• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

StormC

Smash Hero
I propose everyone of us to do avertising for King K. Rool in our online pages, for example Facebook, Twitter or Tumblr.
I just changed my Tumblr header to this and I reblog K. Rool stuff as much as possible so hopefully someone out of my 800 followers takes note.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
And here's the second teaser:

You know what this is, don't yarr? (Why did I suddenly speak like a pirate?)

By the way, it probably will require at least a few days. If we're lucky, I'll be finished before Mewtwo gets released... :p
Oh boy, it's gonna be my BIGGEST project until now! (And no, not "big" like in "Ridley"... *sobs*)

Wickershamleader

Smash Rookie
Well, first post here, and I figured that making a little ad for K. Rool was a good starting point. Not really sure where else to put this, so I guess I'll leave it here for you guys to use. It's a big image, too.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
And here's the second teaser:

You know what this is, don't yarr? (Why did I suddenly speak like a pirate?)

By the way, it probably will require at least a few days. If we're lucky, I'll be finished before Mewtwo gets released... :p
Oh boy, it's gonna be my BIGGEST project until now! (And no, not "big" like in "Ridley"... *sobs*)
Just to make sure, this is the K. Rool version of that Mary Tyler Moore show intro, right?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
There you go!.. My proposal of Alt. Colors for the King! (supposing he wouldn't get all his different costumes, even though I went a bit far on the last one I made =P);...

I had to made smaller than the last pic, just to try to hide some details that didn't end very well at the time of the recolor (it can be still noted though); But I hope you guys like my effort! ^^ .. and sorry for the delay to deliver. :\/

(already working on another thing, btw, .. but this will be a surprise. =P).
I want to be mad that there isn't Kaptain or Baron up there, but these are so good they make it very difficult.

As said before, a big fan of Krusha. What I wasn't expecting to say was that I'm not even sure that's the one I'd pick anymore. Kudgel is another one I'm a big fan of, and you've done a fantastic job of the Lord Fredrik alt as well.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
There you go!.. My proposal of Alt. Colors for the King! (supposing he wouldn't get all his different costumes, even though I went a bit far on the last one I made =P);...

I had to made smaller than the last pic, just to try to hide some details that didn't end very well at the time of the recolor (it can be still noted though); But I hope you guys like my effort! ^^ .. and sorry for the delay to deliver. :\/

(already working on another thing, btw, .. but this will be a surprise. =P).
That's pretty well done.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I want to be mad that there isn't Kaptain or Baron up there, but these are so good they make it very difficult.

As said before, a big fan of Krusha. What I wasn't expecting to say was that I'm not even sure that's the one I'd pick anymore. Kudgel is another one I'm a big fan of, and you've done a fantastic job of the Lord Fredrik alt as well.
Captain and Baron only work as full alts. These recolors are designed to work without being full alts if full alts aren't a viable option.

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Not to be random or anything, but if King K. Rool ends up making it in as a result of the fighter ballot, which design do most of you feel they'll use for him? I personally prefer his Rare design much more, as it was more detailed and eye-popping (no pun intended) in my opinion. His PAON design was always just a little too goofy for my taste. I honestly think they would use his Rare design for some reason though, mainly because it seems that most of the Donkey Kong content they've taken from the games is from the original Donkey Kong Country/64 games. I can just imagine how amazing his Rare design would look on the Wii U version!

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
A touch up of the PAON model, much like what Cyberwolf has posted, would be my guess. I'd be shocked if they brought back old Rare design elements like the gold belly, and feel that the PAON model fits better with the other characters in the game.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'm the opposite. I feel like the Rare design fits better, as it seems that the Smash Bros. franchise usually goes for a more serious/realistic take on all of the fighters. Plus, it seems that Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong more closely resemble their Rare designs, so I could see them doing the same for King K. Rool.

StormC

Smash Hero
I guess I'm the opposite. I feel like the Rare design fits better, as it seems that the Smash Bros. franchise usually goes for a more serious/realistic take on all of the fighters.
Maybe for Brawl, but definitely not for Smash 4. Everyone has fairly bright colors. Just compare Bowser between the games.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

Thanks a lot! I'm big fan of the K. Rool's habit of changing his clothes during the games, and I'd love see this being represented in his Smash appearance.. but I'm not expecting too much... We have the Koopalings for Bowser Jr., but looking for Alph or Robin, seems to be likely just one change of costume after all (if not none, just like @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman said).. and by this thought, I went for something exclusive for Smash, a Fredrik costume. =P..

For the colors, I chose my favorite Kremlings.. of course, I lot them ended out of this, but it's hard to pick so few. XD

That's pretty well done.
Thanks a lot!

I guess I'm the opposite. I feel like the Rare design fits better, as it seems that the Smash Bros. franchise usually goes for a more serious/realistic take on all of the fighters. Plus, it seems that Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong more closely resemble their Rare designs, so I could see them doing the same for King K. Rool.
I'm expecting for the Paon design,... and it's fine for me, as long they put a tail on him. =P

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I know it's late but @ CyberWolfBia CyberWolfBia thanks so much for that visual size chart!

I was just siting and wondering not too long ago how big was too big and how small was too small for KKR and you nailed it perfectly! It's awesome! Those recolors are also phenomenal! Id love love LOVE a Viking K.Rool ha ha

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Maybe for Brawl, but definitely not for Smash 4. Everyone has fairly bright colors. Just compare Bowser between the games.
The colors are brighter, yes, but the physical characteristics are more defined and toned compared to how those characters look respectively in their games. Just look at Donkey Kong in Smash compared to Tropical Freeze. Bowser does look "sillier" in this Smash compared to his previous Smash appearances, but compared to how he looks in say, Mario Party 10 for instance, he's more physically fleshed out and detailed in Smash.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
That's why I think they'll do something like Cyberwolf's mockup. It's based on the PAON design (the only new K. Rool design to exist within the last decade) but is more detailed and touched up.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
The colors are brighter, yes, but the physical characteristics are more defined and toned compared to how those characters look respectively in their games. Just look at Donkey Kong in Smash compared to Tropical Freeze. Bowser does look "sillier" in this Smash compared to his previous Smash appearances, but compared to how he looks in say, Mario Party 10 for instance, he's more physically fleshed out and detailed in Smash.
I agree with you here. They can still use K. Rool's Rare design and give him brighter colors and use various facial expressions like:4dedede:.

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I'm expecting for the Paon design,... and it's fine for me, as long they put a tail on him. =P
Yes! If they do end up using the PAON design, they better include a tail.

That's why I think they'll do something like Cyberwolf's mockup. It's based on the PAON design (the only new K. Rool design to exist within the last decade) but is more detailed and touched up.
I could see that happening. I just think the original design is more of the design they would go for. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree with you here. They can still use K. Rool's Rare design and give him brighter colors and use various facial expressions like:4dedede:.
I think King K. Rool's Rare design with brighter colors would look amazing! Although the original design already had some pretty bright colors as it is, for instance the bright red color of the cape.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Only in brawl they took a serious "realistic" approach in design. Smash 4 has a very simplistic, cartoon-esque design. You can see this through the lack of heavy shading and the texturing isn't ROUGH and super defined looking as it was in brawl.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
So, I've been thinking and was was wondering what kind of 'gimmick' Sakurai may use for our beloved King. Since most new characters use a little gimmick of sorts (excluding Duck Hunt, Dark Pit and WFT), do want to see any new gimmicks like the KO Punch or Palutena's extremely versatile customs? Personally I'd say no, but then again, if Sakurai finds a way to incorporate a playing-dead gimmick for K. Rool, that would be quite interesting...

StormC

Smash Hero
Since most new characters use a little gimmick of sorts (excluding Duck Hunt, Dark Pit and WFT)
I'd say Greninja doesn't have a gimmick either and Duck Hunt (two character models + gunman) and WFT (strange hitboxes) do.

I feel like K. Rool doesn't need a gimmick and has enough to offer by his extremely large variety of moves and attacks.

King K. Rool has a tail? In what games?
Just DK64.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
So, I've been thinking and was was wondering what kind of 'gimmick' Sakurai may use for our beloved King. Since most new characters use a little gimmick of sorts (excluding Duck Hunt, Dark Pit and WFT), do want to see any new gimmicks like the KO Punch or Palutena's extremely versatile customs? Personally I'd say no, but then again, if Sakurai finds a way to incorporate a playing-dead gimmick for K. Rool, that would be quite interesting...
When I made my moveset, I thought about this when I put the Side Smash being 3 variants of projectiles from his Blunderbuss;.. Would differentiate him from the other characters, but wouldn't spoil the gameplay in the normal Smash mechanics. (well.. spoil it's not the right term.. since none of the newcomers are really spoiled by their gimmicks... but you get it. XD).

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I think K. Rool's design will be close but not EXACT to the in-game trophy. The trophy already portrays the simple design Smash 4 has, but I think they'll take the "mewtwo route" where it looks kind of like the trophy but with some throwback to the original design. So I think that's the perfect design, new-age looking & some throwback to his original designs.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Only in brawl they took a serious "realistic" approach in design. Smash 4 has a very simplistic, cartoon-esque design. You can see this through the lack of heavy shading and the texturing isn't ROUGH and super defined looking as it was in brawl.
I'm not trying to say they specifically went for a serious approach. What I'm trying to say is that the designs they use for each character in Smash is a more serious/realistic take on the character compared to how they appear respectively in their normal games. Just compare any number of characters. As I said before, just look at Donkey Kong in this Smash compared to Tropical Freeze, or Bowser here compared to Super Mario 3D World, or King Dedede compared to any recent Kirby title. They're always more physically defined and fleshed out in the Smash titles.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The design really depends. Since most people are more familiar with the Rare design and since a ton of people are asking for classic costumes, I wouldn't be surprised to see the team harken back to it like they did with this game's third parties. On the other hand, the Paon model is the modern one featured in his trophy, so they might go with that for the sake of convenience as well.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I'm not trying to say they specifically went for a serious approach. What I'm trying to say is that the designs they use for each character in Smash is a more serious/realistic take on the character compared to how they appear respectively in their normal games. Just compare any number of characters. As I said before, just look Donkey Kong in this Smash compared to Tropical Freeze, or Bowser here compared to Super Mario 3D World, or King Dedede compared to any recent Kirby title. They're always more physically defined and fleshed out in the Smash titles.
WELL YEAH It's fair to say they bump up their quality in Smash Bros. by putting more effort into their in-game design but when we talk STYLES or, types of design used in Smash 4 simplistic is the only way to describe it. So to say Smash 4 has a more "realistic" design is incorrect.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
He had it in all three of the DKC games and 64, however it only appeared in his sprites and model as the artwork never allowed us to see it.
exactly! I was going to post it! XD..

However, the Baron K. Roolenstein sprite doesn't show his tail anywhere.. And by the confusion with his old renders, can be the motive that the DKC Animated series and Paon went with him without tail.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
WELL YEAH It's fair to say they bump up their quality in Smash Bros. by putting more effort into their in-game design but when we talk STYLES or, types of design used in Smash 4 simplistic is the only way to describe it. So to say Smash 4 has a more "realistic" design is incorrect.
There's a difference in saying something looks "more" realistic when looked at comparatively to other designs of these characters, and saying the specific art style they went for with this game was realistic.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
While not exactly a gimmick, your idea made me think of a unique characteristic K. Rool could have - a very powerful floor attack. In almost all cases floor attacks are weak moves that inflict only 5% or 6%, but as K. Rool is well known to make the Kongs think that he's defeated well he's actually not, a floor attack which inflicts more damage - like say, 12% or 13% - and inflicts enough knockback to be a reliable kill move would really fit him. I think it would be a good translation of K. Rool's habit to cheat death in DKC games.

And because we're talking about K. Rool's design, personally my favourite would be the Rare one but brighter, more expressive, with claws at the fingers and not lacking the tail. Given that his moveset would probably come from Rare's DK games' boss fights, it would make sense to take his design from those games. Plus the bigger crown from Rare's design would make more sense than the tinny one from the Paon one if the Krown toss move is included in the moveset, a move too iconic to simply ignore imo.

Last edited:

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
I've always felt like an odd man out when it comes to K. Rool's design. The PAON redesign more natural in my opinion and feels physically larger and more intimidating for it. Especially with beefier bracers and upper body compared to the original.

I dunno, see I don't really have a problem with the original per say but when comparing the two I just feel if confronted on their own terms (proverbial dark alley) PAON would be the greater physical challenge (an important fact to consider when your arch-nemesis is powerhouse like DK).

Rare's design looking now, while more "reptilian" in appearance (hello, awesome tail!) he looks a little more brittle.

I know some take issue with the smaller crown he has now but it just further the whole big and intimidating thing. He's so big he's actually outgrown it!

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
While not exactly a gimmick, your idea made me think of a unique characteristic K. Rool could have - a very powerful floor attack. In almost all cases floor attacks are weak moves that inflict only 5% or 6%, but as K. Rool is well known to make the Kongs think that he's defeated well he's actually not, a floor attack which inflicts more damage - like say, 12% or 13% - and inflicts enough knockback to be a reliable kill move would really fit him. I think it would be a good translation of K. Rool's habit to cheat death in DKC games.
I really like the idea of a get up attack being a kill move! It could translate to the competitive scene fairly well, however I think it may be a bit too easy to punish. But as a move in general, it sounds really neat.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Aside from the get-up attack thing mentioned earlier (which feels pretty good to me); I would say he would have the same gimmick as Mega Man in that he's highly projectile based - though heavier, slower with few combo strings.

Top Bottom