• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
New member. Just wanted to stop by and say I'm in full support of what you guys are doing here! Hopefully the King will be DLC or at least a shoo in for the next game if he's too big. The Kroc definltey deserves to be in Smash and I think a lot can be done with him.
Welcome, new Kutthroat!

StormC

Smash Hero
I miss the days when "DK newcomer" and Mewtwo were seen as shoo-in's for the base roster.
I honestly never expected Mewtwo to come back and I'm still not sure why everyone else was. Competition for Pokemon slots was always tight and I didn't think a character being actively removed did wonders for his chances.

Dixie not being in the base game on the other hand was a complete and total shock.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Well then
*throws Bomberman in a fire*
Good bye :drsad:
Don't throw him in yet. While he isn't as iconic as say pac-man or mario, bomberman is pretty iconic. I personally would love to see him and he does have a large history with nintendo platforms. Sadly I don't see it happening anytime soon as he is not that requested anymore. If anyone wants to disagree, go ahead. I'd love to hear your opinions.:)

But lets try to keep things on K. Rool and not about who is worthy for smash like @ BKupa666 BKupa666 said before.

cothero

Smash Lord
Neither are. They're both indie characters who have no chance.

Third parties have to be a major icon to get in or have lots of history to get in. That's how I see it anyway.
I totally agree. Why would Nintendo bother including some minor indie third-party character in the game? Also, i haven't see any iconic third-party character besides Banjo (Rare, will never happen) in the polls.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
My opinion on Goku is that I don't think his chances of not getting in are astronomically high as people say he is. Considering DBZ is coming back into the fold recently, and Bandai Namco makes a ton of DBZ games, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility if Bandai Namco starts the conversation and wants to put Goku into Smash. They would have gotten all that crazy licensing in order if they were even going to ask that question, a similar thing to what I believe went on with Microsoft when Phil Spencer put Banjo Kazooie on the table. Now whether or not Nintendo execs would accept that is a completely different case.

Now if it were Nintendo trying to reach out and get Goku, that's 100% impossible.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
My opinion on Goku is that I don't think his chances of not getting in are astronomically high as people say he is. Considering DBZ is coming back into the fold recently, and Bandai Namco makes a ton of DBZ games, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility if Bandai Namco starts the conversation and wants to put Goku into Smash. They would have gotten all that crazy licensing in order if they were even going to ask that question, a similar thing to what I believe went on with Microsoft when Phil Spencer put Banjo Kazooie on the table. Now whether or not Nintendo execs would accept that is a completely different case.

Now if it were Nintendo trying to reach out and get Goku, that's 100% impossible.
Discuss this in the Character discussion thread bro. This is the thread for King K. Rool. Also, I need to point this out, Bandai Namco doesn't own Goku, they cannot put him in Smash Bros. They would have to ask his creator. Also the fact that Sakurai seems to be against putting non video game characters in Smash Bros. Hell, he laughed Goku off in an interview.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Bruh, DA OWNER IS RIGHT HERE!
Precisely. ;)

Also the fact that Sakurai seems to be against putting non video game characters in Smash Bros. Hell, he laughed Goku off in an interview.
And he didn't use the Ghostly Adventures design for Pac-Man most likely because it was created for a television show, too.

Alas, that's one of the many reasons that K. Rool would be very unlikely to be voiced by Benedict Campbell in Smash. :c

Last edited:

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
I'm sitting here gradually beginning to dread the fact they could decide not to use the Rare K. Rool model, for whatever reason.

These PAON renders/tributes are okay - it is his most recent incarnation, and it's reflected through some trophies of him - but having seen the beauty of the effort put in to the Mii costume... I just need that to be the reference point they use.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I know i'm in the minority but I think I prefer the paon design. All he needs is a tail and it's perfect IMO. It fits more in line with recent Nintendo character models...IMO.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Whilst I never liked DKC3's soundtrack quite as much as DKC1's and 2's, I absolutely agree. The GBA soundtrack just doesn't fit the game or its atmosphere, for me.
While many of the tracks in the GBA version are lackluster in comparison to the SNES titles, I will give it to the GBA version on these two song which I thought were improvements over the original DKC3.

Honestly one of David Wise's best songs in my opinion and atmospheric as hell! Really could use a David Wise remix on a more powerful system.
This one isn't bad it just seems really unfitting to me.

Love the sounds used in this song and is my second fav in the game.
Again, not a bad song in general but nowhere near as epic or fitting as this one was as it sounds more like a jungle/forest level.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think the Paon design looks to much like a Mario character. Even the Smashified mockup, while great, still has this problem. I like the zaniness / goofiness of the original that still somehow manages to be intimidating. Update it? Sure. But I hope -- and I'm confident after the Mii costume -- that they will base his design off the Rare works. After all, they are the games that made him famous.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I prefer the Rare design overall, but that said, I think that K. Rool's legs look a whole lot less awkward in the Paon one. His movement often looked a little strange to me in the Rare titles.

EDIT: Really, though, the Mii costume actually addresses this issue. If they make that one change whilst keeping the rest of the Rare look (but with the Paon gem, which is clearly better), I'd be fine with that.

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Whatever one works with the Smash 4 artstyle better is fine by me. Which is probably the Rare one given a lot of detail on Bowser.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I like the PAON's proportions and more expressive face. I also like the brighter colors much better and the less pronounced eye.

In fact, I like everything in the PAON design over the Rare design...yet if I were to pick the two personally I would pick the Rare one. Why?

PAON'S MISSIN A FRIGGIN TAIL

I have no idea why the PAON design and the TV show portray K. Rool without a tail. It makes him look like an ugly frog or something. Seriously, give me the PAON design with a friggin' tail, and I'm sold. At this point, I will take ANY rendition of K. Rool.

As long as it has a tail.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
@ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 - The Paon design probably lacks a tail because it seems to have been hugely influenced by the TV show's design in and of itself. It doesn't explain why that was the case in the TV show, though... :laugh:

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
I really wouldn't mind either way. Though I am partially biased to the Rare design, as I rarely ever saw the PAON design, like... ever.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I still like the cold evil look on the Rare design better, I still say he was still very expressive when he was in action as well, plus the long snout makes it obvious that he's a crocodile and I love the bloodshot eye as well. PAON's just looks too generic to me. Well, I'm confident he'll have the Rare design if he is in the game based on the mii costume.

I kinda miss Bowser's evil look from the n64 days but he basically still looks the same nonetheless so I'm good there.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I will go on the record and state I despise the clawless hands.

They just look so damn weird on a reptile, a crocodile no less. Other than that, I am pretty fine with the Rare design, but I'd need to see it in action in a modern game, because my mind can't comprehend eyes or jaws like that having any expression. I hope to be enlightened by K. Rool's fully playable character in Smash.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think the Paon design looks to much like a Mario character. Even the Smashified mockup, while great, still has this problem. I like the zaniness / goofiness of the original that still somehow manages to be intimidating. Update it? Sure. But I hope -- and I'm confident after the Mii costume -- that they will base his design off the Rare works. After all, they are the games that made him famous.
I agree that the Rare design looked more menacing and intimidating. But I also don't think looking like a Mario character is such a bad thing either...IMO the paon face allows the character to e more expressive, the legs are less stubby, the claws (while DK64 did have them) make more sense. The gold armor I can do without honestly but no tail was a dumb design choice. Part of me wonders why K.Rool hasn't been used as much lately cause the design is never consistent. Stupid reasoning I know but besides his old costume gimmick, in the DKC trilogy he had no claws, then in DK64 he had 4 toes but in every other game he had 3 and claws, then in King of swing/jungle climber he didn't have a tail and no golden armor. Not to mention the classic Nintendo trope of villians being different sizes every game. In DKC and DK64 he towers over DK. Yet in DKC2 and Super Sluggers he's not that much bigger than DK. Yet in Jungle Climber K.Rool has the power to manipulate his size.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
@ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 - The Paon design probably lacks a tail because it seems to have been hugely influenced by the TV show's design in and of itself. It doesn't explain why that was the case in the TV show, though... :laugh:
It is weird how the paon misses the tail, I wonder if they actually got inspiration from the show.

Warning: Bad Joke Incoming

I guess they didn't "expand" their knowledge of K. Rool.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I will go on the record and state I despise the clawless hands.

They just look so damn weird on a reptile, a crocodile no less. Other than that, I am pretty fine with the Rare design, but I'd need to see it in action in a modern game, because my mind can't comprehend eyes or jaws like that having any expression. I hope to be enlightened by K. Rool's fully playable character in Smash.
On the contrary, he did have claws in dk64.

Enlightened you shall be.

StormC

Smash Hero
It is weird how the paon misses the tail, I wonder if they actually got inspiration from the show.
The show was hugely popular in Japan so it wouldn't surprise me in the least. (In fact, a large amount of Japanese K. Rool support probably comes from the TV show.)

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
On the contrary, he did have claws in dk64.

Enlightened you shall be.
I forgot about that fact. I also forgot about the fact K. Rool had 4 toes in that game too.

This guy changes design almost as much as Godzilla does. Forget a new outfit every game, he has different physiology every game.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I forgot about that fact. I also forgot about the fact K. Rool had 4 toes in that game too.

This guy changes design almost as much as Godzilla does. Forget a new outfit every game, he has different physiology every game.
It becomes more prominent when you look at his Baron persona, when it looks like he's somehow grown half of Frankenstein's monster on his head. Big image
Then again, it could be just a wig, given that the headband is conveniently above his eyes.

I'll also disclose that I'm trying my hand at a K.Rool moveset too. It's sort of an amalgamation of what I've read and seen suggested here, so it might not be as original as my Inkling Moveset concept...

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Hey did anyone mention this? If K. Rool has his crown throw as a move, he can't have Kaptain K. Rool as an alt because he doesn't wear a crown.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Then again, it could be just a wig, given that the headband is conveniently above his eyes.
That's the impression that I always got, and is the reason why I find the notion of a Baron K. Roolenstein alt combined with having the Crown Throw in his moveset a terrifying idea, since it would look like he's tearing off half of his head and throwing it at people. :laugh:

EDIT:

Hey did anyone mention this? If K. Rool has his crown throw as a move, he can't have Kaptain K. Rool as an alt because he doesn't wear a crown.
He could feasibly throw his hat, though. As I said above, the real problem/terror comes from the Baron outfit!

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Oh look, it's Koopaul
This year's poster boy for lame ideas :drshrug:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Perhaps Krown Toss just becomes "Hat" Toss? Maybe take some sharp wind whirly effects used on some moves to place around the hat in question, giving it a uniform oval hitbox?

StormC

Smash Hero
I always thought they would change the animation so he just throws a crown out of thin air.

Also pretty sure Baron's hair is a wig.

Top Bottom