• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Kadano's perfect Marth class -- advanced frame data application

Kadano

Magical Express
"I believe it is often plausible to fastfall to ledge when you are about to slide off backwards, and that this may be easier than momentum stalling (easier to time / larger window?)"
-- you did already address this to Hectohertz, but I have a hard time believing that this isn't practical even at high knockback, at least for fastfallers. Would it be too much to ask for you to look into this a bit more and come back with some numbers? :p Not a problem if it's too much work.
I think that for answering your questions, a follow-up video will be the most appropriate way. I’ll do a short video on “Latent momentum” within the next few days, before I do the next main video (A6: “Knockdown, resets and anti-gravity glitch”).
But I can tell you aready that the knockback threshold below which DSDI→fastfall to ledge works is about the same as where you can take the hit normally and survive with good survival DI.

"Also, what is the joystick UP value threshold for starting the walljump during a wall tech? If the joystick is being help up and inwards, what degree angle would that be?"

Kadano, if ASDI and TDI can be used to force yourself into the ground, can it also be used to force yourself into the air? Is it humanly possible to force yourself airborne vs. Fox's shine, land cancel hit stun, and get out of follow ups?
As stated in the video and the DI thread, smash DI cannot put you on the ground from midair nor can it put you in the air from the ground. So no
Well, both in the video and in @Doraki’s thread, only forbidden smash DI was mentioned. There’s also forbidden TDI and forbidden ASDI.

When a grounded character suffers a hit with KB < 80 and base trajectory = [180°;0°], he is not able to TDI at all and the vertical component of his ASDI will be removed.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don’t understand your question, but I’ll simply everything there is to this, hopefully this will answer it.
For DSDI, there are only three relevant hit attributtes: amount of knockback, base trajectory and amount of hitlag.
The higher the knockback, the more distance has to be compensated with TDI and ASDI at a given trajectory.
The higher the base trajectory, the greater the upwards part of the knockback vector. So basically we can approximate: [amount of TDI and ASDI needed]=[knockback]*sin[base trajectory].

The amount of hitlag only matters in that every character that is not DK, G&W, Jigglypuff, Kirby or Mewtwo needs to SDI back to the ground near-perfectly if hitlag is 10 or greater. As hitlag is calculated from hit damage, charging and staling can make a difference here. For example, Marth’s fresh tipper fsmash causes 9 frames of hitlag uncharged, but 10 frames of hitlag if slightly charged. (I think it takes about 20 frames of charging to get to 10 frames of hitlag, but that’s only a guess.)
A completely stale knee only causes 9 frames of hitlag, so SDI would not be necessary for any characters.
OK, I think I can restate the question in a way that makes more sense. Basically what I want to know is more about the properties of DK, G&W, Jiggs, Kirby, and M2. You mention that they don't have to SDI back to the ground near perfectly, but does that mean they can tech more stuff than the other characters (as in moves with more knock back or a higher base trajectory) or does this only apply to the hit lag of Falcon's knee?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I was wondering if it is possible/practical to option select a down tech whenever you input a grounded attack? Like, could you learn to input the same response, such as a fireball motion SDI into the proper TDI, and input the ASDI with the c-stick, to cover most instances of your attack being beaten by your opponent, so that you etched if you were hit? I was actually working on a simpler version of this before the video, but now that the video is out I realise I was missing a lot of important information for making this work (if it could work at all).

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
OK, I think I can restate the question in a way that makes more sense. Basically what I want to know is more about the properties of DK, G&W, Jiggs, Kirby, and M2. You mention that they don't have to SDI back to the ground near perfectly, but does that mean they can tech more stuff than the other characters (as in moves with more knock back or a higher base trajectory) or does this only apply to the hit lag of Falcon's knee?
Their teching ability is not generally superior. Unlike the others, it’s just not inferior if hitlag is 10 frames or more. Read my last response to you again, it answers all of your questions implicitly.
The reason why I'm asking this is because I was wondering if it is possible/practical to option select a down tech whenever you input a grounded attack? Like, could you learn to input the same response, such as a fireball motion SDI into the proper TDI, and input the ASDI with the c-stick, to cover most instances of your attack being beaten by your opponent, so that you etched if you were hit? I was actually working on a simpler version of this before the video, but now that the video is out I realise I was missing a lot of important information for making this work (if it could work at all).
This is a very general question that I can only give a general answer to. For moves with somewhat low angles angles and knockback, this is feasible, sure.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well, both in the video and in @Doraki’s thread, only forbidden smash DI was mentioned. There’s also forbidden TDI and forbidden ASDI.

When a grounded character suffers a hit with KB < 80 and base trajectory = [180°;0°], he is not able to TDI at all and the vertical component of his ASDI will be removed.
Can you give an example of a situation this would apply to? It seems like that would apply to most attacks, but I don't have a very intuitive grasp on how much 80 KB is. Also, do you plan on doing a video about the Sakurai angle? After reading the wiki page for it, it seems like such a huge part of the combo system but almost no one knows about it, let alone understands how it works.

Kadano

Magical Express
Can you give an example of a situation this would apply to?
Fox‘ shine on Marth in NTSC. That’s why it’s possible to waveshine Marth indefinitely – only SDI and ASDI influence the amount of knockback of each shine, and because they don’t make such a large difference, they are not enough to make Fox end up on the other side of Marth (unless he intends to do so).
It seems like that would apply to most attacks, but I don't have a very intuitive grasp on how much 80 KB is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c93Fwem-ngw&t=1m
Also, do you plan on doing a video about the Sakurai angle? After reading the wiki page for it, it seems like such a huge part of the combo system but almost no one knows about it, let alone understands how it works.
Sakurai angle is mostly irrelevant. For example, Jigglypuff’s jab 1 has 361° base trajectory (Sakurai angle). If you hit someone with it repeatedly, he will suffer minimal knockback and stay grounded. This changes somewhere between 70 and 110 % damage, depending on the target’s weight. Above this threshold, he will launch with a very small upwards flying curve.

The knockback will still be minimal, but high enough for the Sakurai angle to effectively be 44° instead of 0°. Almost every hit of a 361° hitbubble will be above this threshold, even at 0% damage. Except for very weak jabs, like Jigglypuff’s and Pikachu’s.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Sakurai angle is mostly irrelevant. For example, Jigglypuff’s jab 1 has 361° base trajectory (Sakurai angle). If you hit someone with it repeatedly, he will suffer minimal knockback and stay grounded. This changes somewhere between 70 and 110 % damage, depending on the target’s weight. Above this threshold, he will launch with a very small upwards flying curve.

The knockback will still be minimal, but high enough for the Sakurai angle to effectively be 44° instead of 0°. Almost every hit of a 361° hitbubble will be above this threshold, even at 0% damage. Except for very weak jabs, like Jigglypuff’s and Pikachu’s.
Okay, thanks. I overestimated how strong 80 KB was so I figured it was applying to situations like Fox nair combos at lower %s.

tm

Smash Ace
Awesome response as usual, and beautiful picture :) I look forward to all the future content.

The reason I ask (about the vertical angle) is because I wanted to know if inputting MSDI to walltech would automatically cause a walljump in the case of slightly below horizontal then slightly above horizontal SDI. (The picture answers this, 'no')

That forbidden TDI is interesting, of course it makes sense in retrospect.

Is fox's jab 361 degree KB? If so, it would make sense that it combos so well into upsmash at high %.

Kadano

Magical Express
Is fox's jab 361 degree KB? If so, it would make sense that it combos so well into upsmash at high %.
No, it has 70° base trajectory. 55% of all normal (non-item) hitbubbles in Melee do have 361° knockback, though.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Their teching ability is not generally superior. Unlike the others, it’s just not inferior if hitlag is 10 frames or more. Read my last response to you again, it answers all of your questions implicitly.
After re-reading your post and reading the Magus posts I think I get it now, but I'll rephrase it so I can be certain I understand it (and others might understand it). DK, Jiggs, M2, and etc have a special property in that their ECB doesn't leave the ground after 10 frames like the other characters do. This allows them to DSDI stuff like Falcon's knee much more easily, because they don't have to worry about crazy SDI after the 10th frame. Otherwise, they follow the same rules as everything else.
This is a very general question that I can only give a general answer to. For moves with somewhat low angles angles and knockback, this is feasible, sure.
OK, that's what I was hoping to hear. So as long as I can identify times at which my opponent will more than likely option select a floor tech.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Yes, and so are … 55% of all normal (non-item) hitbubbles in Melee.
Against Marth (NTSC), Fox’ fresh jab will transition from 0° to 44° trajectory at 30% damage.
this isn't a precise question, just curious to hear your opinion. why was the sakurai angle included in the game?

Kadano

Magical Express
this isn't a precise question, just curious to hear your opinion. why was the sakurai angle included in the game?
Please alter the quote in your post, I was mistaken about Fox’ jab. When I read the question, I was just testing Jigglypuff’s jab (which is 361°) and confused it with Fox‘ jab. @ tm tm

Without the Sakurai angle, attacks like Jigglypuff’s jab would launch the opponent earlier, wtih a very low flying curve. That would look a bit silly. Also, you would be able to SDI every jab reset attempt upwards without the Sakurai angle. Jigglypuff’s jab can’t be SDId from the ground before about 80% damage (the actual percentage depending on character weight). If it was 45° instead of 361°, you could SDI it from 0% on.

Kadano

Magical Express
Kind of unsure what I should cover in the next video.

1. Shielding and powershielding or
2. Latent momentum or
3. Jab resets and anti-gravity glitch

What do you think?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I agree that shielding is the next most commonly misunderstood mechanic. Only Melee Mechanics can dispel the horrible rumor of no shield stun on powershielded physical attacks! lol

Are you going to cover everything shield related in one video? With pokes, shield angling, shield (A)SDI, hard vs. light shielding, and Yoshi specifics to cover, I figured you would do powershielding in a separate video.

Kadano

Magical Express
Are you going to cover everything shield related in one video? With pokes, shield angling, shield (A)SDI, hard vs. light shielding, and Yoshi specifics to cover, I figured you would do powershielding in a separate video.
These things are all fairly intertwined. To explain “hard shielding”, I have to mention digital shield as well, and how that always triggers a powershield window.
I’ll just start the video in the order that seems the most logical, and if it exceeds 10 minutes, I’ll split the rest into another video. I’ll try to save powershielding for as late as possible.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
No, it has 70° base trajectory. 55% of all normal (non-item) hitbubbles in Melee do have 361° knockback, though.
Wait, really? Why you can't cc it then at 0% if crouching (I atleast remember it being that way, can't test right now). I thought the reason was that the jab has 0° launch angle at low kb.

Kadano

Magical Express
Wait, really? Why you can't cc it then at 0% if crouching (I atleast remember it being that way, can't test right now). I thought the reason was that the jab has 0° launch angle at low kb.
There seems to be a knockback threshold below which you can’t impact land. Instead, you stay in your knockback animation (DamageN2, in this case) all the way from hit until land and being grounded.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Well, my experiments never produced that outcome. But the recent phenomenon of “Shine Mines” has proven that even with the same ISO, different testing environments can produce different viable results.

I used an NTSC 1.2 ISO with a few hacks that shouldn’t interfere (default settings and the likes) and both Melee’s develop mode frame advance as well as Dolphin’s frame advance. Because I can’t stand the latter’s 2 frame input delay, I only used it to make sure it wasn’t caused by Melee’s frame advance.
http://ask.fm/Mortality_Axe/answer/117123779929
Tap Jump seems to be a thing to buffer for anything, while it for some reason didn't apply to your testing for JC'ing Shine.
Axe is correct right? Three frames?

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
There seems to be a knockback threshold below which you can’t impact land. Instead, you stay in your knockback animation (DamageN2, in this case) all the way from hit until land and being grounded.
Hmm, that also solves some questions regarding falco's shine combos. Though I have a vague memory of not being able to sdi up the jab when crouching, where you can sdi it when not crouching. Have you tested that?

Kadano

Magical Express
Though I have a vague memory of not being able to sdi up the jab when crouching, where you can sdi it when not crouching. Have you tested that?
I just jabbed a crouching 0% Falco with Fox. He was able to SDI upwards (and not get reset down by the game).

Tap Jump seems to be a thing to buffer for anything, while it for some reason didn't apply to your testing for JC'ing Shine.
Axe is correct right? Three frames?
There’s no answer I can give to your questions that isn’t already covered by the very post you quoted.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Kind of unsure what I should cover in the next video.

1. Shielding and powershielding or
2. Latent momentum or
3. Jab resets and anti-gravity glitch

What do you think?
Shielding and powershielding, please!! Especially no-shield powershielding, I think it has a lot of potential (especially for characters with poorer OoS options)

Plus, shield play & counter-play is such an important part of the game

hectohertz

Smash Ace
These things are all fairly intertwined. To explain “hard shielding”, I have to mention digital shield as well, and how that always triggers a powershield window.
I’ll just start the video in the order that seems the most logical, and if it exceeds 10 minutes, I’ll split the rest into another video. I’ll try to save powershielding for as late as possible.
i agree roughly, i constantly have people very confused on the mechanics behind shielding/light-shielding/SSDI/ASSDI, and friends. these topics could definitely use some illumination.

plus i'm still curious how shieldstun scales are you go from z-shielding to digital-shielding

harMoNiC

Smash Rookie
What actually happens during the (11?) frames that Marth's counter is activating, right before the hitboxes come out? It seems similar to hitlag freeze frames in the sense that the characters stop advancing frames, but neither character is able to SDI during this time (for obvious reasons).

Is there anything else special about those freeze frames and do the same type of freeze frames occur for any other action in the game?

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
What does Marth's ECB look like after he bounces (ledgecancels) off of a platform from an attack? Does it depend on the KB animation you are in before the bounce? I'm wondering if I can horizontal WL out of them.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Thunder stun all Hero-King. You know?

1440×1080 (22MB!): http://gfycat.com/IllinformedIndolentGaur

@ Bones0 Bones0 : that’s not possible. You always enter the generic Fall animation from DamageDown slide-off, which has longer downward ECB extension than Marth’s airdodge.

@ SpiderMad SpiderMad @ harMoNiC harMoNiC answering your questions would require debug-Dolphin mastery, which I haven’t achieved yet. (I’m so familiar and comfortable with Melee’s develop mode that I try to avoid fiddling with debug-Dolphin for as long as possible, so I can’t give you even an approximate date for when I’ll be able to do so.)

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
@ SpiderMad SpiderMad you were right there. Slight backwards on the control stick triggers B reversals. I guess the window in Brawl is more lenient (but it’s not like I ever played that game more than 10 minutes, so I don’t really know anything about its mechanics).

I think any stick input that triggers reverse B moves will cause a side-B if the stick is not released before pressing B.
I used to think so as well, but yeah, it’s not like that. The stick input needs to be within x=[151;175] for reversals to the right and within x=[81;105] for reversals to the left. That’s approximately 22% of the range from the neutral position to straight left or right.

Kadano

Magical Express
@ Bones0 Bones0 and @ SpiderMad SpiderMad your request reminded me that I’ve long wanted to do input-output control stick maps for aerial and grounded special moves.

Airborne:

Reversals obviously only work in the direction behind you. The area in front of you will simply trigger a normal special move.
The grey area indicates the dead zone. It’s not really relevant here except for giving you an idea how far you need to move the control stick to trigger a nB reversal. The dead zone ranges are universal, so the threshold above which you start to walk very slowly when grounded is the same threshold above which you can trigger a nB reversal.

Grounded:

When you are grounded and keep your control stick at y=84 (and x=[81;175]), pressing B will not trigger any special moves. The input is still triggered by the game, though – for example, in environment visibility 3 and 4, it will trigger the camera stats (if the camera is not in its default position).

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
And we assume for Up-b and Down-b that anything to the left or right of a line straight down through the image will trigger Up-b/Down-b in that direction (given the move allows B-turnaround)?

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
And we assume for Up-b and Down-b that anything to the left or right of a line straight down through the image will trigger Up-b/Down-b in that direction (given the move allows B-turnaround)?
That depends on the respective subaction. It’s a completely different thing, really. Up- and down-specials reverse due to inputs read during their animation while nB reversals are triggered by inputs that take place before they start.

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Really? Wait what?

If I hold up and left while facing towards the right in the air, and press b, I'll be doing a Up-b in the other direction with say CF. The up-b starts forward, then 1 or 2 frames into the move it sees if I have my control stick pointed to the left and reverses it? Same for B-turnaround Falcon kick? Does Side-b work like nB or can in theory you do a forward side-b then the 1 frame later thing register the other direction and have it be reversed?

Last edited:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
kadano, do you know the input windows for getting SH double fairs?

and anyone have any general advice on how to do them while retreating (and in general)?
it's pretty much the only tech in the game left that I can't do for the life of me (SHDL, shine grab, hell double shine grab with falco when I'm confident, near perfect ledge dashes, super low/flat ledge hop lasers with falco, shield drops easy). I been asking about this since I joined the forum.

still can't do it at all :x

SpiderMad

Smash Master
SHDF is lenient enough to use the C-stick for both fairs if you want to do total retreating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLklmmYyNk later on in video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGGHCzl_RMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gyIS-HdUgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sqGLVvFEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtOSf5iZhnY later on in video

Not sure what you're doing wrong given you can SHDL and such, if you come to Gamer's HQ sometime I could helpith you. Some day I'll go to another EXP gaming

Last edited:

harMoNiC

Smash Rookie

and anyone have any general advice on how to do them while retreating (and in general)?
it's pretty much the only tech in the game left that I can't do for the life of me (SHDL, shine grab, hell double shine grab with falco when I'm confident, near perfect ledge dashes, super low/flat ledge hop lasers with falco, shield drops easy). I been asking about this since I joined the forum.

I've compiled a couple sets of frame windows for various Marth maneuvers here:
http://tinyurl.com/qxaveoh

SH double fair is in one of the sheets. TL;DR: the frame window for the second fair ranges from 1 to 5 frames depending on how quickly you get the first fair out.

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
The up-b starts forward, then 1 or 2 frames into the move it sees if I have my control stick pointed to the left and reverses it?
That’s the idea, yes. For Falcon, the control stick is read at frame 13, though, not as early as 1 or 2.

Same for B-turnaround Falcon kick? Does Side-b work like nB or can in theory you do a forward side-b then the 1 frame later thing register the other direction and have it be reversed?
Down-B can’t be reversed in Melee, except if the subaction itself provides a turnaround (shine for example). Side-B direction depends only on whether you hit the left or the right red area in the IO maps.

Short hop total air time for instant gravity (fair done on the first possible frame): 36
Short hop total air time for Jump 0 included (fair done at least one frame later than possible): 38

Amount of frames left starting after AttackAirF 29 (all frames beyond this one are interruptible):
Instant gravity: 7 (= 36−29)
1 frame delay on first fair: 8 (= −1+38−29)

Fair’s hitbubbles are active on frames 4 to 7. Thus:

1. If you do an instant gravity fair, your second fair has to be input within a 5 frame window; on frames 29-33 of your first fair. (Not 3 because fair slightly moves Marth’s ECB upwards; enough to delay his landing by one frame.)

2. If you go through Jump 0 (during which gravity is not applied), your second fair has to be input within a 5 frame window as well; on frames 29-33 of your first fair. For every frame your first fair is delayed, the closing of this input window decreases by 1.

Thus, you have a combined leniency of 4 frames for both fair inputs. (Frame perfect execution is counted as 0 leniency.)

I realize @ harMoNiC harMoNiC ninja’d me an hour ago, but I’ve been busy all the time creating a large gfycat that hopefully illustrates the input window perfectly and gives you an easy understanding and visualization of the timing. It’s 60fps, so you’ll probably have to pause it and frame advance with the gfycat viewing options.
If you’d like to have a slower / different version, just request it (be as specific as possible). The frame dumping and input recreating is the most tedious part; changing playing speed and re-uploading only takes 2 minutes.

Direct link: http://gfycat.com/DistantWhiteGrosbeak

Even though this video uses ← + A (I had to do so because the C-stick tilts the camera in develop mode), I recommend always going for C-stick instead. For a real match, thenar grip is the way to go imho. For shdf to the right, I use → + A for the first fair and C-stick for the second.

Last edited:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
SHDF is lenient enough to use the C-stick for both fairs if you want to do total retreating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLklmmYyNk later on in video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGGHCzl_RMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gyIS-HdUgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0sqGLVvFEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtOSf5iZhnY later on in video

Not sure what you're doing wrong given you can SHDL and such, if you come to Gamer's HQ sometime I could helpith you. Some day I'll go to another EXP gaming
thanks homie, I'm living in columbus right now though. but I'll check out the stuff

hectohertz

Smash Ace
@ Kadano Kadano
are you planning on doing a melee mechanics vid that covers the following areas of game physics:
- carrying momentum into jumps
- air control
- latent momentum and moves that can override or change your momentum

Kadano

Magical Express
@ hectohertz hectohertz Yes, all of them are planned. I also have two small new techniques for Marth that help with edgeguarding that are momentum carrying related. There are so many things I’d like to explain but it takes so long to convert the concepts in my brain into videos … =/

Top Bottom