• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
So...does "several more characters" while asking for patience mean the last two slots will just be from the ballot? I'm starting to worry.

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
So...does "several more characters" while asking for patience mean the last two slots will just be from the ballot? I'm starting to worry.
I don't see that why they should update this in the game propably 1 year before the ballot characters are finished.
That being said that i believe the mario slots are also pre ballot.
My Guess 6DLC pre ballot (Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Ryu, + Wolf and other veterans or scrapped characters) and 4-6 post ballot DLC characters (Maybe the top 3 serious ballot winners and 1-3 surprise characters that also were popular)

StormC

Smash Hero
Anyway, this is pretty much nothing but good news for us. Where are all those people saying "this isn't a popularity contest!!!" now?

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
If its fan service until the end, Way I see it we're going to start getting ballot picks, or at least ballot inspired characters, but there is no way they are going to wait until the end of the ballot. There is no reason to, there is a ton of input already, and nowhere did they say they would take the top pick, or wait until the end of the ballot. It's not a simple popularity contest, it is a contribution of thought and enthusiasm

Our King is definitely near the top of both creativity and demand, and will hopefully be one of the first picked(if any third parties do make it, they won't be the first to come out due to rights processing)

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I don't know about you guys, but at this point K Rool's pretty much a shoo in at this point.
I mean c'mon, "several characters" seems to at the minimum denote at least 3 characters, and I think K Rool can manage to scrape top 3 at the very least.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I don't know about you guys, but at this point K Rool's pretty much a shoo in at this point.
I mean c'mon, "several characters" seems to at the minimum denote at least 3 characters, and I think K Rool can manage to scrape top 3 at the very least.
Unless Sakurai actually hates the character or finds that it'll break his character to be playable. He doesn't but if he does, well, guess we'll be joining Ridley.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
If It's going to be fan service from now on idk who other than Wolf and K. Rool will be making it in. Only two that come to mind. I'm hoping to get Ice climbers back too.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Unless Sakurai actually hates the character or finds that it'll break his character to be playable. He doesn't but if he does, well, guess we'll be joining Ridley.
Yeah, I'll admit those two scenario will not bode well for the character if they happen. But I think that would be a bit unlikely.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Or Ridley could join K.Rool in Sm4sh...:grin:

Jokes aside, I'm not going to count chickens before they hatch. I'll save my celebrations until Sakurai announces that K.Rool is forthcoming.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't believe Sakurai hates DK. Nor do I think K Rool would be anywhere near broken.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Woah! Calm down. Bowser status is the most recognizable villain in video game history. K Rool isn't on that level. He's more around the Ganondorf level (most gamers know who he is).
You'd be surprised. Plus, the DKC tv show was slightly more memorable than the Zelda one which I think also helped popularize him more. 2 of my friends recognize Bowser and K. Rool immediately more than they do with Ganondorf or King Dedede. Though one could say it's because they never played a Zelda or Kirby game but they sure know who Link, Zelda, and Kirby are.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
You'd be surprised. Plus, the DKC tv show was slightly more memorable than the Zelda one which I think also helped popularize him more. 2 of my friends recognize Bowser and K. Rool immediately more than they do with Ganondorf or King Dedede. Though one could say it's because they never played a Zelda or Kirby game but they sure know who Link, Zelda, and Kirby are.
I'm not talking about their cartoons. Bowser is the most recognizable villain in video games. K Rool is on the level of Ganondorf since most gamers (not all) know who he is (the people who don't know are people who are too little to know or are not interested in Nintendo whatsoever). Dude, everyone knows who Link (although some people call him Zelda) and Kirby are. They are gaming mascots.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If It's going to be fan service from now on idk who other than Wolf and K. Rool will be making it in. Only two that come to mind. I'm hoping to get Ice climbers back too.
Isaac and Snake are both big fanservice characters.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I mean, my gut reaction to the statement "from now until the end, it is going to be fanservice" is one of giddiness and excitement. But take a moment, breathe and refrain from counting those chickens before they hatch. For all we know, Sakurai has a different perception of "fan service" and is planning on adding three more Fire Emblem characters, or for a less hyperbolic example, considers any new characters at all to be "fan service" because characters take a lot of work and so on.

That being said, if he were to throw out the term "fan service" and then NOT include a character who so fully embodies that term as K. Rool, that would be just an overt smack to the face. Looking at all the polls that have come in thus far, I think we can safely assume we're sufficiently popular, mythical "casuals voting for other characters" be darned.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Yeah, but those aren't really fanservice in that they're sort of logical choices. Guys like K. Rool, Isaac and Snake would rely more on fan demand.
Even though Snake is super fan-service I don't think he'll get in just because of recent Konami fluff.

D

Deleted member

The definition of several is this: more than two but not many

In other words, we are getting at least three more characters.

This is really good news for us. I will be legitimately surprised if King K. Rool doesn't get in at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Yeah, but those aren't really fanservice in that they're sort of logical choices. Guys like K. Rool, Isaac and Snake would rely more on fan demand.
Part of what MAKES them logical is their popularity though... that was my point.

K. Rool and Isaac are on a different tier, but don't fully disregard some of the other big candidates.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Dixie and Bandanna Dee are pretty popular, though. Dixie isn't a surprise, its Bandanna Dee that surprises me. The only reason you don't hear about Dixie that much is because most of the DK fans want K. Rool first before Dixie, but a good portion of them would definitely want Dixie next, and many already want Dixie and K. Rool at the same time.

The definition of several is this: more than two but not many

In other words, we are getting at least three more characters.
That's my interpretation. My bets are still on four.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that Sakurai actively hates K. Rool, it's just that circumstances were always against the King. 64 was the first game, with an uncertain future, they could only afford doing protagonists. Melee had rushed development, so the team could afford doing only a few actual newcomers(not clones). They understandably gave priority to other more requested characters such as Bowser, Mewtwo(both considered for 64), Peach and Zelda. Iirc also was in the middle of the Rare buyout bull****. In Brawl, once again, another character got in the way of the King, this time Diddy Kong; understandably, the sidekick got priority over the villain. In smash 4, Sakurai probably felt like the King's popularity faded out because it hasn't appeared in ages and that's probably why he excluded him. Luckily, we have this ballot to ultimately prove that our King is the perfect choice. Excluding him now would be like excluding Bowser after the Smash 2 poll.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Double post of this interview

(This one saids it in a different way.)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...bros_dlc_additions_werent_from_the_fan_ballot

:4lucas::4ryu::4feroy: Had nothing to do with the ballot

In other words this confirms that the 2 emptys found eariler are most likely nothing to do with the ballot either.
http://nintendoeverything.com/detai...e-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-dlc-characters-planned/

"From now until the end, it i going to be fan service".

Let's hope.
Both of those are citing this article:

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/...in-the-battle-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-481/

Anyway, this is pretty much K. Rool's time.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'm not talking about their cartoons. Bowser is the most recognizable villain in video games. K Rool is on the level of Ganondorf since most gamers (not all) know who he is (the people who don't know are people who are too little to know or are not interested in Nintendo whatsoever). Dude, everyone knows who Link (although some people call him Zelda) and Kirby are. They are gaming mascots.
I wasn't either, I was just saying as characters overall. Donkey Kong Country was a pretty big Nintendo franchise during the golden age of Rare and Nintendo and many people knew who K. Rool was as they do Bowser it seemed but Ganondorf was still pretty well know, though if anything I'd say most would recognize him more as Ganon. These days though yeah I could agree with you on that. Of course everyone knows who they are, I was pointing out at them being well known characters and villains of their respective franchises.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Watch as Sakurai's definition of fan service includes King K. Rool in an oversized swimsuit. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Watch as Sakurai's definition of fan service includes King K. Rool in an oversized swimsuit. :troll:
That would be so bad it's funny. :)

Speaking of which, If we're doing fan service, I want Lucas with swimsuit costumes; same with Ness. You have to admit that this:
SummerMother.jpg

makes them look good.

Last edited by a moderator:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Swimsuits for everyone, then.

Prioritize Fanservice Emblem and give Robin and co. a swimsuit to promote Fates. Then give it to everyone else that can wear one. :troll:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
This sounds really Kool!

All fan service? "from now on"? "several characters? as in...with an "s"?

ohhhhhh no excuse now...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
No, there's one thing that has to happen first.

....I'll be going now.

BURN IT!!!!!!!!!

Both of those are citing this article:

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/...in-the-battle-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-481/

Anyway, this is pretty much K. Rool's time.
Not quite yet.

Remember in the data leak that found the ryu and roy sound files.

There was 5 marios under mewtwo (they presented emptys)

The 3 makes it 4 now

So 2 emptys left and they are probably pre-ballot as well.

Top Bottom