• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Every King K. Rool fan right now:

I didn't vote for King K. Rool myself but seeing him as a Mii outfit is disappointing. Hopefully this is just Sakurai trolling and teasing us and will eventually reveal King K. Rool as a playable character later. ;~;

Seeing that pic of the mii costume sure felt like a swift kick to the nuts...

Hope he still has a chance regardless of this. My brother said that maybe they're just trying to raise the popularity of K.Rool before they release him.

StormC

Smash Hero
This thread is turning into a ****show real fast, I'm going to bed before I lose my mind all over again.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It's a tough issue, but I think I'm going to have to agree with Kupa in that we should buy the costume. Sure, it might send a message of contentment, but it would at least show that we like the character enough to buy the darn thing. I've never bought a single Mii costume because of how frivolous they are, and I'm still not sure I'll buy this one. But if the thing doesn't sell, that would be even worse because it would suggest that the character is not marketable, and it may have connotations of ungratefulness. If it sells well, then at least they might see that the character really does have the support base we often accuse them of ignoring. At the very least, if it sells, then that might encourage them to put that recent trademark to use and include him in more Donkey Kong games (and then perhaps Smash in the future). Heck, it's even the Rare design, so maybe we can get Rool back in that appearance for a double whammy. Not being hopeful here, but we should weigh our actions carefully and think about these things.

tl;dr - If it doesn't sell, Nintendo will probably either think the character lacks a following, or think we're a bunch of brats who won't even take a slice when denied the whole loaf. If it does sell, they may think we're being complicit, but at least they'll know the character has a legitimate following, and may consider him for the future. It's better than spiting them and discouraging them from using the character, even if it's for something as low-investment as a costume.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The timing of this is way, way off. Either this is intended to be a curbstomp kick in the nuts to say they're not doing K. Rool, or its a massive troll.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Well I... I am at a loss of words.

Now, I by no means believe this disconfirms K. Rool. But... this is just...

... What the hell does this man expect us to say about this? Either this is some massive trolling, or perhaps the greatest slap to the face to one the more dedicated Smash sub-communities he could've ever delivered (he did so with Ridley, too). Regardless, I'd find it unreal he were to expect a positive feedback from it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Sure, it might send a message of contentment, but it would at least show that we like the character enough to buy the darn thing.
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

They know that huge amounts of people support the character because the entire reason they're making this K Rool skin is that he's a frontrunner in the polls, but Sakurai just doesn't want to make him. Character support is a moot point. It's done. The character is supported by the ballot. They know he's extremely popular and people like him from the landslides of people that voted for him to be A PLAYABLE CHARACTER ON THE ROSTER in the ballot. They know this. They have the numbers. That's it. Character supported powerfully, loud and clear.

By not buying it they see very clearly that overwhelming amounts of people support the character, but no-one supports this Mii Outfit horse****. That is the message that is sent if this K Rool outfit doesn't make a penny.

And please continue to make this point to EVERY SINGLE PERSON who thinks that "voting with your wallet" means buying this garbage so that we can have as few people as possible causing damage by supporting this.

Last edited:

Hebrew Hammer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2251-5154-5209
So for all those panicking like I am, just take this with a grain of salt for now. There are a ton of good things that can come from this. Mainly, buy the DLC and show your support for K Rool. When Nintendo see's the sales numbers for this costume pack they will know that the demand is there outside of just saying we want it. Companies want us to vote with out wallets as much as in a ballot. Also having K Rool be a costume isn't going to doom the character. Remember in the lead up to Smash 4 where there was that one pic of the day where the Mii had a Meta Knight mask on and then about a week or so later they reveal Meta Knight on the Smash 4 Dojo. This to me is a new version of that. Sakurai is slapping us in the face and making us think that all is lost only to extend us a hand off the floor shortly after with the enticement of a playable K Rool to get us up. Im not calling quits here. I've given up before when the game came out and if K Rool has the Ballot votes I know he has based on the size of this board, there is not way Sakurai can only offer us this. Just stay calm, wait for further information and have faith in Daddy Sakurai. He said the rest of the Smash DLC is gonna be fan service and unless he is a totally idiot, this isnt the last we will see of the king.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
oh, another thing that comes to mind:

I am pretty sure we'll get a statement from sakurai in the next days/weeks, because somebody from a magazine or something similar (famitsu column?) will ask about K.Rool. I am sure of it.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Would you guys rather have nobody buy the K. Rool costume and make Nintendo think nobody is interested in the character?

Stop being a baby.
Is the whole Smash Ballot not allready a clear evidence that people want KKR as a character? I mean what else can they do? Buying the Mii Costume can give Nintendo mostly the idea that people like to dress Miis as the characters rather to have the original character in the game.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Is it comparable, though? I know he was popular, but is there a fair number to judge him on? I think Sonic was definitely more requested than the King. I just want to know by how much.
For the sake of your sanity, you really don't want to be comparing that. Especially since we don't even have numbers for K. Rool that are statistically significant.

The best comparison is that he's equal to what Ridley was in Brawl in terms of fan requests, and even this is not officially confirmed. It's a safe assumption, but don't confuse assumption with facts; the good news is, that's still pretty dang significant, especially since it made Ridley brought up in practically everything post-release.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That's wrong.

They know that huge amounts of people support the character because the entire reason they're making this K Rool skin is that he's a frontrunner in the polls, but Sakurai just doesn't want to make him. Character support is a moot point. It's done. The character is supported by the ballot. They know he's extremely popular and people like him.

By not buying it they see very clearly that overwhelming amounts of people support the character, but no-one supports this Mii Outfit horse****. That is the message that is sent if this K Rool outfit doesn't make a penny.
I'm going to have to call you out on this one. Yes, they do know that the King is extremely popular. Who doesn't? Does that mean that they know he's the front runner if the ballot (if he is)? Maybe. But not necessarily. There's a reason why they are cutting the ballot off on a very specific date. I don't think they have numbers yet. They could, but I don't think they do. The message sent, if any, by not purchasing the costume is either, 1: the character isn't popular. Or 2: Mii Fighters aren't popular. Nintendo could take it either way. Them taking it as a sign that K. Rool fans are unhappy is slim. Perhaps they did add it to hold us over till the actual release, perhaps they didn't. Who knows? All we can do, as fans, is support K. Rool in whatever way we can. That includes buying the damned costume.
It's best not to respond to the easy baiting, people.
Amen.
I've gone over Ridley before, BKupa can probably restate my summary, but basically, Ridley is a literal ***** to program. At best, he would take the time of 1.5 newcomers. At best. If people want him in, bug the Project M team or make your own hack and then there's something to talk about (Not you directly)

sonic isn't even close; here's an idea of how requested he was. Ever heard of NSider? He was the most popular character in the poll they had. Ridley was second. It wasn't even close. He was purely in on Brawl because of fan demand (and this doesn't even include a slew of emails, among other things) - sonic fans are literally insanity

sonic was just my point that "Uh, whoever gets #1 on the ballot they're gonna try hard to do something, even if that name is Ridley."

K. Rool having issues? If we're talking technical, not really any I can think of. He might be tedious to make walking animations for, but which characters in Smash aren't, again? I think there will be questions on how to implement him, but I can't see them going "Well, we don't know how to do this, so yeah."

Of course, be prepared for at least one character popular on the polls to get shafted and get some excuse. I've been preparing for it.
Right I understand. Thanks for answering the comparison question. About K. Rool though. Do you, personally, think that this costume was an underestimate of K. Rool's popularity? That's my personal belief. I think Nintendo knows he's popular so they wanted to do SOMETHING but I don't think they know that he is so high up in the Smash Ballot.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I drew Kirby in Google Translate from Japanese to English.
It gave me a heart. ♡
The hard truth might be that K Rool wasn't winning the ballot.
Then the hard truth is a big fat liar ♡

ripa9

Smash Apprentice
The K Rool costume in my opinion has a certain charm to it.
I agree, it's surprisingly better than the artwork, I've been always thinking that if they'd add K. Rool in the game, it would be something much different.... and worse... but that costume is great. I'm still completely disappointed and I've been wanting for Nintendo to change the director already, these characters mean a lot to people, toying with us like this is just sick. (and I know Smash community also has those soulless, sadistic haters who don't understand it when a characters means something to another person, so you guys should just go away [you won't though]).

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Does that mean that they know he's the front runner (if he is)? Maybe. But not necessarily.
Absolutely necessarily. Do you not think that they have access to the poll numbers as it's being conducted? Do you not think that's precisely why K Rool was made into a skin in the first place out of no-where?

The message sent, if any, by not purchasing the costume is either, 1: the character isn't popular. Or 2: Mii Fighters aren't popular. Nintendo could take it either way.
That's absolutely wrong. They know that the character is popular because of the ballot.

That includes buying the damned costume.
No, I've explained why that is damaging already. If you buy the costume, that's it. It's done. There's your K Rool in Sm4sh. There's absolutely no incentive for them to try to make any more money off of K Rool's popularity if you buy up that costume. Please stop thinking in these overly simplistic terms.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Right I understand. Thanks for answering the comparison question. About K. Rool though. Do you, personally, think that this costume was an underestimate of K. Rool's popularity? That's my personal belief. I think Nintendo knows he's popular so they wanted to do SOMETHING but I don't think they know that he is so high up in the Smash Ballot.
Possible, but since the Smash Ballot isn't even over yet, I'm not sure if that's a healthy conclusion to jump to.

I've kinda wasted my time less with theories and just mingled with facts and "What you *can* do instead". For now, I just say if you're a fan of the character, listen to BKupa on this one. He's got a good head on his shoulder and has been running this for almost 1k pages. That's just mind-boggling on it's own.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

They know that huge amounts of people support the character because the entire reason they're making this K Rool skin is that he's a frontrunner in the polls, but Sakurai just doesn't want to make him. Character support is a moot point. It's done. The character is supported by the ballot. They know he's extremely popular and people like him from the landslides of people that voted for him to be A PLAYABLE CHARACTER ON THE ROSTER in the ballot. They know this. They have the numbers. That's it. Character supported powerfully, loud and clear.

I've thought about this, and I have these worries as well, which is why I think it's such a tough issue. However, this sort of thing happens in marketing all the time. It's not uncommon for people to clamor for a product or service en masse, and then not buy it; not out of moral protest, but simply because they weren't as passionate about the product as their vociferous petitioning would have suggested. Nintendo could see K. Rool fans as being just a vocal minority. Yes, they see the ballot votes. They see his supposed popularity, but if they release a K. Rool costume and see that no one's buying it, they can very easily come to the conclusion that the K. Rool fanbase is louder than it is large, which would hurt us in the long run, because let's face it: Nintendo is the master at delaying recognition of fan demand indefinitely, except in the very rare circumstances in which the demand becomes so strong that they're 100% convinced they can make a profit by catering to it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Woah! 49 user and 53 guest? Oh my god! I really hope that this thread won't finish like the Ridley Thread. When the update came out. Someone need to decompile the data for being sure if there isn't something like the Ryu/Roy leak in 1.0.6. But for King.K.Rool of course.

We won't know if buying the K. Rool oufit helps or hinders his chances. If people buy the oufit, they could assume that fans are happy with just the costume. If people don't buy the oufit, they could assume that K. Rool himself won't sell well either.

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
Woah! 49 user and 53 guest? Oh my god! I really hope that this thread won't finish like the Ridley Thread. When the update came out. Someone need to decompile the data for being sure if there isn't something like the Ryu/Roy leak in 1.0.6. But for King.K.Rool of course.
Totally! Seeing that the King is in the game would be so reliving!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
No, I've explained why that is damaging already. If you buy the costume, that's it. It's done. There's your K Rool in Sm4sh. There's absolutely no incentive for them to try to make any more money off of K Rool's popularity if you buy up that costume. Please stop thinking in these overly simplistic terms.
I would like to introduce you to Occam's Razor.

so unless @ BKupa666 BKupa666 tells you to do something illegal or something like that, if everyone could keep on track to your united reptilian leader, that would be great as i go crash in my bed hoping I get good sleep.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I've thought about this, and I have these worries as well, which is why I think it's such a tough issue. However, this sort of thing happens in marketing all the time. It's not uncommon for people to clamor for a product or service en masse, and then not buy it; not out of moral protest, but simply because they weren't as passionate about the product as their vociferous petitioning would have suggested. Nintendo could see K. Rool fans as being just a vocal minority. Yes, they see the ballot votes. They see his supposed popularity, but if they release a K. Rool costume and see that no one's buying it, they can very easily come to the conclusion that the K. Rool fanbase is louder than it is large, which would hurt us in the long run, because let's face it: Nintendo is the master at delaying recognition of fan demand indefinitely, except in the very rare circumstances in which the demand becomes so strong that they're 100% convinced they can make a profit by catering to it.
It comes down to risk vs reward.

If people buy the K Rool costume, it's guaranteed we'll never, ever see him in Sm4sh as his own character.

If people don't buy the costume, then yeah, he still may not get in, but it at least sends the message that Mii Fighter K Rool or any other character substituted as one is not acceptable and sicne they didn't get a monetary return on K Rool's popularity from the costume, they may try for one on him being an actual fighter.

The bottom line is that in the second scenario there remains incentive for Nintendo to make K Rool into his own character, and in the first there is absolutely none. One of them is money made, and the other is money to be made. Nintendo is a business, if they've got your dollar in their wallets it does not matter for what reason you gave it to them. However they do care about reasons why you are not giving them your dollar, because they want it, so that's a concern.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We won't know if buying the K. Rool oufit helps or hinders his chances. If people buy the oufit, they could assume that fans are happy with just the costume. If people don't buy the oufit, they could assume that K. Rool himself won't sell well either.
Exactly. That's why the best case scenario is for fans to buy the outfit, but continue demanding that the outfit isn't enough. At the very least, our ultimate goal has been realized: They are bringing back K. Rool. Even though he may not be truly playable, this isn't a BAD thing, its just not the best case scenario.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I would like to introduce you to Occam's Razor.
Good to know I guess.

so unless @ BKupa666 BKupa666 tells you to do something illegal or something like that, if everyone could keep on track to your united reptilian leader
That's cute but it's hurting everyone if one person is telling others to do something harmful to the population and we should be looking for the best possible response to this scenario.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This is why sending in new votes telling them otherwise is necessary. "We love this character and we'll buy his costume, but this is not what we want." There's no downside to that. There's a glaring downside to a boycott (and it poisons the rest of the fanbase against "those nasty K. Rool fans" moving forward, though to be fair, a certain number will hate our golden guts no matter what).

Really, though, this is the only chosen answer to all those K. Rool ballots? Something Sakurai and the team deliberated on and determined would be exactly what the fans ordered?

At this point, it feels like they maybe saw all those requests in K. Rool ballots for "give him his costumes" and interpreted that in a staggeringly wrong way.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Absolutely necessarily. Do you not think that they have access to the poll numbers as it's being conducted? Do you not think that's precisely why K Rool was made into a skin in the first place out of no-where?

That's absolutely wrong. They know that the character is popular because of the ballot.

Believe what you want. I'm not going to stop you.

I'd be baffled if they have numbers for the ballot yet. Can you imagine how many votes they get a day? A minute? A second? I know multiple people in this thread are guilty of voting multiple times. That's a huge undertaking to go through the ballot everyday and sort out the characters. It'd be much easier to wait until closure to gather the total votes for each character, so not to receive more votes during the process of counting. You have to remember the ballot is open 24/7. There is no downtime for the employees to sort through them before it opens back up. It's ongoing, at all times. Reminder that each ballot request also asks for your personal opinion on why the character should be added every time you vote. Employees HAVE to read those as well. Otherwise there would have been absolutely no point in asking for an opinion in the first place. Sure they might not go through the lower requested characters reasons, but for higher voted characters they will have to.

Listen to, and follow @ BKupa666 BKupa666 . He and @ Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa seem to know exactly what they're talking about.

Last edited:

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
I would actually like to bring up an honest question, how do people know that buying the costume puts the King in jeopardy? I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I'm just curious.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I wasn't a massive fan of K. Rool honestly, but that doesn't mean I don't feel for you guys. I understand why you guys liked the character, I just wasn't to connected to the Donkey Kong series as much as you guys. I'm just worried that the same fate will come to Bandana Waddle Dee tomorrow.

See you later, Smash Kremlings:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Good to know I guess.

That's cute but it's hurting everyone if one person is telling others to do something harmful to the population and we should be looking for the best possible response to this scenario.
Listen. We CAN NOT force them to bend down to our will. Nintendo's swimming in profits already and if we boycott them, they will boycott us. Not buying the Mii costume is a bad idea.

:231:

Pepperoni_Lives

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Piggins91
This is why sending in new votes telling them otherwise is necessary. "We love this character and we'll buy his costume, but this is not what we want." There's no downside to that. There's a glaring downside to a boycott (and it poisons the rest of the fanbase against "those nasty K. Rool fans" moving forward, though to be fair, a certain number will hate our golden guts no matter what).

Really, though, this is the only chosen answer to all those K. Rool ballots? Something Sakurai and the team deliberated on and determined would be exactly what the fans ordered?

At this point, it feels like they maybe saw all those requests in K. Rool ballots for "give him his costumes" and interpreted that in a staggeringly wrong way.
That last bit is terrifying.

Submitted another vote on K. Rool, just in case.

I won't probably buy the Mii oufit, though. But that is because I never use the Miis. I don't want to buy something that I might never use (especially if it's released at the same time with some characters, Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle and the leaked Dr. Mario stage).

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Good to know I guess.
Don't sweat it too much, chances are your life is pretty good.

I'm sure he can have an extended post later all the things to do and all the directions to go and why or something, and then you can go ahead and nitpick pieces at that and plan what next to do.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Listen to, and follo @ BKupa666 BKupa666 . He and @ Thirdkoopa Thirdkoopa seem to know exactly what they're talking about.
I've already explained in depth why they do not.

Now I'm actively trying to make sure people do not listen to these poorly reasoned kneejerk reactions that are being laid down and actually take a moment to reason on what is actually the best in this situation and what's going to help everyone vs what's going to harm everyone. So please for the love of God stop telling people to blindly listen to a couple people who haven't even thought the entire thing through fully.

As for numbers, if you understand the sheer mass of votes they are getting you must also understand that they are not going to devote a team to go through these votes one at a time counting, they will have an automated counting system which has been running since day one to keep up with the stats so they can examine them in real time. This is what marketing teams do. They gather data to analyze as they go using algorithms which are easily used in conjunction with polling systems. To think they're going to wait until all of the thousands and thousands of ballots are in on the final day of voting to then start counting them is absurd. The fact we're even getting a K Rool skin right now is evidence they have the numbers and know his popularity.

Employees HAVE to read those as well. Otherwise there would have been absolutely no point in asking for an opinion in the first place.
The point of these opinions were to have something to sample from in the inevitable marketing video, clips of fan requests to play on screen. That's it.

Top Bottom