• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
A few pages back, it was mentioned there was a detractor who didn't want K. Rool because he is an "obvious pick" and he wanted something more "surprising". This type of reasoning was, and still is, all too common within some of the speculative community. Sometimes, "predictable" choices like K. Rool, Ridley, and even (at one point) Mewtwo are seen as, um, well, "too predictable", and therefore "boring". All the while, they'd rather support out-of-nowhere ones nobody expects, which isn't a bad thing in-and-of-itself.

What I don't understand is what's so wrong with wanting highly requested characters that make up the majority of roster predictions? For analogy's sake* - just because everybody orders the same type of burger at a restaurant, it doesn't mean the taste is any less so than a burger that isn't ordered as much.
I don't have a problem with rooting for the underdog, because they are easily identifiable, but I do have a problem with refusing to support a popular character just because they are popular. It reeks of hipster mentality.
* Somebody else may have used this analogy before. I guess it's just embedded in the back of my brain because it works so well. Also, 600th post.

Even if there are further complaints (towards mostly K. Rool, of course) that we need less "obvious" newcomer choices in this game and more unpredictable ones, almost the entire newcomer selection is rather contrary to the claim - :4wiifit: :4villager: :rosalina: :4greninja: :4robinm: :4bowserjr: :4duckhunt: :4drmario: :4lucina: :4darkpit: :4feroy: :4ryu: were all surprisingly out-of-left-field, some more-so than others. It doesn't make the highly expected newcomers :4megaman: :4littlemac: :4palutena: :4pacman: :4shulk: any less exciting. Neither should it make K. Rool any less exciting.

This is just a small sample of the vitriol I saw as I casually scrolled through the comment section of Etika's video. We better hope for multiple ballot winners so the entitled brats don't send Sakurai death threats when their favorite characters inevitably don't make the cut. Assuming K. Rool wins the ballot, expect the haters to be more vocal than ever. I've already prepared myself mentally.

If any of the ballot winners are going to develop a hate-base, it's K. Rool.

More-than-likely, even in multiples, any ballot winner will develop a small sub-set of haters, since this is a competition and whoever wins will be blamed for whoever loses not getting in. Roster slot stealing is what they will call it. Unless Sakurai is a beard-stroking wizard and magically turns every possible DLC candidate into a playable fighter, the butthurt will flow instead.

But if K. Rool is one of the ballot winners, he will take the brunt of the blow since he is, by far, seen as the frontrunner of the entire contest. A perceived overdog tyrant crushing the underdog peasants, a tyrant whose reign must be stopped. It isn't necessarily the fairest assessment, but that's the way detractors see it as, especially since we are taking over several polls in top positions. The scopes are set on K. Rool, and he will be shot to **** if he wins (or especially loses).

If, and I mean if, K. Rool miraculously returns as a Smash newcomer, I'd fully expect the statements "he doesn't deserve to be a DLC character over this one!", "he isn't going to sell well, anyways!", "enjoy him while he lasts, because he'll never make it into the next game!", and "auuuggghhhhh!" (:troll:) once all is said and done. It won't matter, though, because as long as K. Rool makes it, then we finally win in the end. Finally.

Two-thirds of the way, and with all this newly found media coverage, let's keep going strong.

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Im not homophobic, and i apologize if i ofended anyone.

I just really dislike the GameFaqs community
I always forget that this word was originally against homosexuality...
This word lost its meaning for me a long time ago, and probably for a lot of others, too.
Like the term "Mother F***er". This lost its meaning a long time ago, now it's just a dull insult, it has nothing to do with actual Mothers anymore... Well, did it ever?

Gamefaqs is a very vocal and "blunt" place. (I hope "blunt" is the right word here, if not, I blame the Google translator. :p)
Of course, even there might be some nice people, but, you know, they are way outnumbered by a lot of... not so nice people.

But enough of that.

A few pages back, it was mentioned there was a detractor who didn't want K. Rool because he is an "obvious pick" and he wanted something more "surprising". This type of reasoning was, and still is, all too common within some of the speculative community. Sometimes, "predictable" choices like K. Rool, Ridley, and even (at one point) Mewtwo are seen as, um, well, "too predictable", and therefore "boring". All the while, they'd rather support out-of-nowhere ones nobody expects, which isn't a bad thing in-and-of-itself.

What I don't understand is what's so wrong with wanting highly requested characters that make up the majority of roster predictions? For analogy's sake* - just because everybody orders the same type of burger at a restaurant, it doesn't mean the taste is any less so than a burger that isn't ordered as much.
I don't have a problem with rooting for the underdog, because they are easily identifiable, but I do have a problem with refusing to support a popular character just because they are popular. It reeks of hipster mentality.
* Somebody else may have used this analogy before. I guess it's just embedded in the back of my brain because it works so well. Also, 600th post.

Even if there are further complaints (towards mostly K. Rool, of course) that we need less "obvious" newcomer choices in this game and more unpredictable ones, almost the entire newcomer selection is rather contrary to the claim - :4wiifit: :4villager: :rosalina: :4greninja: :4robinm: :4bowserjr: :4duckhunt: :4drmario: :4lucina: :4darkpit: :4feroy: :4ryu: were all surprisingly out-of-left-field, some more-so than others. It doesn't make the highly expected newcomers :4megaman: :4littlemac: :4palutena: :4pacman: :4shulk: any less exciting. Neither should it make K. Rool any less exciting.

More-than-likely, even in multiples, any ballot winner will develop a small sub-set of haters, since this is a competition and whoever wins will be blamed for whoever loses not getting in. Roster slot stealing is what they will call it. Unless Sakurai is a beard-stroking wizard and magically turns every possible DLC candidate into a playable fighter, the butthurt will flow instead.

But if K. Rool is one of the ballot winners, he will take the brunt of the blow since he is, by far, seen as the frontrunner of the entire contest. A perceived overdog tyrant crushing the underdog peasants, a tyrant whose reign must be stopped. It isn't necessarily the fairest assessment, but that's the way detractors see it as, especially since we are taking over several polls in top positions. The scopes are set on K. Rool, and he will be shot to **** if he wins (or especially loses).

If, and I mean if, K. Rool miraculously returns as a Smash newcomer, I'd fully expect the statements "he doesn't deserve to be a DLC character over this one!", "he isn't going to sell well, anyways!" and "enjoy him while he lasts, because he'll never make it into the next game!" and "auuuggghhhhh!" (:troll:) once all is said and done. It won't matter, though, because as long as K. Rool makes it, then we finally win in the end. Finally.

Two-thirds of the way, and with all this newly found media coverage, let's keep going strong.
^This. This one gets ALL of my "^This".

I don't care for how popular a character is, if I like the character, I support him/her.
And, heck, I LOVE unexpected characters, but those characters have the best chances when Sakurai decides on his own.
So, in the ballot, I'd rather vote for a long-overdue-frontrunner than a character with very small support.

Of course, we don't know whether or not the ballot helps those less-supported-characters, like in "submitting the idea", but then to expect that one of those characters gets chosen, in a kind of contest where the most voted most likely wins, is just... naive.

The ballot could give Nintendo and Sakurai ideas... for the next Smash game.
But for the ballot itself, it probably doesn't matter.

cothero

Smash Lord

If, and I mean if, K. Rool miraculously returns as a Smash newcomer, I'd fully expect the statements "he doesn't deserve to be a DLC character over this one!", "he isn't going to sell well, anyways!" and "enjoy him while he lasts, because he'll never make it into the next game!" and "auuuggghhhhh!" (:troll:) once all is said and done. It won't matter, though, because as long as K. Rool makes it, then we finally win in the end. Finally.

Agreed. Another thing that caught my attention is the support from some ex-Ridley believers, they know his chances of becoming playable are as good as none now being a stage boss. As i stated before, i can't imagine Isaac or another newborn indie character in front of K. Rool, he's leading every poll i've seen, now it's only a matter of time to Sakurai consider making him playable into the game.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
To be fair Isaac is not indie; he's the main protagonist of a very popular series of games owned by Nintendo with a devoted and deserving fanbase and if I had to choose a 2nd ballot character it would be him despite not being personally interested whatsoever.

D

Deleted member

"oh no a actual nintendo character has a better chance then my indie charater"-most haters in a nutshell.
To be fair Isaac is not indie; he's the main protagonist of a very popular series of games owned by Nintendo with a devoted and deserving fanbase and if I had to choose a 2nd ballot character it would be him despite not being personally interested whatsoever.
speaking of isaac would project m just toss theirs if he made it in?

cothero

Smash Lord
I Know Isaac is owned by Nintendo, i was referring to Shovel Knight or any other stupid indie character.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Great post. That last bit gives me the mental image of K. Rool, wearing glasses and standing in a parking lot, cut up and with a nose bandage, but declaring into a cell phone "I won." The Breaking Bad fans reading should get the idea.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
"DK fanboys are really selfish...", huh?
There, go make Hatchetfox feel ridiculous.
So we're selfish because we gave an honest answer when asked "who do you want as DLC?" Yeah, that seems about right.

Considering many of us have thrown votes in the direction of other less-popular characters, I'd say this is nothing more than baseless insult flinging. Pay it no mind.

D

Deleted member

The K.Rool haters can suck a rotten banana for all i care.
After supporting Roy despite his hatebase, no type of hate will make me drop support for the Kremling King.
Also, more corruptions from Vinny:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
People hating on something popular isn't really anything new, nor is it limited to Smash speculation, It happens everywhere.
I suppose once something becomes widespread or mainstream, it comes off as bland... except that it spread that far because it was perceived as better.

(In simple terms, they are hating on him only because they're jealous. :p)

:231:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
People hating on something popular isn't really anything new, nor is it limited to Smash speculation, It happens everywhere.
I suppose once something becomes widespread or mainstream, it comes off as bland... except that it spread that far because it was perceived as better.

There's a reason we have the word "hipster."

D

Deleted member

Those haters have this mentaity.

"Oh look a character i don't like, but nobody cares about him so i'll do nothing."

*the character becomes popular*

"OH NO DA CHARACTER IS NOW POPULAR AND EVERYONE WANTS HIM IN, I MUST WHINE, CRY, BASH AND HARASS HIS SUPPORTERS AND FANBASE AND THAT WAY THEY WOULD STOP WANTING AND SUPPORTING THAT CHARACTER I HATE, HE SHOULD NOT GET IN BEFORE MAH SUPER MEGA DESERVING UNIQUE CHARACTER BWAAHHHHH,BWAHHHHHH.

Basically the are just jealous as you said.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
"It's popular, therefore I dislike it." I admit I'm guilty of having this mentality to some extent, but it's become shockingly widespread and some people take it much too far.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Great post. That last bit gives me the mental image of K. Rool, wearing glasses and standing in a parking lot, cut up and with a nose bandage, but declaring into a cell phone "I won." The Breaking Bad fans reading should get the idea.
I am the one who K. nocks?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
What's the problem? It's obvious we need more anime characters:troll:
Ruby Rose or riot
I wouldn't mind a character that people typically classify as "muh anime" so long as it's Isaac from Golden Sun.

"Another"? Isn't Dedede the only one of those on the roster anyway? :laugh:
And I'm now reminded of this:
Another reason to have K Rool. A rivalry with DeDeDe.

Anthromorphic animals ::4dedede::4diddy::4falco::4fox::4sonic::4yoshi:(do I count the koopas and pokemons?)

Anime characters::4darkpit::4myfriends::4littlemac::4link::4lucina::4marth::4palutena::4pit::4robinm::4robinf::4feroy::4shulk::4zelda::4zss:
Only :4dedede: can be classified as "fat"

StormC

Smash Hero
I remember someone saying on Twitter that they didn't want another "large reptile" (K. Rool) or "anime swordsman" (Isaac) in Smash and that they wanted something out of left field. I'm sorry, but in a roster of 50+ characters, there is going to be overlap between fighters. Stop crying that your favs aren't popular and get over it.

People who want something surprising for surprise's sake are the absolute worst of Smash speculation.

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I remember when I unlocked K. Rool as a playable character in King of Swing. I was so thrilled, because it was the first time I had ever gotten the opportunity to play as him, in any game. Even though it was only in a tiny part of the game, and the game in general wasn't very fun imo, I was playing as King K. Rool. I finally had the opportunity to be the bad guy. And that was enough to make me happy. Then my King of Swing cartridge stopped working, but that's besides the point.
There's a certain appeal to playing the part of the villain, even if it doesn't have that big of an effect on gameplay, and I think that's a big part of why I want K. Rool in Smash Bros.

Dunno what brought this up, it just popped into my head and I felt like sharing, hah.

D

Deleted member

I remember someone saying on Twitter that they didn't want another "large reptile" (K. Rool) or "anime swordsman" (Isaac) in Smash and that they wanted something out of left field. I'm sorry, but in a roster of 50+ characters, there is going to be overlap between fighters. Stop crying that your favs aren't popular and get over it.

People who want something surprising for surprise's sake are the absolute worst of Smash speculation.
Could you elaborate a little more on the poeple who want suprising for the sake for surprise?
I mean, do people like this really exists?

StormC

Smash Hero
The interesting takeaway for me in all of this is the thing people are reporting is not "hey, Nintendo cares about K. Rool kind of" but "DOES THIS MEAN K. ROOL COULD HAVE WON THE SMASH BALLOT?" If he's so forgotten why are people so quick to assume he might be in Smash based off one small trademark?

Could you elaborate a little more on the poeple who want suprising for the sake for surprise?
I mean, do people like this really exists?
Yes. People who advocate for "surprise" characters because... they like the initial 5 minutes of shock, I guess? Like I said, people seem to really buy into the Willy Wonka persona the internet has given Sakurai.

I dug up the actual tweet:

I'd just like to see somebody bizarre pop up.
This was said in regards to why they don't want another large reptile and another anime swordsman.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Yes. People who advocate for "surprise" characters because... they like the initial 5 minutes of shock, I guess? Like I said, people seem to really buy into the Willy Wonka persona the internet has given Sakurai.

This was said in regards to why they don't want another large reptile and another anime swordsman.
Isn't this often followed up by people vociferously complaining that a surprise character shouldn't be in the game because reasons/they don't count as a character at all because reasons/"stole" some other character's slot by existing, and so on and so forth? :laugh:

D

Deleted member

The interesting takeaway for me in all of this is the thing people are reporting is not "hey, Nintendo cares about K. Rool kind of" but "DOES THIS MEAN K. ROOL COULD HAVE WON THE SMASH BALLOT?" If he's so forgotten why are people so quick to assume he might be in Smash based off one small trademark?

Whoa.......some people really have problems. I mean why is such a bad thing to have a character that people want and expect?
What happened to beign happy for the fanbases that got their wanted character?
Do people are really this selfish and jealous? What's the big deal with having unexpected characters that little people request or talk about?
The arguments of the K.Rool haters are just scrapping the bottom of the barrel right now.

To cheer you up, have a DK 64 corruption video by Vinny:

TallT

Smash Apprentice

:4gaw::4duckhunt::4rob::4wiifit: How many bizarre characters does this guy actually need. Unless he's talking about bizarre appearances as in Batman or Goku (which I don't see happening anytime soon).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Whoa.......some people really have problems. I mean why is such a bad thing to have a character that people want and expect?
What happened to beign happy for the fanbases that got their wanted character?
Do people are really this selfish and jealous? What's the big deal with having unexpected characters that little people request or talk about?
The arguments of the K.Rool haters are just scrapping the bottom of the barrel right now.
Its just how people are. If their character is not getting in, of course there's gonna be a little :salt:. I mean I was pretty salty when I saw Rosalina before Jr. because I thought she'd be the only Mario newcomer. Then we got Jr. but it was with a moveset so he could have the koopalings as alts so I was kinda still salty. I was still excited to play Rosalina though.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm really curious now: Am I the only one who doesn't find the inclusion of any of these guys to be bizarre or surprising? :laugh:

I mean, Mr. Game & Watch is a (granted, less-expressive than the real thing) representation of one of Nintendo's early video game success stories, Duck Hunt Duo come from one of the most iconic video games of all time, R.O.B. played a big part in getting stores to carry the NES in the US, and the three revisions of Wii Fit have sold more than the entire Smash series combined.

Or is the bizarreness simply the notion of them as pugilists?

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
I'm really curious now: Am I the only one who doesn't find the inclusion of any of these guys to be bizarre or surprising? :laugh:

I mean, Mr. Game & Watch is a (granted, less-expressive than the real thing) representation of one of Nintendo's early video game success stories, Duck Hunt Duo come from one of the most iconic video games of all time, R.O.B. played a big part in getting stores to carry the NES in the US, and the three revisions of Wii Fit have sold more than the entire Smash series combined.

Or is the bizarreness simply the notion of them as pugilists?
I'll give Duck Hunt, Mr. Game & Watch, and R.O.B a pass, but Wii Fit Trainer is the definition of bizarre imo.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Just watched the tropical freeze gallery and realised how many concepts they did not use in the game...
Wasn't tropical freeze just made because they had ideas left from returns?
If yes i am 99% there will be a 3rd Retro DKC soon.
Hopefully with K Rool and the Kremling Krew

Top Bottom