• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Over 1000 pages! I don't think I've ever seen a character get as much support as K. Rool. I'll raise my mug and drink to the King. Lets get him in Smash!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm a little late to the party, but many congratulations on 1000 pages, krew!

I seem to remember that one of my first posts in this thread was a congratulations on another milestone, so this is sort of nostalgic, in a way. :laugh:

Whether we have a K. Rool sub-forum for organizing community matches or a post-confirmation social group where we look forward to a Kremling-filled DKCR3, I hope we can all continue sticking together in this thread and beyond.
I'll certainly be sticking around. If you guys are after a mainly-3DS Dedede mainer for some sparring when the time comes, let me know! :smash:

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
Congratulations on making it to 1000 pages! Let us hope for a brighter future for King K. Rool as these last months for the ballot roll into place. We shall prevail!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Kongratulations on 1000 pages, Kuthroats!

Now to fight for our krooked king in Smash!

These k-jokes are just krazy, kids!

# K R E M L I N G B O Y Z

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Damn, now I'm chomping at the bit now more than ever for a Direct or New Content video, or something! Do you guys think anything will happen between now and October when the ballot closes? I wonder if they'll announce the winner(s) the date of the ballot's closing.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Damn, now I'm chomping at the bit now more than ever for a Direct or New Content video, or something! Do you guys think anything will happen between now and October when the ballot closes? I wonder if they'll announce the winner(s) the date of the ballot's closing.
I'm hoping for a new Direct for anything Nintendo in general, as news has been pretty dry the past couple months and we learned barley anything from the E3 event. I think we will get a Direct this month or September, as not only do they have Smash DLC and upcoming games they could give us info on, they also stated they're preparing to announce their first phone game soon, so maybe a Direct could be on the horizons.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
That's what I'm hoping yet I'm not holding my breath. I can't imagine Nintendo is still scrambling after Iwata's passing, though I can understand why a Direct would be delayed, I don't think they'd just up and stop doing Directs.

Edit: Do...do you think Nintendo will stop doing Directs now that Iwata isn't here? The Directs was his idea and he'd always helm them himself if I'm not mistaken, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not sure if Nintendo would think it would be "right" or "wrong" to continue these without him.

Last edited:

Sidboylol

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, congratulations on the pages to 1000 pages. We have come to a long way. Like Joseph Joestar will said 'It sure is a long journey to made it this far.'

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I'm not sure what they would do, but I hope they choose to continue making them. The Directs are a great way to keep fans interested in upcoming games, and can maintain hype during pre-release for games we have little information on. If they continue the Directs, I think they would have a tribute to Iwata in their next one. But if they choose to stop making them, i hope they publicly announce their decision, or else some fans would be holding their breath for quite a while.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Happy 1000 (and 2) pages everyone! Those thousand of post is the proof of our devotion to the king and his necessity to be playable. Continue like that everyone, we are close to our first (but not last) objective:
K.Rool master plan.jpeg

But I think that we can all agree that coming this far wouldn't have been as great if we, kutthroats, weren't such an agreable community.

Do not give up until it's the end!

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations fellow Kutthroats!! Happy 1000!! (Kinda late to the party).

So are we the second character thread to ever reach 1000?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Anyone read this article at SourceGaming yet?
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/13/the-dangers-of-online-polling/#more-1847

I don't have time to write a full and concise response right now, but the key points:

1) Author correctly points out that the community's online polling has limitations with regards to effectively representing the entire population of Smash Ballot voters. While fair, this limitation is overstated:

a.) Unlike researching cereal or political preferences (analogies of the author), the population interested or even familiar with Smash Bros is more narrow. Those interested in voting for a Smash Brothers character -- or even aware this is possible -- is narrower still. Online communities where Nintendo/SmashBrothers fans congregate are actually a great place to poll respondents because of this fact. After all, as the article itself mentions, the Smash Ballot is itself an online poll! That is, the criticisms about the community's polls being "unrepresentative" also apply to the Smash Ballot itself, even if to different degrees. Remember, the Smash Ballot is a poll that has barely even been advertised. It is not a worldwide or even a regional census so it is time to stop treating it as anything remotely similar.​

b.) The "feverish" fanbase has a great impact on the ballot than the more "casual" fanbase because:
> they are more organized -- votes are probably funneled into fewer characters rather than the wider spectrum of possible "casual" choices)
> and they probably voted several times -- probably multiple times for the same character.

Even if they have not voted multiple times themselves, dedicated fans have been overtly "campaigning" for each other's vote and for the votes of close friends and family. Consequently, we can expect that the average impact of the individual from the dedicated fanbase is greater than than the individual that is less interested and "casual".​

Related to part a.) above, the author seems to confuse the Smash Ballot as actually representing (or nearly representing) the population of people interested in voting for a Smash Bros character. This seems unlikely given: the non-existence of commercials for the ballot, ballot announcements restricted to social media and Nintendo Directs followed more closely by the dedicated fanbase, the limitations of online polling in general, etc.​

2.) Community survey results vary, but top characters do not vary as much as the author seems to believe. Maybe someone can help me out and post a link to that google doc compilation of community polls or any other links to community polls conducted around the internet. I don't have the numbers in front of me at this moment, but the belief that each community is a special snowflake is unfounded. I think this is apparent to anyone that has been following the polls.

3.) Not a particular focus of the article, but nonetheless relevant: Critics tend to selectively apply the idea that some characters are unknown to casual audiences. That is, the brunt of these criticisms tend to fall on K. Rool, Isaac, Inkling, Bandana Waddle Dee, etc. and others who have received many votes in community polls. This criticisms, however, applies to virtually every character popularly discussed among the community. If K. Rool/Isaac are actually doing poorly despite a significant online presence, how well are characters that do not even have that? Are we to believe this hidden casual mass is voting for them, "balancing" out results? Sounds implausible.

4). Finally, there are superior criticisms of community polls that this article and most critics repeating this overstated limitation do not address. Let me do their work for them:
a) Some community polls allow users to vote more than once. This allows the results to be vulnerable to serious manipulation (manually or automatic through bots). The Smash Ballot itself allows multiple votes, but there is a maximum (7 or 8?) per IP. More accurate polls would mimic this set-up.
b.) Some community polls do not allow the user to enter their own character. They are forced to pick from a selection of perceived-to-be popular or "valid" characters. This inflates the results of all of these characters because they receive the votes of users who cannot find their "ideal" character choice among the list.
b2.) Among these polls, characters are often listed in a set order (alphabetical, by game series, or arbitrarily). Characters listed first may receive more votes than those listed toward the end (voters might not see them or be too lazy to scroll down). More accurate polls will randomize the list so every user that takes the poll will see a different order ("cancelling" out this bias overall).​
c.) More fervent character fanbases, including our own, are more likely to post community surveys to each other so they are oversampled in community polls.
In the end, the best safe-guard is replication. If we see survey results continuously replicated, we can probably have confidence in those results. Since we're in the K. Rool thread, I'l finish by saying that K. Rool is one character that has consistently appeared near the top and even at the top of many community polls, several of them thousands of votes in size. If K. Rool is not selected (which is still an open question) it's probably not because he didn't get enough votes in the Smash Ballot.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Anyone else just want to blast gangplank galleon on the radio while taking a cruise on a ship? I'd likley do that if K. Rool got announced on that day I was on one lol.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
A few pages late, but happy 1,000 pages! Hopefully by the time we get to 1,250 or 1,500 K. Rool will be konfirmed!

Handy Man

Smash Ace
I'm a bit late to the party, but it's amazing how devoted we are to earn 1,000 pages! I rarely post in here and mostly lurk. However, I have been begging for King K. Rool to be a playable character in Smash since Brawl, and if he does get released as a DLC character, I plan on becoming the best Smash 4 King K. Rool main in the Midwest. If this thread doesn't prove his popularity, I don't know what will. Let's keep working towards our goal, our finest hour will come soon enough!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That article, as well as this great post by @ InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand make me thankful that the ballot isn't run in terms of, for example, one vote per NNID. It would be much tougher to campaign for someone to vote for a character who's not already their top favorite, and near impossible to get a gamer relative who doesn't yet own a Wii U to vote. A lot of voters may like K. Rool, but have him as their number two or three favorite rather than number one.

This is a strain of logic they seem to be using in that article, where, because K. Rool isn't the runaway favorite on every single site in existence, his popularity is "overstated." Thing is, he's never far behind...he's number two on the Reddit poll with Shovel Knight and on the 4chan poll with Wonder Red, and three on the Tumblr poll with Daisy. Meanwhile, those others' standings on each other poll are nowhere close to the top few positions. What's more, characters like Banjo and Shovel Knight have peaked a long time ago, and aren't really considered seriously nowadays (Shantae has kind of filled their void), while K. Rool has stayed constant in the results, even in wake of a supposed "obviously from the ballot disconfirmation."

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
I just had a thought! What if on DK's 30th, we got a Donkey Kong Country Builder? The styles would be DKC 1-3 and TF! That would be a day one buy for me!

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I just had a thought! What if on DK's 30th, we got a Donkey Kong Country Builder? The styles would be DKC 1-3 and TF! That would be a day one buy for me!
DK's 30th was 4 years ago, but if you mean DKC's 30th, we'd be waiting 9 more years... but still a great idea! Nintendo did state if Mario Maker is a success they'd consider doing other game makers (And DKC would certainly be a great choice).

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
A great idea, but it was the Donkey Kong series' 34th anniversary in July, so that galleon has long since sailed.

EDIT: Hah, ninja'd on that! :laugh: Good stuff, @ Llort A. Ton Llort A. Ton !

It's rather sad that Nintendo acknowledges the anniversary of Super Mario Bros. frequently, but not the series that it's spun off from. It's so frequent that people think that right now it's Mario's 30th anniversary, when it'll really be his 35th next year.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Man, what with all the poo the arcade-era detractors and gaming media fling at DK for having "too many Kong family members," imagine how irate they'd become over the idea of an expanded family for K. Rool as well, who they're already none too fond of.

Not to say I'm overly fond of the idea myself. I'd prefer to see the Kremling leadership fleshed out with Klump/Krusha equivalents, or even anti-hero Kremlings like Klubba, before additional Rools.
Expanded family? Now it is starting to sound like Dk's family.

Well anyway, kongrats on 1000 pages everyone. Lets hope that our work paid off.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, DK's 35th is next year. :D

I can't see a DKC builder working well. It'd be next to impossible to do with DKC because DKC is not tile-based, especially in regards to TF. DKC has always been about more realistic atmospheres, and that just would not translate well to this sort of maker. It'd have to be Donkey Kong instead, which isn't as fun.

Poogy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Poogasaurus
I'm just gonna pop in about 1,000 pages late to support. K Rool is the hypest. We've got pretty much every big Nintendo character's main villain except for this royal handbag. Whats up with that?

TallT

Smash Apprentice
I would just like to point out that our thread has grown 435 pages since we first learned about the ballot on April 1st. That's more pages than the total size of the Isaac thread lol. If that doesn't show how dedicated we are to getting the king in Smash I don't know what does.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios

I can't see a DKC builder working well. It'd be next to impossible to do with DKC because DKC is not tile-based, especially in regards to TF. DKC has always been about more realistic atmospheres, and that just would not translate well to this sort of maker. It'd have to be Donkey Kong instead, which isn't as fun.
Well there are ways to fix that. Perhaps it would work like drawing a strait line in Stage builder mode or hand drawing or something. Plus, SMB has had levels that were more smooth than others

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
I'm just gonna pop in about 1,000 pages late to support. K Rool is the hypest. We've got pretty much every big Nintendo character's main villain except for this royal handbag. Whats up with that?
Him and 2 others are missing...

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't expect they'll mark DK's 35th, honestly, if the track-record to date is anything to go by. I hope I'm wrong, though!

It could be the long-delayed revival of Game Boy Donkey Kong's style, though, which we very nearly got during the GameCube's time. I loved that game, and I can imagine the potential for a lot of fun there.

except for this royal handbag.
This is the funniest description I've ever heard for the guy. :laugh:

Also, does that mean you're a new kutthroat? That being so;

And, upon seeing this for the umpteenth time, I realise that "DonkeyCroc" (sadly with the space missing) will fit into the ten-characters limit for Amiibo names, and it would go perfectly with DK's green alt. I wonder if anyone has set up an Amiibo like this already?

Last edited:

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Well, Ridley has an appearance in the game at least. As for the other? Unless I'm missing something, the other main big bads are covered.
Wolf... K.Rool is going to be added... and Ridley would be some good fan service too seeing how he wasn't very accuratly represented...

Morbi

Scavenger
I would just like to point out that our thread has grown 435 pages since we first learned about the ballot on April 1st. That's more pages than the total size of the Isaac thread lol. If that doesn't show how dedicated we are to getting the king in Smash I don't know what does.
That being said, how much did the thread grow after the costume of King K. Rool was announced? :troll:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Kongratulatuons for the 1000 pages.:dkmelee::dkmelee::dkmelee:
They truly show how dedicated we are.
I see what you did there.

MEANWHILE:

:079: Hey guys, we hit 1000! :079:

In a serious atmosphere, though, congratulations to us all. I've enjoyed my time here, while short it may be, and hope to be able to stick around for another 1k. Long live the King, and what not. ('.')7

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
So, has anyone found anything noteworthy in today's Famitsu? Or is it the same ''No news is good news'' as the last couple weeks?
I am not entirely certain; however, if someone did find anything noteworthy, people would probably be talking about it. I have not seen anything new myself, so I assume "same old, same old."

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
I'm surprised these gems didn't get thrown up for the 1,000 page celebration already
https://youtu.be/bxx9UqvalII
https://youtu.be/Wok7BdgDd4I
After listening to K Rool's Pub Crawl it's made me want a DKC level that has you going through a dirty Kremling port/pirate town occasionally jumping through pubs. The music can come from Kremlings in the background singing a chant like the song, arm in arm and swinging their beer around. That'd be amazing.

Last edited:

Poogy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Poogasaurus
Wolf... K.Rool is going to be added... and Ridley would be some good fan service too seeing how he wasn't very accuratly represented...
Oh, Iunno, I don't think of Wolf as the main Starfox baddie. He's more of a rival if anything. Ridley, as much as I love Metroid, would just seem odd as playable. K. Rool makes a ton of sense though, and gives us what would probably be a very unique, interesting heavy and a new DK rep.

Top Bottom