta Knight tier.

On the subject of testing, 11th-graders at my school had to come in for half days Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thurday this week. Everyone else got off. Feel bad, man.

On a better note, my Pre-calc teacher came up to me during the testing break and told me that I have an A in her class now.

FOR GREAT JUSTICE.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It was the E-4 Exam. I'll go a high as I'm able. XD

Mangos are top tier fruit. =)
Oh, I thought you were E-4 already! Well then, we'll be the same rank then! I get pushbutton E-4 on June due to my rate requiring almost 2 years' worth of training (I'll finally hit a ship on August and I joined on March 2011).

I guess no fraternization and/or Captain's Mast for us. No bread+water rations... :(

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Praxis, you should make a thread about this in the off-topic forum (assuming we have one) so you can just link to that instead of explaining it every time xD
Good idea.
edit: http://www.fox43.com/news/wpmt-red-meat-bad,0,2391202.story my mom just said something about seeing this on the Today show.
NO NO NO.

(I had someone post this on my Facebook too, sigh)

This study is absolutely terrible and bad science. Has anyone here actually read the study?

It's an observational study, not a controlled study.

They basically just tracked the diet of a few thousand people and found that people who said they avoided Red Meat were 20% likely to die over the 20 year period.

That's it.
Correlation is not causation.

Observational studies are supposed to be used to generate a hypothesis that should then be lab tested. These jokers decided to publish conclusions off of an observational study.

If I told you that smokers were slightly more likely to die of liver failure in an observational study, would you instantly conclude smoking causes liver failure? The reality is that the smokers were also more likely to be drinkers, and alcohol causes liver failure. The people who smoked less also drank less because they were less prone to addictive behaviors.

Same deal. The correlation is tiny- 20%. If four non-red-meat-eaters died during the study, then five red meat eaters died during the study. Furthermore, people who explicitly say they avoid red meat are likely people who actually stick with a diet, and thus more health-conscious in general. And further than that, there's no differentiation between "red meat" and "processed meat", and you have to remember that cheap processed meats are usually cooked in unhealthy vegetable oils at fast food restaurants, so there's probably a correlation between the "red meat eaters" and just poor diet choice in general.

A MORE FORMAL EXPLANATION OF WHY THIS STUDY IS BUNK AND OVERBLOWN:

http://garytaubes.com/2012/03/scien...eudoscience-nutritional-epidemiology-and-meat

Take that survey with a grain of salt. All it does is point out that the people who are eating hot dogs and red meats are dying quicker than those who aren't. They leave out absolutely every single detail out about the habits of the people. Think about it... Would a person who exercises, eats healthy, and occasionally partakes in a delightful dinner of carnivorous sensations, die earlier than a person who barely ever, if never, eats hot dogs and lives an otherwise unhealthy sedimentary lifestyle?
Actually, Kewkky, the study does account for the lifestyle habits, which further make it bunk.

To quote the actual study:
"Men and women with higher intake of red meat were less likely to be physically active and were more likely to be current smokers, to drink alcohol, and to have a higher body mass index".

That's right, folks, the people who identified themselves as meat eaters in the study included more fat, sedentary, smoking alcoholics than the other group. It's actually pretty amazing that they only had a slightly higher mortality rate!

Woah............

Do I have to worry if i only eat red meat once in a while?? I hardly ever eat red meat nowadays(Maybe say 3 times per month)

Im definitely cutting off the hot dogs, this article kinda scared me :(
Ignore the article, it's full of crap. Eat your red meat.

Hot dogs, on the other hand, are full of filler and nitrates...eat steak, not hot dogs :)

Thanks for all of the info.. I dont plan on doing the Ketosis stuff, seems far too complicated and situational :p

I just want to generally lose weight through eating healthy and exercise.

And Say if i were to get a burger from mcds, would i have to get it plain??
I don't think this is unhealthy eating. It's recognizing that cholesterol and fat intake aren't bad if you avoid inflammatory items, and that refined grains and sugar and starch are terrible for you.

If you were to get a burger from McD's, get it meaty and don't get fries or sugary soda (diet soda is ok). If you were on keto, you'd need to go without the bun. For general weight loss, a Big Mac and no fries is better than a hamburger with fries.

Remember the guy in Supersize Me that ate a Big Mac every day and was thin? It's the fries and soda that make you fat.

I'm not saying McD's is healthy, they use really bad oils for cooking. But the burgers won't make you very fat, surprisingly.

Yeah praxis, this is some info I will definitely be using once I move from this base and have more freedom. A diet consisting on practically meat alone? Not like I need a diet since I'm skinny, but it absolutely fits my lifestyle (minus the carbs, sweets, and whatnot. I can sacrifice them for meat any day of the year).

Before I research it myself, Praxis: does deep-fried meats count as calorie-ridden? Because deep-fried chicken is pretty awesome. If I have to sacrifice those, I'll suffer, but I could handle it as long as I have alternative options (not right now due to this base being horrible in terms of consumables options).
Well, meat and veggies! You need vitamins from the veggies!

It's not the calories you need to concern yourself with, it's the breading and type of oil.

Vegetable oils cause inflammation that leads to heart disease, breading makes you fat and absorbs even more oil.

If you're frying the meat in lard, butter, olive oil or coconut oil, and there's no breading, it's heart-healthy and will make you skinny.

Breading will make you fat, vegetable oils are bad for your body but not fattening.

Under 20g a day? I looked around the kitchen to get an idea of what 20g might be like and I saw a yogurt cup had 29g (no fiber) and a serving of pure Cheerios had 20g (3g Fiber)... Sounds almost impossible. =\

I like the water part, haha. All I drink all day is straight up water! :bee:

I thought fruit sugar was ok since it was... Well, "natural". :confused:

I mean, I'm not chubby or anything but I do want to feel more healthy and energized.

:phone:

Still sugar. Less fattening than refined, but still fattening.

And yeah, Cheerios are made from all grain, and your yogurt is probably loaded with sugar.

Sugar, grain, and starch are the worst carb sources.

Get meat, cheese, plain yogurt, sour cream, any green vegetable...full fat cheeses, of course. :)

Check out www.reddit.com/r/keto, recipes up the wazoo.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Oh, I thought you were E-4 already! Well then, we'll be the same rank then! I get pushbutton E-4 on June due to my rate requiring almost 2 years' worth of training (I'll finally hit a ship on August and I joined on March 2011).

I guess no fraternization and/or Captain's Mast for us. No bread+water rations... :(
Nah, hopefully I will on this test. I know they do open Mast there right?

Diet wise. I based it on a seafood, fruit, veggie, and water diet. O_O

I eat meat, just not as much as I used too. Hot dog actually sounds good right about now. Haven't had one in months. Everyone is talking about food after my 3 hour work outs. Kirby and Pika boards talking about food. XD Oh Praxis providing I hope? >=)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Nah, hopefully I will on this test. I know they do open Mast there right?

Diet wise. I based it on a seafood, fruit, veggie, and water diet. O_O

I eat meat, just not as much as I used too. Hot dog actually sounds good right about now. Haven't had one in months. Everyone is talking about food after my 3 hour work outs. Kirby and Pika boards talking about food. XD Oh Praxis providing I hope? >=)
I dunno which base you're asking about the open mast, but in Great Lakes, I attended an open mast, and missed out on two. It must suck to be before the captain that way, but hey, they really did mess up if they are appearing in front of him that way. If you mean San Diego or Japan, I have no clue. I'll start research on that base and its regulations once I'm closer to my date of arrival (august 14).

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I just realized that I do almost the exact opposite of what Praxis said about ketosis and I've never been anything close to overweight. XD
Lots of fresh fruits and absolutely no bacon/steak/eggs.

Also: I fell in love with mangos last summer. They're SO GOOD! :D...
Okay, quickie explanation.

Insulin causes weight gain.

Insulin is a hormone produced in response to blood sugar spikes. The bigger the spike, the bigger the insulin response. If you become resistant to insulin, your body produces more and more to react to the same amount of blood sugar, and you gain more and more weight, feel hungrier, etc, and eventually develop metabolic syndrome or if your pancreas can't keep up type 2 diabetes.

The slower a carbohydrate breaks down in the blood, the less of a spike, so the less insulin.

Ketosis is a way to gear your body in to burning fat very fast, because your body gears itself to using fat to replace everything. It burns fat for energy, it breaks fat in to ketones to replace glucose, etc etc.

It's not the only way to lose weight or avoid gaining weight. Really, you will lose weight if you:
(A) Consume less than you take in (calorie count)
(B) Minimize insulin responses to blood sugar so your body doesn't hormonally try to store

Calorie counting is hard as heck because you basically have to ignore all of your body's cravings. Plus, calorie counting isn't all that healthy if you eat poorly- you just end up depriving muscle.

B is a matter of eating to avoid insulin spikes. That doesn't mean low carbohydrates necessarily- you can just eat carbohydrates that release slow.

If you look up diets like the Engine 2 diet, for example- it's a vegetarian diet. Yet people lose weight on it. Why? Because you're only allowed to eat things that have slow-releasing blood sugars, to simplify. Most good vegetarian weight-loss diets will still ban or restrict sugars, grains, and starches.

If your body never builds an insulin resistance, you can basically not worry about what you eat as long as you try to avoid sugar (which is what builds an insulin resistance in the first place) and refined white bread.

Fruit still has sugar. But it's not the same blood-sugar-spiking sugar you get in a Coca-Cola.

In other words-

If you're already fat, you *might* need to cut down on fruit, but only if you've eliminated all refined sugar, grains, and white starches first. Fruit is waaaaay down on the priority list. If you've eliminated sugar and grains and still aren't losing weight, then look at fruits...or if you want to lose weight fast and cut out all sugar.

If you're skinny, dude, eat all the fruit you want. You're not resistant to insulin, the nonrefined sugar is probably not going to make you resistant to it, and fruit has lots of good nutrients. Your body'll break it down and call it good.

When I'm down to my goal weight, I'll continue to avoid sugar and refined grains, minimize unrefined grains, and eat fruit to my heart's desire cause I love fruit. :)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
haha praxis, i knew that study sounded bogus (like the part where they couldn't explain why it happened in the article, that's where I rolled my eyes). I'm the one who told my mom "correlation does not prove causation" xD

I probably should have said more in this thread, it seems to have worried people hehe.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
You guys do realize that's not the definitive article to read as far as the effects of eating meat are concerned. XD There are plenty of studies to read that have been conducted which have much more merit than some local Fox news channel.

I highly doubt a meat-based diet will make you fat or automatically kill you from some terrible disease. There are many more factors involved in health than that, and blaming meat is probably just a scapegoat to keep people from realizing all the other health hazards they're hitting themselves with.

Pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, toxins, and genetically engineered food are HUGE culprits in modern health problems. These are the things that need to be addressed so that we can have QUALITY food to choose from.

Here's an interesting article on weight loss and toxins

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Not exactly.

There are limits for sending matches and pics to others. If you run out of points, you wait the next day to send more matches and pics, because the points return.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
It does. But for me it sucks because I had premium on Mega so I could upload anytime. Had infinite storage and no size limit to what I uploaded. So it made it very easy to get people's replays sent. I could just sent raw data but most video edit studios don't handle the file type my videos become.

:phone:

PZ

Smash Lord
Did chudat ever enter singles at Apex?
@SS27 Get the wink version of your avi...DO IT NOWZ!!!
O hai kirbz<3
Is falln really doing that well to be a top kirby? O_o

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Wow, we're getting one step further from being more active than the dead character boards.

I think chudat was at apex. And falln is really doing well.

PZ

Smash Lord

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Kewkky is that OK for you?
That i record myself and then i send you the stuff
Sure, why not? I only have replays from two players now though. I'll be needing more (also, moving in 10 days).

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I got my $20 bill with me. I already pre-registers in order to pay $5 for the door fee and both single/doubles, but I might have to pre-register again just to be sure.

But really, it was supposed to be five dollar footdives.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Lol it is five dollars, five to participate in each tourney you are interested in. Door fee is just a door fee, u can't really complain about that. And why would you have to register again? U don't think it worked?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Registering online can be problematic at times.

As it might just magically disappear from one's list. And when you come by, they'll be saying that you weren't on it.
That happened to me before because are often careless about the list, which means that they won't remember your name on it.

I do think it worked, but it's always better to double check.

Top Bottom