• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
I had an insane dream last night that DKCR3 came out and I played the whole thing in one huge marathon. Some stuff's fuzzy but I thought you Kutthroats might enjoy it after debating all day over whether you would or wouldn't. So, this is a summary of what my diseased brain can remember.

~Donkey Kong Country : Return of The King~
So, it's a stormy night on DK Isle (the Retro version, not the Rare version). DK himself is sound asleep in his hammock, but the camera pans towards his hut's window and out towards the beach. A mysterious rowboat has washed ashore; and then a remix of this plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuaiKRruwac Lightning crashes, revealing K. Rool's silhouette gettting out and turning to face DK's home. The next morning, DK gets up and goes to check his nanner hoard, only to find K. Rool and Cranky trashtalking each other and preparing to duel over the hoard. DK joins Cranky and basically proceeds to win the easiest boss fight of his life (the King is oddly lethargic, coughing and sneezing often [it was sort of a tutorial level]). After the apes best him, K. Rool laments how those pesky monkeys have no business defeating a king so soundly....and his demeanor changes. He turns away from the Kongs (Diddy and Dixie [more commonly known as the only one you'll ever use] are here, too. Can't remember how or why, but whatever) for a moment and thinks before snapping his scaly fingers, turning to the group and laughing (DK64 style). He says something like 'maybe you mammals are just what I needed' and dumps some exposition on them. After Fredrik had his blubbery behind handed to him by DK, he started looking for another island to call home, eventually stumbling upon the resurrected Crocodile Isle, booting most of the Kremlings off, and claiming it for his own. K. Rool and the Kremling Krew have been sailing the high seas for weeks, and are very low on supplies; naturally, K. Rool recalled DK's banana hoard, and thought DK Isle would be a great place to...er, resupply. The King himself decided to go ashore alone and try to negotiate (or something?). Anyway, blah, blah, stuff I can't recall (except Dixie is all snarky during the exchange and constantly chewing bubblegum and blowing bubbles and it's awesome), but it's eventually decided that the Kongs will reinvade Crocodile Isle with The Kremlings' help to oust the Snowmads. K. Rool takes them back to his galleon, opens the hold to reveal the Flying Krock, which they ride over Crocodile Isle (during the flight, Klump gives you a tutorial on how to play if you need it and it's so ****ing cool) and parachute down. K. Rool and a small force of Kremlings follow the Kongs, and the REAL game begins.

The actual game is more or less a modern, fairly revamped, stretched out version of DKC2 with Snowmads as the enemies de jour and patches of ice and stuff in places. The shops though? Those were amazing. There were two in every world: Funky's Flights, which sold balloons, banana juice, barrels, those ball toys, and Squawks, and Klubba's Kiosk, which sold keys to secret levels like in Returns, all the weird balloons from Tropical Freeze, crash guards, and the super guide, which is actually K. Rool showing you how to navigate all the more treacherous areas of the island. Most of the bosses were rematches from Tropical Freeze, and the rocketbarrel levels....um, I actually can't remember most of them. I know the one before the final boss showed the Flying Krock and the giant Snowmad ship blasting away at each other, raining down bits of debris and enemies to serve as obstacles (also, the Snowmad ship fires snowballs at you and the Flying Krock occasionally shoots a heart at you). Anyway, the Snowmad ship is downed and crashes on the highest point of Crocodile Isle; DK flies the rocketbarrel into it and sees Fredrik's shadow looming near a throne. He rushes over, and...it's a puppet. Like, a really, REALLY bad puppet with button eyes, bananas for tusks, oven mitts for hands, and a sack of flour for a gut. It's hilarious. Anyway, K. Rool appears grinning from behind a curtain with more plot. We see a flashback of Gangplank Galleon pulling up next to the Snowmad ship; Fredrik and K. Rool have a conversation that went something like this:
"Leåve us åløne. We've just been beåten by å dumb mönkey in å tie."
"....A monkey with a tie, you say?" K. Rool's eye bulges. "By any chance, was that monkey's name...Donkey Kong?"

So, basically, the two teamed up to distract DK and co on Crocodile Isle while the bulk of the Kremlings stole the banana hoard and Fred and some Snowmads recaptured DK Isle. DK doesn't get it, so K. Rool dumbs it down for him (I actually remember this word for word):
"Bananas go bye-bye"
At this, DK beats his chest and starts the real boss battle vs K. Rool. He throws his crown, bunny hops, shoots wacky gas and spiked kannonballs from his blunderbuss...it's great. DK beats him, and he flees to DK Island for more assistance. When you catch him, you're treated to a brilliant tag team boss battle where a third is K. Rool battling you while Fred shoots some ice dragons, another third is Fred battling you while K. Rool pulls a Dumb Drum out and dumps klaptraps and stuff on you (when he's gotten sick of those spiky kannonballs), and the final third has the two kings fighting you at the same time, only to fail, get launched off DK Isle, slam into Crocodile Isle (which starts sinking....again...) and the Snowmad ship, and credits.

....words cannot describe how disappointed I was when I woke up this morning. Also, looking back at it, it seems sort of like the plot to a DK RPG or something. I dunno. Thought you guys might enjoy it.
Make it happen retro!

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
I would imagine that Isaac is K. Rool's biggest "threat." I feel if Sakurai promised several characters then K. Rool and Isaac should not be direct competitors. Other than Isaac however I cannot think of a single competing Nintendo character at this point. I would be shocked if Sakurai picked a nobody like Sir Kibble from Kirby.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
I would imagine that Isaac is K. Rool's biggest "threat." I feel if Sakurai promised several characters then K. Rool and Isaac should not be direct competitors. Other than Isaac however I cannot think of a single competing Nintendo character at this point. I would be shocked if Sakurai picked a nobody like Sir Kibble from Kirby.
Well there is a certain purple space pirate leader who has been wronged by Sakurai before...:lick:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
But Sir Kibble has that marketability. #SirKibble4Smash
Sir Kibble's Kibbles!
Its dog food.

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
I had an insane dream last night that DKCR3 came out and I played the whole thing in one huge marathon. Some stuff's fuzzy but I thought you Kutthroats might enjoy it after debating all day over whether you would or wouldn't. So, this is a summary of what my diseased brain can remember.

~Donkey Kong Country : Return of The King~
So, it's a stormy night on DK Isle (the Retro version, not the Rare version). DK himself is sound asleep in his hammock, but the camera pans towards his hut's window and out towards the beach. A mysterious rowboat has washed ashore; and then a remix of this plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuaiKRruwac Lightning crashes, revealing K. Rool's silhouette gettting out and turning to face DK's home. The next morning, DK gets up and goes to check his nanner hoard, only to find K. Rool and Cranky trashtalking each other and preparing to duel over the hoard. DK joins Cranky and basically proceeds to win the easiest boss fight of his life (the King is oddly lethargic, coughing and sneezing often [it was sort of a tutorial level]). After the apes best him, K. Rool laments how those pesky monkeys have no business defeating a king so soundly....and his demeanor changes. He turns away from the Kongs (Diddy and Dixie [more commonly known as the only one you'll ever use] are here, too. Can't remember how or why, but whatever) for a moment and thinks before snapping his scaly fingers, turning to the group and laughing (DK64 style). He says something like 'maybe you mammals are just what I needed' and dumps some exposition on them. After Fredrik had his blubbery behind handed to him by DK, he started looking for another island to call home, eventually stumbling upon the resurrected Crocodile Isle, booting most of the Kremlings off, and claiming it for his own. K. Rool and the Kremling Krew have been sailing the high seas for weeks, and are very low on supplies; naturally, K. Rool recalled DK's banana hoard, and thought DK Isle would be a great place to...er, resupply. The King himself decided to go ashore alone and try to negotiate (or something?). Anyway, blah, blah, stuff I can't recall (except Dixie is all snarky during the exchange and constantly chewing bubblegum and blowing bubbles and it's awesome), but it's eventually decided that the Kongs will reinvade Crocodile Isle with The Kremlings' help to oust the Snowmads. K. Rool takes them back to his galleon, opens the hold to reveal the Flying Krock, which they ride over Crocodile Isle (during the flight, Klump gives you a tutorial on how to play if you need it and it's so ****ing cool) and parachute down. K. Rool and a small force of Kremlings follow the Kongs, and the REAL game begins.

The actual game is more or less a modern, fairly revamped, stretched out version of DKC2 with Snowmads as the enemies de jour and patches of ice and stuff in places. The shops though? Those were amazing. There were two in every world: Funky's Flights, which sold balloons, banana juice, barrels, those ball toys, and Squawks, and Klubba's Kiosk, which sold keys to secret levels like in Returns, all the weird balloons from Tropical Freeze, crash guards, and the super guide, which is actually K. Rool showing you how to navigate all the more treacherous areas of the island. Most of the bosses were rematches from Tropical Freeze, and the rocketbarrel levels....um, I actually can't remember most of them. I know the one before the final boss showed the Flying Krock and the giant Snowmad ship blasting away at each other, raining down bits of debris and enemies to serve as obstacles (also, the Snowmad ship fires snowballs at you and the Flying Krock occasionally shoots a heart at you). Anyway, the Snowmad ship is downed and crashes on the highest point of Crocodile Isle; DK flies the rocketbarrel into it and sees Fredrik's shadow looming near a throne. He rushes over, and...it's a puppet. Like, a really, REALLY bad puppet with button eyes, bananas for tusks, oven mitts for hands, and a sack of flour for a gut. It's hilarious. Anyway, K. Rool appears grinning from behind a curtain with more plot. We see a flashback of Gangplank Galleon pulling up next to the Snowmad ship; Fredrik and K. Rool have a conversation that went something like this:
"Leåve us åløne. We've just been beåten by å dumb mönkey in å tie."
"....A monkey with a tie, you say?" K. Rool's eye bulges. "By any chance, was that monkey's name...Donkey Kong?"

So, basically, the two teamed up to distract DK and co on Crocodile Isle while the bulk of the Kremlings stole the banana hoard and Fred and some Snowmads recaptured DK Isle. DK doesn't get it, so K. Rool dumbs it down for him (I actually remember this word for word):
"Bananas go bye-bye"
At this, DK beats his chest and starts the real boss battle vs K. Rool. He throws his crown, bunny hops, shoots wacky gas and spiked kannonballs from his blunderbuss...it's great. DK beats him, and he flees to DK Island for more assistance. When you catch him, you're treated to a brilliant tag team boss battle where a third is K. Rool battling you while Fred shoots some ice dragons, another third is Fred battling you while K. Rool pulls a Dumb Drum out and dumps klaptraps and stuff on you (when he's gotten sick of those spiky kannonballs), and the final third has the two kings fighting you at the same time, only to fail, get launched off DK Isle, slam into Crocodile Isle (which starts sinking....again...) and the Snowmad ship, and credits.

....words cannot describe how disappointed I was when I woke up this morning. Also, looking back at it, it seems sort of like the plot to a DK RPG or something. I dunno. Thought you guys might enjoy it.
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY! Seriously this sounds amazing! I would totally play this!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
He did say that there were several more characters, so yeah, I really don't think they're competitors at all. I agree with @Xzsmmc to be honest, if anyone keeps K. Rool out its Sakurai (but personally I think he's more likely in than not at this point, which he certainly doesn't agree with).

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
Remember when the world ended in 2012? :troll:

So, if K. Rool would appear in the Death Battle, who do you think his opponent would be?
My guesses would be Bowser or Dedede. I think someone like Gruntilda would be interesting too.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Continuing the countdown to 1000 pages.

Hey, everyone, can you see, can you see? We can get King K. Rool in and voting is the key!

Four!

Man, I sure hope K. Rool does get in. I'd be glad if that were to happen.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The most voted polls by far:

1. King K. Rool:
335 Yes
156 No
38 Indifferent

2. Wolf:
369 Yes
46 No
44 Indifferent

3. Shantae:
288 Yes
130 No
33 Indifferent

4. Krystal:
175 No
160 Yes
50 Indifferent

5. Bandanna Dee:
212 Yes
87 No
73 Indifferent

6. Balloon Fighter:
138 No
107 Indifferent
100 Yes

7. Daisy:
179 Yes
115 No
23 Indifferent

8. Isaac:
225 Yes
52 Indifferent
39 No

9. Pichu:
148 No
100 Yes
32 Indifferent

10. Shovel Knight:
133 No
93 Yes
53 Indifferent

If you want to change the circumstances for some characters you gotta vote here. ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/dail...mon-lana-sylux-zael-top-10-most-voted.410404/

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Competitors? No obvious ones. The characters beating K. Rool are likely either veterans or impossible third parties. Among the newcomers, the only remotely close characters suffer from similar "problems," be they relevance like Isaac or having a costume like the Inklings. If we don't win this one, the actual choice is going to defy convention and/or the ballot results (which will lead to a lot of annoying "See!?!? It was a suggestion box where votes never mattered ever at all lolololol!")

Last edited:

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
If you look, it's clearly not in order of popularity. The poles are just numbered

No.7 Daisy with 179 yesses and 115 nos is not beating No.8 Isaac with 225 yesses and 39 nos.

The most voted polls by far:

1. King K. Rool:
335 Yes
156 No
38 Indifferent

2. Wolf:
369 Yes
46 No
44 Indifferent

3. Shantae:
288 Yes
130 No
33 Indifferent

4. Krystal:
175 No
160 Yes
50 Indifferent

5. Bandanna Dee:
212 Yes
87 No
73 Indifferent

6. Balloon Fighter:
138 No
107 Indifferent
100 Yes

7. Daisy:
179 Yes
115 No
23 Indifferent

8. Isaac:
225 Yes
52 Indifferent
39 No

9. Pichu:
148 No
100 Yes
32 Indifferent

10. Shovel Knight:
133 No
93 Yes
53 Indifferent

If you want to change the circumstances for some characters you gotta vote here. ;)
http://smashboards.com/threads/dail...mon-lana-sylux-zael-top-10-most-voted.410404/
Good job getting this poll done!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
To be fair, I did say from day one that the ballot is more of a suggestion box than a political race to the finish.

Which is, to reiterate the old mantra, why we can't get complacent. It's all well and good to have more physical entries in the ballot: we need to demonstrate why K. Rool would be a good choice, rather than just explain how.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
God we need a Nintendo Direct badly! These press releases and "Overview trailers" just aren't hype enough. We need one soon at least before Mario Maker releases. There is still lots of news for upcoming games we don't know about yet. Triforce Heroes, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (modes we don't know about yet), Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (characters to be appearing, modes, whether it has online or not..), Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash, Whatever Retro is working on, Star Fox Zero, and of course upcoming Smash Bros DLC. While I'd love if K.Rool got into Smash I'd hate if he was announced in a press release then the Smash site updates with a character profile and screens. It would NOT be as hype as him appearing unsuspectingly in a Nintendo Direct.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If you look, it's clearly not in order of popularity. The poles are just numbered

No.7 Daisy with 179 yesses and 115 nos is not beating No.8 Isaac with 225 yesses and 39 nos.

Good job getting this poll done!
What poll is this? I keep hearing about a poll but I don't see it. Was it posted by someone I'm blocking?

To be fair, I did say from day one that the ballot is more of a suggestion box than a political race to the finish.

Which is, to reiterate the old mantra, why we can't get complacent. It's all well and good to have more physical entries in the ballot: we need to demonstrate why K. Rool would be a good choice, rather than just explain how.
That's what a lot of people had stated. At the same time, its faulty logic. Technically its a suggestion box, but odds are if a character is clearly running away with the results, they'll certainly think twice about the character's inclusion.

Morbi

Scavenger
What poll is this? I keep hearing about a poll but I don't see it. Was it posted by someone I'm blocking?

That's what a lot of people had stated. At the same time, its faulty logic. Technically its a suggestion box, but odds are if a character is clearly running away with the results, they'll certainly think twice about the character's inclusion.
I believe it is BluePikmin's poll. I am not entirely certain, but you can always disable the blocked posts temporarily near the bottom right hand corner of the screen if I recall correctly.

Secondly, I do not find that logic faulty to be honest. I mean, you have a point, but that has nothing to do with the suggestion box logic so much as it has to do with a different logic that you personally adhere to.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It isn't faulty logic. It's a realistic conception.

I never said that it's based solely on suggestion, just that it isn't an objective paint-by-numbers process. It asks you for 500 characters' worth of rationale as to why this character has gotten your vote. We need to explain rationally why we opted to elect this candidate, rather than just rest content that the vote itself carried our voice for us.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It isn't faulty logic. It's a realistic conception.

I never said that it's based solely on suggestion, just that it isn't an objective paint-by-numbers process. It asks you for 500 characters' worth of rationale as to why this character has gotten your vote. We need to explain rationally why we opted to elect this candidate, rather than just rest content that the vote itself carried our voice for us.
Well, yeah, its not an objective paint-by-the-numbers process, but the ones with more results will definitely get more consideration. Obviously we also need to clearly explain the reasoning for the pick and why he's a good choice.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608

All the votes are coming from this thread please vote for every character that you Want, Don't Want, or are Indifferent to.

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
God we need a Nintendo Direct badly! These press releases and "Overview trailers" just aren't hype enough. We need one soon at least before Mario Maker releases. There is still lots of news for upcoming games we don't know about yet. Triforce Heroes, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival (modes we don't know about yet), Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (characters to be appearing, modes, whether it has online or not..), Chibi-Robo: Zip Lash, Whatever Retro is working on, Star Fox Zero, and of course upcoming Smash Bros DLC. While I'd love if K.Rool got into Smash I'd hate if he was announced in a press release then the Smash site updates with a character profile and screens. It would NOT be as hype as him appearing unsuspectingly in a Nintendo Direct.
At first I thought amiibo festival was a cruel joke made by nintemdo... kind of like blast ball... except the only difference is that blast ball wasn't meant to be taken as a joke and was just cruel...

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
At first I thought amiibo festival was a cruel joke made by nintemdo... kind of like blast ball... except the only difference is that blast ball wasn't meant to be taken as a joke and was just cruel...
Side-games are an important avenue for getting newcomers into a series, though, as they're often more readily-accessible than diving head-first into a long-established canon (there are some exceptions, such as the Kirby series, where those responsible go to great effort to keep things equally accessible, but this is relatively rare). These things make good business sense.

I've seen it suggested several times that, if K. Rool had been appearing in recent side-games on a regular basis, he would be a more familiar and "recent" face to more people, and may have gotten into Smash already by now. Whilst I'm personally still unsure on the difference this may have made, I also know that its logic is perfectly sound due to the above.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Side-games are an important avenue for getting newcomers into a series, though, as they're often more readily-accessible than diving head-first into a long-established canon (there are some exceptions, such as the Kirby series, where those responsible go to great effort to keep things equally accessible, but this is relatively rare). These things make good business sense.

I've seen it suggested several times that, if K. Rool had been appearing in recent side-games on a regular basis, he would be a more familiar and "recent" face to more people, and may have gotten into Smash already by now. Whilst I'm personally still unsure on the difference this may have made, I also know that its logic is perfectly sound due to the above.
Mario Super Sluggers
I really do wish they had promoted K. Rool more. If they had given him more cameos/appearances, we might be celebrating his inclusion right now.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Okay seriously if this ballot thing goes south I might be a splatoon only gamer for a while. I can't think of anyone that should be in more than King K Rool.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I can't wait for the announcement that K.Rool is in Smash....but not the Smash we're thinking of but Ultra Smash. :troll:

Last edited:
Top Bottom