• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bowser Jr. is zone/trap-based heavy with lower KO power, so we already have that archetype

I was thinking that a unique gimmick for K. Rool could be having slow-moving projectiles that stay on-screen for awhile, but D3's gordos already do that

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Bowser Jr. is zone/trap-based heavy with lower KO power, so we already have that archetype

I was thinking that a unique gimmick for K. Rool could be having slow-moving projectiles that stay on-screen for awhile, but D3's gordos already do that
Bowser Jr. is trap based? That is news to me. We need a character that can literally set up a trap. King K. Rool should get his lightning nodes (DKC3), place 1 at a time, and if they are close enough, they connect with electricity. Bowser Jr. does have the cannonball for ranged and that weird robot that he sends after you, but meh, I wouldn't consider him anything close to a trap character..

If Sakurai uses his creativity, we will be fine. Sometimes his ways of thinking/ideas remind me of the Japanese fan-base. They give up quite easily when it comes to character inclusions like Toad. Sakurai needs to channel his creative thinking if King K. Rool is going to happen. Without that, I can say that we for sure are NOT getting the character WE (in this thread) want more than any other.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Who says 2 characters can't have the same archetype? As lang as it's done different enough

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Howdy k rool fans!! :D I'm here to inform you that I'm planning on making a 1st party Smash Ballot Comic on miiverse and k roll will be the main villian! ^^ his objective in the comic is to capture all smash ballot candidates so that he can take everyone's invitations and be taken by the master hand to join smash xD

Also, I see a lot concern about him being "deconfirmed" because of his costume. I feel like that's impossible and he will be the 1st or among the 1st newcomers to join from the ballot. xD I mean he's number 1 on every poll and has the best reason to join over anybody xD I say not to worry about the costume and keep krockin' B) ( I bought the costume by the way xD)
I would love to work on the story with you :D

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

You could also argue ROB to some extent is, but they can still be differentiated quite strongly.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Yeah, I want a new fighter to have a projectile but I guess Samus already has that.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bowser Jr. is trap based? That is news to me. We need a character that can literally set up a trap. King K. Rool should get his lightning nodes (DKC3), place 1 at a time, and if they are close enough, they connect with electricity. Bowser Jr. does have the cannonball for ranged and that weird robot that he sends after you, but meh, I wouldn't consider him anything close to a trap character..

If Sakurai uses his creativity, we will be fine. Sometimes his ways of thinking/ideas remind me of the Japanese fan-base. They give up quite easily when it comes to character inclusions like Toad. Sakurai needs to channel his creative thinking if King K. Rool is going to happen. Without that, I can say that we for sure are NOT getting the character WE (in this thread) want more than any other.

The mechakoopa is basically a moving trap. His whole playstyle revolves around zoning you with his disjoints, kart mixups and using the mechakoopa for frametraps

I don't think Jr. is the reason K. Rool won't be DLC. I'm just pointing out that the playstyle people are hypothesisng for K. Rool isn't entirely unique

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The mechakoopa is basically a moving trap. His whole playstyle revolves around zoning you with his disjoints, kart mixups and using the mechakoopa for frametraps

I don't think Jr. is the reason K. Rool won't be DLC. I'm just pointing out that the playstyle people are hypothesisng for K. Rool isn't entirely unique
As long as the character has different moves they can have the same playstyle though. We have how many rushdown characters again?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm sorry, but I don't understand. All of these guys are video game characters. There's no similarity to the Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man rejection with any of them.

If you mean the voicing thing, that's an IP-management thing, at least for the Pokemon characters.

If K.Rool gets added, I'm going to buy his amiibo and make him fight my Dk amiibo!
What nickname will you give the Figure Player AI?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm sorry, but I don't understand. All of these guys are video game characters. There's no similarity to the Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man rejection with any of them.

If you mean the voicing thing, that's an IP-management thing, at least for the Pokemon characters.
Not to mention Marth literally had no other voice then. ****, the same should be argued for Sonic, Jason Griffith first did his voice in Sonic X

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
:4bowserjr:,:4link:, :4samus: and :4rob: aren't super heavyweights though. They're just middle-heavies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not to mention Marth literally had no other voice then. ****, the same should be argued for Sonic, Jason Griffith first did his voice in Sonic X
And Meta Knight's Japanese voice. As well as the nod to his sword being "Galaxia".

.....though to be fair, Sakurai was part of the anime's production.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
Going back a bit to the discussion of size, that's a big reason why I don't want K. Rool to be taller than Ganondorf or wider than Bowser. Characters that size are already combo fodder and making them even bigger is just going to make it worse. I'd rather have K. Rool seem a little too small compared to DK and Bowser than just sit there and get wailed on by rushdown characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Going back a bit to the discussion of size, that's a big reason why I don't want K. Rool to be taller than Ganondorf or wider than Bowser. Characters that size are already combo fodder and making them even bigger is just going to make it worse. I'd rather have K. Rool seem a little too small than just sit there and get wailed on by rushdown characters.
I could be wrong from what I can remember, but K. Rool's "size" compared to Bowser in Super Sluggers may be what you're looking for.

StormC

Smash Hero
I could be wrong from what I can remember, but K. Rool's "size" compared to Bowser in Super Sluggers may be what you're looking for.
Bowser is already downsized in Smash compared to Mario games, is the problem. DK is actually taller than Bowser standing on two feet in Smash, and K. Rool would be the same. The best you can hope for is that K. Rool has a solid head over DK when both are in their normal idle positions.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Could work since DK is hunched over. I honestly would want K.Rool to be about Bowser's height. Ganon should stay tallest (unless they surprise us with someone bigger). K.Rool could probably be around D3's width easily.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Oh look, it's Koopaul
This year's poster boy for lame ideas :drshrug:

That video.. what did I watch?

That was for brawl though, now it is someone different (I forgot his name).

RIP: Jason Griffith for Sonic's Voice Actor. You were too slow.

Going back a bit to the discussion of size, that's a big reason why I don't want K. Rool to be taller than Ganondorf or wider than Bowser. Characters that size are already combo fodder and making them even bigger is just going to make it worse. I'd rather have K. Rool seem a little too small compared to DK and Bowser than just sit there and get wailed on by rushdown characters.
I understand what you mean. While I don't mind if he is either one, I do prefer him being taller than DK and mabye Bowser. If the king had a projectile based moveset like most people assume, this wouldn't be the biggest problem. No one likes their favorite heavy weight to be combo food, but it is like that for any heavy weight.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
People often point to the 101% secret ending of DK64 as a good size for K. Rool.
Seem good? Well, it isn't. You have to take into account that DK is standing on two legs. In Smash, it would be something like this:

Which is way too big considering DK is almost the size of Bowser. But if you limit K. Rool to Bowser/Ganondorf height, he looks a bit silly compared to DK.

Is it just me or did DK's size increase from Brawl? In any case, I do think K. Rool will be about this size if he gets in. Though of course, I think the design team can do some tricks to make him seem more imposing next to DK.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That video.. what did I watch?

That was for brawl though, now it is someone different (I forgot his name).

RIP: Jason Griffith for Sonic's Voice Actor. You were too slow.

I understand what you mean. While I don't mind if he is either one, I do prefer him being taller than DK and mabye Bowser. If the king had a projectile based moveset like most people assume, this wouldn't be the biggest problem. No one likes their favorite heavy weight to be combo food, but it is like that for any heavy weight.
They changed Sonic because Sonic had a new VA since Colours

StormC

Smash Hero
Which is way too big considering DK is almost the size of Bowser. But if you limit K. Rool to Bowser/Ganondorf height, he looks a bit silly compared to DK.

Is it just me or did DK's size increase from Brawl? In any case, I do think K. Rool will be about this size if he gets in. Though of course, I think the design team can do some tricks to make him seem more imposing next to DK.
If they have his belly facing the camera like Bowser I think he'll be fine. DK and K. Rool have rarely shared space in 3D games so I don't think it's the end of the world if it looks slightly off. He still dwarfs Diddy if nothing else.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
People often point to the 101% secret ending of DK64 as a good size for K. Rool.
Seem good? Well, it isn't. You have to take into account that DK is standing on two legs. In Smash, it would be something like this:

That's a really good comparison. I won't deny it, but I didn't actually know that was from the ending. Still, Mario Super Sluggers is not the worst way to size him.

I might be late to the party when it comes to alternate costume ideas but heres what I think (if anyone cared). In this, I discussed this with the thought in mind that he may have a move using the crown, whether the krown toss or something else:

In terms of if Sakurai would actually put them in the game or not, idk. When it comes to if they would work out, i have my thoughts. I think we would get palette swaps like usual, @CyberWolfJV TheGuy07 did great ones. If any alternate costumes from the DK games can work, King Krusha K. Rool works and his mario super sluggers outfit can work. To me, these work out because he still has the krown. What about Kaptain and Baron outfits? Those are the hardest to decide since they don't have the krown. Those can work if you find a way, but that is up to sakurai.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just to say that Palutena's model is roughly equal to Pit's.

You can tell immediately that she's naturally taller and the proportions, despite sharing the same art style, are totally different.

It wouldn't be unprecedented for K. Rool to be a bit "wonky" if he's scaled to match up to DK.

In effect, you never really make the distinction, so I think it's fair go.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
K. Rool could be the biggest character in the game if added (within reason). His scale changes from game to game so as long as he's got a notable size he'd be fine. But in DK64 he's probably 10 times the size of DK, so making him the tallest character would be fine..

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Off topic: I never really played the original 3 DKC games(only returns so far), but I like the idea of a recurring villain in the series rather than RS trying to come up with new villains to separate themselves from rare. In fact, I never realized it until now, but I now see that a game I have been wanting to make is inspired a lot from DKC 1-3. Not to the point where it is a carbon copy, but just enough to feel like a fresh new game. On topic: what if sakurai makes K.Rool a very slow, powerful, low range attacker? Do we rage?
I love those chars but how strong though?
He is obviously not gonna be as strong as Ganon or Bowser.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If you look at the original sprites for size reference, basically the only one who is out of scale in Smash would be DK himself. He's horribly undersized in the original sprites.

This second image would be how I it would look in Smash with DK resized.

This is just approximates but it looks perfectly fine to me.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Im pretty sure DK size did increase he is massive in this game.
Hmm...i have thought about this also..thats why i think his weight would be the same or just below DDD.
When it should be Same or abit heavier than DK.

@ TheAnvil TheAnvil hmm..Kaptain is smaller than original K.Rool
His arms are smaller but his hands are massive lol i think Kaptain would be the way to go it is probly for the best i think he would most probly be a better character too if he was based of Kaptain but DKC1 K.Rool can work aswell.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Im pretty sure DK size did increase he is massive in this game.
Hmm...i have thought about this also..thats why i think his weight would be the same or just below DDD.
When it should be Same or abit heavier than DK.

@ TheAnvil TheAnvil hmm..Kaptain is smaller than original K.Rool
His arms are smaller but his hands are massive lol i think Kaptain would be the say to go it is probly for the best i think he would most probly be a better character too if he was based of Kaptain but DKC1 K.Rool can work aswell.
Yeah I always found it weird that he was smaller in DKC2. I put them both there to show that his scale fluctuates in every single game.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to go with Kaptain over King for his standard costume though.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think the angle K. Rool is facing would alleviate a lot of the concerns.
For me, the ideal solution would be to shrink DK (gasp) a little bit. I wonder if people would welcome that change and if it would ever actually happen.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Just you wait, guys. Soon enough, detractors will start using the argument that DK won't be re-sized and therefore it deconfirms King K. Rool. ;)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What I want to know is, does the krown count as an extension of his hurtbox?

I would say it doesn't, due to the fact that it could very easily clip through the platforms on Battlefield (which would make him a ridiculously easy target on that stage) and krown toss is a favourite move concept (which would reduce the size of his hurtbox when used).

Last edited:
Top Bottom