• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kentucky Smash Championship!!!! Parallel Worlds... - December 14th, 2013 - Louisville, Ky

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
I have done said brawl is confirmed you ppl need to confirm your attendance if uour coming to play brawl because if not whats the point in hosting brawl I have to go and buy extra setups t I make this work but why spend extra money if ppl are going to just talk about coming but brawl is confirmed ive already order medals for every event including brawl my tournament im the deciding factor but im going to make sure brawl runs quick and smooth as with everything else so that we fit it all in im going to come out with schedule before tourney

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Amida ill play a ton of friendlies with you and ive updated the first page of thread at the bottom so everyone knows the rough estimated schedule

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
All these people dropping on us :(... we should still have a strong outcome. Im looking forward to this for sure.

dr3wski

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm new here. I'm about 10 minutes away from Louisville. This will be my first Smash event. Being that, is there anyway I can just stick around to play friendlies? And do I need to bring anything? Lol. sorry, this is my first time.

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
You don't need to bring anything other than yourself and a controller. Its preferred to bring a setup, but that is optional. If you want, I'll gladly play friendlies with you in melee.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Hi, I'm new here. I'm about 10 minutes away from Louisville. This will be my first Smash event. Being that, is there anyway I can just stick around to play friendlies? And do I need to bring anything? Lol. sorry, this is my first time.
people usually play friendlies before and towards the end of tournaments, but during the beginning parts all set ups are usually being used. I'd suggest coming out and finding people during sign ups that you could play, and I f you don't enter events it's still fun to hang out. Just don't be too nervous to ask people to pay friendlies if there are open setups or people are playing non tournament matches on a tv ask to join. From what I've seen, lots of people want to play friendlies but won't ask to p lay or seek out someone they don't know to play with.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Yah you can play friendlies, but you just gotta pay the venue. A ley of melee and brawl players would be willing to teach you all about tournament play. Good to see more new people and I'm sure you will have fun.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
We also have a FB group if you are interested, in case you wanted to get more into the community.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Sounds cool. Whats the link to the FB group?
I can't link it, you can only be added by a current member.... and I am pretty sure you have to be friends with them. So if you are really interested you can pm me or another member about it, then you can be added.

Pfrog

Smash Rookie
I read through this thread and saw a few references to fight night. Where can I find out more about when these happen or is it just every Saturday at PWG?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
I read through this thread and saw a few references to fight night. Where can I find out more about when these happen or is it just every Saturday at PWG?
Every Saturday starting at 5PM. I'm a regular attendee heheh

Pfrog

Smash Rookie
Ok cool, I might start coming next year. Do you ever advertise it on the fb group? Is it usually just melee?

kellyk1035

Smash Journeyman
Usually melee tournament with some pm on the side, and yes we post about it usually on fb tge day before or on the day but it will be going on tonight

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Hi, so, um...
I'm relatively new to the competitive scene for Brawl. This happens to be the closest event to me that's coming up soon, about three hours from where I live. However, I haven't been to any Smash events before, so how do they... Work, exactly? Can I just come with a controller, pay the fees to get in and to participate in Brawl singles, then just hang out? xP I'd really like to be able to meet and talk with some more experienced players. It's just that I'm not sure if I can just waltz in and participate, haha.
... Or, actually, now that I look at it as I'm typing, did I completely miss the opportunity to sign up? Oh, goodness. xD It makes sense, only being four days away. Well, if I have, then that's fine, I could always go to another one sometime.

Amida64

Smash Journeyman
Hi, so, um...
I'm relatively new to the competitive scene for Brawl. This happens to be the closest event to me that's coming up soon, about three hours from where I live. However, I haven't been to any Smash events before, so how do they... Work, exactly? Can I just come with a controller, pay the fees to get in and to participate in Brawl singles, then just hang out? xP I'd really like to be able to meet and talk with some more experienced players. It's just that I'm not sure if I can just waltz in and participate, haha.
... Or, actually, now that I look at it as I'm typing, did I completely miss the opportunity to sign up? Oh, goodness. xD It makes sense, only being four days away. Well, if I have, then that's fine, I could always go to another one sometime.
You can sign up at the venue. For every event you enter you have to pay a price. (Usually $5 - $10.) Beyond that it costs $5 just to be in the venue. It is really cool you want to get involved, we are very welcoming and you can literally ask anyone to play with you. But you can not be shy, just ask around and people will gladly play you!

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
You can sign up at the venue. For every event you enter you have to pay a price. (Usually $5 - $10.) Beyond that it costs $5 just to be in the venue. It is really cool you want to get involved, we are very welcoming and you can literally ask anyone to play with you. But you can not be shy, just ask around and people will gladly play you!
Oh, really? Well, that's great~
Heh, although I can be rather quiet, I suppose I can attempt to try and push away my nervousness. xD
Okay, then. There's not an absolute 100% chance that I can make it, but I can try. It's likely, though. Thank you! :3

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Hi, so, um...
Just letting you know, this event will probably only have around 10-15 brawl players, as its looking like it will be primarily melee...I have decided that we will run brawl first, and after the brawl tourney, keep one, maybe 2, brawl set ups for friendlies. If your interested in project M or Melee, that might make the 3 hour trip more worth it. There should be many players willing to teach you some brawl stuff and just hang out.

Just bring your controller and stuff to pay venue and tourney fee. There is a subway and some other stuff near by so food money is a good idea.

Goodin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goodin
Sorry for the double post, but I think this needs to be addressed.

So as for schedule and such, I have been thinking this:

11:45: Venue Open ($5 fee, reduced to zero if you have a TV and Wii/ Cube)
12:30: Brawl Singles ($10)
3:00/4:00~: Melee Singles ($10)
----------------------------------------------------
Due to not having an exact number of expected entrants in particular events, the next brackets are less certain in terms of start time and order.
----------------------------------------------------
Project M 3.0 singles ($7)
Melee Doubles ($12 per team)

These events will be played in whatever order people seem to want. Either way should work out.
-----------------------------------------------------
Project M 3.0 Doubles ($10 per team)

If there is time left after both P:M and Melee Doubles, we could possibly run P:M Doubles. We will have the venue until at least 12:00 am, so there is a chance we will have time depending on the amount of entrants in other events and how smoothly we can TO.

Last time we did not get started until around 1:30 because we were short on TVs.. WE WILL NEED ALOT OF TVs AND CONSOLES

There should be room for about 14-16 TVs, and we only have about 8 confirmed TVs. We need many of you to bring a reasonable sized TV. If you bring both a TV and a console, your venue fee will be waived completely.

Kelly you should update the OP and I will link this post on facebook if you think everything looks good.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Hi, so, um...
Out of curiosity, where do you live? (Just like city-wise, don't need an address lol).

Best advice I can give is to come to learn and have fun, don't come to win. I mean, if you do win then that's awesome lol but don't let losses bring you down, just focus on how you're playing and what you could be doing better and learn from it. And most importantly have fun. Everyone in KY is super chill so don't be intimidated by asking anyone to play a friendly. Just walk up and say "Hey, you wanna play a friendly?", then off you go. Ask who they are, ask where they're from, get to know them a little bit, break out of your shell a bit, and you'll for sure enjoy your experience.

Now in terms of this tournament, no disrespect towards the organizers, but I wouldn't recommend this as your first tournament for a number of reasons lol.
1. Brawl is going to have a very small turnout, so there will likely be less than half a dozen setups and not a lot of people to meet/play. This is partially due to it being Melee-focused, but that alone isnt't hurting it (my first Brawl tourney was hosted by a Melee guy lol).
2. I assume you're coming alone, which is often something you can't do anything about. But if you're coming to such a small turnout, you might not have as good a time as you would with a bigger turnout.
3. A 3 hour drive for such a small tournament is not something I would want to do myself lol. I've done 3 hour drives by myself before for 20-30 man brackets and those drives are the worst, especially if you don't have someone's house to spend the night at near the venue. (Nearly passed out driving back home more than once). Another reason driving alone isn't fun.

I'm not saying this trying to dampen your spirits or discourage you from coming (I love me some new Brawlers :B), but I just want you to know all of the possible complications of coming to this tournament and whether they'd hinder you having a good time. I don't know if you live in the middle of nowhere and this is the only tournament that's ever been hosted even remotely close to you, or if you've just started and have never even played another human being in Brawl before, but I just am hoping that your first tourney experience will be good to remember. If you've already set your heart on coming, then more power to you lol.

tl;dr melee sucks

Edit: Also, for smaller tournaments like this, it's usually sign-up the day-of, no pre-registration required. Bigger tournaments (like Apex 2014) usually require preregistration, but those are big investments anyway lol.

Top Bottom