• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
K.Rool's got some good Krew
I'm confident in his inclusion

Last edited:

Toastie

Smash Rookie
I'd love it if we got King K. Rool, but I really don't want to get my hopes up. The original post kontains a very konvincing argument, but I'd hate to get hyped for his inklusion, only to be disappointed.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'd LOVE if K. Rool made that noise after getting footstooled.
I had an idea a while back that K. Rool flat out couldn't get footstooled because of his crown, or at least that foes who try to footstool him would take damage from its spikes, just like in DKC.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I had an idea a while back that K. Rool flat out couldn't get footstooled because of his crown, or at least that foes who try to footstool him would take damage from its spikes, just like in DKC.
... What about Bowser? Stepping on his head almost always a bad idea.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So, I know everyone here supports King K. Rool. But what do you all think of Dixie and how it affects K. Rool?
Personally, I support both characters and would absolutely love both, but if we are to only see one of the two, then I have to side with K. Rool.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So, I know everyone here supports King K. Rool. But what do you all think of Dixie and how it affects K. Rool?
Personally, I support both characters and would absolutely love both, but if we are to only see one of the two, then I have to side with K. Rool.
I'm really 50/50 on both characters nowadays. I know I have K. Rool in my signature, but my support for the reptile is really shifty. At times I find myself wanting Dixie in more than K. Rool, and at other times it's the opposite. Neither of them are my top wants anymore though, and actually I'm sort of neutral on the new DK-character -subject... I definitely wouldn't mind either of them, and would be ecstatic to see them both making it! That doesn't seem very likely though. Or does it?

Anyway, I don't think either character affects the others chances in any drastic way, as they both have their pro's and con's. That said, I think both of them have a pretty decent shot in making it in the game, which makes supporting one over the other even more difficult haha!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I support both of them, as you can see from my sig. I think both of them have really solid chances, and we can have 4 DK characters ths time.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I support both, but if I had to choose, I'd pick Dixie. However, the game needs both of them to complete the representation of the DK series in my eyes.

I don't think either one getting in affects the other's chances. Dixie and K. Rool both have their own merits that could get them into the game. I don't see them as "competing". Every Smash game in the past had at least one series that received two or more newcomers. If any series would be capable of getting multiple newcomers this time around, it's definitely DK.

Last edited:

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
I'm 100% K. Rool. The only Donkey Kong game I have played thoroughly is DK64, so I have no real connection to Dixie Kong at all. I think the King would bring more to the table anyway (not that I think Dixie would just be a Diddy clone, but the roster needs more villains and heavyweights). I think the best scenario would be if both characters are in.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If this were pre-Brawl, there would hardly be any question that people would clamor for and expect both K. Rool and Dixie without any of this "reps" or "slots" garbage. Right now, much of the community has lowered its expectations to the point where people are already defending the possibility of there not being any DK newcomer whatsoever despite its massive revival, despite considering a Kid Icarus newcomer 100% a lock because of its significantly smaller one-off "revival." People these days...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If this were pre-Brawl, there would hardly be any question that people would clamor for and expect both K. Rool and Dixie without any of this "reps" or "slots" garbage. Right now, much of the community has lowered its expectations to the point where people are already defending the possibility of there not being any DK newcomer whatsoever despite its massive revival, despite considering a Kid Icarus newcomer 100% a lock because of its significantly smaller one-off "revival." People these days...
I'm one of the relatively few people who believe they can both easily be in.

D

Deleted member

I can't be the only thinking that the thread title should be changed to "K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: An Enemy from Donkey Kong's Past Kould Appear At Any Second!"

Kickback

Smash Cadet
So a new Mario stage today(still no new DK stage) looks kinda bland IMO, anyone else think it's strange that there is no Bowser's Castle stage yet? Meta knight has the HalBerd, Ganondorf has gerudo valley, Wario has wario ware stage and King Dedede kinda shares the boxing ring with little mac.

Also if King K.rool joins ssb wiiu is it more likely that King k.rool gets a homestage dedicated to him or that he has to share DK's undoubtedly un original jungle stage?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Right now, much of the community has lowered its expectations to the point where people are already defending the possibility of there not being any DK newcomer whatsoever despite its massive revival, despite considering a Kid Icarus newcomer 100% a lock because of its significantly smaller one-off "revival." People these days...
I agree to this 100%.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can't imagine us NOT getting a new DK Newcomer. Frankly, if we have DLC for this game, the only way I see it working is if the DLC characters are semi-clones at least, creating a fully original character post-release would be too complicated. Dixie could get in that way, but at this point I also don't expect both Dixie and K. Rool, unfortunately. I could SEE both of them getting in, but I'm content with just one of them, and overall I think K. Rool would be the better choice.

I think Palutena is a lock, but I do agree, its ridiculous to suggest that DK's revival wasn't anything as spectacular, if not MORE spectacular than Kid Icarus with Returns getting a 3DS port and then Tropical Freeze as well. Plus, Diddy Kong was revealed EXTREMELY early, which could very well hint at a new DK character coming around later.

But you gotta keep in mind that the notion of "slots" is a major factor. There's only a limited number of characters that can possibly be added. The only problem is: we don't know how many could be added. So its hard to speculate on that notion.

Thirded.

I hesitate to bring it up again, but a certain leak probably has a part to play in those lowered expectations.
Oh, could it be the Sal Romano leak? Or is it a different one you're thinking of?

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... double standards are all in the rage in Smash circles nowadays it seems. I wish I knew what the heck happened. It used to bring peeps together. Now it's just competition. Only I don't see a winner.

I don't see why any one character is more precious than the next. Maybe it's the love for said-character. To not have him or her in is like they don't even exist. (Regrettably for a dark period I felt that way with K. Rool. Folks got me down.)

Then I found this thread. No joke. Felt better for it. Didn't feel alone. Felt some fresh honest to god hope at last. A few months later or so I joined in. Been happier for it! :) :)

...Discovered the TV show and now I don't think I could ever feel down again!

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I can't imagine us NOT getting a new DK Newcomer. Frankly, if we have DLC for this game, the only way I see it working is if the DLC characters are semi-clones at least, creating a fully original character post-release would be too complicated. Dixie could get in that way, but at this point I also don't expect both Dixie and K. Rool, unfortunately. I could SEE both of them getting in, but I'm content with just one of them, and overall I think K. Rool would be the better choice.

I think Palutena is a lock, but I do agree, its ridiculous to suggest that DK's revival wasn't anything as spectacular, if not MORE spectacular than Kid Icarus with Returns getting a 3DS port and then Tropical Freeze as well. Plus, Diddy Kong was revealed EXTREMELY early, which could very well hint at a new DK character coming around later.

But you gotta keep in mind that the notion of "slots" is a major factor. There's only a limited number of characters that can possibly be added. The only problem is: we don't know how many could be added. So its hard to speculate on that notion.

Oh, could it be the Sal Romano leak? Or is it a different one you're thinking of?
That and her leaked images really didn't help.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice
Things are getting very heated this time around and I have a feeling, the spots for playable characters have everyone very stressed. When Brawl was coming out, the sky seemed to be the limit. There was no say to how many characters would get in, or if there would be clones, so everyone didnt feel like they had to worry much. Before the game finally came out and all the characters were revealed we had already known about 12 newcomers. This time around people are a little more weary, especially with a 3DS version that cant handle as much as the Wii U. We currently sit at 30 characters and have plenty of veterans that will most likely come back, especially since Ike came back which many did not think would make it back.

We could easily get to 40 characters through Wario, Meta Knight, Ness, Captain Falcon, Game n Watch, Falco, Wolf, Jigglypuff, Lucas and ROB (Heck even Ice Climbers bring it to 11) . And with that, you really have to wonder how many newcomers we should be expecting.

If all the previous mentioned were to return and Sakurai set his sites one 45 characters, that would mean we may only see 5 more newcomers, and there are a lot of characters people want to see in the game still. We dont know if the 3DS will at all effect how big the roster is either (unlikely because if I heard right it can hold more info then the Wii, but still is a big reason people threat.) That all piled with things like thinking Mewtwo would obviously return and then not return in Brawl, makes the stress levels even higher, which in turn, make people a little more rude when it comes to characters getting in.

Plenty of characters are a simple coin flip. Whichever characters are in at this point all rest in the hands of Sakurai, and Sakurai's trollish nature does not help. I am sure many people are going to have their hopes crushed, and the best we can do is hope that fate doesn't fall upon this thread.

D

Deleted member

I don't consider both competitions to each other. I see like this:

If King K. Rool is planned as playable, he will definitely be on the roster. Whenever or not he is playable depends on how Sakurai views K. Rool. As for Dixie, I think she has a good chance of being planned, but I can easily see her as low priority and if she is, she runs into the real possibility of being axed.
We'll be lucky to even receive one DK newcomer this game. While King K. Rool should be all but in at this point, we're at the mercy of Sakurai's bias here and there's no way to tell whenever or not Sakurai sees him as playable material. Dixie's chances mainly hinge on whenever or not Sakurai sees her as playable material on her own and even if Sakurai does, there's no guarantee that she'll make the cut as there is a good chance she will be low priority.

Plus we don't know whenever or not there's more newcomers aside from what Sal has leaked so far. Which includes Palutena and is thus a lock (at least if you believe the leak that is).

If DK receives no newcomers, both King K. Rool and Dixie Kong fans will need to prepare immediately after SSB 3DS & Wii U's roster is confirmed and rather than fight for a third "spot", join together to get both in. I seriously hope that if Sakurai is somehow, dense enough to not add a newcomer, that whoever takes over will have to sense to place both in SSB6. Even just K. Rool would be enough for me to buy SSB6; even if I don't intend to follow speculation after this game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Okay, so I spent a little while toying around on Paint trying to make a workable K. Rool model for use in size comparisons, and I think I've got a reasonably proportioned one cooked up.

Here's how it would compare to other playable characters as a playable character.

Here's how it would compare to other characters as a stage boss.

These aren't 100% perfect, but I think they're a visual representation of why I detest the idea of K. Rool as a boss, and you should too, and why no one should claim he's "lucky" to be a boss if that comes to pass.

Anyhow, I don't have Photoshop, but if anyone would like to cut out that K. Rool and play around with it on other stages, feel entirely free.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Okay, so I spent a little while toying around on Paint trying to make a workable K. Rool model for use in size comparisons, and I think I've got a reasonably proportioned one cooked up.

Here's how it would compare to other playable characters as a playable character.

Here's how it would compare to other characters as a stage boss.

These aren't 100% perfect, but I think they're a visual representation of why I detest the idea of K. Rool as a boss, and you should too, and why no one should claim he's "lucky" to be a boss if that comes to pass.

Anyhow, I don't have Photoshop, but if anyone would like to cut out that K. Rool and play around with it on other stages, feel entirely free.
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the boss has to necessarily be very large. Just because the bosses we've seen are huge doesn't mean they all will be huge.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Someone like K. Rool, being humanoid, can more easily be adjusted in size to play in Smash better than some characters.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think the boss has to necessarily be very large. Just because the bosses we've seen are huge doesn't mean they all will be huge.
I understand that (even though all of the Brawl bosses were, but I digress); with this boss mock-up, I basically tried to create a size that mirrored his original DKC size in comparison to DK. That's one of the excuses for why K. Rool as a boss is tolerable..."He was a big boss in DKC, so he can be a big boss here too!"

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Terrible ABC logic when it comes to arguing against any villains really.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Here's something I did for fun: A comparison of K. Rool and Bowser in their actual main game sizes.

Based on DKC, Mario vs. Donkey: Mini-Land Mayhem! and NSMBU. As you can see, K. Rool with his crown is pretty much the same height as Bowser standing upright. Without his crown he'd be a little shorter.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Here's something I did for fun: A comparison of K. Rool and Bowser in their actual main game sizes.

Based on DKC, Mario vs. Donkey: Mini-Land Mayhem! and NSMBU. As you can see, K. Rool with his crown is pretty much the same height as Bowser standing upright. Without his crown he'd be a little shorter.
This is actually amazing and super impressive. 10/10 would stare at again.

Topplox

Smash Apprentice

One thing to note about the DKC is that diddy was actually about the same height as Donkey Kong. In that regards, Donkey Kong should be almost twice the size in that picture by today's standards, making K.Rool's size much less of a problem. The only game to which the DK to Diddy to K.Rool ratio seemed stable was DK64, in which Diddy was smaller then DK, and K.Rool was huge.

I dont think size is necessarily a problem for Sakurai, as characters can easily be sized down and still look big. Bowser still looks like the size he should be around when compared to the rest of the mario gang. The big reasoning for the "too big" argument is Ridley, which isint as much about him being to big rather then too lanky. He has a long neck and long limbs and in order to give him his large look when compared to samus, you really would have to have Ridley all crunched up, with his limbs close by and his wings folded and his head close in. I still think with some work Ridley could be shrunk down and still look good, but Sakurai seems to feel that the boss status feels more natural to RIdley's shape, which is unfortunate.

K.Rool has a very basic human like stance, and would be a pretty easy character to add in. The size issue really isint a big problem, since I think DK and K.Rool werent too different in size in Sluggers. Really the amount of games where DK and K.Rool are (or should be) similar size are probably more then the games where K.Rool is legitimately huge.

Top Bottom