• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It is not as though I actually want Shovel Knight, but perhaps I do not understand this rumor properly. Does it exclude King K. Rool or something? I do not believe that these two characters are mutually exclusive.
I believe the general idea is that if Sakurai is adding Shovel Knight he is so incompetent he couldn't possibly add King K. Rool.
I don't agree with it, myself.
The person spreading the rumour stated that K. Rool has less of a chance than Shrek, because of the Mii costume.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Yachtclub just declined a direct question from Tamaki on twitter. He asked them if they had any comments on his Smash rumor, they said that they had "lots to do" and were on the road for PAX right now.

EDIT: I guess I should drop this, since this is the K. Rool thread. Sorry for dragging this further OT.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
But with Smash 4, the game has changed, so to speak. A majority of the newcomers are characters from relatively recent games and franchises instead of how it was before. It's only natural and it makes sense. Brawl covered pretty much every popular Nintendo franchise in some way with the exception of maybe Animal Crossing, which was immediately fixed in the next game. Say what you will about the game, but the roster was excellent, all things considered. There was something for everyone in there.
Smash 4 has a shift in focus to cover new or less recognized games and franchises, to the point where Greninja was pulled from unfinished concept art just so they could have him ready for the game. This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm glad Nintendo is finally showing more support for their newer/lesser known games and IPs. Somebody like Shulk wouldn't have made Brawl.
Your argument is extremely flawed, as per usual whenever this argument is brought up. All of these scenario's apply EXCLUSIVELY to Nintendo owned video games and IP's. Nintendo owns these intellectual properties, that's an entirely different ball game from Shovel Knight.

You should instead compare all of the non-Nintendo characters in Smash Bros. Here's where it gets interesting:

Brawl:
Solid Snake - First announced third-party character ever. Not heavily tied to Nintendo, but Metal Gear Solid is a multimillion dollar franchise and is very long-running.

Sonic the Hedgehog - 100m seller, extremely iconic video game character, once a rival to Mario.

Smash 4:
Mega Man - First announced Smash 4 third-party character, extremely iconic and long-running video game character, massive history with Nintendo, been in existence since the NES.

Sonic the Hedgehog - Returning from Brawl, still a 100m seller, one of the best selling video game franchises of all time.

Pac-Man - The king of video games pretty much, ever since the early arcades. Not nearly as well-known for his console games but he's still extremely iconic.

Ryu - The king of fighters. Ryu is a very iconic video game character from an extremely well selling, long-running video game franchise that has existed since at least the SNES. Street Fighter II was a phenomenal success of the SNES.

Shovel Knight - Very successful Kickstarter game from two years ago. Has one game to his name, sold 700k copies.

Yachtclub just declined a direct question from Tamaki on twitter. He asked them if they had any comments on his Smash rumor, they said that they had "lots to do" and were on the road for PAX right now.

EDIT: I guess I should drop this, since this is the K. Rool thread. Sorry for dragging this further OT.
Ok? They shut down statements from other people repeatedly in the past. They're probably just tired of the BS.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
The thing I don't like about Shovel Knight and Shantae is that if they were to be added, it would feel more like Smash advertising them, rather than a tribute to them (like the other 3rd parties)
Oh yeah. Because it's not like Robin and Lucina and Dark Pit and Palutena and Shulk and Rosalina didn't feel like advertisements at all.

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
Your argument is extremely flawed, as per usual whenever this argument is brought up. All of these scenario's apply EXCLUSIVELY to Nintendo owned video games and IP's. Nintendo owns these intellectual properties, that's an entirely different ball game from Shovel Knight.

You should instead compare all of the non-Nintendo characters in Smash Bros. Here's where it gets interesting:

Brawl:
Solid Snake - First announced third-party character ever. Not heavily tied to Nintendo, but Metal Gear Solid is a multimillion dollar franchise and is very long-running.

Sonic the Hedgehog - 100m seller, extremely iconic video game character, once a rival to Mario.

Smash 4:
Mega Man - First announced Smash 4 third-party character, extremely iconic and long-running video game character, massive history with Nintendo, been in existence since the NES.

Sonic the Hedgehog - Returning from Brawl, still a 100m seller, one of the best selling video game franchises of all time.

Pac-Man - The king of video games pretty much, ever since the early arcades. Not nearly as well-known for his console games but he's still extremely iconic.

Ryu - The king of fighters. Ryu is a very iconic video game character from an extremely well selling, long-running video game franchise that has existed since at least the SNES. Street Fighter II was a phenomenal success of the SNES.

Shovel Knight - Very successful Kickstarter game from two years ago. Has one game to his name, sold 700k copies.
Note where I said that DLC opens things up a bit more. They can and likely will play with our expectations more with their new amount of freedom. Shovel Knight is just one way they could do that, and it's not like he'd be an unpopular choice.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Looking at the post if shovel knight gets in. (According to rumors)

Wait a second do you guys think shovel knight is going to be the only ballot character?

If so

You really think the ballot is for 1 character only?

No way the ballot last way to long fo just one guy besides diden't you guys forget they rearange the roster when it expands

And the fact of sakurai stating hes going to try to get as many dlc characters possible (not like 20 more atleast more than 1 for ahort.). look at his interview on dlc guys.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Oh yeah. Because it's not like Robin and Lucina and Dark Pit and Palutena and Shulk and Rosalina didn't feel like advertisements at all.
I know they were clearly promoting those games. But I feel like it would be different to have 3rd party games promoted rather than a Nintendo game.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
What makes this is so frustrating is that K. Rool fans like myself have been facing an uphill battle for years. He wasn't in Jungle Beat, he wasn't in Country Returns, he wasn't in Tropical Freeze, and he wasn't in the Smash 4 base roster despite being a highly requested character worldwide. Fast forward a few months and Nintendo announces the Smash Ballot, K. Rool dominates every exit poll, people act like he's a "shoe-in" despite the character's long absence, and then Nintendo reveals a Mii costume that resembles the gutted carcass of our beloved king. Now this is happening. No, the Mii costume doesn't necessarily deconfirm the character, but you have to understand why this is such an emotional subject for some people. Contrary to what NeoGAF thinks, this isn't some recent bandwagon. How can you possibly expect people to stay optimistic after we've been burned so many times? I already suffer from extreme anxiety, and this... uncertainty is going to drive me insane, much like the king himself. I could use a hug or two.
*hug*

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Seriously guys

They're going to be more than 1 ballot character in smash 4

Sakurai said he wants to make as many as possible on the interview about mewtwo and lucas and roy and ryu all pre-planned (i think it was that one.

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Looking at the post if shovel knight gets in. (According to rumors)

Wait a second do you guys think shovel knight is going to be the only ballot character?

If so

You really think the ballot is for 1 character only?

No way the ballot last way to long fo just one guy besides diden't you guys forget they rearange the roster when it expands

And the fact of sakurai stating hes going to try to get as many dlc characters possible (not like 20 more atleast more than 1 for ahort.). look at his interview on dlc guys.
The guy who is leaking this has said theres only two characters left as DLC. One is Shovel Knight. And the other is not K Rool or Snake

Seriously guys

They're going to be more than 1 ballot character in smash 4

Sakurai said he wants to make as many as possible on the interview about mewtwo and lucas and roy and ryu all pre-planned (i think it was that one.
Sakurai said he only had several characters left. If Shovel Knight is in smash, and revealed soon as this guy implies, then we are likely to only get one other character as well. So for our sakes here, Shovel Knight and K Rool are mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The guy who is leaking this has said theres only two characters left as DLC. One is Shovel Knight. And the other is not K Rool or Snake
To be fair, he didn't say K. Rool and Snake are definitely disconfirmed.

He said he thinks the characters are dead in the water, but that's about it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Sakurai said he only had several characters left. If Shovel Knight is in smash, and revealed soon as this guy implies, then we are likely to only get one other character as well. So for our sakes here, Shovel Knight and K Rool are mutually exclusive.
No he didn't. He never said there were only two characters left, that was a misnomer. Plus, Shovel Knight being in Smash does NOT mean this guy is right about anything.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I've followed this thread and threads for the other popular characters for a while now, but I've never actually felt compelled to post in here now. I feel like some clarification is in order regarding Shovel Knight, since people seem to want to go out of their way to discredit him in thsi thread with any reasoning they can think of, even if it doesn't really make any sense.

People say Shovel Knight isn't "Iconic enough." or doesn't have the legacy or relationship with Nintendo to be in Smash, which would have been a fair assessment like 7 years ago when Brawl came out. The reason there are so many rules in regards to who gets into Smash is because the developers need guidelines for who to consider with their limited development time. They need to make the most of their time and make a Roster full of both characters people love and characters that will surprise them. They need to do the best they can with the time they have.

But with Smash 4, the game has changed, so to speak. A majority of the newcomers are characters from relatively recent games and franchises instead of how it was before. It's only natural and it makes sense. Brawl covered pretty much every popular Nintendo franchise in some way with the exception of maybe Animal Crossing, which was immediately fixed in the next game. Say what you will about the game, but the roster was excellent, all things considered. There was something for everyone in there.
Smash 4 has a shift in focus to cover new or less recognized games and franchises, to the point where Greninja was pulled from unfinished concept art just so they could have him ready for the game. This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm glad Nintendo is finally showing more support for their newer/lesser known games and IPs. Somebody like Shulk wouldn't have made Brawl.

You also have to consider that DLC eliminates a lot of the limitations that came before when trying to develop previous games. They don't have to worry about a deadline anymore, which opens up more possibilities for who they can consider. Roy isn't a character you'd worry about including in the base game, but as DLC? why the hell not. He's easy enough to make and the fans will like it. DLC opens up the door more than you make think. The rules that applied when composing the roster for previous Smash games don't apply anymore. They can go wild since they have lots of time to do whatever, and I hope they take advantage of that and go with some crazy choices.

Combine all this with the fact that the ballot very clearly openly welcomes ANY video game character, not just Nintendo, and I think Shovel Knight makes a lot of sense. I can't think of many other indie games that have been such a huge hit. It'll build Shovel Knight up as a franchise, open the door for indies all over, and strengthen Nintendo and Yatche club's relationship.

It's also pretty blatant that he's popular and wanted for the game. The "he's just a fad" complaint never made any sense to me. It implies indie games are lesser games, and Shovel Knight's status as a hit and cameo spots in so many other games doesn't mean anything. It underplays Yacht Club's accomplishments, and it feels like a complaint one of K Rool's own detractors would come up with. Every big indie game has been fondly remembered for years by gamers, so I don't see how Shovel Knight would be different.

Besides, Sakurai has been breaking all the "rules" the fandom seems to have come up with on who can and cant get into smash since the game was announced. I honestly don't think they apply much anymore as most of them are broken by one character or another.

Now, in regards to K Rool himself's chances, I was pretty sure before that he had a good chance, considering all the people voting for him, but when thinking all of this stuff over, now I think it depends purely on whether or not he has a future in the Donkey Kong franchise or not. Smash 4 seems to prioritize new characters over old favorites, which, as I said before is very much a good thing, but if King K Rool has no future in the Donkey Kong franchise while Nintendo continues to look forward and open up the door a bit more, he may be left in the dust. We'll have to see what happens with Donkey Kong from here, but I get the feeling the only way he'd make it into Smash 4 is if Retro is working on something with him in it.
See, the thing is, Smash 4's newcomer criteria is not universally beloved. Some people don't like the idea of characters becoming playable for mostly promotional reasons, while others are willing to accept new characters, but also hope for their older favorites to get some attention as well. They get upset because, rah rah, new characters and series are getting publicity, but older favorites are languishing in the dust. People say "there are fewer favorites to add" now, but if that's the case, why are they not first in line? Why do we still have to pine for one, two or three individuals while countless others get free passes based not on how interesting they are or what support they have, but how recent their latest game was (and the flawed assumption that this makes them inherently more appealing)?

People got hyped the Smash Ballot partly because it represented an opportunity to break free of that of straitjacket and set forward what characters they want, and thus what criteria they want deciding their newcomers. And when that seems to go up in smoke despite "fanservice from here on out" carrots dangled before them in favor of more of the same, that's going to make people angry. And then they're told "don't be angry," "you're a loser/whiny/delusional for being angry," or "how dare you be angry," from users who act as though them not feeling that way makes them superior. That just hastens the process.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
To be fair, he didn't say K. Rool and Snake are definitely disconfirmed.

He said he thinks the characters are dead in the water, but that's about it.
I hope so, but why would he say we are only getting two characters if he doesn't know more about them?

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Oh **** you Nintendo. Just **** you! I have nothing against Shovel Knight but if you put him over King K. Rool you can go to hell! I will never buy another console of you agian.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
So on a different track thinking on a positive idea. When K.Rool is brought back by Retro, what if they have him fully voiced to contrast, what would you guys want for the voice? just an American one, or a British one in reference to the original developers, the history of the character, and possibly to make him more menacing?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

Everybody calm down, please. We don't want the thread locked.​

Bananija

Count of Trickery
So on a different track thinking on a positive idea. When K.Rool is brought back by Retro, what if they have him fully voiced to contrast, what would you guys want for the voice? just an American one, or a British one in reference to the original developers, the history of the character, and possibly to make him more menacing?
British would be great for all the reasons you said.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I came here to drop my mixtape. Hit up my SoundCloud @ "SupaHotFiyahFox". It's fire, yo.

Serious note: I don't think it is worth overreacting for the potential deconfirmation of K. Rool. Despite the controversial Mii costume, it at least recognizes his importance to the DK franchise; Dixie only got a recolor for Diddy.

Technically, both K. Rool and Snake aren't deconfirmed. The leaker didn't specify.

All right, I'm out of here. Stay civil.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
If the ballot had only two characters it would be a dissapointment even if K Rool was one of the two. Theres no way they would go through the trouble of the ballot just to add two characters.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If they did this, he'd have to be British, for all of those reasons.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That is one of the reasons I consider them (Robin aside, solely because of how creative their moveset is) the worst newcomers in Smash history.
If the ballot had only two characters it would be a dissapointment even if K Rool was one of the two. Theres no way they would go through the trouble of the ballot just to add two characters.
I don't expect the ballot to end in more than two characters at all. Two newcomers plus Ryu plus the veterans is pretty great to me.

As long as at least one of my most wanted characters is one of them ^^

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Not confirming or deconfirming the rumors (still on the fence) but thought I'd throw my two cents in the ring.
I have nothing personally against Shovel Knight. I actually think his games are a fun throwback to the golden age of gaming and terrific fun.
I DO have a problem with him getting in if he gets in before/in place of the likes of K. Rool and some other highly requested characters.
I mean, c'mon Nintendo. K. Rool's been requested since Melee, he's had a strong history with Nintendo, he all but dominated most all the polls I saw...What's the deal?! If Sakurai and his team can't come up with a unique, fun moveset for him, maybe it's time they pass the Smash torch on to someone else. The character has a WEALTH of potential moves and such...I guess I don't see the problem unless Sakurai and Co. just don't like the character.
Which would be a darn shame.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705

What the hell did just happen?
Can't get enough of that image...

So far:
-The K. Rool costume
-IMDB adding Shantae and Layton to the voice cast of Smash
-Shovel Knight amiibo at an online store
-Shantae winning that random reddit poll that didn't even had K. Rool, some news sites made a huge fuzz of it
-And now some guy who has more credibility over the normal internet shmuck claims Shovel Knight will be announced soon

We are getting holes in the Kremling ship ever week it seems. But Im not that worried even, just anxious. How many days until the ballot ends?...
...38 days still.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Not confirming or deconfirming the rumors (still on the fence) but thought I'd throw my two cents in the ring.
I have nothing personally against Shovel Knight. I actually think his games are a fun throwback to the golden age of gaming and terrific fun.
I DO have a problem with him getting in if he gets in before/in place of the likes of K. Rool and some other highly requested characters.
I mean, c'mon Nintendo. K. Rool's been requested since Melee, he's had a strong history with Nintendo, he all but dominated most all the polls I saw...What's the deal?! If Sakurai and his team can't come up with a unique, fun moveset for him, maybe it's time they pass the Smash torch on to someone else. The character has a WEALTH of potential moves and such...I guess I don't see the problem unless Sakurai and Co. just don't like the character.
Which would be a darn shame.
Agreed. I know this is an extreme time, in the thread and off the thread, as dlc is on the rise whether we like it or not, smash 4 was and is an amazingly developed game. But if they really can't seem to take fan requests (make King K. Rool playable) despite MAKING a poll for fan requests, maybe it is time for the "torch to be passed on" to someone who values their fans feedback more and ACTUALLY implements fan requests rather than giving us cheesy costumes that might have been interesting to play with when I was 8 years old for more than 10 minutes. I wasn't even apart of the "ridley" thread or situation as a whole, I was completely neutral, but if they're going to ridley us TWICE, then It's definitely time for the torch to be passed on. Going to calm down now before I say some regrettable things...
:drfacepalm:

Last edited:

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
See, the thing is, Smash 4's newcomer criteria is not universally beloved. Some people don't like the idea of characters becoming playable for mostly promotional reasons, while others are willing to accept new characters, but also hope for their older favorites to get some attention as well. They get upset because, rah rah, new characters and series are getting publicity, but older favorites are languishing in the dust. People say "there are fewer favorites to add" now, but if that's the case, why are they not first in line? Why do we still have to pine for one, two or three individuals while countless others get free passes based not on how interesting they are or what support they have, but how recent their latest game was (and the flawed assumption that this makes them inherently more appealing)?

People got hyped the Smash Ballot partly because it represented an opportunity to break free of that of straitjacket and set forward what characters they want, and thus what criteria they want deciding their newcomers. And when that seems to go up in smoke despite "fanservice from here on out" carrots dangled before them in favor of more of the same, that's going to make people angry. And then they're told "don't be angry," "you're a loser/whiny/delusional for being angry," or "how dare you be angry," from users who act as though them not feeling that way makes them superior. That just hastens the process.
One thing people need to realize is that what counts as fanservice for one half of the Smash fandom would count as dissapointment for the other half. Shovel KNight would please a lot of people and dissapoint a lot od people, as would K Rool. No matter how this turns out, a huge chunk of people are going to be pissed off, just like with every character announcement so far.

The "old favorites" aren't first in line simply because they had to move on and push for the new guys at some point. A lot of them had more attention on them than any old favorites that aren't already in the game to begin with because they have the advantage of being new characters. It's not like they had no support(the majority of the newcomers did with the exception of Duck Hunt, Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer) But support + being a new character is obviously going to have an advantage over someone like K rool, who's franchise seems to be moving on without him(I have no clue as to why that's happening, but whatever.)

If K Rool gets back into the DK series, I could easily see him getting into smash. Not sure what's going to happen with him until then.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Can't get enough of that image...

So far:
-The K. Rool costume
-IMDB adding Shantae and Layton to the voice cast of Smash
-Shovel Knight amiibo at an online store
-Shantae winning that random reddit poll that didn't even had K. Rool, some news sites made a huge fuzz of it
-And now some guy who has more credibility over the normal internet shmuck claims Shovel Knight will be announced soon

We are getting holes in the Kremling ship ever week it seems. But Im not that worried even, just anxious. How many days until the ballot ends?...
...38 days still.
The first one is a small hole and the others will fix themselves, so nothing to really worry about.

Me too I can't get enough of it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Man, it is a shame people are still overreacting about the so called "leak", even with that comment from Yatch Club's twitter I posted a few pages back. I have been calm the whole time, and I never let this whole thing get to me one bit. I still have faith K. Rool could be in Smash.

That said, you all just need to have faith and calm down. This battle, even if the leak isn't true, may be lost; but regardless, the war is far from over. We just have to keep supporting our king and not stop here. Never give up, my fellow cutthroats. You never know if you may be wrong about K. Rool's chances.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Hello from the snake thread. We've also received word on the tweet. I'm also a supporter of K Rool and was surprised to see that comment. Hope for the best guys.

Top Bottom