• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
As promised earlier, a more detailed version of my moveset. This includes damage percentages and frames on a couple tilts to give a more coherent understanding of the playstyle, but I can't claim to have explored it for the majority of moves. Also throwing in a couple of other things I've seen; the only one I can remember to credit is @ Wintropy Wintropy as I've stolen a version of their controllable crown.

Also, I am still a big fan of having a cannonball you can pick up and throw, but having that and both a spiked cannonball on one move seems overkill to me. So I fixed it by having the cannon just shoot spiked cannonballs as traps, and the cannonball dropped from the skies being a smooth one you can pick up. Twice the trapping utility, but not excessive clutter on one move.

Specials:

:GCB: - Blunderbuss Cannon (DKC2).

Hold B to charge the cannon, increasing damage and distance. This fires a spiked cannonball which remains on the ground for 10 seconds as a trap.

:GCB::GCR: - Crown Toss (DKC1).

King K Rool throws his crown. Whilst the special button is held, K Rool can guide the crown like a PK Thunder projectile; but is left gawking, defenseless. When the button is released, the crown continues in the direction it was last moving. The crown has a maximum distance, and is shattered if attacked.

:GCB::GCD: - Cannonball Drop (DKC1).

King K Rool drops a cannonball beneath him. Can be picked up and thrown as an item.

:GCB::GCU: - Kopter (DKC3). K Rool's Kopter activates, allowing him to fly to the stage. This move has similar horizontal recovery to DK with somewhat better vertical recovery, but only has a hit box with the blades and no super armour.

Neutrals:

:GCA:- Kombo (DK64)

Does a quick 2 hit jab combo with his boxing gloves. These deal 2% and 4% damage respectively, and the move comes out on frame 2. This is a very fast move to deal with opponents who get close. Like most of K Rool's tilts, it has decent base knockback but terrible growth; these will consistently give him a little breathing room, but won't KO until quite late.

:GCA: - Dash Attack - Headbutt (Tropical Freeze).

Performs a running crown headbutt. Hey, if Frederick can steal our moves...

:GCA::GCR: - Glove Boomerang (DK64)

K. Rool punches forward, dealing 7% damage. His glove also flies off the end of his hand, hitting opponents weakly for 1% damage. This is an 8% tilt if hit point blank, with decent knockback; picture Bowser's F-Tilt but slightly faster but weaker. otherwise, the glove makes a safe longer ranged poke. Also, this move can be angled.

:GCA::GCR: - Glove Toss (DK64)

Exactly the same as his forward tilt, but directly upwards.

Thus the above two moves allow K Rool to throw a boxing glove in 7/8 directions around him, giving decent cover (and he can drop cannonballs below). Simon Belmont fans will appreciate this.

Aerials:

:GCA: - Karousel (King Of Swing)

Spins in midair for a reasonably quick but weak aerial with a stronger crown sweetspot.

:GCA::GCR: - Klaw Swipe (Barrel Blast)

Slashes with his claw. See Bowsers forward air; faster but weaker.

:GCA::GCR: - Blunderbuss Jet (DKC2)

Fires his blunderbuss behind him, propelling him forward. See ROB's Back Air.

:GCA::GCU: - Cannon Blast (New)

Fires an explosion from his cannon upwards, propelling him downwards into immediate fast fall. Disjointedness makes it a very powerful anti-air, and it's safe against airdodges because it pushes K Rool away.

The above two moves give K Rool decent momentum cancelling capabilities, increasing his survivability somewhat.

:GCA::GCD: - Belly Flop (DKL)

Sticks out his gut downwards. Acts as a sex kick, though with a very weak spike at the very beginning of the move, where he thrusts his gut out. Very fast, combo breaking aerial.

Smashes:

:GCCR: - Leap Attack (DKC1)

Performs a leaping body slam. Has massive end-lag, though this is avoided if K Rool uses the move to leap off the stage. Can also be used out of a Dash (Using A+B input).

:GCCD:- Ground Pound (DK64)

Slams the ground, causing shockwaves to ripple across the ground. There is a hitbox on the body as he slams the ground; this comes out quickly and punishes rolls well. Then, shockwaves are generated. Quite a bit of end-lag which is difficult to punish on the ground due to shockwaves but very vulnerable to aerials.

:GCCU: - Uppercut (DK64)

K Rool crouches whilst charging before unleashing a devastating uppercut with an invincible boxing glove.

I've mentioned it before, but I really like the idea of K Rool being an anti-metagame character to some extent and having difficulty more with heavy characters. I've tried to achieve this aim in a couple of ways. Firstly, his cannonballs are heavy items, with heavier characters able to abuse them against him back more strongly. Secondly, as a character he has a couple of good combo breaking moves, and so characters who can consistently deal more damage in single hits fare better against him. Thirdly, his crown can't be used to gimp the super armour or invincible recoveries most heavies have.

On a final note I very deliberately put a couple of his moves at 1%. Bowser needs some love from somewhere.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
As promised earlier, a more detailed version of my moveset. This includes damage percentages and frames on a couple tilts to give a more coherent understanding of the playstyle, but I can't claim to have explored it for the majority of moves. Also throwing in a couple of other things I've seen; the only one I can remember to credit is @ Wintropy Wintropy as I've stolen a version of their controllable crown.

Also, I am still a big fan of having a cannonball you can pick up and throw, but having that and both a spiked cannonball on one move seems overkill to me. So I fixed it by having the cannon just shoot spiked cannonballs as traps, and the cannonball dropped from the skies being a smooth one you can pick up. Twice the trapping utility, but not excessive clutter on one move.

Specials:

Hold B to charge the cannon, increasing damage and distance. This fires a spiked cannonball which remains on the ground for 10 seconds as a trap.

King K Rool throws his crown. Whilst the special button is held, K Rool can guide the crown like a PK Thunder projectile; but is left gawking, defenseless. When the button is released, the crown continues in the direction it was last moving. The crown has a maximum distance, and is shattered if attacked.

King K Rool drops a cannonball beneath him. Can be picked up and thrown as an item.

:GCB::GCU: - Kopter (DKC3). K Rool's Kopter activates, allowing him to fly to the stage. This move has similar horizontal recovery to DK with somewhat better vertical recovery, but only has a hit box with the blades and no super armour.

Neutrals:

Does a quick 2 hit jab combo with his boxing gloves. These deal 2% and 4% damage respectively, and the move comes out on frame 2. This is a very fast move to deal with opponents who get close. Like most of K Rool's tilts, it has decent base knockback but terrible growth; these will consistently give him a little breathing room, but won't KO until quite late.

K. Rool punches forward, dealing 7% damage. His glove also flies off the end of his hand, hitting opponents weakly for 1% damage. This is an 8% tilt if hit point blank, with decent knockback; picture Bowser's F-Tilt but slightly faster but weaker. otherwise, the glove makes a safe longer ranged poke. Also, this move can be angled.

Thus the above two moves allow K Rool to throw a boxing glove in 7/8 directions around him, giving decent cover (and he can drop cannonballs below). Simon Belmont fans will appreciate this.

Aerials:

Spins in midair for a reasonably quick but weak aerial with a stronger crown sweetspot.

Fires an explosion from his cannon upwards, propelling him downwards into immediate fast fall. Disjointedness makes it a very powerful anti-air, and it's safe against airdodges because it pushes K Rool away.

The above two moves give K Rool decent momentum cancelling capabilities, increasing his survivability somewhat.

Sticks out his gut downwards. Acts as a sex kick, though with a very weak spike at the very beginning of the move, where he thrusts his gut out. Very fast, combo breaking aerial.

Smashes:

Performs a leaping body slam. Has massive end-lag, though this is avoided if K Rool uses the move to leap off the stage. Can also be used out of a Dash (Using A+B input).

Slams the ground, causing shockwaves to ripple across the ground. There is a hitbox on the body as he slams the ground; this comes out quickly and punishes rolls well. Then, shockwaves are generated. Quite a bit of end-lag which is difficult to punish on the ground due to shockwaves but very vulnerable to aerials.

K Rool crouches whilst charging before unleashing a devastating uppercut with an invincible boxing glove.

I've mentioned it before, but I really like the idea of K Rool being an anti-metagame character to some extent and having difficulty more with heavy characters. I've tried to achieve this aim in a couple of ways. Firstly, his cannonballs are heavy items, with heavier characters able to abuse them against him back more strongly. Secondly, as a character he has a couple of good combo breaking moves, and so characters who can consistently deal more damage in single hits fare better against him. Thirdly, his crown can't be used to gimp the super armour or invincible recoveries most heavies have.

On a final note I very deliberately put a couple of his moves at 1%. Bowser needs some love from somewhere.
I laughed when I read the dash attack.

I'm happy that my work is of some use to you. As the fellow says, "All theater moveset creation is collaboration"~ ;3

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
You know what probably would have raised hype for K.Rool? A normal Kremling costume instead of a K.Rool costume! Then the trailer could have K.Rool leading a battalion of Kremlings to fight DK and Diddy!

Bananija

Count of Trickery

Specials:

Neutrals:

Aerials:

Smashes:

Interesting concept. I like the idea of an anti-meta character. Great moveset overall!

Yeah, this is my sort of expectation. Obviously other heavies should still be getting buffs as well. If it were down to me, I'd make Dedede's Gordos much harder to reflect (like 10%)and give Bowser much stronger general armour so lighter opponents have to commit more to make him budge. Having a couple of characters like this who are inherently more advantaged against light characters and weak to heavies who can still exploit them would go a long way to balancing whilst keeping the heavies fundamentally balanced relative to themselves.

I will redo my moveset with more technical details later on to give more of an idea of what I hope for.
Why aren't you the one that direct balance patches?!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You know what probably would have raised hype for K.Rool? A normal Kremling costume instead of a K.Rool costume! Then the trailer could have K.Rool leading a battalion of Kremlings to fight DK and Diddy!
That would've been a dead giveaway, though. A K. Rool costume will make a lot of people think he won't happen considering how trigger-happy the Smash community is. I think from a marketing perspective, almost EVERYONE (barring the K. Rool fans themselves) thought K. Rool was guaranteed. Shedding some doubt on the whole situation would make his ultimate reveal that much greater.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Specials:

Neutrals:

Aerials:

Smashes:

Sounds good to me but i think he should have atleast 1 move that has super armour pretty much all heavies.
Also his spike should be strong.

StormC

Smash Hero
What I want to know is, does the krown count as an extension of his hurtbox?

I would say it doesn't, due to the fact that it could very easily clip through the platforms on Battlefield (which would make him a ridiculously easy target on that stage) and krown toss is a favourite move concept (which would reduce the size of his hurtbox when used).
No, it shouldn't. It'd give him a really disproportionate hurtbox and make him too tall in general.

Can somebody please do a side-by-side of Ridley from Super Metroid, paired with K. Rool and DK from DKC1?
Well, there's this:

EDIT: Ridley's issue has always been proportions, not height. This wouldn't affect K. Rool.

Last edited:

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Well, there's this:

EDIT: Ridley's issue has always been proportions, not height. This wouldn't affect K. Rool.
The only proportion I could see being odd is his neck, but I'm sure that if a guy can make a 20 year old cameo a full on character in smash, I think he could figure out how to adjust the proportions without it looking to odd. On a K.Rool related topic, WTF! That there is a large sprite!

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Dedede is perfect.

Let's not deviate too much into other Nintendo villains in this thread. If K. Rool is in DKCR3, do you guys see him dressing up again or being in his King form?
King form... it would bring so much hype in a nostalgic way... but that does depend on the theme of the game. He better have a DKC 1-3 look though!

Last edited:

BigJuicyMeatball

Smash Apprentice
Dedede is perfect.

Let's not deviate too much into other Nintendo villains in this thread. If K. Rool is in DKCR3, do you guys see him dressing up again or being in his King form?
Im goin' to be serious for once. I would love him to dress up like one of the kings who lifed hundrets of years ago. That would be neat. Or maybe a bellydance thing...

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Or maybe a bellydance thing...
I'm now picturing a bunch of Dedede's dancing around Shantae like some sort of sacrificial ritual and Shantae's like "WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING"

Thank you for the good laugh. :dr^_^:

BigJuicyMeatball

Smash Apprentice
I'm now picturing a bunch of Dedede's dancing around Shantae like some sort of sacrificial ritual and Shantae's like "WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING"

Thank you for the good laugh. :dr^_^:
Making people smile makes me moist. Thank you for your contribution.
I literally had to laugh tears after you just wrote that stuff xD

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
It talked about the core fans of something whining about stuff. i.e Fates' My Room feature. Nobody likes Smash Tour but you Sakurai!
Everyday, nobody really speaks up about it in fear that Sakurai will send kirby to devour them...

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I've been meaning to post in this thread since 2014 but never got around to. I always thought having K.Rool in Smash would be Kool, but never thought he was that likely until the Ballot where his chances sky rocketed, i still think his chances are good even after the Mii Fighter costume.
The only DKC character that would be better than K.Rool would be Bluster Kong with his final smash being

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I've been meaning to post in this thread since 2014 but never got around to. I always thought having K.Rool in Smash would be Kool, but never thought he was that likely until the Ballot where his chances sky rocketed, i still think his chances are good even after the Mii Fighter costume.
The only DKC character that would be better than K.Rool would be Bluster Kong with his final smash being
Better late than never. Welcome aboard! Bluster4smash

TheGalaxyKnight

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IRNStudios
Me after seeing this: WTF, WTF, WTF, Okay, What the actual WTF!(edit: rinse, repeat)

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I dont want to live again after seeing this for the 1st time

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

...Somebody has to have proposed this as our new theme song in light of the Costume Debate. Right?
Well, there's different contexts. K. Rool's finest hour is for his grand return, One of Us is for when people join the ever-growing ranks of the Kremling Kutthroats. No One's Going to Make a Monkey Out of Me... DEFINITELY fits the context of the Mii Fighter costume. Someone needs to tweet that.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Well, there's different contexts. K. Rool's finest hour is for his grand return, One of Us is for when people join the ever-growing ranks of the Kremling Kutthroats. No One's Going to Make a Monkey Out of Me... DEFINITELY fits the context of the Mii Fighter costume. Someone needs to tweet that.
If it's ever going to happen, I think that the Diddy drop rap would fit well if famous Diddy's main let him down for K.Rool.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Sounds good to me but i think he should have atleast 1 move that has super armour pretty much all heavies.
Also his spike should be strong.
Then add super armour to one of the smashes. I don't think it's necessary though and didn't feel like throwing it on just for the sake of it.

As for a strong spike... not if it's going to be a quick combo move. You want a strong spike, you need to fundamentally rework the way the move works.

Top Bottom