• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

I think it's time for more questions again:
1-Did you watched the cartoon back when it first aired?
2-Did you always knew that K.Rool was a popular Smash choice in Japan?
3-What would be your reaction if K.Rool was playable in Mario Kart 9?
4-What are you going to do when Smash 4 speculation/character DLC is over?
1. No. I don't think it was even shown here (although we had only four channels when I was a kid).
2. I've known it for a long time, at least.
3. I would be excited. Mario Kart's roster needs serious improvement after MK8's terrible roster.
4. Play Smash, and stick around in Smashboards, at least for some time.

Last edited:

Zard lover Doom Desire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
N1ntendogam1ng
1: Nope
2: I had a feeling:4shulk:
3: YEEEEEEEEE!!!
4: Finish talking about my mains' matchups then probably leave Smashboards unless SSB5 becomes a thing (no, it's not SSBU)

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
1. What cartoon nya? Don't hide secrets from me nya...
2. I hadn't a clue until the ballet was announced nya!:nifty:But subconsciously I always knew he was popular nya.
3. I'd purr like no tomorrow nya! I'd drink half a gallon of liquid catnip nya! I'd have a fireworks display nya! I'd sacrifice 2 million mice and 1 human to Sakurai as thanks nya! Nyaaaa~! I'd be a very happy kitty nya. Happier though if K. Rool's announced playable for smash nya!
4. Nyaa~ I'm gonya play solo smash for a bit with the new characters before going back to messing around online with them nya~ I'll probably still be "lurking" around here though nya!

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
1. YES! I thought it was the coolest show when I was a kid because IT WAS DONKEY KONG COUNTRY! That, and I just love all the characters, so I watched it and the Crystal Coconut movie any chance I got.

2. As long as I've been in the speculation scene, yes.

3. After a pants-****ting moment of surprise, I would party hardcore and proceed to stop using Rosalina for once. There's a new Kroc in town.

4. Hopefully kick back and play as K. Rool, if not, I guess I'll follow the competitive scene and put Smash speculation in the back of my mind til Smash 5.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
1-My cousion had it on VHS and we used to it all the time.I have good memories of that cartoon
2-Not really i always thought Japan hated DKC.
3-Interested.K rool would be an interesting addition and it's nice to see DK get more content in the mariop universe.Plus K rool gets another game to his list
4-Stay on smashboards wondering

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
K.Rool moveset!
King K.Rool, Kaptain K.Rool, Baron K.Roolenstein and boxing K.Rool as alts
Taller and heavier than Bowser, also a bit thicker
Speed: Mario
Jump height: ROB
Entrance animation: Jumps out of the Kruiser
Attacks
Jab: Punches straight in front of him
Ftilt: Delivers a nasty hook
Utilt: Grabs hat and swipes above head with it
Dtilt: Sticks leg out to trip foes
FSmash: Headbutts enemy
USmash: Delivers an uppercut
DSmash: Bounces on ground to create a shockwave
Nair: Body slam pose, similar to Dedede and Wario
Fair: Grabs hat and thrusts it like a knife, hat spikes enemies
Bair: Jigglypuff Bair but with tail
Dair: Violently thrusts foot downwards
Grabs and throws
Grab: Grabs his blunderbuss and uses the suction feature
Pummel: Glares with his eye hard enough to damage
Fthrow: Beats foe with blunderbuss
Bthrow: Grabs foe and suplexes them
Uthrow: Savagely bites foe and flings them upwards
Dthrow: Sits on foe
Specials
B: Throws hat, powerful and quick projectile, but obviously long cooldown
Side B: Throws vials that create acid pools damaging anyone who touches it, K.Rool also gets damaged with this
Up B: Flies on a jetpack like ROB, doesn't last nearly as long, but the flame coming out spikes
Down B: Turns invisible, you can still see his shadow, but he'll take extra damage when hit
Final Smash: Charges forward in a blinded frenzy while roaring, anyone hit gets trapped in cages with the Blastomatic firing at them
Non attacks
Taunt1: Yells "THANK YOU THANK YOU" while showing off
Taunt2: Sings the first 12 notes of Gangplank Galleon
Taunt3: Places hand on mouth like in his official DKC artwork while making a surprised look going "Ooh..."
Victory theme: First 13 notes of Gangplank Galleon
Victory pose1: Sits on throne twiddling thumbs while laughing
Victory pose2: Snarls and says "Any last requests?"
Victory pose3: Falls on a stash of bananas and maniacally squashes them while giggling
Guidance: Pit: Who's this fatso lady Palutena? K.Rool : Fatso is it? I'd choose my last words more carefully if I were you... Palutena: Ignore him Pit, King K.Rool, while rather comical, is extremely dangerous, he has stolen Donkey Kongs bananas on multiple occasions. Pit: Bananas? Why would he want those? Are they his favourite food or something? K.Rool: Fool, I find bananas disgusting, I merely steal them to starve the kongs! Palutena: I'd watch out Pit, K.Rool's smart and although he makes the same mistakes, after he realises his current strategy doesn't work, he thinks of something different while improving on that.
Anyone have any criticism? I changed the moveset I made a little so it may still seem familiar to some

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
View attachment 78416
By the time we get a new Direct, Iwata will be a fossil.

Too soon?
-----

Anyone besides me want DKC2 K Rool? With the musket and pirate garb stuff? With the edge of a heavy hitting GUNNER type character? Plus some gimmicky stuff he shoots at you like from the boss fight? (screwing up opponents controls, or making them slower ect)

no just me? Ah...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Quit having BB Hood as your icon then.

Let that series rest.
Because cracking jokes about an important figure of Nintendo that passed away months ago IS THE SAME AS having an avatar of a dead game franchise.

Are you seriously that thick?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Too soon?
-----

Anyone besides me want DKC2 K Rool? With the musket and pirate garb stuff? With the edge of a heavy hitting GUNNER type character? Plus some gimmicky stuff he shoots at you like from the boss fight? (screwing up opponents controls, or making them slower ect)

no just me? Ah...
I want something more encompassing of all he did than just a sole persona. The blunderbuss of Kaptain has a lot of versatility and could be a fair amount of the moveset, but... The Krown, the Jetpack, some good hooks, and probably a bit from the PAON games.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
It lives on by having Morrigan in crossovers

Back to K.Rool, I was thinking about something the other day. Imagine if K.Rool would be a summoner? Summoning Kremlings to attack. It's not what he's known for but as a possible attack it wouldn't be too far fetched
You were called Teh Epic Ryuga or something like that before right? I remember you ^^

It seems like next week it's when we're getting some news.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
A bit belated, but yeah, let's stop having diatribes about Sheik's frame data and whatnot and continue the K. Rool talk. I know "let's get back to K. Rool" is a bit memetic by now, but there's still plenty of good conversation to be had...especially with regard to these question-and-answer posts, those are quite great. Thanks a ton to @Speedwagon for those.

1. No, I didn't watch a ton of TV during the late 90s. The cartoon was over and done by the time I started getting into cartoons.

2. Yes, at least since people started looking into what characters people were interested in Japan. In fact, it's baffling how often people perpetuate the "JAPANESE PEOPLE HATE DKC AND K. ROOL" meme when, for as long as people have looked into their requests, K. Rool's been one of the higher ones.

3. I'm already heavily considering getting Mario Kart 8 this holiday season, and K. Rool being in it would clinch the deal. In particular, I'd hope for a new DK course along with him, since MK8's tracks are so beautifully designed and fleshed-out, in stark contrast to most of Smash 4's new stages.

4. Play Smash 4 from time to time, moreso if K. Rool is in (I may join a local competitive group if he does), stick around the forums casually but not actively speculate, wait for future DK games featuring K. Rool and more animal buddies

Last edited:
To keep your minds away from the leaks and possible news next week, I'd like to share a strange dream I had last night that you folks can interpret. In the dream, King K. Rool was added as two separate characters: Luigi Form and Mario Form.
The Luigi Form K. Rool looked like Sceptile mixed with Mewtwo except he had a red scorpion tail and large, red, lower jaw fangs; similar to a cobra's, but coming from the lower jaw and just red. I didn't see his moveset, but I saw all of his taunts and they were all Mewtwo's taunts. In the dream, I vaguely remember seeing a cinematic of how Luigi became this form and it had explained that he had turned that way similar to the way the Highborne Night Elves from Warcraft turned into Naga.
The Mario Form K. Rool was just Kaptain K. Rool, except he turned into a voluptuous, large breasted, bikini wearing anime chick whenever he taunted. The camera would zoom in on him while he was taunting and he would do explicit things with bananas while speaking Japanese.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Big Miiverse? (Which was the stage in the dream)
Oh man. Even more room for displaying horrible posts! :laugh:

I love these. Please keep this going.

I did! It didn't make it to the UK until 1998, and it aired on Fox Kids UK, which was a channel not included in most cable TV or satellite TV packages at the time, so I had to ask friends to record episodes for me. I always looked forward to receiving those tapes!

In spite of not being in most TV packages at the time, Fox Kids UK heavily promoted the show, and there were huge posters of Diddy and DK adorning bus-stops up and down the country when it started airing.

The channel was run out of Granada Studios, which had a tour that was open to the public at the time, and you could see the Fox Kids UK studio during filming, which was pretty neat. Unfortunately, to my disappointment, they didn't sell any of their promotional posters in the gift shop, so there was no way to get a smaller replica of the DKC TV series bus-stop posters. :c

I did always have an inkling of this, yes. I used to follow the import scene closely as a kid (do any British folks here remember Super Play? Their SNES import coverage was superb), and was very well aware from even the earliest days of my DK series fandom that DKC was ENORMOUSLY popular in Japan. It only stood to reason that a beloved villain like K. Rool was surely going to be a popular ballot pick all these years later, with countless folks questioning why he isn't in Smash already.

I'd be really surprised, since they've cut Diddy and Funky out for two games running at the time of writing. :p

Keep playing Smash 3DS/Wii U, and keep dropping in here. ;)

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
1. No, but I did see reruns on Fox Family while it was still around.
2. No. I was even surprised to see that he was indeed popular over there the first time I learned that.
3. I could scream like a little fangirl, or just be super happy.
4. I am just gonna play Smash with all the new characters.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
1. Nope. Though when I wad a kid I randomly channel surfed once and found an episode of the DKC cartoon on the French channel France 2, I didn't know there was a DKC cartoon at the time so I was surprised and curious to watch it. Though there were about 15 seconds left before the end of the episode, unfortunately. (FYI, it showed Candy giving a gift to Donkey for what I remember)
2. No, once during the ESRB era I saw someone saying "K. Rool is unlikely because he doesn't have support in Japan" and blindly believed it. I was happy to learn that he's actually a popular choice over there during the DLC era.
3. While I think DKC contents in Mario Kart and other spin-offs should be limited (though I'll give a free pass to Super Sluggers ahah), I still would be pleasantly surprised to see him making a new appearance in a Mario spinoff. I don't think he's meant to be a staple of that series, though.
4. I'll still be looking for the future of Nintendo, including the NX, and new games coming on their systems. For sure I'll be less active on Smashboards, too. Hopefully I'll enjoy Smash 5 speculation when it comes from the start until the end, while I only jumped on the Smash 4 speculation train when the Little Mac trailer in the February 2014 Direct reminded me that Smash 4 was a thing lol.

Besides, I thought about launching my own K. Rool related daily series as well. I'll probably start it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well, Kutthroats; It has been a full 4 months since we last received a Direct. Here's hoping we get some sort of news next week (I consider it extremely likely with the whole 4 hour maintenance going on).

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
1- Sadly, no.
2-I had the impression that he was not that popular, but now I see the opposite.
3-I'd actually consider playing and buying it.
4-Stay around here, but I won't be as active.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, Kutthroats; It has been a full 4 months since we last received a Direct. Here's hoping we get some sort of news next week (I consider it extremely likely with the whole 4 hour maintenance going on).
I think we're most likely getting a Direct next week as well. There's so many things pointing towards it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
1: Did I watch the DK Country show? Not really. I knew it existed cause of the advertisements for it, and if anything, the only vague thing I remember about it was Donkey Kong going rogue, though I don't think that actually happened... Wait, maybe he became a were-kong or something? I wonder if I'll have to watch them and try to find that one episode...

2: Sort of. Knowing the pre-3DS era, K. Rool was very well requested.

3: I'd love to see K. Rool in Mario Kart over those lame non-characters that are Pink-Gold Peach.
4: After K. Rool's confirmation, I'll still be pushing for the other characters that I want, but still having a bit of fun playing as the King.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
1: Did I watch the DK Country show? Not really. I knew it existed cause of the advertisements for it, and if anything, the only vague thing I remember about it was Donkey Kong going rogue, though I don't think that actually happened... Wait, maybe he became a were-kong or something? I wonder if I'll have to watch them and try to find that one episode...
Here you go - Nelvana was officially allowed to put the whole series on YouTube on their Nelvana Retro channel. :grin:

1. No, I wasn't even born yet.
2. Not really, like many I thought that " Japan hates DK","DK isn't popular over there",etc.
3. It's about time, Nintendo.
4. Beside playing as His Greatness, I'll probably stay around and talk on the social boards.
I know this is late, but happy 1,200 pages everyone! :happysheep::disco:

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
More questions!

1. Maybe one or two episodes. I was too young to remember. Heck, even back then, I didn't watch a lot of tv.
2. I was shocked. I had a feeling K. Rool was popular here in the states, but I had no idea he was so wanted by the japanese. Makes me very happy.
3. Surprised! Now if only we can get Diddy and Funky Kong back in Mario Kart.
4. Not sure yet.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Yoshi's Woolly World makes me want a DK fabric game. It could be the debut of King K. Rochet.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yoshi's Woolly World makes me want a DK fabric game. It could be the debut of King K. Rochet.
'Eh, DK doesn't fit that aesthetic very well. DKC is more about vibrant living worlds than things like that, Kirby and Yoshi fit that aesthetic well.. DK not so much.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
To keep your minds away from the leaks and possible news next week, I'd like to share a strange dream I had last night that you folks can interpret. In the dream, King K. Rool was added as two separate characters: Luigi Form and Mario Form.
The Luigi Form K. Rool looked like Sceptile mixed with Mewtwo except he had a red scorpion tail and large, red, lower jaw fangs; similar to a cobra's, but coming from the lower jaw and just red. I didn't see his moveset, but I saw all of his taunts and they were all Mewtwo's taunts. In the dream, I vaguely remember seeing a cinematic of how Luigi became this form and it had explained that he had turned that way similar to the way the Highborne Night Elves from Warcraft turned into Naga.
The Mario Form K. Rool was just Kaptain K. Rool, except he turned into a voluptuous, large breasted, bikini wearing anime chick whenever he taunted. The camera would zoom in on him while he was taunting and he would do explicit things with bananas while speaking Japanese.
Dude. Whatever you're on, stay on it.

Unrelated to wacky dreams: I've been playing a bit of DK64 for the first time recently. It's terrible. I don't know where to go or what to do, and the camera is atrocious, and it shouldn't have falling damage, and it feels shoddy overall. And the Monkey Rap is better in Melee. (Yeah, I said that.) But the stage music is good and it still makes for an amusing history lesson. I had an N64 during its time but my only games were Kirby and Pokémon. Super Smash Bros. Melee's characters and trophies introduced me to a LOT of new things, but I couldn't get my hands on DK64 until the Virtual Console release. I'm not sorry that I bought it, but I'm sorry that I don't like it.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Unrelated to wacky dreams: I've been playing a bit of DK64 for the first time recently. It's terrible. I don't know where to go or what to do, and the camera is atrocious, and it shouldn't have falling damage, and it feels shoddy overall. And the Monkey Rap is better in Melee. (Yeah, I said that.) But the stage music is good and it still makes for an amusing history lesson. I had an N64 during its time but my only games were Kirby and Pokémon. Super Smash Bros. Melee's characters and trophies introduced me to a LOT of new things, but I couldn't get my hands on DK64 until the Virtual Console release. I'm not sorry that I bought it, but I'm sorry that I don't like it.
If it makes you feel any better, you aren't the only one. It's simply not the sort of game I gel with, myself, and it's one of very few games that I returned for a refund (the other most notable one being Kirby & The Amazing Mirror) under the "No Quibble Returns Policy" that GAME (the only major games retail chain in the country*) had back in the day.

*EDIT: Pardon me, I'm being stupid. I totally missed that your profile panel says you're from the UK, so you already know this. :laugh:

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Dude. Whatever you're on, stay on it.

Yep, the music was what kept me playing when I had my first playthrough on the Wii U. And the fact that it's the only real collectathon and N64 Rare-game on the Wii U. But the worlds felt so empty (excluding the collectables) that I wished for a BK VC release all over again. Still worth playing through, but I'm fine with having it played once.

Top Bottom