• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Burruni

Smash Hero
Not really bro...how many char are they adding...does it take 6 months to do that?
No dude...they are working on the ballot chars now to be released at least this year.

I pretty much wont give a damn who gets addrd if this falls in to 2016 because i will be playing Gears of War 4.
Also isnt the NX coming out in 2016???
1) From April to october?
:4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::wolf: + Mystery.
5 characters, plus the stages, tournament mode, mii costumes, and any other bits for DLC. They're not working SOLELY on characters for DLC. Also, think about how every character had to have the "crush" animation from Ryu's focus attack. There's a lot of bits and pieces that go into the work at hand.
2) Could they have work prepared for A FORERUNNER of the ballot? Possibly. But WE DON'T KNOW HOW THE WORK IS GOING. So don't claim that they're working on ballot characters now.
3) You don't give a damn. The majority of the Smash community won't be playing Gears 4.
4) No. The NX is so early in development that they don't have information to go OVER sufficient enough until 2016. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Whether we win or lose 1st place in the ballot. We can all nod our heads with confidence knowing that King K. Rool will be in the top 5 ballot spots no matter what. He has popularity. He has potential and he has a great franchise and fan base behind him.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I agree with the general sentiment that Sakurai just seems apathetic to Donkey Kong as a whole. Diddy wasn't even on the table for 64 or Melee despite being a perfect choice for both games, and K. Rool has never been on the table as far as we know. That's not getting into its poor representation overall across the series.

I just wonder what his response will be to K. Rool dominating the ballot. I have to assume he already knows K. Rool is a popular request, before the ballot went up, and that he was discussed as a potential candidate at some point during both Brawl and Smash 4's development, even if only briefly.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
What makes me curious is that they've developed a ton of content in a mere 6 months or so. I mean 4 characters(one newcomer, 3 vets, but of those 2 were decently retooled), and about 3 stages or so so that's about a month and a half a character, and they've streamlined the process for any future characters as well. I believe we will get another announcement in the next direct, and possibly get pairs from here on out, albeit at larger intervals(with the next obvious one being August since we already have an update coming)

Also, throw me in the party that believes they are developing characters from the Ballot as they go, they never said the most voted, or that they would pick at the end, they have a ton of data from the first month alone, and I think they would announce one candidate in August to increase the hype for last 2 months of voting. I do wish they would let us have a look at the process, there has to be a reason for such a long time period

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm reminded that this is arguably the biggest DLC support thread on SmashBoards with over a million views and over thirty thousand replies.

That's not popular, I dunno what is.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm reminded that this is arguably the biggest support thread on SmashBoards with over a million views and over thirty thousand replies.

That's not popular, I dunno what is.
Ridley's was bigger (:awesome:), but half of that was controversy over the character in general. Definitely the biggest DLC thread.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ridley's was bigger (:awesome:), but half of that was controversy over the character in general. Definitely the biggest DLC thread.
Current support thread, that is. :p

Never paid much attention to Ridley's back then.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
1) From April to october?
:4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::wolf: + Mystery.
5 characters, plus the stages, tournament mode, mii costumes, and any other bits for DLC. They're not working SOLELY on characters for DLC. Also, think about how every character had to have the "crush" animation from Ryu's focus attack. There's a lot of bits and pieces that go into the work at hand.
2) Could they have work prepared for A FORERUNNER of the ballot? Possibly. But WE DON'T KNOW HOW THE WORK IS GOING. So don't claim that they're working on ballot characters now.
3) You don't give a damn. The majority of the Smash community won't be playing Gears 4.
4) No. The NX is so early in development that they don't have information to go OVER sufficient enough until 2016. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
I could see Wolf (and maybe the last Pre-Ballot Character) coming out in August.

They could throw in the Tourny Mode (which is scheduled for August) in the same update they would be made available in, along with Hyrule Castle 64 and Peach's Castle 64. It would be like how they announced the Miiverse stage a while back, said it would be coming in the future, and then they threw it in with a DLC update.

I personally think the Mystery Character will be a Nintendo Newcomer. I can't see them having a 3rd Party Newcomer in the first wave of DLC, and not a Nintendo Newcomer. It seems weird.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I could see Wolf (and maybe the last Pre-Ballot Character) coming out in August.

They could throw in the Tourny Mode (which is scheduled for August) in the same update they would be made available in, along with Hyrule Castle 64 and Peach's Castle 64. It would be like how they announced the Miiverse stage a while back, said it would be coming in the future, and then they threw it in with a DLC update.

I personally think the Mystery Character will be a Nintendo Newcomer. I can't see them having a 3rd Party Newcomer in the first wave of DLC, and not a Nintendo Newcomer. It seems weird.
Wolf in August, Mystery newcomer in October. Some signs point to Rhythm Heaven.

StormC

Smash Hero
Wolf in August, Mystery newcomer in October. Some signs point to Rhythm Heaven.
That'd leave quite a gap between pre-planned and ballot characters, which is feasible, I suppose.

Imagine if Sakurai was like "btw we're hiring a ton of staff for ballot characters so those will come out quicker."

Burruni

Smash Hero
That'd leave quite a gap between pre-planned and ballot characters, which is feasible, I suppose.

Imagine if Sakurai was like "btw we're hiring a ton of staff for ballot characters so those will come out quicker."
I think we'd get one Ballot character in December (which was somewhat worked on due to a demanding position in the poll from August-October) and the remaining 2-4 across 2016 with no later than E3 2016.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I personally think FF could be pretty fun.

It has the same gameplay style as the Prime games, and it looks cool to be work together with your friends to take down Metroid Monsters while playing as Federation Soldiers. It just seems like it will be a pretty cool experience in general, assembling your Federation Squad and all.

The reason people are hating it is because it wasn't presented well at E3. I'm almost certain that Ridley and other iconic bosses will make an appearance. They already confirmed Samus and Metroids will.

I'm pretty excited to learn more about it.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think we'd get one Ballot character in December (which was somewhat worked on due to a demanding position in the poll from August-October) and the remaining 2-4 across 2016 with no later than E3 2016.
That's pretty crazy optimistic. The idea of playing as K. Rool as soon as December is too difficult for me to crystalize.

Donkey Kong Jr

Smash Cadet
Considering its Camelot and they love their DK characters, yeah, I could see K. Rool and Dixie being in Mario Tennis.
As unlikely as K. Rool making it into Mario Tennis may be, I could see it possibly happening due to Camelot's liking for the DK series. Regardless, I really don't have any expectations with relation to that.

If It's a DK racing game would you guys be upset or happy? I'm not sure myself atm.
I'd be rather hyped if it was a new Diddy Kong Racing or something like the cancelled Donkey Kong Racing. I want a new Diddy Kong Racing so bad...

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Yes, this is the biggest reason... this and the fact that some people don't have friends to play with...
You got plenty of friends here, and it has online

That's pretty crazy optimistic. The idea of playing as K. Rool as soon as December is too difficult for me to crystalize.
I think it could be sooner, I really believe the first Ballot character will come at the end of the voting period, its just too long for them not to start during it, and even if its started August it would be ready for October. I mean, they popped Ryu and Roy out of nowhere last Sunday(I mean we had the leaks, but didn't expect them), and we are getting at least 1 character every two months, and there are definitely more on their way, there is no way they are splitting up the team or doing just stages which take less time and a different style of work(and likely a different team.

Way I figure it, is we got at least one character in August, one October, and one December, however I actually think Wolf could be the October/December one to coincide with Star Fox Zero... possibly with Krystal, both due to the ballot, and Star Fox deserving a new character. So that leaves us with an open slot

So Yeah, I believe we're getting a Ballot character by October, if not sooner, and Yeah I think it could be K.Rool. Nowhere on the Smash Ballot website does it say they are waiting until it ends to pick from it, and nowhere do they say its determined by vote count. Fact is by choosing one character before the end it will bolster further voting in the final months, and hype the fanbase. The entire point of the ballot is to show an open field of wanted characters with interesting backing/reasoning, and the first months provide a large base, and the middle is slow, then a sudden surge near the end. As it happens great candidates will pop out as it goes, pulling as it goes is the smartest picks, especially when you want to keep DLC coming

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think they're going to want to have something to show for themselves, come October when the ballot closes. If they start development on a newcomer next month or in August, they should have time to whip together a trailer to celebrate the ballot's end, then release that character for the holidays.

Others could come in the new year, but they wouldn't end the ballot and then wait to show who won (presuming it's not a troll or impossible character) or only start developing them six months after they started topping the votes.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Also, something else to consider is that every Smash game has a short list, and a cut list, the former being Characters who made it to the concept stage(basic concept art and moveset, but cut due to being a low priority for various reason(low perceived demand, member of a represented franchise, begin a lot of work)), and latter being those who got to a basic in-game state, but got cut due to lack of time and being a low priority. Any character on the Short list already has a foundation laid, and would be quicker to implement.

The way I see it is that our first Ballot picks will likely come from the short list, being that they have some work done, and were already considered in-game. Thing is though, is that there is no reason these picks wouldn't start development right away since there were already concepts in place, and the Ballot support shows enough general interest(and additional concepts). These(and yes I think plural), are likely destined for reveal before the end of the ballot, and release well before the end of the year, while the more out there, yet popular and well-reasoned characters may not get started until the end of the ballot and primarily make it in due to support. Now mind you I see no reason why our king wasn't on the short list despite making the initial cut(I mean, he is one of the most iconic DK characters, and one of the few villain candidates available).

Now don't get me wrong, the Ballot is definitely going to be decided by fan support, and most likely will allow a few characters that were not thought of to get in (Captain Syrup and Issac for example, both have potential, but both their franchises are overlooked and overshadowed), but I think it will also be used to justify finally taking some characters off the drawing board. Way I see it, we are getting at least two, since Nintendo would most likely rationalize that while a Character from a represented franchise does deserve in, un-repped Franchises deserve a chance as well, especially those with heavy support

But ya, in some shape or form, the way I see it at least one character that has been chosen by the ballot is in development already

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm glad you guys are more optimistic than I am. I hope you're proven right.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'm not worried about K. Rool, honestly. I think he's a shoe-in for one of the ballot characters, as he's clearly one of the most popular characters that is heavily voted for. I think the pre-planned DLC will be Wolf and maybe Isaac or a Rhythm Heaven character, as Isaac was suspiciously removed as an Assist Trophy and the Rhythm Heaven series might have been planned to be represented (if Gematsu was correct about it). For ballot characters, the only one I could see hindering King K. Rool's likelihood is Dixie Kong as a DK rep. However, she's not as voted for even with her recency and I believe if Ryu is any indication, Sakurai will be looking for characters with unique moveset potential. Dixie Kong isn't nearly as special in that regard when compared to K. Rool.
Dude Ray was removed as an assist trophy and has no trophies in the game. Isaac not being an assist trophy doesn't mean anything.
You have to keep in mind though, even if King K does win, it doesn't mean Sakurai will put him in. I mean, was it even stated that the winner would be put in or anything remotely similar to that effect? I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai see's how high Wolf and the Ice Climbers are, and he just decides to add Wolf and fix what's left that's needed with the pretty much finished IC's.

There is also no limit put on DLC slots, stages have an extra page, and they've found that same button on the CSS. I'd be surprised if we see more than two, but don't find it impossible. With Ryu's inclusion, I hope that we have one more 3rd party or fewer.
He wouldn't do that, you know how many fans that would piss off.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I think the Banjo Kazooie votes help K Rool's case. Think about it, it'll undoubtedly be a hassle to put BK in Smash, but K Rool is already owned by Nintendo. If they see votes for both K Rool and Banjo Kazooie, they may just take that as a sign of people wanting Rareware characters, in which case they'll just go for the easier option, i.e. K Rool. Two Kazooie's with one stone basically.
(No offense to Banjo Kazooie supporters, of which I am one of).

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel so conflicted with so many Rare characters ranking high in the ballot.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I feel so conflicted with so many Rare characters ranking high in the ballot.
The year is 2022.
Playtonic games was bought by Nintendo after the success of Yooka-Laylee. The series after that point became a Nintendo exclusive.
Yooka-Laylee announced for Smash 5.
Banjo Kazooie has not recieved a game since 2016 with the failed project originally dubbed "Banjo Kinect."

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The year is 2022.
Playtonic games was bought by Nintendo after the success of Yooka-Laylee. The series after that point became a Nintendo exclusive.
This is about right, considering how long it takes Nintendo to make smart moves.

Banjo Kazooie has not recieved a game since 2016 with the failed project originally dubbed "Banjo Kinect."
And this is, sadly, the fate of Banjo Kazooie.

P.S.: E.A. buys Bethesda.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I'm not sure that we've seen the end of Banjo Kazooie yet. My early biases that Rare was never dead aside, recently they've shown to their doubters they're actually back with Sea of Thieves and Rare Replay. They care. So I reckon we'll see more Banjo Kazooie down the line...Now we just need Nintendo to up their game in Rareware-ish content!

Burruni

Smash Hero
This is about right, considering how long it takes Nintendo to make smart moves.

And this is, sadly, the fate of Banjo Kazooie.

P.S.: E.A. buys Bethesda.
I'm not sure that we've seen the end of Banjo Kazooie yet. My early biases that Rare was never dead aside, recently they've shown to their doubters they're actually back with Sea of Thieves and Rare Replay. They care. So I reckon we'll see more Banjo Kazooie down the line...Now we just need Nintendo to up their game in Rareware-ish content!
I never said the end.

I said a game had not come out between 2016, Banjo-Kinect, and 2022. 6 years time.

We went from... 2000 to 2008 for Nuts & Bolts and 2008 to 2016 for whatever Banjo is being worked on.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I never said the end.

I said a game had not come out between 2016, Banjo-Kinect, and 2022. 6 years time.

We went from... 2000 to 2008 for Nuts & Bolts and 2008 to 2016 for whatever Banjo is being worked on.
Not really, we got Grunty's Revenge as well(really underrated game btw), and Banjo Pilot but nobody likes that.

TallT

Smash Apprentice
The way I see it I think DLC will play out like this

After Nintendo announced that Mewtwo would be joining Smash Bros as DLC Sakurai and his team spent their time working on Mewtwo and other pre ballot characters (like :4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::wolf:). They probably at this time had already came up with the idea of allowing fans to vote for future Newcomer DLC. Then in April Nintendo announced the ballot when they revealed their first pre ballot DLC character; Lucas. They continued working on Lucas and other pre ballot characters while waiting for a good number of votes to pileup. They then released Lucas, Roy, and Ryu in June. After the first 2 months of gathering data through the ballot they began working on the first ballot DLC character in June while still working on other pre ballot characters.

If you think about it this makes a lot of sense because most fans voted within the first few weeks the ballot was out instead of waiting until the end.

Next in August they will release Wolf and a 3rd DLC pack of stages and costumes, and possibly showoff one last pre ballot character to be released in October. In August 4 months will have passed since Nintendo opened up the ballot to the public. Sakurai and his team will now reexamine the data again to see who is currently winning and pick their second DLC character from the ballot. Also, it is important to note that Sakurai and his team will now be able to focus almost all of their attention on working on just these two ballot characters.

October will come and the last pre ballot character will be available to download with the 4th DLC pack. This is when Nintendo will announce the first character from the ballot to be available sometime between December and February (that means Sakurai's team will have had 6-8 months to work on this first character). They will then in October look at the final data from the ballot and decide who the last ballot character will be and begin working on them while working on the other two ballot characters.

Two months after releasing the first ballot character they will release the second character, and then 2 months after that finally the third character. Thus, we will get a total of 3 characters from the ballot.

Obviously one of these choice will be the one and only

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I never said the end.

If this is directed at me, I answered the way I did because Microsoft will mess up the Banjo Kazooie game and likely end the main title in the series.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The way I see it I think DLC will play out like this

After Nintendo announced that Mewtwo would be joining Smash Bros as DLC Sakurai and his team spent their time working on Mewtwo and other pre ballot characters (like :4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::wolf:). They probably at this time had already came up with the idea of allowing fans to vote for future Newcomer DLC. Then in April Nintendo announced the ballot when they revealed their first pre ballot DLC character; Lucas. They continued working on Lucas and other pre ballot characters while waiting for a good number of votes to pileup. They then released Lucas, Roy, and Ryu in June. After the first 2 months of gathering data through the ballot they began working on the first ballot DLC character in June while still working on other pre ballot characters.

If you think about it this makes a lot of sense because most fans voted within the first few weeks the ballot was out instead of waiting until the end.

Next in August they will release Wolf and a 3rd DLC pack of stages and costumes, and possibly showoff one last pre ballot character to be released in October. In August 4 months will have passed since Nintendo opened up the ballot to the public. Sakurai and his team will now reexamine the data again to see who is currently winning and pick their second DLC character from the ballot. Also, it is important to note that Sakurai and his team will now be able to focus almost all of their attention on working on just these two ballot characters.

October will come and the last pre ballot character will be available to download with the 4th DLC pack. This is when Nintendo will announce the first character from the ballot to be available sometime between December and February (that means Sakurai's team will have had 6-8 months to work on this first character). They will then in October look at the final data from the ballot and decide who the last ballot character will be and begin working on them while working on the other two ballot characters.

Two months after releasing the first ballot character they will release the second character, and then 2 months after that finally the third character. Thus, we will get a total of 3 characters from the ballot.

Obviously one of these choice will be the one and only
This makes so much sense. I can only dream that 8 DLC characters is what we get. It's certainly looking that way, if they can just drop three of them at once (Seriously, if they'd done this on Tuesday instead of Sunday they'd have won E3 easily.)

It definitely explains why it took roughly 5 months to get Mewtwo. Because he wasn't the only one being worked on, and I can only assume, if Sakurai wants to get out "as many characters as possible" before we're done, and the ballot ends in October, we have yet more to come.

So I sure hope your predictions turn out right!

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
What would everyone think if K. Rool was leaked to without a doubt be in the game? Personally, I'd be a bit disappointed that it was leaked and not officially announced with a trailer, but it'd be incredible to finally have him in Smash.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Honestly, going on the whole 8 DLC character rule this is how I see it planning out
1 :4mewtwo:
2 :4lucas:
3 :4feroy:
4 :4ryu:
5 :wolf:
6 Either the first ballot character or a pre-ballot character (Inklings maybe, veteran like Snake or something, Rayman maybe)
7 Ballot character #1
8 Ballot character #2

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
God I want the 8 character theory to be true.

I'd imagine K. Rool, Isaac, and Bandanna Dee are in the running, I'm sure of it.

My perfect 8
1. :4mewtwo:

2.:4lucas:

3.:4feroy:

4.:4ryu:

5. :wolf:

6. King K. Rool

7. Bandana Dee

8. Ridley (won't happen, but I would accept Dixie, Isaac, Chibi-Robo or Captain Toad in his place)

King K. Rool, Bandana Dee and Wolf are enough for me.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'd say for me it's

1. :4mewtwo:
2. :4lucas:
3. :4feroy:
4. :4ryu:
5. :wolf:

6. K. Rool

Actually to be honest, as long as Wolf and K. Rool are present I could care less who else gets in. Though I'd love to see both Dixie and Shantae in, or Bandanna Dee. I sadly never played any Golden Sun game or heard of it outside Smash, so I don't have the same enthusiasm for Isaac but I always like seeing a character get in and pleasing their fans.

Top Bottom