• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kentucky Smash Championship!!!! Parallel Worlds... - December 14th, 2013 - Louisville, Ky

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Out of curiosity, where do you live? (Just like city-wise, don't need an address lol).

Best advice I can give is to come to learn and have fun, don't come to win. I mean, if you do win then that's awesome lol but don't let losses bring you down, just focus on how you're playing and what you could be doing better and learn from it. And most importantly have fun. Everyone in KY is super chill so don't be intimidated by asking anyone to play a friendly. Just walk up and say "Hey, you wanna play a friendly?", then off you go. Ask who they are, ask where they're from, get to know them a little bit, break out of your shell a bit, and you'll for sure enjoy your experience.

Now in terms of this tournament, no disrespect towards the organizers, but I wouldn't recommend this as your first tournament for a number of reasons lol.
1. Brawl is going to have a very small turnout, so there will likely be less than half a dozen setups and not a lot of people to meet/play. This is partially due to it being Melee-focused, but that alone isnt't hurting it (my first Brawl tourney was hosted by a Melee guy lol).
2. I assume you're coming alone, which is often something you can't do anything about. But if you're coming to such a small turnout, you might not have as good a time as you would with a bigger turnout.
3. A 3 hour drive for such a small tournament is not something I would want to do myself lol. I've done 3 hour drives by myself before for 20-30 man brackets and those drives are the worst, especially if you don't have someone's house to spend the night at near the venue. (Nearly passed out driving back home more than once). Another reason driving alone isn't fun.

I'm not saying this trying to dampen your spirits or discourage you from coming (I love me some new Brawlers :B), but I just want you to know all of the possible complications of coming to this tournament and whether they'd hinder you having a good time. I don't know if you live in the middle of nowhere and this is the only tournament that's ever been hosted even remotely close to you, or if you've just started and have never even played another human being in Brawl before, but I just am hoping that your first tourney experience will be good to remember. If you've already set your heart on coming, then more power to you lol.

tl;dr melee sucks

Edit: Also, for smaller tournaments like this, it's usually sign-up the day-of, no pre-registration required. Bigger tournaments (like Apex 2014) usually require preregistration, but those are big investments anyway lol.
Ha, well, I live in Tennessee.
It's just that where I live, the ONLY thing they play is Melee, it seems. And those tournaments are all around an hour or so away anyway. But that's not my only reason for wanting to go to this one. None of my friends or even my acquaintances really play Brawl; if they do at all, it's just hardly, and when we have a match, they don't even know what a smash attack is. xP
Besides, even meeting one competitive player would just about make my day, even after a twelve hour drive. (Which, believe me, I've been on plenty of). It's something I'm really excited about, so I don't mind Brawl singles only lasting for a short time. I would be perfectly fine with only ten others there~
And yeah, I'm definitely not coming to win. x3 Just experience, fun, and the chance to meet people who play the same game~

Agent:Guilt~

Smash Cadet
NNID
ImAgentGuilt
I'm just posting to say that I agree 100% with what Shadow the Past said, Amical. The turnout for this with be very light on the Brawl in comparison to other ky events. If you have a facebook you can be added to our very active facebook group for smash. (Helpful for getting acquainted with the community and for finding tournies and whatnot.)
Typing this on my iPhone, forgive me for any possibly ******** errors, it so laggy and stuff, lol.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
It's just that where I live, the ONLY thing they play is Melee, it seems. And those tournaments are all around an hour or so away anyway. But that's not my only reason for wanting to go to this one. None of my friends or even my acquaintances really play Brawl; if they do at all, it's just hardly, and when we have a match, they don't even know what a smash attack is. xP
Besides, even meeting one competitive player would just about make my day, even after a twelve hour drive. (Which, believe me, I've been on plenty of). It's something I'm really excited about, so I don't mind Brawl singles only lasting for a short time. I would be perfectly fine with only ten others there~
And yeah, I'm definitely not coming to win. x3 Just experience, fun, and the chance to meet people who play the same game~
I know how you feel lol, where I live there's nobody who plays brawl within like ~100 miles of here. I didn't start attending tournaments until I moved to college and my roommate told me he played Brawl (and is currently ranked #1 on the Kentucky Power Rankings lol).

And I'm glad you've got your heart set on this :) If I could make one more recommendation, I would say to try and find someone's house to spend the night before and/or after the tourney. Having to do a 3 hour drive early in the morning and late into the night is not fun and cuts into tourney time. Plus you'll get to meet people beforehand and play friendlies all night :) If you do decide to, just ask here and I'm sure someone will be glad to step up to the plate.

Oh,

as mentioned via facebook, I am no longer attending this event. Good luck to everyone else!

shocking :B

SoulPech

Smash Master
I mean,

It's money and there's no interest in traveling to KY when I just got done traveling to MI for a tourney. Make fun of me if you want.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
I know how you feel lol, where I live there's nobody who plays brawl within like ~100 miles of here. I didn't start attending tournaments until I moved to college and my roommate told me he played Brawl (and is currently ranked #1 on the Kentucky Power Rankings lol).

And I'm glad you've got your heart set on this :) If I could make one more recommendation, I would say to try and find someone's house to spend the night before and/or after the tourney. Having to do a 3 hour drive early in the morning and late into the night is not fun and cuts into tourney time. Plus you'll get to meet people beforehand and play friendlies all night :) If you do decide to, just ask here and I'm sure someone will be glad to step up to the plate.
Ah. Ha ha... Well, see, the "staying at someone's house" thing isn't really possible for me. I'm not... Well, I'm not the one driving. xP I'm 14. Heh. So I'm just going to be waking up at around 6:00 in the morning. That's all right, though, I always get up a half an hour earlier for school.
Yes, I know, I'm really young in comparison to just about everyone else here. Like a toddler. :3 Ha, but whatever, there's people like Nairo, right? Even though I'm young, that doesn't change the fact that I still love the Smash series, and therefore I should get all the experience and practice I can if I want to play it competitively~
So, that being said, I hope I can make it to this event. But there's always a slight chance that something could come up.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Ah. Ha ha... Well, see, the "staying at someone's house" thing isn't really possible for me. I'm not... Well, I'm not the one driving. xP I'm 14. Heh. So I'm just going to be waking up at around 6:00 in the morning. That's all right, though, I always get up a half an hour earlier for school.
Yes, I know, I'm really young in comparison to just about everyone else here. Like a toddler. :3 Ha, but whatever, there's people like Nairo, right? Even though I'm young, that doesn't change the fact that I still love the Smash series, and therefore I should get all the experience and practice I can if I want to play it competitively~
So, that being said, I hope I can make it to this event. But there's always a slight chance that something could come up.
I wasn't sure if you were driving or not lol. And yeah, people like Nairo are really good for being really young. LOE1 from michigan is also like 16 or something and he's getting really good. About a month ago at a KY tournament there were two kids there who were probably 8-10 years old and one of them knew a LOT about the game, it was really cool lol.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I should be here..... I may or may not be wearing a hat that says "Amida" on it, if I am just come up and talk to me. Tennessee is awesome, and it is my dream state to go live in one day, so it is cool to see someone travel from that far. I am really friendly so everything you want to know competitively I can teach you, and help you with. This is mainly melee, but it will have some brawl players including me. I will be busy entering a ton of events and doing mms..... but anytime I am free I will gladly play matches with you and introduce you to the community!

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Yeah, I should be here..... I may or may not be wearing a hat that says "Amida" on it, if I am just come up and talk to me. Tennessee is awesome, and it is my dream state to go live in one day, so it is cool to see someone travel from that far. I am really friendly so everything you want to know competitively I can teach you, and help you with. This is mainly melee, but it will have some brawl players including me. I will be busy entering a ton of events and doing mms..... but anytime I am free I will gladly play matches with you and introduce you to the community!
Thanks! I've already been a member of Smashboards for a while, and I know quite a few people here, actually. Just not in the real world. I've been playing only WiFi matches for the past few months, so I've really been wanting to go to a real gathering. I'll look for you~
;3

CyrusShadowBlade

Smash Cadet
I hope to start attending these events more often, so if you're at the tournament this Saturday, I'll probably be one of the only guys playing Samus in Melee. I'll play friendlies with you in whatever.

FancyTickler69

Smash Rookie
Hi,

I'm from Indiana (Muncie to be exact) and I'd love to go to this tournament or just more into the scene. Is there any facebook pages I should join? I can bring a TV & Wii

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215

KOkingpin

Smash Champion

hey we dont just play melee. we play PM too. where do you live in tn?

Also, I wont be able to go to Tipped off so ill come to this tournament instead.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139

Also, I wont be able to go to Tipped off so ill come to this tournament instead.
Ha, I know, just a bit of exaggeration there. xD I live in Nashville~

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Amical if your nashville ur prolly more like 2 1/2 hours its really not a bad drive try dribing 10 1/2 to nj now thats a drive

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Kokingpin anything going on in tenn on a sunday in near to kinda far future? Kodey melee will start when it starts if somebody thinks 3 or 4 is too late they were not going to show at 1 or 2 for example its a classic case of what I like to call jacking dont anyone take it the wrong way either no punt intended we all jack a little bit

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin

Sucks that you couldn't make it to TO9 but I'm glad u can make it to this one . Should be fun.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Amical if your nashville ur prolly more like 2 1/2 hours its really not a bad drive try dribing 10 1/2 to nj now thats a drive
Well, the part of Nashville I live in makes it 3 hours and 7 minutes. To be more specific, I live in Spring Hill.
And yeah, that's a ridiculously long drive to NJ. xD But I drive to NY every year anyway, so I'm used to 12 hour drives.
Anyway, only two days away now! The excitement has intensified! x3

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Hey, if anyone wants to help out on sat, I'll try and get there between 11-12 to set up the stream. I may not be able to bring my good TV, so whoever has the best TV, I want to use yours. Said TV will be used for Brawl until melee's tourneys starts, and so on.

The link for said stream is: http://www.twitch.tv/KneebashSMASH
videos(at least the melee ones, not my channel) will probably be going on: http://www.youtube.com/Reneblade

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Not anymore no. Now its just every time he makes a post with either a runon sentence or just plain bad grammar lmao

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Okay, so I'm just clarifying here because I want to be certain:
If I want to participate in Brawl singles, then I have to be there by 11:00 AM to sign up?
And when does everything start, exactly?
I know it's in the first post, but I want to make sure I'm reading things correctly~

Pfrog

Smash Rookie
Did someone say they are going to bring a 64 setup? I'd love to play 64 friendlies anytime (probably show up about 8). Also what's a decent sized tv, 18 inch?

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Oh god I read that as "Prog" and was about to get hella hype Lmao.
I should have a 64setup on me. I think amida might bring one as well

Top Bottom