• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Kadano's perfect Marth class -- advanced frame data application

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Hey Kadano, have you ever done any testing to see what kind of platform tech chase follow ups Marth has with dair? (akin to the ones you showed with uair)

Tityboi

Smash Cadet
In a situation where you slide off the stage after an amsah tech due to latent momentum, would it be possible to DI up after the tech, making it easier/possible to survive?

Bones0

Smash Legend
In a situation where you slide off the stage after an amsah tech due to latent momentum, would it be possible to DI up after the tech, making it easier/possible to survive?
DI is the act of changing your KB trajectory. After you tech and slide off, holding up or down would have no effect while holding in or away would have minimal effect (the same effect you see when you drift back towards the stage after surviving a KO move). The only ways you can make it easier to survive after ground techs is to:
1. Fastfall to the ledge as you slide off to make your character close enough to grab it
2. DJing asap after sliding off keeps you as close to the stage as possible; Jiggs and Kirby specifically should do a jump and immediately aerial
3. Time an attack/taunt right before you slide off; during the animation, the latent momentum continues to be "used up" so by the time it finishes, you will fly off less far

Watch all of these videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/meleemechanics/videos

I think it's best not to DI the uthrow because getting hit by the lasers from the throw is better than being in pure stun.
It is dependent on the character's weight, but the lasers hitting is usually the only way Falco can true combo from uthrow. If you look at a character like Peach, you can never uthrow bair/uair her if she DIs behind. I think Marth might be the same way, but because he is so much worse at aerial trading than Peach, the direction you DI seems to matter more than whether you get hit by lasers or not. Falco can bair from below in most scenarios unless you get a read on his timing and counter, or if you're high enough to DJ away.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
is uthrow to up B (strong) a reliable kill setup at any percent vs fox/falco?
I was investigating this question myself and here is what I can definitively tell you:

Uthrow will obviously combo into up-b at a higher percent than fsmash, but up-b doesn't ever really eclipse fsmash in terms of knockback.

To give you an idea, a fresh tipper fsmash hitting at 50% produces roughly the same amount of knockback as a tipper up-b hitting at 90%. I'm guessing the 90-100% range is the highest percent you can raw uthrow up-b against any DI, whereas uthrow>tipper has more of a broad 50-70~% range (so fsmash will always have more raw knockback).

There are also some other factors worth considering that gives more credence to fsmash>up-b; namely the difference in height Fox/Falco will be at during the time these respective follow ups hit (an up-b after a 90% uthrow will give Fox/Falco wayyyy more vertical height to work with than they would have from a 50~% tipper). This issue becomes further amplified by the Sakurai angle.

[Which reminds me, @ Kadano Kadano , at what percent does the Sakurai angle kick in for Fox and Falco? Is an fsmash before this threshold more effective due to the lower trajectory? Should Marths really be going for the highest % tipper they can attain?]

With that said, up-b is definitely your next best option if you can't land tipper fsmash/dsmash/dair

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Sakurai angle scales up extremely quickly, before tumble IIRC.

Kadano

Magical Express
is uthrow to up B (strong) a reliable kill setup at any percent vs fox/falco?
Yes, but it is hardly ever a good choice in my opinion. Like @ 1 1MachGO wrote, it is much weaker than tipper fsmash, and when their percentages are too high for that, you can go for either a second-hit-only nair instead (which has almost as much knockback, see the graph at the end of post #2, and considerably less lag for better followups or edgeguarding), or fair strings to dair, fsmash or up-B.

I’d only use up-B if my opponent was at ~100% damage, close to the corners of the stage and if he DI’ed the uthrow away from the stage, because in this case the lag doesn’t limit you even if he DI‘s the up-B perfectly.

@ Strong Badam Strong Badam : Concerning Sakurai angle, see http://www.ssbwiki.com/Sakurai_angle.

Marth’s only attacks that have less than 32 knockback even at 0% damage are:

• Dancing Blade 4↓, hits 1-4 (9.62 KB at 100w; surpasses 32 KB by approx. 160% damage)
• Non-tipper jabs (29.84 KB at 100w; surpasses 32 KB by approx. 15% damage)
• Weakest dtilt hitbubble (29.44 KB at 100w; surpasses 32 KB by approx. 11% damage)
• Weakest bair hitbubble (27.45 KB at 100w; surpasses 32 KB by approx. 3% damage)

I hope this gives you an idea for just how low this angle threshold really is.

Nope, where is it?
Also I have watched a lot of your marth, it's pretty cool
https://www.youtube.com/html5
You need to have this set to on to get the slowdown options.

Hey Kadano, have you ever done any testing to see what kind of platform tech chase follow ups Marth has with dair? (akin to the ones you showed with uair)
Not yet, but I’ll add it to my note of the 100 things I want to explain / explore for Marth.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
I didn't know nair and up-b had the same base knockback O_O
They don’t. I said that nair has almost as much knockback as up-B – approximately 80%. Nair has 50 BKB, up-B 80. But of course, you can always find that information on ssbwiki.com or in Toomai’s hitbox collection.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
Let's say jiggs stands above marth on the platform on bf and marth tries to f-smash her from below.
If jiggs shields in time can she punish with a shield-drop rest?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Let's say jiggs stands above marth on the platform on bf and marth tries to f-smash her from below.
No, tippers have too much shield stun. It'd be possible on FoD and maybe YS if he doesn't tip.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
No, tippers have too much shield stun. It'd be possible on FoD and maybe YS if he doesn't tip.
Wait what? Tipper fsmash does like 20 doesn't it? That's 10 frames of shield stun. If you are hit on platform, the fsmash hits you early, on frame 10 or 11 at most probably. The IASA of fsmash is 48, so you have at least 26 frames to punish him before he can shield. I think that should be enough time for puff to drop low enough to be able to hit the rest. I don't know for sure though, it's probably hard to pull off.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Wait what? Tipper fsmash does like 20 doesn't it? That's 10 frames of shield stun. If you are hit on platform, the fsmash hits you early, on frame 10 or 11 at most probably. The IASA of fsmash is 48, so you have at least 26 frames to punish him before he can shield. I think that should be enough time for puff to drop low enough to be able to hit the rest. I don't know for sure though, it's probably hard to pull off.
Fsmash also has pushback which would create more distance

It probably depends on the stage

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've always thought tippers were impossible to punish with WD OoS -> grab when you were on the ground, so I guess I've been underestimating how much lag it has. I will say that I sort of just assumed it was impossible because I've never been able to do it in practice, but I probably have never been spaced directly above Marth so that it's possible to shield drop into his hurtbox. Most tips on shield tend to be spaced at least a little, and it can be hard to get enough drift to land the rest without DJing into them (which adds a significant amount of time).

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ Ohsm Ohsm I just practiced shielddrop resting marths tipper fsmashes, and I was surprised how easy it is. Every time I got the drop, I also hit the rest, and my opponent was buffering shield. I think you can even shielddrop rest utilt unless the marth buffers a shield.

@ Bones0 Bones0 Fair enough, I didn't think it would be even possible before actually looking into the numbers. It's a bit surprising that the shieldstun difference is only 4 frames. It's quite small when you compare that to the 36-38 frames of end lag, and the reason why tippers fsmash is so much harder to punish is mostly because of spacing and increased shield pushback.

Ohsm

Smash Apprentice
@ Ohsm Ohsm I just practiced shielddrop resting marths tipper fsmashes, and I was surprised how easy it is. Every time I got the drop, I also hit the rest, and my opponent was buffering shield. I think you can even shielddrop rest utilt unless the marth buffers a shield.
nice to hear that, 20XX puff stuff

Last edited:

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Nope, where is it?
Also I have watched a lot of your marth, it's pretty cool

you find the speed option by hitting the settings gear (the same one you hit to access quality settings), and under "speed," you can choose to play the video at 0.25, 0.5, normal, 1.25, 1.5, and 2x.

Kadano

Magical Express
I was busy working on my latest video:
http://youtu.be/iJG-tvT86WU

Yes, like @ T tauKhan mentioned, this is quite easily possible. I counted as much as 13 frames leniency for a fresh tipper fsmash.

@ Kadano Kadano How do you go about making a Patreon?
I went through the registration process. Y’know, like here on smashboards, or pretty much any other website on the internet for that matter.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I went through the registration process. Y’know, like here on smashboards, or pretty much any other website on the internet for that matter.
Interesting, does Paypal and/or Patreon take percentages out of people's donations?

Kadano

Magical Express
Interesting, does Paypal and/or Patreon take percentages out of people's donations?
Yes, see the FAQ on their site. Creators should receive ~90% of the money sent by the patrons. I didn’t receive any yet, though.

Edit: I won’t answer any more questions on this. This is heavily offtopic. Just read their FAQ …

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Yes, see the FAQ on their site. Creators should receive ~90% of the money sent by the patrons. I didn’t receive any yet, though.
Does Paypal take anything out, you have it linked to a paypal right? Is your Paypal linked to a bank account/credit card?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
how long is the cooldown on marth's neutral B? it's not on SDM's frame data list :(

edit: nvm i have the 20XX hack pack it's 24 frames

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
how long is the cooldown on marth's neutral B? it's not on SDM's frame data list :(

edit: nvm i have the 20XX hack pack it's 24 frames
If you use Chrome, I highly recommend downloading the GIF Scrubber extension. You can play GIFs at various speeds and frame by frame just by right clicking them. You can even explode the GIF to view each frame simultaneously.

tm

Smash Ace
Is there a detailed explanation on the criteria for an attack hitting a character out of a grab hold (as opposed to damaging them and giving them stun while keeping them in the grab, like nana's ftilt during wobbling)?

Also for attacks that trigger grab release (when the grabber is hit)? I believe this happens for any attack with knockback but could be wrong.

I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Hey Kadano, if Marth fthrows/dthrows a spacie off the edge at low percent, is there a specific DI which guarantees them the ledge or is it more or less just a battle of mix ups (dtilt covers DI in and drop zone aerials cover DI down/away)?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hey Kadano, if Marth fthrows/dthrows a spacie off the edge at low percent, is there a specific DI which guarantees them the ledge or is it more or less just a battle of mix ups (dtilt covers DI in and drop zone aerials cover DI down/away)?
It depends on spacing and percent. At low percents, you can't get a dropzone aerial out before they DJ aerial into you, especially not from dthrow which has more cooldown. You might be able to get it at higher percents, but I doubt you can get it before they go far enough to just DI away and avoid that anyway. Falco's DJ sweetspot is so hard that you should probably just try to dtilt him if he goes too low to DJ aerial back on. With Fox, I tend to just do a late fair so the hitbox goes below the ledge. The only thing dropzone fair covers is really shine stall or not-good-enough-DI into DJ back, both of which can be dealt with safer options that aren't at risk of getting you DJ daired.

If they're any good, they are mostly going to bounce to the ledge or shinestall with mixed up DJ timings (DJ forward into Marth with an attack/airdodge/to the ledge or DJ back into side/up-B). They may also use walljump shenanigans which is just one more reason to not run off stage flailing around. If you want some middle ground and have a decent read on their habits, I guess you can run off and immediately DJ dair, but if you're wrong they get back with relatively good advantage.

tonic

Smash Cadet
Kadano, I know that a lot of characters have in the order of several hundred different angles for their upB recoveries. Do you know if marth's upB also has this much variance? Which angles are actually relevant? I think it's important to consider for optimal recovery distance/sweetspotting.

Kadano

Magical Express
Kadano, I know that a lot of characters have in the order of several hundred different angles for their upB recoveries. Do you know if marth's upB also has this much variance? Which angles are actually relevant? I think it's important to consider for optimal recovery distance/sweetspotting.
@ajp_anton used to have a diagram of these angles on his website. It’s defunct now, unfortunately, and I didn’t save / reupload it. I’ll wait a week whether he replies to this or the PM I sent him; if not, I’ll look into it myself.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
@ajp_anton used to have a diagram of these angles on his website. It’s defunct now, unfortunately, and I didn’t save / reupload it. I’ll wait a week whether he replies to this or the PM I sent him; if not, I’ll look into it myself.
i think i have the image sitting around on one of my comps, if he doesn't reupload, PM me and i'll find it

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Hi Kadano,

I haven't even been on boards in ages. I've always gotten small pieces of your guide in links of gyfcat.

You and this thread are the reason I redid my smash boards password. This thread is ridic. I already feel like I am a better marth player by just reading this. You are amazing keep it up!

tm

Smash Ace
Is there a way to allow moves to stale in develop / debug mode?

P.S. still looking for answers to this:
Is there a detailed explanation on the criteria for an attack hitting a character out of a grab hold (as opposed to damaging them and giving them stun while keeping them in the grab, like nana's ftilt during wobbling)?

Also for attacks that trigger grab release (when the grabber is hit)? I believe this happens for any attack with knockback but could be wrong.

I can't seem to find this info anywhere.

Top Bottom