• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

Massive

Smash Champion
If there is enough interest I can look we can look into renting a van for us to all ride in. OR JACE CAN MAN THE **** UP AND USE HIS.

darkrain

Smash Ace
Cheapest flight is $500 atm. If prices come down a little I'll consider it.

Oh, and dmac also has to be there.

:phone:

Massive

Smash Champion
Megabus from Kansas City -> Chicago -> Champaign for like $20 round trip if you get the tickets early enough.
Having ridden aboard a bus for an extended period of time before, I'd rather not do it again. I also highly doubt it will be less than 70 bucks for the trip per person (assuming we don't want to take a whole week to get there, and another to get back).

By my mathemagics, we can get a dodge grand caravan for 7 dudes at 75-80 bucks per person and arrive in style and comfort, as well as be able to drive around town without hitching rides from the bus station.

Ya'll are cheap *******s though, so this is probably not going to happen anyway.

Assuming the same quantity of people, If Jace volunteered his van the trip would cost about 20-25 bucks per person, plus incidentals if the van explodes, the occurrence of which would likely still cost us all less to fix than renting a van.

OH WELL.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
busses do suck. megabus tickets can be between $1 and $10 if you book them early enough though and you'd only need 4 tickets for the trip. i went to champaign over winter break for like $30 and i got 'em the month before.

jace van sounds like the best option for you dudes tho. i'll be riding with rolla/st. louis :p

Jace08

Smash Lord
It's not like I don't want to take my van, I just want to be able to pay for college as well once it inevitably breaks down (me having to buy another car leaves me no money for tuition)

but what the heck, if we really get 6-7 dudes able to go, I can probably take the hit and hope for the best. If it's only like 5 of us though can someone else please volunteer their car?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
All this pressure on Jace and his van!!!

I feel you, though. My car just hit 270k miles today. It's kind of depressing, actually. Especially since I've only been driving for 2 years and I don't know when my car will go to ****.

Massive

Smash Champion
It's not like I don't want to take my van, I just want to be able to pay for college as well once it inevitably breaks down (me having to buy another car leaves me no money for tuition)

but what the heck, if we really get 6-7 dudes able to go, I can probably take the hit and hope for the best. If it's only like 5 of us though can someone else please volunteer their car?
As a rule of thumb it will be just enough people for us not to take one car.
:(

dmac

Smash Champion
god damn it am i going to have to practice again

jace you said you were saving the van for the next smym.... i can dig it up somewhere, but renting a van would be 10000x better

im only going if darkrain goes

Phatgamer1

Smash Lord
I'll spot the money to rent the van and people can pay me back. Seeing as how I am not 25 though, either dmac or massive would have to make the rental. I've got the cash. Big boss job and whatnot. That's my gift to the crew. <3

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I'll spot the money to rent the van and people can pay me back. Seeing as how I am not 25 though, either dmac or massive would have to make the rental. I've got the cash. Big boss job and whatnot. That's my gift to the crew. <3
Hopefully this time you won't have to drive so you can drink all the way to Champaign :):):)

Massive

Smash Champion
I've got a AAA discount we can use to rent it.
We're going to need a quasi accurate headcount so I know how big of a vehicle to rent (regular van seats 7, we can get a conversion van that seats 11/12 as well obviously for MORE MONEY).

Jace08

Smash Lord
thanks massive and phat, that helps me. Yeah it's really important we know who all is confirmed to go asap then. I know I'll be able to. Also I can drive most of the way, least I can do

so who can make it to massive's tonight for Raith's 21st birthday? I'd be fine with going to a bar or whatever haha, I'd just be a buzzkill tho

yeah fyi lawrence is coming tonight

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Count me in for SMYM, I think my controller has one more tourney left before it finally dies...

dmac

Smash Champion
from imdb

Paul Verhoeven: [religious imagery] RoboCop is seen walking on water near the end of the film. Verhoeven has stated that he sees the character as a futuristic version of Christ. Additional references include the gunshot blast to Murphy's hand as Jesus' hands being nailed to the cross, the bullet to Murphy's head seen as the Crown Of Thorns, and Bod****er's blood at the climax of the film turning the water red, like wine.

Jace08

Smash Lord
I know Massive, was directed entirely at Mr. Verhoeven

so does anyone want to go with me and mjg to rolla this weekend? unfortunately there's no st. louis there but you'll get to play the springfield and rolla crews

bunnyavenger

Smash Cadet
I really like the sound of it, smash has gotten less fun IMO as it moved to neutral stages only. I loved picking stuff like Onett, Brinstar and Yoshi's Island (even if that is one of the most god awful choices I could make as peach). Just more fun before when gimmicks were still legit wins because you didn't know how to counter it.

I would be cool with us trying it with all levels minus: Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain and Big Blue for terrible level physics and probably without Mushroom Kingdom 1, 2 and Flat Zone for backthrow KOs and waveshining off the stage. I would deal with Hyrule if we actually get KOs on it but it might need to go too.

Edit: Also if anybody can find/has an extra copy of copy of melee I could buy I've been looking lately and not had any luck. Not desperate enough yet to pay 70+ bucks online from the few places that still have it.

Massive

Smash Champion
Just a reminder to everyone, no Smash this weekend.

My dad is turning 60 and we will be doing various things to make sure he knows it.

bunnyavenger

Smash Cadet
I would be up for trying out the crazy 2 stock rules if anybody in lawrence wants to but I'm awful at 64. If everybody is opposed to it any melee would be fine, somehow I'm free most weekends that massive smash is canceled.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I'll vouch that Future is a good 64 player and he will also be in attendance for that tournament.

if you guys could get a melee tournament I'd probably get some of the guys to go, my car just got fixed so I can actually drive OOS.

Jace08

Smash Lord
hmm a melee tourney at lux's is really unlikely, there's just not enough space and tvs. If we did somehow get one going it probably wouldn't be worth the drive for you all

it's good to hear you guys are ready to travel though, maybe we'll host a local tourney in the future

oh yeah, I forgot to mention mjg and I are going to the rolla tourney on Feb. 18 instead if anyone wants to join us

Top Bottom