• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I honestly feel like sending in any additional support for K. Rool is completely pointless. Sakurai's mind has been made up on the character one way or the other.

The costume is definitely a result of the ballot support. If he's decided that it will act as a precursor to a character shortly, then that's already the case.

Conversely, if Sakurai has decided that he's going to be a costume and nothing more, then no amount of votes in the next 8 weeks will change his mind on that.

I'll probably get flamed at for this, but our best hope for a Donkey Kong newcomer right now is if K. Rool fans start pulling for Dixie on the ballot.
Honestly, I don't want just a Donkey Kong newcomer, I want King K. Rool. I'm fine with Dixie but I'm not voting for her.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
here's why i despise shantae for the smash ballot. I respect every persons character request... but why all of the sudden shantae? Like I never played her game, I understand she was in the gameboy era, but why is it that she just becomes a highly requested character? Because she was first on the gameboy, people would have requested her back then. I never heard of her until this ballot. If people really did want her to be in the game, then why on earth didn't you request her when smash 4 was even announced? Why didn't you ask sakurai to put her in for brawl? why didn't you ask for her at all before this ballot? People have no problem asking for third party characters at all. Characters like Pac- man, Banjoe and kazooie and even rayman were requested third parties before this ballot. Then all of the sudden the ballot comes.. Its all "shantae, shovel knight" and all these characters i've never heard of til now. People have to really think about this whole ballot. Nintendo is giving us a choice on who we want and I think as a smash community, we should ask for characters that we've always wanted to see since melee and brawl... Like who were the many fighters you wanted to see when you were a kid? What if this was the last smash game ever? You got some new characters from todays world, but what about the old school characters that you grew up with as a child? DKC was a part of my time playing video games and i fell in love with king k rool. I've always wanted him in smash and it pisses me off that nintendo can't even add one of the most beloved and original villains for smash. I prefer Banjoe & Kazooie out of all third party characters right now because he feels like part of the family. He was a nintendo 64 classic and has that cartoon look of him. I prefer him than shantae or shovel knight. Heck, I think issac is more iconic than shantae even though i haven't played golden sun. Just, characters that hardcore nintendo fans have been asking for years deserve the spot of DLC, not these new generation of fighters. That can be saved for smash 5 ( if it happens ) hope i'm not the only one who thinks this.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Interesting. I wonder what game it is they were originally going to be in?
Supposedly it was a Battletoads revival, but I can't dare remember where I heard that, now, so take it with a pinch of salt. I'm sure it's not difficult to find some, these days. :laugh:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Sorry, it was a general question, rather than directed at yourself. I meant if Dixie got the costume.
Oker doker. So I'm still the K Rool fan. Well it'd suck for Dixie fans just like it did for us. I still wouldn't think it would deconfirm Dixie. Then again, I think Ridley being a stage boss doesn't deconfirm him fully (at least he has a better chance then some random third party).

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't want just a Donkey Kong newcomer, I want King K. Rool. I'm fine with Dixie but I'm not voting for her.
Eh. I want both.

I'm surprised that anyone who wants K. Rool enough to frequent his thread wouldn't want Dixie enough to vote for her but whatevs.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
I honestly feel like sending in any additional support for K. Rool is completely pointless. Sakurai's mind has been made up on the character one way or the other.

The costume is definitely a result of the ballot support. If he's decided that it will act as a precursor to a character shortly, then that's already the case.

Conversely, if Sakurai has decided that he's going to be a costume and nothing more, then no amount of votes in the next 8 weeks will change his mind on that.

I'll probably get flamed at for this, but our best hope for a Donkey Kong newcomer right now is if K. Rool fans start pulling for Dixie on the ballot.
I get what you're saying, but we can't abandon ship already. We have made it this far, and I'm not giving up or losing hope. Call me krazy or stupid all you want, but I'm not backing down. If you want to give up, be my guest. A real supporter wouldn't give up so easily.

This character has brought all of us together for the same goal: to put him in smash. This is one of the first times I have truly felt like part of a community. This goal of putting the king in smash has snowballed into this, so why stop there? I am not going to see this become the next Ridley support thread. Again, go ahead and give up on K. Rool, but I'm staying.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I get what you're saying, but we can't abandon ship already. We have made it this far, and I'm not giving up or losing hope. Call me krazy or stupid all you want, but I'm not backing down. If you want to give up, be my guest. A real supporter wouldn't give up so easily.

This character has brought all of us together for the same goal: to put him in smash. This is one of the first times I have truly felt like part of a community. This goal of putting the king in smash has snowballed into this, so why stop there? I am not going to see this become the next Ridley support thread. Again, go ahead and give up on K. Rool, but I'm staying.
By next Ridley thread, do you mean a thread flooded by haters?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I love K. Rool. Deeply. He genuinely means a lot to me. Which is why I've taken the "he's deconfirmed" route. I got really pissed off when that Mii Fighter costume was shown, and I don't want to put myself through that again.

But regardless. The circumstances around K. Rool right now means that there is absolutely nothing more that his fans can do for this game. His fate is decided.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Supposedly it was a Battletoads revival, but I can't dare remember where I heard that, now, so take it with a pinch of salt. I'm sure it's not difficult to find some, these days. :laugh:
It was stated by Kevin Bayliss, a Rareware employee who worked on both franchises as an artist/designer.

He's also the voice of K. Rool in all three Country games and DK64.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Basically, however you want to see it I guess
Characteristic of K.Rool thread :
-Supports a great villain
-Supports a character from under represented franchise
-Supports a big character
-Supports a iconic and popular choice
-Host of a great an sympathetic community

Characteristic of Ridley thread :
-Frequently attack by haters

So flooded by haters would indeed make this thread the next Ridley thread.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman

If he was ever deconfirmed, then we would get a ton of haters saying we were doomed from the start. But hey, I could be wrong.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Metroid isn't under represented. It's a series about 1 person fighting giant monsters. To make up for this, they put in a 2nd version of that 1 character. It doesn't have the amount of viable reps that a series like DK has.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
If he was ever deconfirmed, then we would get a ton of haters saying we were doomed from the start. But hey, I could be wrong.
No, you're right. Haters just wait for a moment like that to try to feed themselve over our despair to full the emptiness inside them.
Metroid isn't under represented. It's a series about 1 person fighting giant monsters.
DK isn't under represented. It's a series about ape looking for banana in a jungle. #sarcasm
To make up for this, they put in a 2nd version of that 1 character. It doesn't have the amount of viable reps that a series like DK has.
Only two time the same character when an iconic and highly requested villain his waiting, adding to this the fact that every stage is about lava our acid when there is so much more option, isn't what I call well represented.

However, I agree that DK is more neglicted than Metroid.

But we support the king here, so lets not change subject.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm going to keep supporting and getting people to vote for K. Rool, regardless of whether a verdict has been reached. If Sakurai has truly written him off way before the ballot has ended, I want him to lose credibility among fans and within Nintendo for doing so by making his final tally even bigger, and by putting even more great ideas in Nintendo's hands. Call it petty, I don't care, if this is his final verdict on my favorite villain, I'm done with his series and want to send a message on my way out. If a verdict hasn't been reached, of course, those naturally work in K. Rool's favor. What's more, the bigger the final tally, the better the odds are of the character being put into future DK games...he may already be in one in development, but more votes equals more appearances, as opposed to one appearance before a return to one-off villains.

A character as relevant and as planned for Brawl as Dixie will surely show up in Smash eventually, after all.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Just got back from playing on Anther's ladder; I was challenged by a Roy player who wasted little time informing me King K. Rool "would be trash in this game lol". Evidently they recognised my tag from here.
I hope you wrecked him more so i hope you wrecked him with a Heavyweight.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Nah, Pichu is way more requested:troll:
I was thinking more along the lines that the poor intern chained to his desk and 3DS finally got the Ice Climbers to work. But that's just me.

Anyway, if you guys didn't hear, my personal four DLC guesses are King K, Wolf, Shantae, and Chibi Robo.

I know the former two might not be as popular as say Isaac, but that's me trying to pick at Sakurai's brain.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I was thinking more along the lines that the poor intern chained to his desk and 3DS finally got the Ice Climbers to work. But that's just me.

Anyway, if you guys didn't hear, my personal four DLC guesses are King K, Wolf, Shantae, and Chibi Robo.

I know the former two might not be as popular as say Isaac, but that's me trying to pick at Sakurai's brain.
Just saying, I expect Chibi Robo as much as I expected Ryu before the leak.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
here's why i despise shantae for the smash ballot. I respect every persons character request... but why all of the sudden shantae? Like I never played her game, I understand she was in the gameboy era, but why is it that she just becomes a highly requested character? Because she was first on the gameboy, people would have requested her back then. I never heard of her until this ballot. If people really did want her to be in the game, then why on earth didn't you request her when smash 4 was even announced? Why didn't you ask sakurai to put her in for brawl? why didn't you ask for her at all before this ballot? People have no problem asking for third party characters at all. Characters like Pac- man, Banjoe and kazooie and even rayman were requested third parties before this ballot. Then all of the sudden the ballot comes.. Its all "shantae, shovel knight" and all these characters i've never heard of til now. People have to really think about this whole ballot. Nintendo is giving us a choice on who we want and I think as a smash community, we should ask for characters that we've always wanted to see since melee and brawl... Like who were the many fighters you wanted to see when you were a kid? What if this was the last smash game ever? You got some new characters from todays world, but what about the old school characters that you grew up with as a child? DKC was a part of my time playing video games and i fell in love with king k rool. I've always wanted him in smash and it pisses me off that nintendo can't even add one of the most beloved and original villains for smash. I prefer Banjoe & Kazooie out of all third party characters right now because he feels like part of the family. He was a nintendo 64 classic and has that cartoon look of him. I prefer him than shantae or shovel knight. Heck, I think issac is more iconic than shantae even though i haven't played golden sun. Just, characters that hardcore nintendo fans have been asking for years deserve the spot of DLC, not these new generation of fighters. That can be saved for smash 5 ( if it happens ) hope i'm not the only one who thinks this.
Its simple these 3 character were the most requested 1st party characters and only one made it in and he Mewtwo didnt even make it in the vanilla game its not the fans its Sakurai

Do you have any idea how stupid that is?
Issac gets removed from being a Assist trophy and not promoted to playable either.

And yes like the other guy i have never played a golden sun game either.

Is there a way to view that megapoll ''Shorty'' had before Sm4sh was released.

Meanwhile we were the true villians because those 3 names were getting shoved dowm everyones throats but ofc they are not complaining now since none of them got in...only Mew2 and that was for DLC.

e560cb2057fe.png

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Eh. I want both.

I'm surprised that anyone who wants K. Rool enough to frequent his thread wouldn't want Dixie enough to vote for her but whatevs.
I want both as well, but honestly I think voting any further at this point won't really do anything. I agreed with your entire statement except for the last line.

I fully agree, I don't think voting any further will do any good. At this point he's probably already made up his mind. Including about Dixie Kong. I honestly feel like all ballot characters have already been decided on by this point, and they plan to release one character in time for the ballot, with more to come later. The rest of the time on the ballot is just for a few last-minute stragglers to come in later on, and wouldn't really influence the ballot results so heavily regardless.

And frankly, I'm currently sitting in the position of "he's more likely in than he's not." I don't think the only hope for a DK newcomer is Dixie.

I'd definitely like both characters in, but I don't feel like voting anymore. I just want it to end at this point. Maybe, maybe if I get ambitious enough I'll throw a vote Dixie's way. But I don't like the notion of "Oh K. Rool most likely isn't in so let's all jump on board Dixie."

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
For future reference, DidYouKnowGaming is not a valid source of information, as it revolves around user submissions. One person once claimed that K. Rool was originally planned for CBFD, and pointed to DYKG as his source. So take anything you see there with about a truckload of salt.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
He's also just speculating though.

Also, I really don't remember anyone ever taking the "if a character has a trophy then they can't be DLC" seriously because that would have ruled out every single plausible non-3rd Party character.

And the Toon Link thing was even dumber, anyone with any intelligence on the subject knows that the ST Link is a different character to the Wind Waker Link.
Hindsight is 20/20

Both of those were considered to be facts by many people. The Toon Link thing in particular is identical to the "Other M Ridley is completely different then regular Ridley" argument that was used time and time again. With your logic I could claim that anyone who thought Ridley was disconfirmed lacked any intelligence whatsoever on the subject, and look how that turned out.

Eh. I want both.

Just shooting in the dark here, but I'd guess it's because people like K. Rool as a character, and want him in because they like him, not because they want another DK representative. (Though for many that's part of the reason) I personally want K. Rool and realllllly don't want Dixie, but again, that boils down to personal preferences.

Top Bottom