• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Premise-wise, "too big" and "relevance" are actually quite similar as arguments. They hinge on 'traditional size' and 'relevance' being black-or-white tangible qualities a character either possesses or lacks, in spite of exactly how blurred the lines can become and how much evidence exists contrary to their necessity. "Too big" is just more of a meme because of how stylish it is among imbeciles to troll Ridley in comparison to K. Rool.

D

Deleted member

DDoS bots cannot withstand King K. Rool's girth.

As celebration for a successful relaunch (and with no data loss, no less), here's some kickass K. Rool fan art.
Seriously kick*** art there. Would be hilarious to see the King in a soccer game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Premise-wise, "too big" and "relevance" are actually quite similar as arguments. They hinge on 'traditional size' and 'relevance' being black-or-white tangible qualities a character either possesses or lacks, in spite of exactly how blurred the lines can become and how much evidence exists contrary to their necessity. "Too big" is just more of a meme because of how stylish it is among imbeciles to troll Ridley in comparison to K. Rool.

It's an interesting little blend of ignorance and perceived "factual" information. People rely on tradition far too much in some cases. Ugh. Honestly, I can't even find a hint of tradition among Smash's history, apart from having a Battlefield stage (and presumably a Final Destination stage, but then that's me making the same exact error with that assumption.) that isn't contradicted by some piece of evidence down the line.

-Sakurai said no Villager because they can't fight. -> Villager in SSB4
-Luigi is always an unlockable, hidden character. -> Revealed prior to SSB4 launch, unlockable status now unknown.

I mean, I guess the underlying lesson here is that things change. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.

As for "K. Rool is too big" people. Are you ****ing kidding me?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK64 K.Rool is best K.Rool.

Outside of Kaptain K.Rool, of coarse.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Someone brought up the possibility of K. Rool's various weapons making him too disjointed a character in another thread, and I'd like to see what you all think. Personally, I think focus on one or two weapons would be completely fine, considering each one lends him multiple attacks.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I also would be fine with one or two weapons. His blunderbuss and crown are pretty much required to accurately represent the character, and I'd be fine if those were the only weapons he uses. I imagine him being a more tactical, indirect fighter than other heavyweights. At the same time, I don't imagine him being a very gimmicky, prop-heavy character either. I think he'd meet at a nice balance midway between disjointed moves and direct attacks.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
With the way K. Rool fights in any single game, I never felt he'd be too disjointed. Might be the case if they implemented his weapons/attacks from all the various games, but that's just a might. Way I see it though, the more of his weapons he's given for moves, the more versatile he'll be as a fighter. Maybe the person in the other thread thinks he'd be too unique or something? lol

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The case that this guy made was that K. Rool's individuals weapons are custom-made to fit with his identity in each new game (blunderbuss for a pirate, jetpack for a scientist), but because they'd be given to his default King identity in Smash, the end product would be a character without any clearly defined identity. The twist there is that it's in-character for K. Rool to have an identity crisis, but it's a fair enough case that he has enough potential that trying to cram it all into one moveset might feel a bit off. You don't see Mario using every single power-up he's ever used, for example, just a select few that represent him as a whole.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
As you said, it's only in character for K. Rool to have an identity crisis. Having big king crocodile pull out a big blunderbuss or fly through the air with a jetpack also adds to his unpredictability and surprise factors. Mario isn't a character who can simply do that, he's a bit more in balance as a character, K. Rool can easily break those bounds because of how his character is.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Mario has the Cape from Super Mario World and F.L.U.D.D. from Sunshine. What exactly is the issue here?

Alternatively make ALL THE K. ROOLS PLAYABLE

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with IsmaR here. Also, Mario's got transformation powers, but K. Rool's individual weapons are tied to the entire character, provided that the character is the single representation of K. Rool from that game.

Mario, on the other hand, is always still just Mario, and can usually pick up multiple power-ups a game. I feel like if we're gonna accurately represent K. Rool in Smash, he's got to have something from all three of them. If not Krusha and others too. It fits his character so well. I'm just gonna trust Sakurai on this one, to not make it too....wonky.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Someone brought up the possibility of K. Rool's various weapons making him too disjointed a character in another thread, and I'd like to see what you all think. Personally, I think focus on one or two weapons would be completely fine, considering each one lends him multiple attacks.

Why's that? Is anyone complaining about Marth or Link being too disjointed of a character? The Falchion and Master Sword likely will be far longer than K.Rool's blunderbuss anyway. Provided he'd even use it to whack opponents with. Projectiles for a heavy weight is a good idea. Crown Throw or Blunderbuss Canon Balls wouldn't be the fastest projectiles around anyway. Or spamable.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Why's that? Is anyone complaining about Marth or Link being too disjointed of a character? The Falchion and Master Sword likely will be far longer than K.Rool's blunderbuss anyway. Provided he'd even use it to whack opponents with. Projectiles for a heavy weight is a good idea. Crown Throw or Blunderbuss Canon Balls wouldn't be the fastest projectiles around anyway. Or spamable.
Not disjointed as in hitboxes, but as his weaponry wouldn't all fit his King costume. Which is a bit silly really, as long as it's a big fat alligator who's king and krool he should be able to have all of his weapons.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wouldn't expect too much weaponary on K.Rool anyway. Likely his specials, maybe one Smash attack? That'd be it. Nothing major. His A attacks and Aerials would mostly be something... regular.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wouldn't expect too much weaponary on K.Rool anyway. Likely his specials, maybe one Smash attack? That'd be it. Nothing major. His A attacks and Aerials would mostly be something... regular.
Yeah, his weaponry would make great specials, but keep it at that. Let the king deliver some hard punches otherwise.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I still support K. Rool more then Dixie Kong after Tropical Freeze.
You're not alone; a lot of people seem to feel the same way, but feel Dixie is more likely for one or both of two reasons, those being Tropical Freeze and her status as a cut Diddy supplement. At the very least, Dixie doesn't seem to be gaining more support due to Tropical Freeze, although that's largely a product of us having seen ten seconds of trailer footage featuring her, and that new appearances by already-liked characters tend to validate their popularity, not add to it substantially (see: Toad).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
K.Rool still holds most of his popularity. But I really don't wanna make a choice between the two. Both are easily Top 5 best newcomers for Smash. I'm still hoping for K.Rool and Dixie to both make it, but it seems like that's dependant on the ammount of Mario characters. A Mario newcomer would make me feel more confident.

I'll be content with either character though. Wouldn't complain about Dixie, and it makes K.Rool only likelier for the next game to. Especially if he where to re-appear in say, DKC : Kremlings Return? Not ruling him out yet we're not Ridley after all but all will depend on when they show DKC-related updates. If Diddy where to be revealed on a stage as Gangplank Galleon, I'll probably start stocking some rum, cause that would hint on the King's appearance.

Also, this is going on now:

http://smashboards.com/threads/game...r-virtue-day-2-king-k-rool-little-mac.340308/

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
K. Rool was sort of a pirate in the first game, since he came to DK's island with a ship and raided them, but nothing like in DKC2. His Blunderbuss could work nicely as his Neutral or Side special, and his crown attack could be a special attack as well. Maybe his Jetpack could be his recovery? What else could he use for a recovery?

Also, they could include some information about his identities in his trophy. And perhaps his other outfits (like his Kaptain K. Rool outfit) could be palette swaps?

Then again, I recall someone mentioning that in another region, Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein aren't actually his disguises, but rather his brothers. Is this true?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There are no K.Rool brothers, he's one and the same person every time.

Also, this is the main reason K.Rool was a pirate:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Then again, I recall someone mentioning that in another region, Kaptain K. Rool and Baron K. Roolenstein aren't actually his disguises, but rather his brothers. Is this true?
That was actually a mistake in King K. Rool's trophy description in Brawl.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I know they made a mistake with Brawl's trophy description, but I could've sworn someone on the boards mentioned they are considered his brothers in another region...

D

Deleted member

That was actually a mistake in King K. Rool's trophy description in Brawl.
Not a mistake; localization error.
They ARE brothers in Japan. Whoever was in charge of localization in Brawl didn't change the information given to be relevant for outside Japan.

Just like Lyn's age.

D

Deleted member

I still have to ask, do you have a source, Golden?
There isn't a direct source available (unless anyone here knows the Japanese community and what their story on the K. Rool clan is), but I did some research, and the main source of where the concept came from was Nintendo Database.
HOWEVER, it was brought up by the owner of the forum that the brother thing was considered a mistake in all regions. So IDK.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Japanese isn't canon though. Rare is a Brittish game development company. They would make their games English before Japanese.

But besides that, DKC is anti-America propoganda at it's finest.

As for "K. Rool is too big" people. Are you ****ing kidding me?
People love to throw us in the same boat as Ridley fans. Only difference, we aren't delusional, neither is King K.Rool unlikely / becoming a stage hazard. So they like to throw us the same **** as Ridley just cause they cannot bear something awesome being on top of all want lists.

Also, look what I found when I Google image searched 'Ridley too big' :

D

Deleted member

Next DK stage: Planet Plantaen confirmed. :troll:

K. Rool is in the background as a giant just like in the final boss fight. :awesome:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
At least it allows a Xananab cameo to.

And at least Jungle Climber isn't the lastest game in the series, unlike Other M.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I honestly wouldn't mind a Planet Plantaen stage. I'd like if we got some stages not pulled from whatever the most recent games in every series are.

However, if it jeopardizes K. Rool's chances and makes him a stage cameo instead of playable, no sell.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A Gangplank Galleon stage however would nearly confirm K.Rool in an instant.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A Gangplank Galleon stage however would nearly confirm K.Rool in an instant.
Much like how Ridley and Chrom are confirmed, right?
"An enemy from Donkey Kong's past could appear any second."

K. Rool confirmed to be a stage hazard. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd send you Ridley supporters a bottle of rum if that happened.

And you'll never see me drunk posting, ever. asiflol

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There are more delusional things to think than that Ridley still has a chance to be playable at this point.

Speaking of the "DKC is anti-American propaganda" bit, Cracked recently covered the possibility in a new article of theirs. Not only did I enjoy seeing DKC get featured on a more mainstream site, the fact that it references K. Rool gives me additional comfort in saying he retains his role as the DK series villain in the public eye.

Gonna have to update the OP before too long, because it has been so long.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Really, the ani-American propaganda made me love DKC even more.

Also, I won't ever buy Chiquita bananas again because of that vid.

The Kongs are now freedom fighters. **** yeah.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I burst out laughing when I read that article about DKC being anti-America.

Like Diddy said, I love DKC even more now. :laugh:

Top Bottom