• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

xWolfiex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xWolfie55x
3DS FC
2982-1721-1850
I want to be honest with you all, and I'm not saying this to get everybody mad or anything. But, I don't like the idea about Banjo being in SSB4.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I want to be honest with you all, and I'm not saying this to get everybody mad or anything. But, I don't like the idea about Banjo being in SSB4.
Never played his game(s), so I'm indifferent. But I do understand the nostalgia factor. Would be happy for the people who wanted him, but he'd be as exciting to me as when Wii Fit Trainer or Shulk were introduced.

deleted

Smash Cadet
As many as you like, but due to the fact that we don't know the limitations of the system, i'd suggest only voting two or three times for each device you're on.
oh ok thank and um so those poll of most requested characters are they official?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Then vote for K. Rool! I'll have absolutely no Banjo slander in here, however!

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite games of all-time, but I agree with you. Unless Microsoft allows Nintendo to re-release Rare's N64 catalog on the Wii U Virtual Console, having Banjo as a playable character just seems... wrong. I mean, it's easy for Microsoft to sit back and say "we'd like to see Banjo in Smash." Why wouldn't they? It's free advertising! It makes literally zero business sense for Nintendo to add Banjo to roster unless they buy the IP outright or come to an agreement with Microsoft, allowing for the digital redistribution of games they published under the Rare label. It feels almost treasonous otherwise, and Smash ain't no joke.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I voted for both K. Rool and Dixie. I prefer Dixie but I'd be happy to see either one.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite games of all-time, but I agree with you. Unless Microsoft allows Nintendo to re-release Rare's N64 catalog on the Wii U Virtual Console, having Banjo as a playable character just seems... wrong. I mean, it's easy for Microsoft to sit back and say "we'd like to see Banjo in Smash." Why wouldn't they? It's free advertising! It makes literally zero business sense for Nintendo to add Banjo to roster unless they buy the IP outright or come to an agreement with Microsoft, allowing for the digital redistribution of games they published under the Rare label. It feels almost treasonous otherwise, and Smash ain't no joke.
I assume that would be a part of it; it's not like it would make any sense as you said to have Banjo in a Nintendo game, but not allow BK, BT and Grunty's Revenge to appear on the Wii U VC. Nintendo's smarter than that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, agreed. I don't see Banjo happening unless Nintendo either bought the rights to the IP or at least the redistribution rights.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Yeah, agreed. I don't see Banjo happening unless Nintendo either bought the rights to the IP or at least the redistribution rights.
Agreed. Of course Mr. Phil Spencer would say, "Ya we don't mind Banjo being in the game!"

Nintendo will NEVER be like "Oh ya! We will just give you free advertising for you new Banjo games Microsoft even though its not OUR IP anymore"....no thats not happening in my opinion.

Banjo is going to be one of, if not, THE HARDEST character for Nintendo to decide whether or not they want in Smash Bros due to them obviously NOT owning the Banjo IP.

The best 3rd parties that have a chance to get into this game are the Indie game characters. Lot cheaper, lot more reasonable, and the Indie developers would do a lot of the work too.

So that gives Shovel Knight some help, well, more than Banjo, anyway.

If Nintendo makes Banjo happen, I will be way too shocked for words. This seems like it is going to be the same situation that Playstation All-Stars(cringes) went through to "TRY" to get Crash Bandicoot in that game... a lost cause. Phil Spencer tweeting that..to me is just greedy, which matches my outlook on him anyway..

BUT...it is Sakurai and he is unpredictable AND he did say he wanted this to be the greatest CHARACTER game of all time so we will see in the end when the chips are all down.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Agreed. Of course Mr. Phil Spencer would say, "Ya we don't mind Banjo being in the game!"

Nintendo will NEVER be like "Oh ya! We will just give you free advertising for you new Banjo games Microsoft even though its not OUR IP anymore"....no thats not happening in my opinion.

Banjo is going to be one of, if not, THE HARDEST character for Nintendo to decide whether or not they want in Smash Bros due to them NOT owning Banjo IP these days.

The best 3rd parties that have a chance to get into this game are the Indie game characters. Lot cheaper, lot more reasonable, and the Indie developers would do a lot of the work too.

If Nintendo makes Banjo happen, I will be way too shocked for words. This seems like it is going to be the same situation that Playstation All-Stars(cringes) went through to "TRY" to get Crash Bandicoot in that game... a lost cause. Phil Spencer tweeting that..to me is just greedy, which matches my outlook on him anyway..
Sorry, at this point I think Shovel Knight is even less likely than Banjo. Nintendo might consider Banjo out of nostalgia and because, at one point, he was heavily associated with Nintendo. Shovel Knight has no Japanese backing whatsoever and is a very recent thing, Banjo (and likewise K. Rool) are much older with far more fans.

Shovel Knight is another one of those "recent" things.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Sorry, at this point I think Shovel Knight is even less likely than Banjo. Nintendo might consider Banjo out of nostalgia and because, at one point, he was heavily associated with Nintendo. Shovel Knight has no Japanese backing whatsoever and is a very recent thing, Banjo (and likewise K. Rool) are much older with far more fans.

Shovel Knight is another one of those "recent" things.
While I agree that Shovel Knight is just a "trending thing" for now. We will never know, but I for sure do NOT see Banjo happening. Lots to discuss between Nintendo and Microsoft. I really doubt Sakurai is going to want to delve this deep into this thing, but who knows this man is crazy..to put in characters like Dark Pit, Lucina, and as many Mario reps as this game ALREADY has....

Not that I want Shovel Knight...lmao. He is interesting but nothing more to me.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Question:

If we do get K. Rool in Smash, can it be this one? :awesome:

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Banjo is going to be one of, if not, THE HARDEST character for Nintendo to decide whether or not they want in Smash Bros due to them obviously NOT owning the Banjo IP.

BUT...it is Sakurai and he is unpredictable AND he did say he wanted this to be the greatest CHARACTER game of all time so we will see in the end when the chips are all down.
I don't think they would have that much problem, Snake was basically added because Sakurai is buddies with Kojima, and despite coming from such a mature series, not having many Nintendo games, and at the time, basically advertising MGS IV. Yet despite this Nintendo was cool with it, so i mean Banjo could very well be accepted as well. After all, just because they compete, doesn't mean that Microsoft and Nintendo are mortal enemies, both of them benefit from the other doing well, and having Banjo in Smash would be beneficial for both parties.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I don't think they would have that much problem, Snake was basically added because Sakurai is buddies with Kojima, and despite coming from such a mature series, not having many Nintendo games, and at the time, basically advertising MGS IV. Yet despite this Nintendo was cool with it, so i mean Banjo could very well be accepted as well. After all, just because they compete, doesn't mean that Microsoft and Nintendo are mortal enemies, both of them benefit from the other doing well, and having Banjo in Smash would be beneficial for both parties.
Also true. I just have to see that to believe it and AM ready for anything at the same time.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Shovel Knight does not have a Japanese release. His grave is dug (heh), I believe.

:231:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Exactly; it's why I'm glad to hear Microsoft is fine with it. As I've said before, the official statement from Nintendo Japan is that they aren't "competing" with Microsoft and Sony, so officially they should be fine with using Banjo, and it could lead to good things from both sides. I'm honestly still shocked (and still glad, because I love MGS) that Snake and all the MGS4 advertisement happened at all.

Banjo's going to push way past Shovel Knight in the polls, nostalgia or not. (I've replayed both games twice in the past two years. It's not nostalgia for me, just a love for something great.)

Shovel Knight does not have a Japanese release. His grave is dug (heh), I believe.

Ooooh, really? Ouch. If I got both K. Rool and Banjo by some miracle, I'd show Shovel Knight my support, but knowing that? Yeah...not really seeing it happening. At the very least I'd have loved some of that game's soundtrack in Smash. It's godlike.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace

I find it funny how right as a non-nintendo developer/president says something about "liking their own i.p. to be in smash bros," immediately it becomes a "OMG THIS CHARACTER IS A SHOE-IN FOR DLC NOW!!!" on reddit. And I totally agree on how you see the situation, to me I see it as the situation where two parents don't agree on a parenting strategy, and a kid sees one parent as SUPER COOL and the "super cool" parent says something on the lines of "if the not-as-cool parent says its okay, we can TOTALLY do that!" even though there's some obvious tension somewhere in the partnership. The parents being Microsoft and Nintendo, the child being fans.

Last edited:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499

These are apparently early results from the Japanese side of the voting. K. Kool is winning so far.

Little Mac was basically non existent in Japan yet he got in just fine. Same for the Fire Emblem characters when Melee first came out for the U.S. Those games didn't got release outside of Japan. Don't really see a problem with Shovel Knight

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I find it funny how right as a non-nintendo developer/president says something about "liking their own i.p. to be in smash bros," immediately it becomes a "OMG THIS CHARACTER IS A SHOE-IN FOR DLC NOW!!!" on reddit. And I totally agree on how you see the situation, to me I see it as the situation where two parents don't agree on a parenting strategy, and a kid sees one parent as SUPER COOL and the "super cool" parent says something on the lines of "if the not-as-cool parent says its okay, we can TOTALLY do that!" even though there's some obvious tension somewhere in the partnership. The parents being Microsoft and Nintendo, the child being fans.
Well here is the main reason that I think of it that way. Anyone can "SAY" anything to anyone and not mean it. Nintendo might have "SAID" they are not competing with Sony and Microsoft whenever, but thats not 100% true however you slice it. That is just Nintendo being a so called *Good Sport*. I am NOT saying they can't work it out. It COULD happen. I wouldn't mind Banjo, but if he gets in over King K...then we'll have a problem due to King K. being easier in every way to add whereas Banjo, Nintendo has to go through Microsoft..which IS whether you like it or not easier "SAID" than done.. Isn't that right Phil?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Little Mac was basically non existent in Japan yet he got in just fine. Same for the Fire Emblem characters when Melee first came out for the U.S. Those games didn't got release outside of Japan. Don't really see a problem with Shovel Knight
There are a few things to note though
- Little Mac is a Nintendo character.
- He was in a league of his own when it came to his popularity in the west, to the point that Japanese players acknowledged it.
- Being virtually unknown and not having a release at all aren't quite the same.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well here is the main reason that I think of it that way. Anyone can "SAY" anything to anyone and not mean it. Nintendo might have "SAID" they are not competing with Sony and Microsoft whenever, but thats not 100% true however you slice it. That is just Nintendo being a so called *Good Sport*. I am NOT saying they can't work it out. It COULD happen. I wouldn't mind Banjo, but if he gets in over King K...then we'll have a problem due to King K. being easier in every way to add whereas Banjo, Nintendo has to go through Microsoft..which IS whether you like it or not easier "SAID" than done.. Isn't that right Phil?
I mean, I know that. But *officially* they're perfectly accepting of making the effort. We obviously won't know all the politics, but all we can do right now is vote, eh?

cybersai

Smash Ace
I still say there is no way in hell ANY third party character will get into Smash as DLC, I just don't see it.

It seems like after King K. Rool that Isaac is the next most wanted character. Really surprises me as I never thought Golden Sun was that popular. Still would be cool for those fans.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
- He was in a league of his own when it came to his popularity in the west, to the point that Japanese players acknowledged it.
- Being virtually unknown and not having a release at all aren't quite the same.

Using Melee's characters as an example is worthless anyways. Melee wasn't hyped till AFTER its release. (mostly anyway) Whatever characters were added in Melee wasn't because of fan demand which is why we have characters like ICs, Marth, Roy, and Game & Watch.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I still say there is no way in hell ANY third party character will get into Smash as DLC, I just don't see it.

It seems like after King K. Rool that Isaac is the next most wanted character. Really surprises me as I never thought Golden Sun was that popular. Still would be cool for those fans.
Golden Sun was certainly popular with all my friends growing up. It quickly became the game they talked about the most, and how they loved it. I never got it until later when I bought it for cheap, and I enjoyed it alright. I'd love for a bone to thrown to the GS fanbase, because they deserve it at this point. Sort of how I've felt about our own, so I sympathize, y'know?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Holy Jesus, this thread has exploded.

And good lord will people just believe anything they hear! There is no "current poll results."
Why would there be after two days? What good would Nintendo have in showing it to us? Where would it have been taken from?

No wonder leaks get spread like wild fire, this community is worse than a general "internet forum."

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Well, sales aren't everything, but in three games they averaged 1.2m sales each. That's better than a ton of obscure Nintendo franchises.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Holy Jesus, this thread is exploded.

And good lord will people just believe anything they hear! There is no "current poll results."
Why would there be after two days? What good would Nintendo have in showing it to us? Where would it have been taken from?

No wonder leaks get spread like wild fire, this community is worse than a general "internet forum."
Everyone knows those poll results aren't official, but if someone really is counting up votes from different websites and combining them together it at least gives us a decent idea on who the most popular characters are.

The fact that the top characters are usually always the same, (K Rool, Isaac, Wonder Red, Dixie, third party character, etc) implies its probably legit. The same characters show up each time.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Holy Jesus, this thread is exploded.

Did anyone in here actually believe those were current poll results? I thought they were even labeled as "Unofficial"? Or was that a misread?

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
They are unofficial results pulled from public polls on various sites. I'm sure everyone was aware, it's a good rough gauge on the possible actual Polling Results from Nintendo.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Everyone knows those poll results aren't official, but if someone really is counting up votes from different websites and combining them together it at least gives us a decent idea on who the most popular characters are.

The fact that the top characters are usually always the same, (K Rool, Isaac, Wonder Red, Dixie, third party character, etc) implies its probably legit. The same characters show up each time.
The same characters (of different times) showed up in leaks continually, too. Bandwagoning means nothing, false sources do it to garnish false merit, and gain visibility because it is more likely to be "perceived" as true.
Assuming anyone actually went to each board and tallied the votes, actually (ya know, however that Santa-Claus-Explanation were justified);

-Smash website goers represent who knows how small of a fraction of actual votes
-I guarantee no one on those sites is checking all the different languages
-We don't know what merit votes are counted by/how many count
-Not everyone voices who they vote for
-A single, well written explanation, may trump everything

In short, the fake results show false information and spread false expectation.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Except, this isn't a leak...it's taken from various polls that have sprung up the past week. K. Rool continues to top them all.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The same characters (of different times) showed up in leaks continually, too. Bandwagoning means nothing, false sources do it to garnish false merit, and gain visibility because it is more likely to be "perceived" as true.
Assuming anyone actually went to each board and tallied the votes, actually (ya know, however that Santa-Claus-Explanation were justified);

-Smash website goers represent who knows how small of a fraction of actual votes
-I guarantee no one on those sites is checking all the different languages
-We don't know what merit votes are counted by/how many count
-Not everyone voices who they vote for
-A single, well written explanation, may trump everything

In short, the fake results show false information and spread false expectation.
I mean, we do actually have multi-lingual speakers checking the fandoms of their countries. And alot of the results popping up are polls of "Who did you vote for?" on websites.

Most of the people who'll go out of their way to vote consistently for popular characters are big Smash fans anyway. From the type that doesn't give a **** about Smash speculation but likes Smash Bros., you'll get requests for returning characters, and stuff like Goku and Bill from Contra. There's going to be such a massive pool of random names from the non-speculation crowd I'm not as concerned.

Watching trends around the world is going to be more important, and so far our intel has the King doing well.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Except, this isn't a leak...it's taken from various polls that have sprung up the past week. K. Rool continues to top them all.
No, none of them are legitimate.
They are leaks because they claim to have unobtainable information.

#FightingTheIgnorance

I'm sure K Rool is near the top of these things, but they represent nothing.

That said, if Isaac and K Rool are continually being shown as being near the top, it may boost their popularity in effect; thus, I guess I should not complain.

Last edited:

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499

Still, don't really see how that really affects Shovel Knight chances. Again, Fire Emblem never got release in the west until after Melee (and I know it wasn't fan demand but just hear me out). Marth and Roy was originally going to Japan only but they decided to keep them in for every region. English fans liked Marth and Roy and so thus, help convince Nintendo to localized some Fire Emblem games. I like to imagine it being the same way for Japanese players if Shovel Knight wins (assuming his game doesn't come out by then, lol).

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I mean, I know that. But *officially* they're perfectly accepting of making the effort. We obviously won't know all the politics, but all we can do right now is vote, eh?
It is possible yes, but as I've said. I, personally, have to see it to believe it is all. Especially for 3rd parties.

And I agree about Isaac. I would like to see as many characters in this game as possible, but I am putting my full effort and energy into 1. I also wish we didn't already have so many Anime-sword using characters in this game, because not knowing Isaac and looking at him, that is all I see, but that is just my personal opinion. I too never played Golden Sun if you couldn't already tell..lol. I'd love to see Isaac though, but ONLY after I see King K.

Last edited:
Top Bottom