• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Okay seriously if this ballot thing goes south I might be a splatoon only gamer for a while. I can't think of anyone that should be in more than King K Rool.
Splatoon only gamer. So if the ballot goes south, you are exclusively playing Splatoon. No other games that aren't Splatoon. Not even games that aren't Smash. Wow that would get boring (Splatoon isn't boring, just playing it exclusively for a long time would be).

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be fair, I did say from day one that the ballot is more of a suggestion box than a political race to the finish.

Which is, to reiterate the old mantra, why we can't get complacent. It's all well and good to have more physical entries in the ballot: we need to demonstrate why K. Rool would be a good choice, rather than just explain how.
Yeah, I kinda just assumed that the many smart users in here with lots of ideas to share would be demonstrating why K. Rool would be a good choice in their write-ups, not falling into the trap of so many other character fanbases of "Their game was soooo gooooood!!" And yet people seem to think that "K.
Rool fans only like him because muh DK reps and villain reps." It's kind of funny, actually.

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
Splatoon only gamer. So if the ballot goes south, you are exclusively playing Splatoon. No other games that aren't Splatoon. Not even games that aren't Smash. Wow that would get boring (Splatoon isn't boring, just playing it exclusively for a long time would be).
Hey, being a Squid Kid is serious business.

Also cripes. All I can think about recently is Smash. Pondering what my top three characters would do, thinking up full movesets... guh. King K.Rool is really fun to consider all the time though, due to all his personalities.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hey, being a Squid Kid is serious business.

Also cripes. All I can think about recently is Smash. Pondering what my top three characters would do, thinking up full movesets... guh. King K.Rool is really fun to consider all the time though, due to all his personalities.
Hey, this was me and still is me for the last 3 years!
I know being a squid kid is serious business, unfortunately, I missed out on the most recent Splatfest.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I misspoke I should have said that I'll be taking a huge smash break and my smash time will be fill with more Splatoon.

I hope Sakurai knows what he is doing because my faith is being tested. Man King K needs to be in this game.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ganondorf is a king too...
And the Trouble King event was in Melee when Ganondorf debuted. They didn't really count him as part of it, though. They mostly focused on the bulkier "trouble kings," starting with Bowser then adding Dedede in Brawl. The next character who fits this is K. Rool. Ganondorf only fits if its his Ganon persona specifically.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It isn't faulty logic. It's a realistic conception.

I never said that it's based solely on suggestion, just that it isn't an objective paint-by-numbers process. It asks you for 500 characters' worth of rationale as to why this character has gotten your vote. We need to explain rationally why we opted to elect this candidate, rather than just rest content that the vote itself carried our voice for us.
I honestly doubt that the character who gets in will be the one with the best explanation/s. I think they'll just look at the frontrunners, and see whether they feel like they can turn them into a fighter. I think they saw that K. Rool was leading it, but didn't think he'd work as a fighter for whatever reason so they made a costume as a compensation. That's how Sakurai thinks; if he knows a character is popular but doesn't think they'll work as a fighter he'll put them in the game another way.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, we are talking about Splatoon now, huh? By the way...

Wait there's more! They have not sunk the boat, so le't give K. Rool some votes!

What?

Five!

That's no jive, take a dive!

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly doubt that the character who gets in will be the one with the best explanation/s. I think they'll just look at the frontrunners, and see whether they feel like they can turn them into a fighter. I think they saw that K. Rool was leading it, but didn't think he'd work as a fighter for whatever reason so they made a costume as a compensation. That's how Sakurai thinks; if he knows a character is popular but doesn't think they'll work as a fighter he'll put them in the game another way.
Why do you believe that this is precisely how Sakurai thinks? Empirical evidence? Or did he actually state that?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Can we have a CGI movie for the ballot character? Please? Who am I kidding, I'm a silly old fool.

Morbi

Scavenger
Can we have a CGI movie for the ballot character? Please? Who am I kidding, I'm a silly old fool.
You never know, maybe Sakurai did want to do a CGI trailer for the character leading the ballot and that is why we have not yet gotten a King K. Rool announcement despite the costume? I am optimistic.

Pakky

Smash Hero
You never know, maybe Sakurai did want to do a CGI trailer for the character leading the ballot and that is why we have not yet gotten a King K. Rool announcement despite the costume? I am optimistic.
I believe you, with all my heart. My god, his music is the best. Orchestra remixes of DKC2's theme or bust!

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kid
I'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kid I'm right behind you now.
Komeiji.Koishi.full.1874080.jpg
What happened there...? Anyways - a sneak peak about my K. Rool Moveset - it's in the "Unique for their moveset" category of newcomers rather than having an actual gimmick.

Side Smash: K. Rool launches a rocket-powered boxing glove at his foe.
Up Smash: K. Rool swings his blunderbuss to a 90 degree angle above his head and fires a Kannonball at anyone caught in the swing
Down Smash: King K. Rool takes his Remote control from DKC3 and smashes it, accidentally electrocuting himself in the progress and any victim who touches him at this time.

I'll post a bit more when I get home.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kid
I'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kidI'm a Kutthroat now. I'm an Adept now. I'm a Squid now. I'm a Kid now. I'm a Kutthroat I'm an Adept I'm a squid I'm a kid i'm a kutthroat i'm an adept i'm a squid i'm a kid I'm right behind you now.
What happened there...? Anyways - a sneak peak about my K. Rool Moveset - it's in the "Unique for their moveset" category of newcomers rather than having an actual gimmick.

Side Smash: K. Rool launches a rocket-powered boxing glove at his foe.
Up Smash: K. Rool swings his blunderbuss to a 90 degree angle above his head and fires a Kannonball at anyone caught in the swing
Down Smash: King K. Rool takes his Remote control from DKC3 and smashes it, accidentally electrocuting himself in the progress and any victim who touches him at this time.

I'll post a bit more when I get home.
The real question, does he take the electricity damage in the same vein as Pichu or Flare Blitz?

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
To be fair, I've been binging on mostly Splatoon for weeks here. I need a break occasionally, but the constant updates and the constant goal of max upgrading all gear in the game, (Yeah, I'm kind of going full on completionist there...), keeps the game engaging for the most part. My vigor will probably pick up back to my day one purchase excitement if they announce playable Octolings for the online campaign.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
You know, lately as days pass by I get more and more angry at sakurai. I think it has to do with this:

Sakurai always pushes that a character must be unique and bring something interesting to the table.
I would believe this, if 1/4 to 1/2 of the roster doesn't even do this.

People always say how a fighter must have the "essence" of the character to work.
*cough* :drmario::4lucina::4darkpit::pichumelee: *cough* (don't give me the junk of "its extra characters for free! They had less time. I don't mind them, but they still contradict what he says)

And yet he has the guts to make K. Rool a mii costume, when he clearly fits those criteria and you completely say it will be fan service from here. Way to go.

Sorry if I brought any negativity here, but I had to say it. It pisses me off when characters like this are shot down for the dumbest reasons.

Anyway. It's pretty awesome that we are near a 1000 pages. Can't wait 'til it happens!

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Good lord, this whole wait is grating on my sub conscious. After so long of pouring in my support for the King (the only one I've actually campaign for and did art for), and knowing it all hangs in the balance with the Mii Costume staring at us from a far off corner really just makes me want to see this end, either confirm K. Rool or deconfirm him so that I can move on either way.

Obviously I'd hate to see him deconfirm K. Rool the same way he did Ridley by personally addressing him and as to why, but I don't want to be strung along until the DLC ends.

We won't really know what Sakurai thinks of K. Rool until he mentions him or reveals him. If K. Rool isn't in and Sakurai doesn't even state why like Ridley, it's either K. Rool isn't as popular as we thought (and he most definitely is) or Sakurai really just does not care about K. Rool and we'd be hard pressed to change his mind. That Mii Costume just has so many questions and no answers related to it.

Ugh.

I want to get off the wild ride but I don't want to do so empty handed.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
And the Trouble King event was in Melee when Ganondorf debuted. They didn't really count him as part of it, though. They mostly focused on the bulkier "trouble kings," starting with Bowser then adding Dedede in Brawl. The next character who fits this is K. Rool. Ganondorf only fits if its his Ganon persona specifically.
I'm pretty sure Ganondorf is called the Great King of Evil. It says it on the opening floating scene in the fight with Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm pretty sure Ganondorf is called the Great King of Evil. It says it on the opening floating scene in the fight with Ganondorf in Ocarina of Time.
Of course he's the King of Evil, that's not the point. Bowser and Dedede were the only ones referred to as the "trouble kings" in the past, and what do they have in common? They're large, hulking, anthro animal styled villains. K. Rool is the same way. Ganondorf, on the other hand, is a human. He's "technically" a heavyweight, but not in the same form as Bowser, Dedede, and K. Rool would be.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Of course he's the King of Evil, that's not the point. Bowser and Dedede were the only ones referred to as the "trouble kings" in the past, and what do they have in common? They're large, hulking, anthro animal styled villains. K. Rool is the same way. Ganondorf, on the other hand, is a human. He's "technically" a heavyweight, but not in the same form as Bowser, Dedede, and K. Rool would be.
Ah, I see what your getting at. I thought you originally meant only Ganon was called a King lol.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Perfect taunt pose after you've K.Oed someone.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People always say how a fighter must have the "essence" of the character to work.
Yes, it's almost as though there's not a single objective "essence" to characters and it's actually all a matter of personal preference.

With regard to the write-ups, I don't think they'll be super influential in terms of making up for quantity of votes (a single persuasive write-up for Brash the Bear isn't going to do much, tragically). However, if two characters have more or less the same number of votes, or if Sakurai and the team aren't interested in a character, having quality write-ups could make all the difference in the world. I mean, they're asking for up to 500 words of write-up per vote for a reason, right?

Morbi

Scavenger
You know, lately as days pass by I get more and more angry at sakurai. I think it has to do with this:

Sakurai always pushes that a character must be unique and bring something interesting to the table.
I would believe this, if 1/4 to 1/2 of the roster doesn't even do this.

*cough* :drmario::4lucina::4darkpit::pichumelee: *cough* (don't give me the junk of "its extra characters for free! They had less time. I don't mind them, but they still contradict what he says)

And yet he has the guts to make K. Rool a mii costume, when he clearly fits those criteria and you completely say it will be fan service from here. Way to go.

Sorry if I brought any negativity here, but I had to say it. It pisses me off when characters like this are shot down for the dumbest reasons.

Anyway. It's pretty awesome that we are near a 1000 pages. Can't wait 'til it happens!
I would argue that those characters DO bring something unique and interesting to the table. They might not be revolutionary, well, actually, in the case of Pichu, I would argue that his mechanic IS probably the most unique in all of Smash. However, they do allow you to explore a familiar move-set in a different way, or at least Doctor Mario and Lucina do that. It is not as though every single statement that Sakurai utters needs to be completely objective and have no exceptions. I understand your frustration, but at the same time, I feel as though Sakurai accomplished his goal of bringing something interesting to the table with these clone characters. Therefore, they do not inherently contradict what he says. You have a right to perceive it that way though.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The real question, does he take the electricity damage in the same vein as Pichu or Flare Blitz?
If anything, K. Rool chars himself black like he does when the Blunderbuss misfires - and as such has a bit of endlag. Rest assured that the charred effect is temporary. Actually, maybe that could also apply to when someone throws a Bob-omb into the Blunderbuss as he's using it, and it explodes on him and takes damage like how Wario and Kirby do.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I do believe of the top 20 most popular Ballot characters. K. Rool might be the only true heavyweight of the newcomers. Next would be Snake which I put him on the veteran list. Maybe Banjo-Kazooie could be a heavy guy, depending what scale they decide for him. And I kind want to count Ridley, but its hard for him to be accepted by Sakurai at this point; but you never know, he is still getting votes after all.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I think it would be amazing if (after Sakurai having destroyed the hope of Ridley fans with him being unplayable) he ended up giving us Ridley! He does do a lot of things backwards sometimes, hence the no fighting game characters...and *cough* Ryu *cough*. It would be so cool to get Ridley along with King K. Rool though. The internet might just explode with the arrival of the remaining "BIG 3"!!! =O

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Why do you believe that this is precisely how Sakurai thinks? Empirical evidence? Or did he actually state that?
Because he's done it several times in the past. Ridley, Takamaru, Chrom etc. we're popular but couldn't be playable for whatever reason, so he gave them lesser roles.

cothero

Smash Lord
I think it would be amazing if (after Sakurai having destroyed the hope of Ridley fans with him being unplayable) he ended up giving us Ridley! He does do a lot of things backwards sometimes, hence the no fighting game characters...and *cough* Ryu *cough*. It would be so cool to get Ridley along with King K. Rool though. The internet might just explode with the arrival of the remaining "BIG 3"!!! =O
Well, if Ridley actually make it in, Etika would probably post videos about it for the next two months.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Welp, had another k. Rool dream last night. I went on the reddit to find a "k. rool leak" on smashboards and it was a video on youtube of a guy in UK who got a special box in the mail from Nintendo UK and in the box included this video that was uploaded to youtube of an animated k. rool talking about the ballot HIMSELF, and during this time he was talking about how 'anyone' could make it in, and a weird dream of his came up of nintendo choosing one random ballot ticket and the powder puff girls got confirmed and he started howling in fear lol! Then later in the end of the video his in-game gameplay was shown. I woke up and checked reddit, was dissapointed, went back to sleep. It was that realistic.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I always saw it as Bowser and Dedede being incompetent, bumbling villains, which Ganondorf is above.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Seriously, K. Rool would be perfect for another Trouble Kings event. He fits in perfectly with Bowser and Dedede.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I do believe of the top 20 most popular Ballot characters. K. Rool might be the only true heavyweight of the newcomers. Next would be Snake which I put him on the veteran list. Maybe Banjo-Kazooie could be a heavy guy, depending what scale they decide for him. And I kind want to count Ridley, but its hard for him to be accepted by Sakurai at this point; but you never know, he is still getting votes after all.
In most cases, the protagonists tend to be average-ish in terms of attributes. This is true even outside of video games - comics, anime, folklores - presumably to help the the audience identify with the character better.

Snake and Ike are the only heavyweights who originated as protagonists, although they aren't really heavyweights in their own series. We need more protagonists like this guy....
[collapse=Made by our very own Game Freak.]

[/collapse]

:231:

Top Bottom