• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm 50/50 convinced of this right now... I really think we're getting a Direct Friday.
If not a full on Direct, at least one of those "New Content Coming" like with Roy, Lucas, Ryu, Dreamland 64, and all the Mii stuff.

Honestly, I don't know what to feel/think. I am upset at the idea that we would get him as as a Mii costume. But I am still very confused:

This character has not appeared since 2008, he has missed the last three main DK games (DKJB, DKCR, DKCTF), he is among the most popular characters for the ballot period, AND it is being released months before the ballot supposedly closes. That seems fishy.
Like I said, the only thing that makes sense to my 7:30am in the morning without sleep mind right now is that it's a clever lead in to the playable fighter K. Rool. There's also the possibility it will use his Kaptain persona, which is by far his most popular sans the King itself. Honestly, in hindsight I'm still shocked they used the Rare design when he's been using the PAON model for the trophy for the last two games.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One thing that struck me, that little description doesn't pull the same s*** that October press-release did, where it said "Fans have requested Ridley for many years, so here he is as a special boss!" It just offers a generic description of the character who's obviously only a costume because of the ballot, without mentioning the ballot.

I have no qualms about donning my tinfoil hat here. I'm not getting my hopes up at all, but the trolls were calling K. Rool fans delusional long before now, so why change anything based on fear of what they'll do anyway?

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm just about to send in a safety vote for our King -
Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 9.33.11 pm.png

I'll be heading off to bed soon, Kutthroats, but it isn't a good thing when two of my most wanted newcomers are being threatened by Miis, no? Let's stay fresh, Kutthroats, and push forwards towards a bright future! We can achieve our Finest Hour!!!

And man, Mayles-Senpai noticed me...! :crazy::love:

Last edited:

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
Another theory that i have been thinking of is that the popular characters in the game get mii costumes like said before Metaknight, megaman, peach and luigi equipment, so on and so forth, maybe since King K Rool was so popular from the ballot, Sakurai wanted fans to be able to play him as both a playable character and if they didnt like that moveset, as a mii as well(which I personally have only played as mii's when i had to to receive the trophies for them)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, if anything at least we know that if K. Rool somehow makes it in from here then he'll use his classic design, golden belly and everything.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I'm just about to send in a safety vote for our King -
View attachment 64617

I'll be heading off to bed soon, Kutthroats, but it isn't a good thing when two of my most wanted newcomers are being threatened by Miis, no? Let's stay fresh, Kutthroats, and push forwards towards a bright future! We can achieve our Finest Hour!!!
This is the sort of thing people should be sending in. Explicitly grateful for the recognition but also firmly requesting him as a playable fighter.

I also sincerely hope the whole Meta Knight comparison draws true (it is interesting timing) but it's not something I want to get too invested in.

After looking GameXplain's comment section, I really wish Sakurai was just trolling and K. Rool is in, just to allow us to laught to those gleeful detractors.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The best thing about this announcement is the fact that IT'S NOT THE PAON DESIGN. YESSSSSSSSSS

We can finally say goodbye to this monstrosity.

Here's hoping! I want to see a proper full Retro redesign of K. Rool that draws most inspiration from his original Rare design.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I saw someone on reddit mention this could be the Meta Knight reveal all over again.

Either way I'm rooting for you guys. Good luck.

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
Other than the POSSIBLE deconfirmation I do not see this as a very bad thing. He has been acknowledged by Nintendo after 7 years and this may be a taste of what is to come for Nintendo overall. While this is very heart breaking we got Nintendo to actually mention the existence of the king.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Well, there's three years of hoping, dreaming, and as of recently, voting down the drain. What a ****ing disgrace.
Let's hold out hope for the 31st for a Mewtwo style reveal, even a still image of what's to come is all we need.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
One thing that struck me, that little description doesn't pull the same s*** that October press-release did, where it said "Fans have requested Ridley for many years, so here he is as a special boss!" It just offers a generic description of the character who's obviously only a costume because of the ballot, without mentioning the ballot.

I have no qualms about donning my tinfoil hat here. I'm not getting my hopes up at all, but the trolls were calling K. Rool fans delusional long before now, so why change anything based on fear of what they'll do anyway?
As much as I'd love for this to be some Sakurai troll where he's going to reveal him later on, I just can't see it.

Sakurai has shown nothing but disinterest towards the entire DK franchise since practically the very beginning. At this point I'm not even going to say Dixie's chances are any better. Prepare yourself for even more generic sword users from niche franchises.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
People also need to stop trying to use Mega Man as an example of a character who has a Mii Fighter costume.

Megaman X, and Megaman EXE have Mii Fighter costumes. NOT Megaman.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I can't help but notice that Mii Fighter outfit's texture is very much like Bowser's model. That's also pretty good detail for a Mii Fighter which is usually on the lower end of the quality spectrum. Yet at the same time, the outfit appears warped in some places. What are the odds this is a texture rip?

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Were we expecting too much out of Sakurai?
Were we seriously expecting Sakurai to overcome his bias against the DK franchise?
I should've known something like this would've happened. DK deserves so much better. It's not even fair.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I wonder what some of the people pulling the "he was never that popular to begin with because forum polls are so misleading" think about surveys in general. It's one thing to suggest limitations of polls, it's another to discount the polling altogether. What's the alternative? Raising your hands in the air and pretending we know nothing of the world? That seems foolish. Evidence is almost never perfect or even great or good. That doesn't mean you pretend it doesn't exist or is so inaccurate that it is basically useless.

Sure, it's important to call out the limitations of polling methods and sampling. But the implication in these arguments is that there exists some other character that is ACTUALLY popular in the way K. Rool is perceived to be. Who would it be? And how would the same critique -- that forum polls overestimate the support -- not apply to this character? Unless you're supporting Princess Daisy or something, I find it extremely unreasonable to believe most characters are receiving any sort of attention by the portion of voters that forum polls do not capture.

I keep talking about this because I keep hearing this sentiment around the internet. Honestly? Just seems like some sort of cognitive bias (hindsight and confirmation) to try to make sense of the somewhat confusion addition of the K. Rool mii fighter.

Last edited:
Were we expecting too much out of Sakurai?
Were we seriously expecting Sakurai to overcome his bias against the DK franchise?
I should've known something like this would've happened. DK deserves so much better. It's not even fair.
Agreed.

Almost everybody thinks that DK should get more reps.
K. Rool is one of the most requested characters.
K. Rool's popularity has been recognised in media.
We get a Mii Costume based on him.

Something is wrong. Really, really wrong.

EDIT: Although I'm glad that K. Rool got something, but I won't be happy if this is the only thing we get. I don't even use Mii Fighters, and I don't really like them either.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I dunno, the biggest thing I got from this was being extremely glad the croc was acknowledged somehow after a long absence - sure, not the way we hoped, but it's something. We'll see how things turn out, interesting times!

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Are people seriously thinking this deco firms King K Rool? Lmao I'm not much of a Rool supporter, but it's stupid to think this completely eliminates him from being playable.

Sakurai hasn't said anything regarding King K Rool being playable. He has about characters like Ridley, Chrom, Ice Climbers, Villager, Mii's, Pacman, but not King K Rool.

The reptile still has a shot. People are just blowing this out of the water. UNtil Sakurai confirms he cannot make kimg k Rool playable, but for now he hasn't said that. King still has a huge shot.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
What's a disgrace is the way some people have reacted to this announcement.
It could end up being a Meta Knight situation where the Costume is unveiled and the character is later revealed.
That said, I've practically given up on K. Rool at this point. It doesn't help that it's being bundled with a Chrom Mii Costume.

Top Bottom