• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

D

Deleted member

Hey, let's cash in on Ridley's new spotlight!

If Ridley is either confirmed or disconfirmed over the next few days, what bearing do you think it will have on K. Rool?
I don't really think Ridley would be relevant to King K. Rool. The main arguments used against Ridley are different from the arguments used against King K. Rool. Plus if they were in, they would be high priority additions and wouldn't be competing against each other.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
"Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Gangplank Galleon from the Donkey Kong Country series! An enemy from Donkey Kong's past may appear at any second."

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm thinking of more abstract ways Ridley's inclusion or exclusion could affect K. Rool's prospects. The two that stick out to me are that Sakurai doesn't care about popularity if it conflicts with his preconceived notions of a character, as well as that, with one of the two fan favorite heavyweights disconfirmed, that the other one would be pretty damn likely, barring no new heavyweight, which is unprecedented.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
with one of the two fan favorite heavyweights disconfirmed, that the other one would be pretty damn likely, barring no new heavyweight, which is unprecedented.
Yeah, I was just about to come in here and post that as much as I don't want the K. Rool horde to gang up on us, Ridley being disconfirmed would heighten K. Rool's chances since he's pretty much one of the only choices for a new heavy weight, and it'd be extremely obscure to not include any new heavy weights.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Believe me, I'm not rooting against you guys. Ridley is pretty much the only other character who could convince me to buy a Wii U, its accessories, and a television for this game. If neither are in, I just won't bother.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey, let's cash in on Ridley's new spotlight!

If Ridley is either confirmed or disconfirmed over the next few days, what bearing do you think it will have on K. Rool?
If he's disconfirmed? Nothing much. DKC is, and always was a bigger series to Nintendo than Metroid. We could still easily get K.Rool. And it's not like Ridley will not get in the next Metroid game anyway you know?

If Ridley's confirmed, we can take it as positive news. Not only do we have more heavyweights and playable bosses, he's also a common and popular character choice on most people's rosters. And as said before, DKC > Metroid, so if there's Ridley, there's most likely a DKC newcomer. Wether it be Dixie or K.Rool is another question though.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I think that if Ridley gets in, at least we know Sakurai is listening to popularity. Which CAN have a huge effect on King K. Rool.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think that if Ridley gets in, at least we know Sakurai is listening to popularity. Which CAN have a huge effect on King K. Rool.
Wasn't Mega Man's confirmation enough to say that Sakurai takes popularity into account?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai has shown to listen to popularity ever since half the newcomers in Melee were apparently chosen due to popular demand (excluding the clones).

That said, Japanese popularity plays a hugely larger role than popularity from elsewhere. Which could be one of the reasons Ridley might be a hazard, but it shouldn't really affect K. Rool, his popularity is strong worldwide. And who knows, if we get Little Mac Sakurai might think the western fanbase has been appeased enough (he doesn't like including too many characters with largely localized popularity).

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Sakurai has shown to listen to popularity ever since half the newcomers in Melee were apparently chosen due to popular demand (excluding the clones).
Actually, almost all to all if you disclude the clones lol

Anyways it doesn't really affect K. Rool at all. Why did I expect this once I got into the thread?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Around half the newcomers in Melee and Brawl were popular choices the fans wanted.

King K. Rool is, apparently, the most wanted newcomer worldwide, boasting a massive fanbase in the east and west. The only other ones that share this feat are Mewtwo and Roy, but their status as newcomers is debatable.

As for Ridley, I think that if Ridley is deconfirmed, it will help out K. Rool because there's less popular characters for him to compete against. If he is confirmed, then it hurts K. Rool's chances because the remaining slots for popular characters get more competed for. I'm in no way thinking that we can only get one.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My perspective is that there exists a popularity threshold that, once a character has passed it, they're no longer in competition for anything; should they possess enough objectively advantageous factors, they're no longer characters that should be considered expendable on objective rosters. Mewtwo is in this category, as is Little Mac; I believe K. Rool is as well, though, like with any character, that will depend on who you ask. The Sakurai variable is an unknown that could affect any and all characters, so it's best to disregard it barring specific statements made about select characters.

I believe this to be the case with K. Rool in relation to Dixie at this point. Dixie has her solid chances, but she's not competing with K. Rool to be the Donkey Kong rep *gags*; that's a gross condensation of the characters into a minuscule package, disregarding other reasons they'd have to be playable. I'm sure K. Rool's are clear enough to anyone still reading this thread, and because of them, I think he's a highly likely character, independent of Dixie or anyone else, like Ridley. Even if he's passed over, I won't think those reasons will have been wrong, just outweighed by the goddamn Sakurai variable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Peach and Bowser got in togheter. Dr.Mario was later added as well.
Zelda / Sheik got in togheter, and later Ganondorf and Young Link to.
MetaKnight and King Dedede got in togheter to in Brawl.
Mewtwo and Pichu where added togheter in Melee. Pokémon Trainer and Lucario in Brawl.

I see NO REASON not to have both K.Rool and Dixie,

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Peach and Bowser got in togheter. Dr.Mario was later added as well.
Zelda / Sheik got in togheter, and later Ganondorf and Young Link to.
MetaKnight and King Dedede got in togheter to in Brawl.
Mewtwo and Pichu where added togheter in Melee. Pokémon Trainer and Lucario in Brawl.

I see NO REASON not to have both K.Rool and Dixie,
Probably because we're getting less newcomers this time than we did in either Brawl or Melee. Every pick has to count, so it'd be an odd move putting in 2 DK reps. Note: Odd, but not impossible.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It hasn't been 100% confirmed yet we'll see less newcomers. But it's likely that that is true what you say though.

But series 'reps' have never been fair anyway. Mario getting 3 newcomers in Melee, Zelda getting 4. DKC got 0 in Melee, hence the need for Dixie and K.Rool now. It's not all too difficult really.

It only gets difficult if people are expecting another 2~3 newcomers for series as Mario, Zelda or Pokémon.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It hasn't been 100% confirmed yet we'll see less newcomers. But it's likely that that is true what you say though.

But series 'reps' have never been fair anyway. Mario getting 3 newcomers in Melee, Zelda getting 4. DKC got 0 in Melee, hence the need for Dixie and K.Rool now. It's not all too difficult really.

It only gets difficult if people are expecting another 2~3 newcomers for series as Mario, Zelda or Pokémon.
Melee's roster was very imbalanced in general though, mostly because of the last minute clones. DKC definitely deserves another two characters though, don't get me wrong on that, but if we really are getting less newcomers this time around, which is pretty much guaranteed since they're trying to make all 35 characters from Brawl at the same time as the newcomers, then it's maybe best to throw in new series as the majority of newcomers. Again, I'd like to see both, but 3 reps for DKC isn't too bad in any way either.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be honest, I'd be content with 3 to. Even if the 3rd character is Dixie.

Before, it was quite common ground to support 2 newcomers for DKC, and even Fire Emblem. Now, people aren't nearly as confident. Wonder what happened with the attitude of people?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be honest, I'd be content with 3 to. Even if the 3rd character is Dixie.

Before, it was quite common ground to support 2 newcomers for DKC, and even Fire Emblem. Now, people aren't nearly as confident. Wonder what happened with the attitude of people?
Brawl hit them with a reality check. :rolleyes:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess so. Maybe it's also because Sakurai is setting a limit of some sort and keeps reminding everyone that he can't just put over 50 characters or something. So people are trying to be more careful I guess in order to avoid another major disappointment.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I was reading the PAX Prime software line-up and misread A World of Keflings as A World of Kremlings. Rest assured my heart skipped a beat.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Yeah, I don't see why we can't have both Dixie and K. Rool. Both are certainly more of All-Stars than B-listers like Bowser Jr., Chrom and Toon Zelda.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, I don't see why we can't have both Dixie and K. Rool. Both are certainly more of All-Stars than B-listers like Bowser Jr., Chrom and Toon Zelda.
Stupid gut feelings that Donkey Kong isn't worth that much to Nintendo and is on par with Kirby and Star Fox?

From a standpoint of realism, the series getting only one newcomer is sensible enough, but for people to claim it just cannot support two or shouldn't get two out of not deserving it is another story.

Groose

Smash Champion
Stupid gut feelings that Donkey Kong isn't worth that much to Nintendo and is on par with Kirby and Star Fox?

From a standpoint of realism, the series getting only one newcomer is sensible enough, but for people to claim it just cannot support two or shouldn't get two out of not deserving it is another story.

No way! DK sells, and that's what matters. Well, part of what matters. It also has character to spare, and that can't hurt it!

Anyway, when I say one DK newcomer, it's from the standpoint of realism. There can only be so many newcomers. Still, the one who doesn't make it will become realistic for Smash 5.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
King K. Rool is definitely one of my most wanted newcomers. I fully support his inclusion, and would like to join the legion of Kutthroats.:bee:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
He's what I want to know

About Ridley and king k rool when people are saying only one can get in

Why not both wouldn't it be a dream battle Ridley vs bowser vs king k rool vs king dedede

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Truth to be told, I'm more looking forward to Mewtwo vs Ridley. I mean, two hyper intelligent, skinny yet INSANELY powerful overlords going at each other is the best scenario I can think of. For me, Ridley is more an awesome enemy than a character I really wanna play as.

I think K.Rool vs Bowser vs Ganondorf vs King Dedede is more awesome, cause they are all Kings, see.

Groose

Smash Champion
I just want to see King K. Rool getting owned by the Wii Fit Trainer. She's supposedly the heavyweight-slayer of this game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I want to see King K. Rool own the Wii Fit Trainer to get back at her for fat-shaming the other heavyweights.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Guys, his belly is made of solid freakin' gold, and you're saying Bowser would be heavier? That thing has to weigh way more than Bowser's shell.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess a green metal box for K. Rool would be a bit redundant then. His belly color should remain the same though when that item's effects are in use.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Guys, his belly is made of solid freakin' gold, and you're saying Bowser would be heavier? That thing has to weigh way more than Bowser's shell.
Well, if Sakurai's going by more recent appearances (a la Other M Samus), wouldn't that mean he wouldn't have the solid gold chest? He looks pretty flabby in the post-Rare games.

Though I do agree the solid gold look looks nicer.

Top Bottom