• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
2: Rare's design is the best. 3: Alt-Kostume material. and 5: His voice sounds like a kartoony, pissed, Joseph Stalin which is fitting. I never heard him in the DKC Kartoon though so no komment.
You don't have any experience with K. Rool's cartoon voice? Well we can fix that, Let me initiate you through the regular Kuttthroat trial of passage.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, you guys been enjoying King of Swing on VC?

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
So, you guys been enjoying King of Swing on VC?
I'm stuck on this one level where you have to open the walls by hitting the lever that kritter was on in the temple but can't figure out how to keep it open. Have'nt brought myself to look it up on youtube yet lol. the controls take time to get used to but it's good for now until NOA finally releases the DKC snes games on the Wii U E-Shop.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King of Swing is awesome, but Jungle Climber is farrrrrr better.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
King of Swing is a pretty cool game, still trying to get a handle on the controls.

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Random point, but I always wondered why Kremcroc Industries was on DK Isle. Had DK always allowed that to be there, or did they steal the bananas and then instantly establish an incredibly intricate idustrial system that managed to poison a pond in the space of a day.

Also I would've thought it would've made more sense for it to be the last world. Chimp caverns was really cool but it should've come before Kremcroc IMO.
Sorry for the late reply, but there's actually a number of game theories surrounding this idea. From what I understand, most people believe that the Kremlings are a representation of American imperialism, where the Kremlings are trying to colonize DK Island and deprive it of its natural resources. There's an interesting video that goes into further detail about this topic, and many other forms of symbolism represented throughout Donkey Kong Country.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
New part of a translated Sakurai article, talking about how Bowser Jr. almost got cut. It features this little bit here:

About the order of which character has priority, the characters that don’t have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage.
That's more of a smoking gun regarding "muhrelevance" than pretty much anything we've seen before, therefore it pertains to K. Rool. Naturally, it's still full of contradictions, namely Wolf getting cut with a Star Fox game coming right up and two Kid Icarus newcomers joining in despite "the game not getting a sequel for another 20 years."

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
That's more of a smoking gun regarding "muhrelevance" than pretty much anything we've seen before, therefore it pertains to K. Rool. Naturally, it's still full of contradictions, namely Wolf getting cut with a Star Fox game coming right up and two Kid Icarus newcomers joining in despite "the game not getting a sequel for another 20 years."
The more important kuestion is what this means for our King.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
With Wolf, it doesn't necessarily contradict anything - given how early of a state the Star Fox game was in at the last E3, it seems entirely possible that they hadn't even started planning that game by the time that the Smash Bros. roster was finalized.

Nice to see that they acknowledge how important veterans are to the fans, though.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Nice to see that they acknowledge how important veterans are to the fans, though.
Except for Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur and the Ice Climbers of course. I really do not agree with the 'must have a new game on the way' logic. If that is truly why at least Lucas and Wolf had to go, we may as well drop Falcon, Ike, Ness, Mega Man, Little Mac, Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, ROB, Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The more important kuestion is what this means for our King.
Off the top of my head, it means we're going to need all the outcry for K. Rool DLC we can get, or else he'll just be ignored again. The silver lining to this is that it may not be "yooooneeekness" holding K. Rool back after all.

D

Deleted member

New part of a translated Sakurai article, talking about how Bowser Jr. almost got cut. It features this little bit here:

Except that:
a. Star Fox getting a new game wasn't even known about back in 2012 when the roster was decided and Wolf had other potential reasons for being lower in priority in addition.
b. The "another 25 years" thing was a tongue-in-cheek joke in reference to the gap between Uprising and the original Kid Icarus. All what Sakurai said is that he's not making a sequel. That doesn't erase the possibility of someone else doing it, and Sakurai within Smash 4 set up a sequel hook with the Palutena's Guidance for Dark Pit (who wasn't part of the planning stages as a separate character anyway). Aside from that, Uprising was released literally right before Smash started development.
c. He said the characters were at a disadvantage, not that they were "forbidden". Just because say, that disadvantage cost K. Rool but didn't cost Little Mac (a more apt comparison) for example, it isn't contradictory. It just means that Little Mac made it in spite of his disadvantage and K. Rool didn't.

I know you don't agree with decisions made by Sakurai and the development team. But stop looking for contradictions where they don't exist (this applies to everyone).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Except that:
a. Star Fox getting a new game wasn't even known about back in 2012 when the roster was decided and Wolf had other potential reasons for being lower in priority in addition.
b. The "another 25 years" thing was a tongue-in-cheek joke in reference to the gap between Uprising and the original Kid Icarus. All what Sakurai said is that he's not making a sequel. That doesn't erase the possibility of someone else doing it, and Sakurai within Smash 4 set up a sequel hook with the Palutena's Guidance for Dark Pit (who wasn't part of the planning stages as a separate character anyway). Aside from that, Uprising was released literally right before Smash started development.
c. He said the characters were at a disadvantage, not that they were "forbidden". Just because say, that disadvantage cost K. Rool but didn't cost Little Mac (a more apt comparison) for example, it isn't contradictory. It just means that Little Mac made it in spite of his disadvantage and K. Rool didn't.

I know you don't agree with decisions made by Sakurai and the development team. But stop looking for contradictions where they don't exist (this applies to everyone).
There are stronger examples than the ones I gave; @ Xzsmmc Xzsmmc went over it better. When all those characters exist in the game in spite of this supposed rule, it comes off as less of a rule and more of an after-the-fact justification for (in all likelihood) no Wolf or Lucas. Especially when a niche is carved out each game for retro characters with no future in sight at all.

Last edited:

i didnt expect sakurai to say something like that.

well good thing we got retro on our side so hopefully k rool comes back in dkcr 3 so sakurai cant pull a "relevant" on us.

either that or we get enough people to show the fan demand for him like they did with megaman and sonic to where they completely disregard the relevancy of the character and put him in for the fans.

it would be bad if k rool came out in dkcr 3,but by the time the new smash comes out dkcr3 is a few years old and all of a sudden he is no longer "relevant" because of it,they are just making excuses now to not put k rool in.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
i didnt expect sakurai to say something like that.

well good thing we got retro on our side so hopefully k rool comes back in dkcr 3 so sakurai cant pull a "relevant" on us.

either that or we get enough people to show the fan demand for him like they did with megaman and sonic to where they completely disregard the relevancy of the character and put him in for the fans.

it would be bad if k rool came out in dkcr 3,but by the time the new smash comes out dkcr3 is a few years old and all of a sudden he is no longer "relevant" because of it,they are just making excuses now to not put k rool in.
well k rool should be the main villain of the series again by then so i think he will still be relevant

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
You don't have any experience with K. Rool's cartoon voice? Well we can fix that, Let me initiate you through the regular Kuttthroat trial of passage.

That should suffice.

EDIT: :4greninja:'d
Great! Now I'm mixed for his voice. DK64 is K. Rool's evil voice, but the kartoon is silly and more fitting for Smash.

Sorry for the late reply, but there's actually a number of game theories surrounding this idea. From what I understand, most people believe that the Kremlings are a representation of American imperialism, where the Kremlings are trying to colonize DK Island and deprive it of its natural resources. There's an interesting video that goes into further detail about this topic, and many other forms of symbolism represented throughout Donkey Kong Country.

Wow. Both share a lot of interest and deeds. He also forgot to mention that The King mistreats his minions unlike every other villain at Nintendo. The USA doesn't kill their own soldiers for not obeying (I hope,) but do treat veterans like murders by no free health-care or even pay like promised....... Since the Revolutionary War.

The War for Oil is still going on today because the War on Terror is an excuse to invade Middle Eastern nations and get away with it.

well k rool should be the main villain of the series again by then so i think he will still be relevant
You're right. Removing K. Rool from Donkey Kong is like getting ride of Bowser from Mario for good. The same can be said about Kaptain Syrup.

D

Deleted member

There are stronger examples than the ones I gave; @ Xzsmmc Xzsmmc went over it better. When all those characters exist in the game in spite of this supposed rule, it comes off as less of a rule and more of an after-the-fact justification for (in all likelihood) no Wolf or Lucas. Especially when a niche is carved out each game for retro characters with no future in sight at all.
Like I said, there was more in play for Wolf other than no known game in the horizon, same with Lucas (arguably moreso than Wolf). But that's not the main point.

The one thing you need to understand is that it's not so much a "rule" as it is a factor that is applied in consideration.
If it were a "rule" like you and Xzsmmc see it, then the results would be much different than they are now. We'd have a lineup more like PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale without any characters like Sir Daniel Fortesque.
But that's not the case. Instead, it only plays a factor. It's when other factors come into play that make or break the characters.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Also keep in mind Ness, Captain Falcon etc are different because they're all the sole representatives of their franchises/entirely brand new franchises, as opposed to Wolf and Lucas who are semi-clones from franchises that already had another more important rep. Cutting Lucas is cutting a fairly popular but somewhat forgettable and unnecessary semi-clone, cutting Captain Falcon is cutting an entire franchise from the roster.

Same goes for Little Mac, Punch-Out has a massive legacy that absolutely warrants a playable character. Donkey Kong is already represented regardless of whether it gets a third playable character. Not that that justifies the lack of K. Rool obviously, but there are reasons for his absence beyond "Sakurai is a hypocrite"

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Also keep in mind Ness, Captain Falcon etc are different because they're all the sole representatives of their franchises/entirely brand new franchises, as opposed to Wolf and Lucas who are semi-clones from franchises that already had another more important rep. Cutting Lucas is cutting a fairly popular but somewhat forgettable and unnecessary semi-clone, cutting Captain Falcon is cutting an entire franchise from the roster.
Didn't stop them from cutting Snake and the Ice Climbers, removing any trace of either franchise from the latest Smash Bros. game. (seriously, would it have killed them to at least keep the Ice Climber logo for the related songs and trophies?)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Didn't stop them from cutting Snake and the Ice Climbers, removing any trace of either franchise from the latest Smash Bros. game. (seriously, would it have killed them to at least keep the Ice Climber logo for the related songs and trophies?)
Those cuts make sense, copyright and limitations, and only franchises with playable characters get logos

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Snake is a third-party character and the Ice Climbers were literally impossible to add to the game. "Character I added because my friend asked me to" and "character that we literally cannot add due to the technical limitations of the console" seem like they'd fall pretty low on the totem pole to me.

Ice Climber was a small franchise to start with and only had a logo because of the characters, it having a logo while all the other franchises with equal representation would be silly.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Snake is a third-party character and the Ice Climbers were literally impossible to add to the game. "Character I added because my friend asked me to" and "character that we literally cannot add due to the technical limitations of the console" seem like tshey'd fall pretty low on the totem pole to me.

Ice Climber was a small franchise to start with and only had a logo because of the characters, it having a logo while all the other franchises with equal representation would be silly.
Though, Wuhu Island and Nintendogs got logos without character representation, but I can see why the Ice Climbers don't have the logo; no stages, no items, no fighters, only two songs and a trophy.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Just a thing about promoting King K. Rool through the Kampaign, think this idea would work, using the name feature to create a tag name like the one in this image from my Twitter feed? I've often had a similar idea to promote Roy for our Royvolution, with a name like "ROY'S MY BOY"
Screen Shot 2015-01-01 at 1.22.14 pm.png

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just a thing about promoting King K. Rool through the Kampaign, think this idea would work, using the name feature to create a tag name like the one in this image from my Twitter feed? I've often had a similar idea to promote Roy for our Royvolution, with a name like "ROY'S MY BOY"View attachment 34447
I use the name pretty much whenever I go online, and it's great to see when people taunt or crouch-spam or whatever to show that they like the notion of K. Rool for DLC, or at least acknowledge that they're aware that supporting K. Rool is something people do online where they're presumably active.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Off the top of my head, it means we're going to need all the outcry for K. Rool DLC we can get, or else he'll just be ignored again. The silver lining to this is that it may not be "yooooneeekness" holding K. Rool back after all.
I really don't like how people here criticise others for citing relevance as an issue for K. Rool. Relevance is a perfectly good argument seeing that all the non-retro newcomers have been relevant in recent years and Sakurai has said a character not having a foreseeable future hurts their chances.

Relevance may not be the reason why K. Rool didn't get in the original roster, but given what we know relevance is a perfectly logical conclusion to jump to. It reminds me of the Ridley boards mocking the 'too big' detractors, who surprise surprise ended up being right. Or the Dixie boards trying to argue that Dixie is as unique as characters like K. Rool. People get defensive over factors that on the surface seem to clearly hurt their character's chances, and lie to themselves by acting as if they're such terrible arguments. It's better to just accept that characters have inclusion setbacks and just hope they are looked over in the future.

At the end of the day, you have literally no evidence to suggest that relevance isn't a factor that stopped K. Rool from making the roster so don't condescend the people who are drawing a perfectly reasonable conclusion.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I really don't like how people here criticise others for citing relevance as an issue for K. Rool. Relevance is a perfectly good argument seeing that all the non-retro newcomers have been relevant in recent years and Sakurai has said a character not having a foreseeable future hurts their chances.

Relevance may not be the reason why K. Rool didn't get in the original roster, but given what we know relevance is a perfectly logical conclusion to jump to. It reminds me of the Ridley boards mocking the 'too big' detractors, who surprise surprise ended up being right. Or the Dixie boards trying to argue that Dixie is as unique as characters like K. Rool. People get defensive over factors that on the surface seem to clearly hurt their character's chances, and lie to themselves by acting as if they're such terrible arguments. It's better to just accept that characters have inclusion setbacks and just hope they are looked over in the future.

At the end of the day, you have literally no evidence to suggest that relevance isn't a factor that stopped K. Rool from making the roster so don't condescend the people who are drawing a perfectly reasonable conclusion.
I agree with this NOW, but for the longest time, there was never any proof that relevance played a role in Smash, outside of affecting whatever new Pokemon or Fire Emblem Lord got in. There were multiple different interviews where Sakurai laid out his character selection criteria and, unlike in these new interviews, "new games" or "future titles" never came up, only just vague criteria like "being unique" or "meshing well," along with mentions of him listening to the fans' requests.

Between that and all the characters working as exceptions to the rule, it made sense at the time to dismiss the notion, especially when its proponents often argued in absolutes. . ."K. Rool has no chance because he's not in Returns or TF, you're delusional to think he's even a remote possibility because two games strip him of 'main villain' status, Dixie is now the only option for DK Rep because because." In retrospect, his odds were hampered by his absences, but, contrary to what a lot of fans will have you believe, there exists a middle ground between "shoo-in" and "no chance."

(also, "too big" detractors weren't right, because Sakurai never said anything about size, only about "accuracy to character" and "the correct way" to represent Ridley)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I use the name pretty much whenever I go online, and it's great to see when people taunt or crouch-spam or whatever to show that they like the notion of K. Rool for DLC, or at least acknowledge that they're aware that supporting K. Rool is something people do online where they're presumably active.
You should make a video complication.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I agree with this NOW, but for the longest time, there was never any proof that relevance played a role in Smash, outside of affecting whatever new Pokemon or Fire Emblem Lord got in. There were multiple different interviews where Sakurai laid out his character selection criteria and, unlike in these new interviews, "new games" or "future titles" never came up, only just vague criteria like "being unique" or "meshing well," along with mentions of him listening to the fans' requests.

Between that and all the characters working as exceptions to the rule, it made sense at the time to dismiss the notion, especially when its proponents often argued in absolutes. . ."K. Rool has no chance because he's not in Returns or TF, you're delusional to think he's even a remote possibility because two games strip him of 'main villain' status, Dixie is now the only option for DK Rep because because." In retrospect, his odds were hampered by his absences, but, contrary to what a lot of fans will have you believe, there exists a middle ground between "shoo-in" and "no chance."

(also, "too big" detractors weren't right, because Sakurai never said anything about size, only about "accuracy to character" and "the correct way" to represent Ridley)
But at the end of the day the relevance detractors were probably right, and like Ridley's size and body-part scaling being an issue (which it was ), it was clear to most people from the start. It never made sense to dismiss the notion of relevance. Every non retro, non clone newcomer has always been relevant in some form during their introduction in their respective Smash installment. There didn't need to be 'evidence' because past installments suggested relevance was an issue. If anything the burden was on you to provide some form of evidence that relevance wouldn't matter this installment seeing as it's mattered in every other one.

It was ok to disagree with detractors, but the term 'muhrelevance' was going around well before the final roster was revealed. The term basically implied that that it was stupid to think his relevance held him back. That was a perfectly valid opinion back then, and has probably turned out correct. It was certainly a much more reasonable opinion than the almost-certainty he'd get in that a lot of people had here.

Tons of people here expected him to be in the game and were positive relevancy wasn't an issue. I don't understand why it was ok to have that opinion, but the reverse opinion that he almost certainly wasn't going to make it in largely due to his relevance was worthy of derogatory name-calling like 'muhrelevance'. It was the same thing with Ridley. It was ok to think his size wouldn't be an issue, but if you did think it was an issue you were subject to derogatory statements like 'toobig'.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But at the end of the day the relevance detractors were probably right, and like Ridley's size and body-part scaling being an issue (which it was ), it was clear to most people from the start. It never made sense to dismiss the notion of relevance. Every non retro, non clone newcomer has always been relevant in some form during their introduction in their respective Smash installment. There didn't need to be 'evidence' because past installments suggested relevance was an issue. If anything the burden was on you to provide some form of evidence that relevance wouldn't matter this installment seeing as it's mattered in every other one.

It was ok to disagree with detractors, but the term 'muhrelevance' was going around well before the final roster was revealed. The term basically implied that that it was stupid to think his relevance held him back. That was a perfectly valid opinion back then, and has probably turned out correct. It was certainly a much more reasonable opinion than the almost-certainty he'd get in that a lot of people had here.

Tons of people here expected him to be in the game and were positive relevancy wasn't an issue. I don't understand why it was ok to have that opinion, but the reverse opinion that he almost certainly wasn't going to make it in largely due to his relevance was worthy of derogatory name-calling like 'muhrelevance'. It was the same thing with Ridley. It was ok to think his size wouldn't be an issue, but if you did think it was an issue you were subject to derogatory statements like 'toobig'.
The only times Sakurai brought up size was saying his wings were too big, something that is BS as Smash U is the first 2D game without Ridley having tiny wings and Sakurai saying he thinks Ridley is more intimidating when larger, the muh relevunceh stuff
is a joke, ever heard of them? It's also used as Sakurai said Uprising was a one-off thing yet that didn't stop Kid Icarus getting a lot of new content, every thread has some jokes about people, Toobigots, Muh reluvunceh, Deetractors, everything! Thing is, Sakurai contradicts himself all the time! He literally said Miis, Villager and Pac-man were silly ideas that were impossible and look now! He also said "Mewtwo won't be available for purchase", literally one day after, he says you can purchase him!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I can't speak for "too big," but "muhrelevance" as a term didn't come into being as a way to mock people discussing that possible counterargument, it came from when people put the concept of "relevance" on this pedestal to the point where nothing else mattered BUT characters' latest games. It got to the point where people were calling Bowser Jr. irrelevant for not showing up in NSMB2, then immediately reversing themselves when he was in NSMBU, then back again when 3D World hit. Complete ridiculousness, worthy of derision and dismissal, IMO.

The very fact that "non-clone, non-retro" has to be clarified as exceptions to character relevance is exactly why people found it so flimsy before these new interviews began coming out. Relevance is every bit as vague as "unique," in that there's no set definition for it, and it largely hinges on Sakurai's whims when all is said and done.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Happy New Year everyone, may we finally see the return of our kremling king in all his epic glory.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Happy New Year Kutthroats! Let's not stop supporting our King but also not give up! It's very likely we'll be having K Rool appear in a future DK game if the President of Retro supporting our movement means anything.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Happy New Year! Hopefully we will see the original trilogy re-released on the Wii U's VC worldwide sometime this year!

Let's sail for smoother seas, Kuttthroats! Let's make this year our Kremling King's Finest Hour!

Top Bottom